Claudia Langarita

6,924 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Schroeder71
SFCALBear72
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Charmin just posted a "Cal Commitment" announcement from this young woman on her Instagram.

She is a 6'4 Freshman Forward from Spain who played for USF last season. Four-time WCC Freshman of the Week. Sound familiar??

Season averages: 10.5 points, 3.4 rebounds.
Baygbear
Four time WCC freshman of the week and earned All-Freshman team. USF Instagram page has a highlight mixtape of her play.

She was only a freshman but from what I saw this is the type of play that I was expecting from Daniels. 6'4 with guard skills and can shoot from 3-point line.

I'm excited because I thought losing Daniels would be a big blow since she was starting to come into her own at the end of the season however Langarita seems to be the exact same product, if not more because of her outside shooting. Go Bears!
stu
Interesting prospect. According to the USF site:
* studying architecture
* started only 7 games but played 4th most minutes on the team
* overall .484 FG%, .304 3G%, .700 FT%
* conference .495 FG%, .333 3G%, .700 FT%
* per 30 minutes: 13.9 PTS, 4.5 REB, 1.3 AST, 0.6 ST, 0.8 BL, 2.9 TO, 3.6 PF

To me those look like freshie numbers. I'd expect her rebounds and shooting percentages to go up and her turnovers to go down as she matures. It's a good sign that her shooting and scoring improved in conference play.

Low rebounds and attempting more threes than free throws makes me think she doesn't play around the basket much.

The biggest statistical differences I see between her and Dalayah are rebounding and threes.
CalFanatic
Langarita, Tuitele and Bonner will more than ease the losses we've experienced. In Charmin I trust.
Schroeder71
Claudia Langerita seems exactly what the doctor ordered! She has substantial upside potential based upon her suprisingly strong frosh season. This young lady seems to be more offensive-oriented than Cal's other post players. She played approximately ten minutes per game more than Michelle Onyiah. Based upon her stats, she needs to work on her defense and ball-handling. Langerita led the Dons in personal fouls & turnovers. She fouled out against the Bears. She can be the team's tour guide when the take their trip to Spain. GO BEARS!
Finnish Oski
Quote:

Langarita, Tuitele and Bonner will more than ease the losses we've experienced. In Charmin I trust.
My sentiments exactly. Also if Ortiz, Smith, Heide, Elsnitz are all healthy we could be in really good shape.
stu
I wonder if Claudia was the answer when I asked Charmin if we were recruiting anyone in Spain. Maybe more?
wbbilluminati
Lucky for us, USF probably disappointed to lose what seemed like a great find for them. Interest in Architecture however might be a better fit for Cal no? I seem to recall a good program for that.

Again, I think Charmin understands recruiting for Cal. She's going after players that Cal has a realistic shot at (both landing and retaining) for various reasons while still casting a broad net.

And I'll say it again, I'd love to see us recruit more international players. Times are changing, but I think going back to that approach (which Cal WBB seemed to do more in the 90's) would make sense now.

Update: YIKES! I take back any sympathy I had for USF - https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20220418005397/en/Gaw-Poe-LLP-Files-Evidence-Supporting-Ongoing-Lawsuit-Against-University-of-San-Francisco-Alleging-Pervasive-Abusive-Conduct-by-Women's-Basketball-Coach-Molly-Goodenbour-Against-Student-Athletes
Ashfield63
wbbilluminati said:

Lucky for us, USF probably disappointed to lose what seemed like a great find for them. Interest in Architecture however might be a better fit for Cal no? I seem to recall a good program for that.

Again, I think Charmin understands recruiting for Cal. She's going after players that Cal has a realistic shot at (both landing and retaining) for various reasons while still casting a broad net.

And I'll say it again, I'd love to see us recruit more international players. Times are changing, but I think going back to that approach (which Cal WBB seemed to do more in the 90's) would make sense now.

