Fox

7,906 Views | 68 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by NathanAllen
helltopay1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
for a variety of reasons, Fox gets a pass this year. He will not get a pass next year. the incoming recruits need to be as good or almost as good as advertised. We will need to replace thge perimeter shooting of Betley and foreman. The rotational players this year will need to step up and improve. our ability to recruit in the future will depend greatly on our improvement, or, lack of improvement next year. Getting Mahaney will be a building block..
oskidunker
Agree.
Go Bears!
BeachedBear
helltopay1 said:

for a variety of reasons, Fox gets a pass this year. He will not get a pass next year. the incoming recruits need to be as good or almost as good as advertised. We will need to replace thge perimeter shooting of Betley and foreman. The rotational players this year will need to step up and improve. our ability to recruit in the future will depend greatly on our improvement, or, lack of improvement next year. Getting Mahaney will be a building block..
I agree on all points. At the end of next season, we may know enough to determine if he is a good fit long term. When HTP1 speaks bball, it is not crazy.

Early odds are he won't do enough. But we will see.
Big C

Also agree. This off-season will be VERY important (both recruiting and player development). Am I correct that, in theory, Betley and Foreman could return, depending on their academic situation and also scholarship availability?
oskidunker
Yes, they could return.
Go Bears!
HoopDreams
who will replace the perimeter shooting of Bentley and Foreman?
SFCityBear
HoopDreams said:

who will replace the perimeter shooting of Bentley and Foreman?
And Anticevich. Let's not forget his ability to make a three, and he is graduating.
SFCityBear
Big C

Supposedly Grant has said he might return (this season doesn't count against anyone's eligibility).
calbears4ever
Anticevich has NBA potential IMO and he should go for the draft if he has the chance; he's one of Cal's best players
Civil Bear
calbears4ever said:

Anticevich has NBA potential IMO and he should go for the draft if he has the chance; he's one of Cal's best players
Being one of Cal's best does not a pro potential make.
calbears4ever
True I'm just saying
calfanz
I love Grant but he has zilch chance in the nba.

LIke zero
Everyone gets another year, so we could see Grant, Betley and Foreman all back.
calbears4ever
Or he could go back to Australia to play a few pro years there and then try for the NBA like LaMelo Ball (current Charlotte Hornets player) did
helltopay1
Cal is very stingy about who they let into grad school...
calumnus
calbears4ever said:

Or he could go back to Australia to play a few pro years there and then try for the NBA like LaMelo Ball (current Charlotte Hornets player) did

Grant will play pro in Australia if at all, but it is a pretty good life.
bearchamp
All negativity on Fox is baloney. The team is improving, and improving quickly. Everyone says Cal doesn't have enough talent, but Fox is keeping them competitive. If the team continues to make progress, the recruiting will follow along.
oskidunker
bearchamp said:

All negativity on Fox is baloney. The team is improving, and improving quickly. Everyone says Cal doesn't have enough talent, but Fox is keeping them competitive. If the team continues to make progress, the recruiting will follow along.
I am a Fox supporter but the jury is still out. He is not setting screens for the shooters, which I find very disconcerting. Its fine to pound it in to Kelly but that wont work against some teams who play a strong man to man.
Go Bears!
KoreAmBear
bearchamp said:

We are not quite at competitive level yet, unless you believe beating the 12th place team in the Pac-12 and being somewhat within double digits against the rest is competitive. But we are way above Wyking Jones levels I think we can all agree on that.
Big C

Anybody ever notice how vastly different the posts are here after we win one game, versus after a loss?
BeachedBear
bearchamp said:

Agree. ALL negativity is baloney. But some healthy criticism just means that people are paying attention (at least the dozen or so of us that remain). I hope FOX can turn it around in the next couple seasons - because he seems like a great guy. If not, I'm hoping the AD can find a coach who can.
HoopDreams
KoreAmBear said:

bearchamp said:

We are not quite at competitive level yet, unless you believe beating the 12th place team in the Pac-12 and being somewhat within double digits against the rest is competitive. But we are way above Wyking Jones levels I think we can all agree on that.
agree, but I think we are competitive with both Bradley and Grant in the lineup. We need all 5 starters to be playing to be competitive. Some teams can afford to have one of their key players out, but we are not one of them.

