St Marys game prediction

3,100 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Schroeder71
Schroeder71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I predict that the Bears will hold on in Moraga to defeat the Gaels, 80-70. Cal seems to have improved this season whereas St Mary's seems about the same. They graduated Maddie Holland (Mitty) and have added GR TR Claire Steele at PG. Steele started for four seasons for Lehigh as their floor leader and decided to return home for her fifth and final campaign. She played for Miramonte HS.

St Mary's continues to feature 6-3 Ali Bamberger (14.7 ppg/ 8.7 rpg) in the post and dead-eye three-point artist, Taycee Wedin (16 ppg), at SG. Claire Steele has nicely chipped in w/ 9.3 ppg as the point guard. In the two games that they won they dominated the rebounding with 42 in each game. They did have an uncharacteristic 26 & 25 turnovers in those two contests, too, evidently acclimating to their new PG. In their home loss to Rice, the Owls outrebounded the Gaels 46-24. Rice garnered 19 offensive boards and controlled the game, 77-64. St Marys did seem to get their ball-handling under control, only commiting 13 TOs.

Cal has more scoring options but I'm still not certain how strong their rebounding is this season. This is why I'm keeping this game close on the road. If the Bears dominate inside, the margin of victory could be higher.
GO BEARS!
SFCALBear72
X-factor: Assistant Coach, Heidi Heintz, spent the past 3 seasons on the St. Mary's coaching staff.
smh
streaming smc game tips at 2pm..
https://wccsports.com/watch/?sid=493996
stu
Leilani gets us rolling with 5 points.
stu
We're giving up too many layups. And too many offensive rebounds.
stu
After one quarter Cal has 1 assist and 4 TO. We lost 2 threes an a moving screen and a travel. Lost another three on a foul away from the ball.
stu
Cal down 31-33 at the half. We're looking a little slow.

Surprisingly we played much of the 2nd quarter with neither Leilani nor Jayda on the floor. With Kemery, Karisma, Mia, Amaya, and Evelien our interior defense looked a bit better but out offense was a little ragged.

We have 3 assists to 10 turnovers and so far we're shooting just 36%.
Schroeder71
Terrible play by Cal during first half. The Bears did not rebound well nor did they defend the Gaels 3 primary scorers. Kemery Martin was 0-5 (missed the rim twice) plus three turnovers. The other transfers were invisible in Peanut Tuitele (0) and Claudia Langerita (0). Michelle Onyiah played three minutes and set a moving screen that wiped out a three point basket by Karisma Ortiz. Cal has ten turnovers and only three assists at intermission. Jayda Curry got in foul trouble and only played 10 minutes w/ 4 points. The Bears are on schedule to score 62 points rather than 80ish.

GATC
Completely taken Jayda out of the game with questionable offensive fouls. St Mary's is playing hard and is getting away with fouls. Mia's playing well.
stu
We are not looking sharp. many passes to nowhere.
stu
Now we're getting beaten on fast breaks.

Claudia is showing some offense but not much defense. Actually none of our interior defenders are looking good. Maybe Michelle could do better but she's played only a few minutes.
stu
Overall I'm surprised our offense is having so much trouble.
stu
I just saw Sela in street clothes. Wonder how she would have done.
stu
OMG! Bamberger misses 2 FT with 4 seconds remaining. Cal with a 1 point lead and the ball!
Oakbear
Up trphree
stu
Leilani finished with 18 points and 5 rebounds, she's my player of the game. IMHO Karisma also played well.
stu
Oakbear said:

Up trphree
Somebody's too excited to spell.
Finnish Oski
That should prove to be a confidence building win.
"I'm just here so I won't get fined."
stu
We got the W, nobody got hurt, and I didn't have a heart attack.
GATC
Did anyone see that foul on Peanut with 5 seconds left? Fortunately Ali missed both free throws. She made all the free throws before but the pressure got to her I guess. Leilani was clutch. She's really playing with confidence this year. Combine that with her natural intensity she's really becoming the key player. Love Charmin putting in Mia is defensive situations and pulling Jayda back when we get the ball. The defensive team of Leilani, Charisma, Mia, Peanut and Claudia looks good.
stu
I see problems with post defense. Michelle is our only post with plus athleticism and Sela is our only post with plus length. For various reasons neither have been able to play many minutes.
Oakbear
Wbb has three (I can spell this when calm) wins

Will mbb get three wins this year?
stu
Oakbear said:

Wbb has three (I can spell this when calm) wins

Will mbb get three wins this year?
Will the MBB coach get three more opportunities?
wvitbear
Bamberger was short on the first free throw. And you know she wasn't going to be short on the second so she was too long. Great win because we didn't play well.

Leilani was definitely the star. But I tip my hat to Bonner who's defense was a turning point. She is so quick but fairly tall. Her shot needs working on but her defense was great. Teamed up well with Mia. Lots of long arms there.

Martin looked like she forgot she wasn't a star after the last game and tried to force things. Because we are so deep, a different star each night.

I'm glad Stu didn't have a heart attack. I don't know if he was at the game or at home but make sure someone with CPR training is nearby.
stu
I was at home. Four blocks from a big hospital.
wvitbear
By the way, we finally returned to our good free throw shooting. And it probably won us the game.

Where do you live Stu?
stu
I think our perimeter defense stepped up with Karisma, Mia, and Amaya on the floor. They're going to be an opposing coach's nightmare.
stu
I live near the Summit Medical Center in Oakland. What's weird is that's also where I was born. How many Californians can say that?
CalFanatic
St. Mary's is always a tough opponent. Consistent, well coached and fundamentally sound. I'll take the W!

3-1
annarborbear
Against Notre Dame, we were 9-22 on threes. Today it was 4-15. That is an area where we will have to deliver results in order to win in the league.
stu
Definitely. We could also improve our 9 assists to 16 turnovers.
polarbear
Bears win and Furd loses! All good!
BearBint
stu said:

We got the W, nobody got hurt, and I didn't have a heart attack.

Classic Cardiac Cal.
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
BearBint
Heart-Pounding Palms of Victory!
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
SFCALBear72
I was at the game. Officiating was horrendous. Calls not the same at both ends of the court. Refs imposed their will on the game. Hard for us to establish any flow. I was worried Charmin might pick up a technical foul.

But, like yesterday at the Big Game. The 4th Quarter was ours!!

Lots of Cal fans in attendance. We are taking credit for their #33 missing both free throws at the end of the game.

Go Bears!!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.