NCAA bracket selection, today (Sunday), 5 pm, PDT

2,029 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by HoopDreams
BearBint
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.espn.com/watch/player/_/id/ec9a2a21-15c6-49d3-8de3-44060c5dc5d7
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
Schroeder71
I love Selection Sunday. The Men's show comes on at 3pm on channel 5. Women's show at 5 pm (ESPN).
GO Pac 12!!
SFCALBear72

1 Selection Show completed; 1 to go.

4 Pac-12 Men's teams are headed to the Tournament: Arizona, ASU, UCLA and USC.
I.E.Bear
7 PAC-12 teams in for the women.

Congrats to UCLA, USC, Stanford, Colorado, Utah, WSU and Arizona.

IF they get past the first round...I'm excited about the possibility for a USC/Virginia Tech and Arizona/Maryland matchup.
I.E.Bear
Also, Oregon and Washington accepted bids for the WNIT.
annarborbear
Three schools that took our portal transfers last year - Washington, Colorado State and Rice - make the post-season. McKenzie Forbes also in at Harvard.
Ashfield63
annarborbear said:

Three schools that took our portal transfers last year - Washington, Colorado State and Rice - make the post-season. McKenzie Forbes also in at Harvard.

I watched the Ivy League Championship game yesterday. Princeton was seeded #1, Columbia #2 and Harvard #3 ........Harvard beat Columbia in O.T. the day before. McKenzie Forbes scored 27 points for the victory. Harvard led Princeton in almost the entire game, but Princeton started making baskets, and secured the victory. Harvard lost energy near the end of the game. Mckenzie is in great shape, very toned, and playing well for Harvard all season. Harvard's coach is in her first year with the Crimson. Let's see how Princeton plays in the NCAA tournament. They play at a slower pace then Pac-12 teams. Also, I watched Iowa State beat Texas in the Championship game in the Big-12. Cal needs the size and height of Iowa State.......Sacramento State(winner of their conference tournament) plays UCLA on Friday in a first round game........Lots of games to watch!
HoopDreams
Ashfield63 said:

annarborbear said:

I watched the Ivy League Championship game yesterday. Princeton was seeded #1, Columbia #2 and Harvard #3 ........Harvard beat Columbia in O.T. the day before. McKenzie Forbes scored 27 points for the victory. Harvard led Princeton in almost the entire game, but Princeton started making baskets, and secured the victory. Harvard lost energy near the end of the game. Mckenzie is in great shape, very toned, and playing well for Harvard all season.

I always wondered if Cal recruited/signed her brother whether she would have stayed at Cal

He wasn't a top recruit and was a role player for 3 years at Harvard, but interestingly he transferred to St Mary's (but did not play this year). I think he may have been injured last season so is sitting out this year as a redshirt.

If he blows up at St Mary's next year it will be another local player that we passed on ... and again, I wonder if it would have made a difference with McKenzie
bearwbbfan
Forbes is also in the portal I believe. She should have one year left.
HoopDreams
bearwbbfan said:

Forbes is also in the portal I believe. She should have one year left.

maybe she comes back to Cal?
wvitbear
Forbes is a good shooter but not a good defender. I don't think she would help us.
annarborbear
wvitbear said:

Forbes is a good shooter but not a good defender. I don't think she would help us.
In her last five games, she averaged over 20 ppg and shot 42.9% on three pointers. I think we could use some of that.
wvitbear
Against Ivy League competition. Not Pac 12 competition. When you went to the games did you think she was a good defender?
annarborbear
wvitbear said:

Against Ivy League competition. Not Pac 12 competition. When you went to the games did you think she was a good defender?

If there is someone better in the portal, go with that.
Right now I would settle for another outside shooter since we get so little from our posts inside.
wvitbear
By the way, our three point defense was worse when she played here than this year.
annarborbear
Let's see who else makes her an offer.
HoopDreams
she was a freshman and out of shape when she was here

wvitbear said:

By the way, our three point defense was worse when she played here than this year.
SFCALBear72
Would McKenzie come back to Cal? Would Charmin pursue her in the portal?

McKenzie Forbes asked for her release from Cal on June 20, 2019 when the two coaches who recruited her, Lindsay and Charmin, were set to leave Cal themselves for the NBA and WNBA.

Five days later (June 25, 2019), Charmin was brought back as Head Coach.

I often wondered why McKenzie didn't change her mind and stay at Cal when Charmin was appointed. Perhaps she was more loyal to Lindsay than Charmin.
annarborbear
She was really committed to going to Harvard, probably because she was so close to her brother. She even took some classes at a community college (straight A's) while waiting for them to admit her as their transfer student process is very thorough and time-consuming. She has been team captain during her final year at Harvard, so she also brings leadership and peer respect to the table.
Ashfield63
annarborbear said:

She was really committed to going to Harvard, probably because she was so close to her brother. She even took some classes at a community college (straight A's) while waiting for them to admit her as their transfer student process is very thorough and time-consuming. She has been team captain during her final year at Harvard, so she also brings leadership and peer respect to the table.