For Cal, we have a solid 7 or 8 player rotation when everyone is healthy
SFCityBear
KoreAmBear said:

bearchamp said:

Washington may be in 12th place at the moment, but they do have some good athletes, and they have a very good coach, so I expect them to be better by the end of the season. This has been a crazy year for college basketball, with constant schedule changes, long bus rides, almost no home court advantage, and for Cal, their best player getting injured, and arguably their 2nd best player getting seriously ill. I don't think we can evaluate this team with all the problems that the shutdowns have brought, as thoroughly as we could evaluate the team and coach in past years of normality, whatever that was. I can barely remember it.
SFCityBear
59bear
oskidunker said:

bearchamp said:

I am a Fox supporter but the jury is still out. He is not setting screens for the shooters, which I find very disconcerting. Its fine to pound it in to Kelly but that wont work against some teams who play a strong man to man.
I, too, root for Fox but he has to recruit better than he has to date. There is some raw talent on this roster and if they stay and develop (the latter being a very big if for Lars/Kuany/Celestine/Thorpe), we can be respectable. I think he's a solid coach but he's never shown the ability to recruit top talent anywhere he's been.
tthompson993
Agree but I believe he has a better staff of assistants here than his previous stops and I think that his 2021 recruiting class will be a significant upgrade for us
calumnus
tthompson993 said:

Agree but I believe he has a better staff of assistants here than his previous stops and I think that his 2021 recruiting class will be a significant upgrade for us

The 2021 class has two 3 stars and one NR. It is the 8th ranked class in the PAC-12 (in avg rating as well). I like the guys, they may be underrated, but in replacing Antecevich, Foreman and Betley they do not appear to be a "significant" upgrade (though we can always hope). Maybe if they help us land the 2022 and 2023 guys we want?
calumnus
59bear said:

oskidunker said:

bearchamp said:

I, too, root for Fox but he has to recruit better than he has to date. There is some raw talent on this roster and if they stay and develop (the latter being a very big if for Lars/Kuany/Celestine/Thorpe), we can be respectable. I think he's a solid coach but he's never shown the ability to recruit top talent anywhere he's been.

In his third season at Georgia he had the #32 ranked class (his highest before or after) when he got McDonald's All American 5 star Kentavious Caldwell-Pope from the Atlanta metro to stay home.

People may remember Cal beat that Fox Georgia team 70-46 in a tournament in Kansas City.

The next year as a sophomore Caldwell-Pope won SEC Player of the Year leading Georgia to a 15-17 (9-9) record before leaving to the NBA as the #8 pick.
01Bear
calumnus said:

59bear said:

oskidunker said:

bearchamp said:

In his third season at Georgia he had the #32 ranked class (his highest before or after) when he got McDonald's All American 5 star Kentavious Caldwell-Pope from the Atlanta metro to stay home.

People may remember Cal beat that Fox Georgia team 70-46 in a tournament in Kansas City.

The next year as a sophomore Caldwell-Pope won SEC Player of the Year leading Georgia to a 15-17 (9-9) record before leaving to the NBA as the #8 pick.

Calumnus, I don't mean to be snarky with this question, but would you suggest Cuonzo Martin is a good recruiter? On its face, he managed to recruit Ivan Rabb and Jaylen Brown to Cal and he recruited Michael Porter, Jr. to Missouri. But arguably, Ivan Rabb would've attended Cal so long as the coach was halfway decent and Jaylen Brown was interested in attending a school that had Cal's history of social consciousness and academic cachet. In other words, it was Cal and not the coach that recruited these elite players. In the case of Michael Porter, Jr., he went to the school where his dad was just hired. Whether this was a condition of his dad's hiring is unknown. But it doesn't seem to be Cuinzo Martin's recruiting prowess nor his abilities as a coach that led the younger Porter to Missouri for his one(?) year of higher education.

