OT-Excellent SI piece-WNBA 25 years

1,711 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Chabbear
CalWSportsFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Excellent piece by Kate ***an on the WNBA and what the future holds. Worth reading for any fan of women's basketball and/or women's sports in general.

" The reasons people give for not watching the WNBA are plentiful and familiar. Now, as the league begins its 25th season of soldiering on in the face of those tired arguments, perhaps the time has come to consider what it will take for the league not just to survive, but to thrive."

https://apple.news/AHNihdok7Qmii9U9WOFykGA

(I guess part of author's name is forbidden word)
stu
Link for those not in the Apple universe:
https://www.si.com/wnba/2021/05/13/wnba-25th-season-daily-cover
CalWSportsFan
stu said:

Link for those not in the Apple universe:
https://www.si.com/wnba/2021/05/13/wnba-25th-season-daily-cover

Thanks Stu!
BearBint
Just read the article and sent it to everyone I know who's even slightly interested in women's sports.

I note that the author didn't say much about sexism, and I can understand her wanting to stay positive and focused on more pragmatic issues. However, there are some scary people out there who resent women's presence on traditionally male turf: https://www.npr.org/2021/03/20/979594971/sidelined-author-on-vicious-treatment-of-women-in-sports-world
BearBint
BearBint said:

Just read the article and sent it to everyone I know who's even slightly interested in women's sports.

I note that the author didn't say much about sexism, and I can understand her wanting to stay positive and focused on more pragmatic issues. However, there are some unpleasant/downright scary people out there who resent women's presence on traditionally male turf: https://www.npr.org/2021/03/20/979594971/sidelined-author-on-vicious-treatment-of-women-in-sports-world

I hit respond-and-quote instead of edit, but the above/second comment is what I wanted to actually express. And, yes, I agree with bearkat about homophobia.
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
bearkat
Also, homophobia.
OBear073akaSMFan
CalWSportsFa said:

(I guess part of author's name is forbidden word)
Kathy ***an? why?

Note: After posting name...I see why!
wvitbear
When you can get college women to attend college wbball games, then you will do OK. As an older white hetereosexual male, there are more of us the games than coeds.
ClayK
Generally a good article, but:

1) WNBA franchises have zero value. So when she says NBA teams lose money in a particular year, it's true, but the increase in franchise value more than makes up for it.

Most WNBA teams lose between $1 and $2 million a year, and in years when they make money, it's not much, so financially, the league is not healthy. If franchises had value, and that value was increasing, then the WNBA would attract more owners.

2) Marketing does not drive interest. I was a rock critic for a long time, and using the music industry ...

In the early 1960s, record companies did all they could to keep rock and roll from replacing the Frank Sinatras of the world, and there was zero marketing for rock and roll. Except the Beatles, and others, overwhelmed the marketplace with the quality of their product.

In the mid-70s, there was no marketing for punk. It had brief moments of glory.

In the early '80s, no one in the industry marketed or cared about heavy metal. The product created interest despite resistance from the record companies, even without marketing.

And of course, there's still a lot of pushback against hip-hop, but it simply was too popular for marketing to overcome.

Marketing can help draw attention to a product, but then the quality of the product must keep the audience marketing has drawn. Most basketball fans have seen the WNBA (I would venture to say all), and interest is what it is.

Now, on the flip side, if you would have said, in 1990, that women's professional basketball could draw 4,500 paying customers on a regular basis during the summer, you would have been laughed out of the office. It's really impressive what the WNBA has done, and it's really a good league, with quality players and coaching.

But that leads to another of ***an's points that's misleading. She says that there's no coverage of the league in terms of what coaches should be fired, who should be traded, etc., but that's in part because the WNBA comes with such heavy political and societal baggage that many people a) don't want to criticize it because it makes them seem anti-feminist, and b) they want the league to succeed so badly they feel any negative comments will be used against it.

All in all, she did a good job, but like so much coverage of the WNBA, it was a little too worshipful and a little too "you ought to be watching." People watch sports to be entertained and for a lot of basketball fans, the WNBA just isn't that entertaining. It doesn't have to do with anti-female attitudes, in many cases; it's just that the game isn't as athletic and explosive as the NBA.
CalWSportsFan
Some good points Clay....