Very soon after Charmin became HC, she was as asked if she had spoken to McKenzie. Charmin said she had spoken to her. This is not a direct quote, but Charmin said she didn't want someone on the team who did not want to be here. I think she has two more years to play, including the year for Covid. The Ivy League did not play basketball in Mckenzie's first year at Harvard. It was remote learning. I read an interview afer she was admitted to Harvard. She said she was not in good shape playing for Cal, and wanted to attend Harvard. Unfortunately, the 2018-2019 season did not live up to expectations. A Pac-12 announcer said during one game, "Cal has MacDonald's All Americans on the court" ..... Kristine Anigwe, Kianna Smith, Recee Caldwell(Grad Transfer), and freshman McKenzie Forbes. The team tied for 6th place in the Pac-12. LG had said the team reminded her of the Final Four team at the beginning of the season. It will be interesting to see where she plays next season. I can see a P-5 team recruiting her because she shoots the three so well. Not all D-1 schools play as aggressive defense as the Pac-12 teams. Both the WNIT and NCAA tournaments should have some exciting games!
Schroeder71
PG Kianna Smith transferred, too.
HoopDreams
Schroeder71 said:

for me she was the bigger loss

I felt the team she played on under utilized her because coach was so focused on getting the ball inside to KA (despite the double-triple teams resulting in a boat load of turnovers)
BearBint
HoopDreams said:

Schroeder71 said:

I felt the team she played on under utilized her because coach was so focused on getting the ball inside to KA (despite the double-triple teams resulting in a boat load of turnovers)
I felt that way about Jaelyn Brown; however talented Kristine, more of the offense should have been run through Brown as well.
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
wvitbear
We were second in the Pac 12 that year in three point shooting. KA was more of a rebounder that year.
stu
Yeah, when you have Anigwe plus four guards who can score one guard can't expect to get all of the shots.
ncbears
HoopDreams said:

Schroeder71 said:

The transfer worked out well for Smith - good for her bad for Cal. Final Four, first round selection to WNBA.
HoopDreams
Smith certainly did not "get all the shots" nor do i think she would expect to

but the offense should have involved her more than just a role player

she has an extremely high hoops IQ, had great fundamentals partly because she was coached well in HS, and always seemed to make the right plays without forcing it

but lindsey was so focused on getting KA the ball that the offense was stagnant and had too many turnovers

the offense was way too KA and Caldwell focused. yet we had Smith and Brown which would have been a very strong offense if used right

stu said:

Yeah, when you have Anigwe plus four guards who can score one guard can't expect to get all of the shots.
stu
Looking at the 2018-19 stats I see:
Anigwe: 547 FGA, .508 FG%
Smith: 313 FGA, .399 FG%
Caldwell: 300 FGA, .420 FG%
Thomas: 280 FGA, .396 FG%
Brown: 198 FGA, .490 FG%
Forbes: 160 FGA, .369 FG%
West: 102 FGA, .480 FG%

The 5 guards had almost twice as many FGA as the 2 posts and shot about .090 worse. Smith, a soph, had more FGA than any of the other guards.

The following season Smith would have been the big star but I think she realized that without Anigwe the team wouldn't be very good. Gottlieb probably realized that as well. IMHO both did better for themselves by leaving.

BTW I saw a similar situation this season. Our best lineup was often 4 guards and 1 post but that post was not Anigwe.
HoopDreams
thanks for the stats but only tells part of the story. i have zero problem when KA had the ball in the post. when she did good things were going to happen

my issue is every one in the building understood it so they sold out to stop her from getting the ball in the low block.

Cal too often forced it to her resulting in TOs

stu said:

Looking at the 2018-19 stats I see:
Anigwe: 547 FGA, .508 FG%
Smith: 313 FGA, .399 FG%
Caldwell: 300 FGA, .420 FG%
Thomas: 280 FGA, .396 FG%
Brown: 198 FGA, .490 FG%
Forbes: 160 FGA, .369 FG%
West: 102 FGA, .480 FG%

The 5 guards had almost twice as many FGA as the 2 posts and shot about .090 worse. Smith, a soph, had more FGA than any of the other guards.

The following season Smith would have been the big star but I think she realized that without Anigwe the team wouldn't be very good. Gottlieb probably realized that as well. IMHO both did better for themselves by leaving.

BTW I saw a similar situation this season. Our best lineup was often 4 guards and 1 post but that post was not Anigwe.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.