Does anyone know the story behind Kentavious Caldwell-Pope's recruitment to Georgia by Mark Fox? Would he have gone to Georgia regardless of who was coaching? Was his matriculation at UGA part of some package deal? Or was this really a recruiting coup by Mark Fox who managed to convince an elite high school basketball talent to play for him?
SFCityBear
01Bear said:

calumnus said:

59bear said:

oskidunker said:

bearchamp said:

Calumnus, I don't mean to be snarky with this question, but would you suggest Cuonzo Martin is a good recruiter? On its face, he managed to recruit Ivan Rabb and Jaylen Brown to Cal and he recruited Michael Porter, Jr. to Missouri. But arguably, Ivan Rabb would've attended Cal so long as the coach was halfway decent and Jaylen Brown was interested in attending a school that had Cal's history of social consciousness and academic cachet. In other words, it was Cal and not the coach that recruited these elite players. In the case of Michael Porter, Jr., he went to the school where his dad was just hired. Whether this was a condition of his dad's hiring is unknown. But it doesn't seem to be Cuinzo Martin's recruiting prowess nor his abilities as a coach that led the younger Porter to Missouri for his one(?) year of higher education.

Does anyone know the story behind Kentavious Caldwell-Pope's recruitment to Georgia by Mark Fox? Would he have gone to Georgia regardless of who was coaching? Was his matriculation at UGA part of some package deal? Or was this really a recruiting coup by Mark Fox who managed to convince an elite high school basketball talent to play for him?
I can't answer your questions about Fox and Kentavious, but Cuonzo Martin had been recruiting Jaylen Brown while Martin was coaching at Tennessee, and had built a long term relationship with him which started well before Martin had come to Cal, according to Martin. Not only that, but Rabb and Brown had gotten to know each other at All-Star games, and Rabb was also apparently influential in persuading Brown to come to Cal.
SFCityBear
4thGenCal
01Bear said:

calumnus said:

59bear said:

oskidunker said:

bearchamp said:

Couldn't be more wrong Ivan stated multiple times - that Cuonzo was the biggest factor in his choosing Cal as he appreciated his relentless and honest pursuit. He also has said that he grew up under Coach's tutalege both on and off the court. His Mom also confirmed that playing for Cuonzo was the deciding factor.
Cuonzo was an excellent recruiter and the list of those players that wanted to play for him, but were denied by a very tough admissions policy was also very impressive. Yes Ivan was key for JB recruitment, but Jaylen also said that he was attracted to Cal because of Cuonzoc's straight talk with him.
HoopDreams
Given the right place I think Martin is a very strong recruiter.

Cal just had too many hurdles to overcome for the type of athletes he wanted.

What would have launched Cal would have been a deep run in the dance which that team was capable of with a full team. With a sweet sixteen or elite eight he could have signed some talent that was both great recruits but also meet cal's requirements

But without that success lifting Cal's profile and the handling of the asst coach fiasco, he was left with continuing to recruit questionable players that were never going to make it at Cal. Think Coleman for example.

So his recruiting strategy failed leaving Cal with thin teams and boarder line players like Chauca that he needed to sign late

He showed he could recruit at Missouri signing the Porter brothers (and their dad) but got unlucky with their injury

But his team is doing well this season which doesn't surprise me.

Basically Martin was a poor match, but I think all things considered (solid coach, strong leader, strong recruiter, clean program) he is a good coach, and I was sad to see him leave
calumnus
01Bear said:

calumnus said:

59bear said:

oskidunker said:

bearchamp said:

Others have stated it, but yes, Cuonzo Martin is essentially a good recruiter, though he made strategic mistakes at Cal, such as trying to fill his first class and stretching (Chauca) rather than holding onto the scholarship for his next class when the lure of playing with Brown, Rabb (and Lee) might have brought in even more elite talent.