Update: YIKES! I take back any sympathy I had for USF - https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20220418005397/en/Gaw-Poe-LLP-Files-Evidence-Supporting-Ongoing-Lawsuit-Against-University-of-San-Francisco-Alleging-Pervasive-Abusive-Conduct-by-Women's-Basketball-Coach-Molly-Goodenbour-Against-Student-Athletes

Unfortunately, this type of abuse in Women Collegiate programs happens. Eventhough the players file statements to the appropriate officials re: their experiences, there is an investigation, and the AD announces all is okay in some instances. However, some are eventually let go.. I have read about coaches being fired during the past few years. Texas Tech eventually fired their coach Marlene Stollings, in August of 2020. Michelle Voepel wrote an excellent article for ESPN, Sept 3, 2020. I just googled it. Sheryl Swoopes was fired when she was HC at Loyola Chicago, on July 4, 2016. I have read many articles about this subject of coaches mistreating players. The abuses have a common thread. Quentin Hillsman was allowed to resign on August 4, 2021. The University conducted an external review of the program.

annarborbear
Really liked the offensive highlight film. Nice driving ability, outside shooting, and crafty coordinated moves around the basket. Hope that she can also play some defense.
HoopDreams
https://instagr.am/p/CclA1VHreVf

HoopDreams
looks like she has a variety of post scoring moves

stu
I looked up the stats for the Cal-USF game last fall since I was there but don't remember any of the details. Claudia fouled out in 11 minutes and Evelien fouled out in 10. Good thing they're on the same team now.
HoopDreams
I like this transfer for a number of reasons, including...

- she can score around the basket with a variety of shots
- she seems to be pretty mobile in the post
- she has needed post length to defend and rebound - something this team lacks besides Michelle
- she can stretch the court with her shooting
- she's only a freshmen yet performed well against legit competition - often times bigs take longer to grow into their bodies and gain lower body strength to be mobile, quick and balanced enough
annarborbear
I would like to see her stand next to some other player for a height comparison. Listed as 6'2" when recruited by USF, but then listed as 6'4" on the USF roster. Those extra inches are hopefully now there.
stu
Let's see how Cal measures her. At the recent WBB banquet I was able to stand near several players and determine their listed heights are pretty accurate.
stu
It's official:
https://calbears.com/news/2022/4/25/womens-basketball-cal-adds-forward-claudia-langarita-for-2022-23.aspx
HoopDreams
stu said:

Let's see how Cal measures her. At the recent WBB banquet I was able to stand near several players and determine their listed heights are pretty accurate.
"6-foot-4 forward Claudia Langarita"
SBGold
We should get Dickey from USF as well.

Horstmeyer was mentioned as defending for USD, is she the daughter of our former coach Caryn?
wvitbear
It is her daughter. I sat with Karen at one of their high school games. At that time Santa Clara was there scouting.

I don't think she would be any thing more than a role player for us. Decent high school player but sort of a tweener.
Ashfield63
stu said:

I looked at the USF roster photo for 2021-2022. Claudia is standing in the back shoulder to shoulder next to a freshman from Brazil, who is listed as 6.5 feet. Unfortunately, the Freshman was injured and did not play at all.
It looks like 6-4 is not overstating her height....Great!
Baygbear

Schroeder71
Langarita (#13) played most of the second half of the 1st quarter. She only played a couple minutes in the 2nd & 3rd and started for Spain in the final quarter. The Spanish team had the top 3-4 bigs in this game against Lithuania.

Langartia missed a wide-open layup to start her game but then converted two inside shots. She missed a left-handed hook and an offensive rebound put back in the opening period. Thereafter-she missed two open outside shots badly (one from 10-12 feet from the side and another from the free throw line) and a reverse layup under- neath. I have not seen the stat sheet but I would estimate that she was only 2 for 8 or so from the field. The new Cal Bear does appear to have a knack for offensive rebounding, however.

Spain has a decent team. It will be interesting to see how far they go in this European Tournament. Thanks for the link-absolutely 100% clear.

GO BEARS!
Baygbear
Muca (Albania) played against Stanford's Bosgana (Greece) today and it was not pretty. Greece won by100 points.
HoopDreams
Schroeder71 said:

Langarita (#13) played most of the second half of the 1st quarter. She only played a couple minutes in the 2nd & 3rd and started for Spain in the final quarter. The Spanish team had the top 3-4 bigs in this game against Lithuania.