However, if one looks at the success of women's soccer and the USWNT, one could suggest that audiences can appreciate female athletes performing at their very best, even when compared to male athletes competing in the same sport. Surely male soccer players are more athletic and their abilities on the field reflect that, yet fans have grown to appreciate women's soccer for the game that it is. I think women's basketball can be appreciated as being a different (under the rim) game. Granted the USWNT has a world stage on which to display their prowess, but one can hope and believe that more can be done to effectively promote women's basketball as an exciting, yet different, style.

As an aside, I always am taken aback by the men on Twitter (and elsewhere) who routinely disparage the WNBA and ask myself if they dislike it so much, why bother to complain? Clearly it's on their radar and somehow dissing the women makes them feel superior in some fashion. They care enough about the game to criticize it....I'd like to see any of the critics go one on one with a WNBA player.

Onward and upward.
ClayK
The Olympics and World Championships are different than a full-on American league -- which is why NWSL soccer has struggled to make much money. A couple franchises do well, but they do not a league make.

But that is a key point: Fans will watch elite women athletes (tennis, for example), so that's not a blanket barrier to success. (The males with small appendages, though, will never go away ...)
wvitbear
Don't worry about the men. Get the women to turn out.
ClayK
wvitbear said:

Don't worry about the men. Get the women to turn out.
Absolutely. Girls and women do not support women's sports any more than boys and men do. It would be great if girls and women made conscious choices to attend women's basketball games, say, instead of men's.

So far, though, that has not happened.
wifeisafurd
I follow women's basketball, admittedly more on the college level. I'm a fan. I have been to a few WNBA games (Sparks), and the game experience is much more laid back - lot of the crowd is PG - especially young girls with dads on the weekend. Not the NBA game environment. Very different scene. The WNBA games I attended have not been crowded either. I'm not going to address WNBA vs NBA stuff in the article. I think it is a meaningless narrative. The men's game is far more entrenched in our culture. Most people is SoCal who are basketball fans have been Lakers fans since they were young kids.

The interesting part for me was the premise that if you invest money, especially from sponsors, you will get some huge traction. I question that. Soccer is the most popular sports on earth. The US women are a gold standard. They have personality, sponsors, etc. The US men's league also money, sponsors, etc. but not the gravitas of the women's players. It still hasn't work. Most young kids play soccer these days, they just don't go watch it. I look at the WNBA and I keep thinking this is soccer in the US.

So what does WNBA lack?

A more centralized structure dedicated to the league. The league is governed by the NBA Board of Governors that views the WNBA league as the red headed step daughter. The control of the pursestrings means that the central NBA is the more authoritative figure relative to things like licensing, sponsorships, broadcast rights, etc. It is more like you are a Lakers sponsor, why don't you share a little love with the Sparks? Emphasis on a little.

The NFL in the early 2000s realized that women were a forgotten demographic for them from a marketing perspective, but in fact ended up watching lots of games. Their research showed that women considered football nights "family nights"- typically watching with husbands and kids. And women like going to football games. This is partly due to the smaller number of games and the focus on Sunday football in particular. But the NFL then kicked the NBAs and MLB arse in terms of popularity. Number one favored sport of adult women -football by a lot. The WNBA from what I see does cater to girls and maybe even younger moms. But guess what? Guys and their wives like to watch basketball? Why not cater to the Mrs. and me?

I believe football has surpassed other spots because of it's popularity in the college ranks. More and more people are going to college football as a whole has done a great job in selling itself in college first, making you invest into players at an early age, and watching them play out in the pros. Would even care about the Packers if not for AR? Anyone ever watched a college soccer match? There is a lot the NFL does in coordination with college football. I realize this is longer term payoff, but the WNBA might look at the NFL for some inspiration.

On a more micro basis, BB has lots of stops in the game, so it is perfect for television. There are commercial breaks at the quarter and half and during timeouts and play reviews. This helps it pay for itself with advertisements. Okay, but we are talking butts in seats. The difference between play stoppage at a Lakers game and the Sparks is freaking dramatically different. The Sparks have the more entertaining dancers of all age groups and genders, but everything else in not major league. Also, drop the concession prices. You are not the NBA with the top 10% paying for tickets and attending. Make taking the fan family to the game a lot less expensive.

In any event, if you are reading this have not gone to a WNBA game, take the family to see the local team.

Chabbear
Of course, it is impossible to go to a WNBA game if you live in the SF bay area.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.