From what I've read Fox just did a good job recruiting Caldwell-Pope (who was a quiet guy) by just being low-key and sincere. The type of thing we used to hear about Ben Braun in recruiting (Leon Powe for example). However, Caldwell-Pope did feel slighted by Kentucky, while Fox told him he could really make a difference at Georgia. His other finalists were Tennessee and Florida State.

No other Georgia player in Fox's 9 years made the NBA. . His best success was in his first years at Nevada and at Georgia coaching players brought in by his predecessors. In that way he reminds me of some other defense first coaches like Braun and Howland. After that Fox's results don't vary much wether he has talent or not. His record actually improved the year after Caldwell-Pope left. He mostly filled his team with 3 star Georgia players after the best players were picked over by other programs, then played slow-down upset-minded basketball with many different lineups and strange substitution patterns. Other SEC coaches loved him and would speak up for him whenever it appeared his job was on the line.
01Bear
SFCityBear said:

01Bear said:

calumnus said:

59bear said:

oskidunker said:

bearchamp said:

I can't answer your questions about Fox and Kentavious, but Cuonzo Martin had been recruiting Jaylen Brown while Martin was coaching at Tennessee, and had built a long term relationship with him which started well before Martin had come to Cal, according to Martin. Not only that, but Rabb and Brown had gotten to know each other at All-Star games, and Rabb was also apparently influential in persuading Brown to come to Cal.

I stand corrected!
01Bear
4thGenCal said:

01Bear said:

calumnus said:

59bear said:

oskidunker said:

bearchamp said:

Couldn't be more wrong Ivan stated multiple times - that Cuonzo was the biggest factor in his choosing Cal as he appreciated his relentless and honest pursuit. He also has said that he grew up under Coach's tutalege both on and off the court. His Mom also confirmed that playing for Cuonzo was the deciding factor.
Cuonzo was an excellent recruiter and the list of those players that wanted to play for him, but were denied by a very tough admissions policy was also very impressive. Yes Ivan was key for JB recruitment, but Jaylen also said that he was attracted to Cal because of Cuonzoc's straight talk with him.

I stand corrected!
sluggo
HoopDreams said:

KoreAmBear said:

bearchamp said:

agree, but I think we are competitive with both Bradley and Grant in the lineup. We need all 5 starters to be playing to be competitive. Some teams can afford to have one of their key players out, but we are not one of them.

For Cal, we have a solid 7 or 8 player rotation when everyone is healthy
To me Cal has one excellent players (Bradley) and a bunch of role players. They need two more players that the other team has to plan around, and for Bradley to stay. Next year Brown, Kelly, Celestine and Lars T. (ducks) could be more than role players, but none are there yet (Kelly is the closest, IMO). I have big hopes for Alajiki next year. His videos are impressive, although not against the best competition.
3146gabby
Two distinct coaching actions that deserve scrutiny: Xs and Oxs and recruiting. Fox is better than any other Xs and Os coach I have seen since the late 1960s excluding Montgomery. It is however an area that can be objectively and fully criticized. Braun could recruit, he couldn't coach. It is has been said before but his coaching with what he has is excellent.

Recruiting - 'what he needs' - is a much more difficult item to assess. Unlike on court coaching against one team, one coach, recruiting involves competition against national and Pac12 coaches with significant resumes, Ariz,., UCLA, Duke, Michigan, et al. While UCB is a terrific sell in itself Fox is running uphill against the other programs.

Other recruiting +/-s might be personality, parental wishes, etc. and frankly we have no idea how Fox fares when in the home of a recruit. To say he has one more year to recruit more effectively is not connected much to this reality.

It is the coaching that hopefully will get him to a point where he can recruit against the big programs.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.