Langartia missed a wide-open layup to start her game but then converted two inside shots. She missed a left-handed hook and an offensive rebound put back in the opening period. Thereafter-she missed two open outside shots badly (one from 10-12 feet from the side and another from the free throw line) and a reverse layup under- neath. I have not seen the stat sheet but I would estimate that she was only 2 for 8 or so from the field. The new Cal Bear does appear to have a knack for offensive rebounding, however.

Spain has a decent team. It will be interesting to see how far they go in this European Tournament. Thanks for the link-absolutely 100% clear.

GO BEARS!

yeah, from what I saw, it wasn't a great game for her. I'm hopeful she can hit that mid-range shot though as she didn't hesitate to take it. None of our bigs have any outside shot, although Eveline is developing one

she seemed to be in the right place defensively, and she ran a good screen and roll, although she missed the bunny
SFCALBear72
HoopDreams said:

Schroeder71 said:

GO BEARS!

yeah, from what I saw, it wasn't a great game for her. I'm hopeful she can hit that mid-range shot though as she didn't hesitate to take it. None of our bigs have any outside shot, although Eveline is developing one

she seemed to be in the right place defensively, and she ran a good screen and roll, although she missed the bunny
Good grief!!

Give her a chance to get some quality practice time with her new Golden Bear teammates. Nit-picking on July 9. The season hasn't started yet, but the critiques have.

I applaud her for representing her country in this tournament and look forward to seeing her on the court in Haas. Is that so hard to say?

Same sentiments for Ornela too.
Ashfield63
Hey, give Claudia time to play in more games to make shots, for goodness sake.....She is defensively strong. Remember she played in the WCC, not the Pac-12 last season. I give her credit for making the under 20 - team for Spain. Certainly, Claudia will contribute much to the Bears!!!
HoopDreams
I said it wasn't a great game for her

I didn't say she was not a good player

All players have bad games … e.g. Curry missing ALL his three point shots in the Finals game

I even gave her credit for things she did even when the result was a missed shot
annarborbear
Is it possible for some posters to make a point on here without trying to silence others? Most of us are ok with hearing different views.

Thank you HoopDreams for giving us your report.
Schroeder71
QUARTER-FINALS: Hungary v Spain | Full Basketball Game | FIBA U20 Women's European Championship 2022 - YouTube

quarterfinal between Spain at Hungary
GATC
Schroeder71 said:

QUARTER-FINALS: Hungary v Spain | Full Basketball Game | FIBA U20 Women's European Championship 2022 - YouTube

quarterfinal between Spain at Hungary

Thanks. Didn't see her play until halfway through the 3rd quarter and she didn't start the 4th so I stopped watching. She was +7 (I think she went in with Spain leading by 4 and left with Spain up by 11). She made a 2', missed a 2', missed a 3 that rattled out, then made a nice right side drive. She looked comfortable on the court and asks for the ball.
SFCALBear72
Spain's point guard (#4) is worth a look by Cal coaches. She's quick, can shoot and distributes the ball quite well.
Schroeder71
wrong game: Spain did not have #4 PG nor #13 PF Langarita (must be different year ?)

semi-final: Spain vs France
Schroeder71
SEMI-FINALS: Spain v Italy | Full Basketball Game | FIBA U20 Women's European Championship 2022 - YouTube

Italy vs Spain on July, 15th!
Schroeder71
FINAL: Czech Republic v Spain | Full Basketball Game | FIBA U20 Women's European Championship 2022 - YouTube

Czech Republic vs Spain on July 16th-championship (gold medal game)

Spain is ahead 12-10 at the end of the first quarter. Langarita played over half of the period and did not score. She did grab rebounds, however. At intermission, Spain holds a 23-14 lead. Both teams cannot score. Spain is out shooting the Czechs 27% to 17% from the floor.

I'm not going to watch the second half. Spain in undefeated in the Euro Tourney and has averaged 22 steals per game. It's their defense that seems to be the difference. Their closest game was a ten point victory over Poland. Italy defeated France in the bronze medal game.

Langarita missed two high percentage shots in the 1st half. She missed a left-handed layup off of a screen and roll plus missed a ten foot baseline shot. I predict that Spain will win.

GO BEARS!

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.