New Recruiting Coordinator Jenny Huth

2,358 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by SFCALBear72
ncbears
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://calbears.com/news/2024/5/16/womens-basketball-womens-basketball-adds-jenny-huth-to-coaching-staff.aspx

I presume she is replacing Heidi Heintz who is going ????
SFCALBear72
She has a great background with stints at Kentucky (SEC), Oregon State, UCLA and was responsible for high-profile recruits at all three of those stops.

Welcome, Jenny Huth!!
Intuit
Great credentials to be a major contributor to what we trust is a resurgent women's basketball program.

There is a lot to like here.
ncbears
Head coach record at Northern Colorado
21-11 (18-19) 2d Big Sky
13-18 (19-20) 8th Big Sky
14-12 (20-21)(Covid) 4th Big Sky
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/coaches/jenny-huth-1.html

Don't know why she left Northern Colorado to take assistant position at Oregon State.
CalFanatic
SFCALBear72 said:

She has a great background with stints at Kentucky (SEC), Oregon State, UCLA and was responsible for high-profile recruits at all three of those stops.

Welcome, Jenny Huth!!
I'm pleasantly surprised when reading about her background. She seems like a homerun hire as an assistant.
SFCALBear72
ncbears said:

https://calbears.com/news/2024/5/16/womens-basketball-womens-basketball-adds-jenny-huth-to-coaching-staff.aspx

I presume she is replacing Heidi Heintz who is going ????

No one is leaving the staff.

I sent an email to Devin Shallowhorn over at Cal Athletics (he oversees the Golden Way group) earlier today asking if this was a +1 addition or if someone was leaving. He just called me to say that the NCAA passed legislation last year allowing staffs to add two more coaches. Cal didn't add anyone last year.

So, this year it's Jenny Huth!

He said the team and staff are excited to have her join them for the upcoming season. He also said that her ties to the east coast will really help out with recruiting. We still have two available scholarships.

annarborbear
She was a very good player and has lots of experience, so I hope she will make some important contributions. But the East Coast ties issue is probably a bit exaggerated since she spent only one year at Kentucky before their head coach was let go after two losing seasons.
CalWSportsFan
Given the new recruiting environment in college basketball with the portal etc. I can see why another "coach" is needed just to stay on top of all that.....and just focus on recruiting while the rest of the staff can deal with day-to-day coaching, practice, games, etc...
annarborbear
CalWSportsFan said:

Given the new recruiting environment in college basketball with the portal etc. I can see why another "coach" is needed just to stay on top of all that.....and just focus on recruiting while the rest of the staff can deal with day-to-day coaching, practice, games, etc...
That is really true. And hope that someone will focus at least half time in the off-season on international players and setting up more contacts there.
SFCALBear72
annarborbear said:

She was a very good player and has lots of experience, so I hope she will make some important contributions. But the East Coast ties issue is probably a bit exaggerated since she spent only one year at Kentucky before their head coach was let go after two losing seasons.
You couldn't just leave that comment about the east coast go. You had to add your "negative" spin once again. Maybe she recruited the east coast for other schools. UCLA (7 years there), Oregon State, come to mind.
annarborbear
SFCALBear72 said:

annarborbear said:

You couldn't just leave that comment about the east coast go. You had to add your "negative" spin once again. Maybe she recruited the east coast for other schools. UCLA (7 years there), Oregon State, come to mind.

As you say, It is possible that she did some east coast recruiting while she coached on the west coast. But she did not have a long stay in the east herself. Not sure why you are offended by the facts. I would most like to see her get going on the international front since it is hard to do well in the portal if you have not been winning.
SFCALBear72
annarborbear said:

SFCALBear72 said:

annarborbear said:

As you say, It is possible that she did some east coast recruiting while she coached on the west coast. But she did not have a long stay in the east herself. Not sure why you are offended by the facts. I would most like to see her get going on the international front since it is hard to do well in the portal if you have not been winning.
Out of respect for Devin Shallowhorn ("my source") who made the initial comment about the east coast recruiting.

Well, as I'm posting this, Eliza Pierre is on her way to Sydney, Australia based upon her Instagram post.
Jenny Huth is headed up to Roseville and then to Phoenix this weekend.
annarborbear
SFCALBear72 said:

annarborbear said:

SFCALBear72 said:

annarborbear said:

Out of respect for Devin Shallowhorn ("my source") who made the initial comment about the east coast recruiting.

Well, as I'm posting this, Eliza Pierre is on her way to Sydney, Australia based upon her Instagram post.
Jenny Huth is headed up to Roseville and then to Phoenix this weekend.

With all of those years at UCLA, it would be really helpful
If she could also revitalize our recruiting in Southern California. USC and UCLA will be tough to recruit against, but the market there is a big one for West Coast schools.
3Cats4CAL
On Cal WBB Facebook page it has a post from 1 hour ago showing all four assistant coaches including Heidi Heintz going to different states for recruiting.
SFCALBear72
3Cats4CAL said:

On Cal WBB Facebook page it has a post from 1 hour ago showing all four assistant coaches including Heidi Heintz going to different states for recruiting.
Please read the posts above. No one is leaving.

Eliza Pierre is in Australia.
awesomebuffalo
People here complain about the staff to high heaven but didn't know they were only operating at 60% capacity last year haha.

Says a lot about the state of the program that they couldn't afford to fill the coaching capacity.
mbBear
annarborbear said:

Isn't it more important that she has West Coast ties? I'm missing the significance of this...
annarborbear
mbBear said:

annarborbear said:

Isn't it more important that she has West Coast ties? I'm missing the significance of this...
Read my post above. That is exactly what I said.
calumnus
awesomebuffalo said:

People here complain about the staff to high heaven but didn't know they were only operating at 60% capacity last year haha.

Says a lot about the state of the program that they couldn't afford to fill the coaching capacity.

Knowlton mismanagement.
SFCALBear72
calumnus said:

awesomebuffalo said:

Knowlton mismanagement.
Why is it that you think it was a lack of funds which determined whether an assistant coach was hired last year?

Maybe they were waiting for the right candidate. Or waiting until the current staff was firmly established in their roles. This past season was Travon Bryant's first with the Bears. Eliza Pierre began her third year with the Bears last season.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.