Heidi Heintz promoted to Associate Head Coach

4,054 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by TheDuke!!!
MoragaBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Heidi Heintz Promoted To Associate Head Coach
Heintz Entering Her Third Season On Cal Women's Basketball Staff

BERKELEY California women's basketball head coach Charmin Smith announced Monday that Heidi Heintz has been promoted to the role of associate head coach, following two seasons as an assistant coach and recruiting coordinator for the Golden Bears.

"Heidi was instrumental in helping us achieve the success that we had last season," Smith said. "The promotion is a testament to the work and dedication she has given to this program over the last two years. Our offense continues to blossom and she helped ink the No. 23-ranked recruiting class last year that will serve as the foundation for us as we usher in a new era in the ACC."

Under Heintz's guidance, the Bears' offense had its most productive season from 3-point range in 2023-24, setting a single-season program record for made triples. Heintz was a key impact on then-graduate guard Leilani McIntosh, who had career highs in 3-point makes and percentage, assists, steals and blocks, while fellow guards Ioanna Krimili and Lulu Twidale earned All-Pac-12 and Pac-12 All-Freshman honorable mentions, respectively. Krimili finished tied for the Pac-12 lead in triples during conference play and Twidale ended up second in number of 20-point games and third for 3-pointers among all freshmen in the conference.

Heintz joined the Cal staff prior to the 2022-23 season after spending the previous three years (2019-22) at Saint Mary's, where she was the assistant coach. During her stint in Moraga, Heintz was named to the 2019 WBCA 30 Under 30 list and helped lead the Gaels to an impressive three-year turnaround, culminating with a WBI Championship in 2021-22.

Heintz capped her collegiate playing career with two seasons at UC Davis, where she was a member of the Big West All-Academic Team and Big West All-Tournament Team as well as a two-time Second Team All-Big West Conference honoree. She began her collegiate career at the University of San Francisco for two seasons from 2006-08, where she garnered West Coast Conference All-Freshman Team honors and the team's Defensive Player of the Year Award as a sophomore.
SFCALBear72
Congratulations, Coach Heintz!!

Nice birthday present. Cal WBB saluted her yesterday with "Happy Birthday" greetings on social media.
annarborbear
I thought there was already agreement that making the NCAA tournament should be a minimum performance standard for Cal women's basketball. I don't know what is going to happen this year. But I hope we won't have to hear arguments that going to the WBIT and playing in front of only 700 fans is ever a good thing.
ClayK
I will say there's a lot of sunshine pumping on this board in particular.

I have been chastised for not being positive enough, but then again, look at the record.

I have stayed away from commenting on the recruits I have seen because of the negativity of the pure positivity folks here.

One of my criticisms of coverage of women's basketball over the years has been the incessant cheerleadring -- the game is great, the players are wonderful, etc. -- even when clearly there have been issues that need to be addressed.

If women's basketball in general and at Cal wants to be taken seriously, then critical commentary comes with the territory. It's nice to bring pom-poms to the games, and this message board, but the athletes and the sport deserve better than blind support.
annarborbear
The one number that should concern all Cal women's basketball fans is attendance. We have lost 50% of our previous level and were 11th in attendance in the conference last year. We drew 600-700 fans to the two WBIT games. That is versus drawing 10,000 fans to a UConn game in 2019. And in five years, our annual program financial deficit has grown from $3 million to $4 million. So there is no escaping the reality - if we can't get back to the NCAA this coming year, we are in big trouble. I don't know what will happen,. But it is clear what needs to happen. And lecturing people about attending doesn't work. You have to have a product that people will want to see.
stu
I'll repeat myself because I think the point is important:

I'm looking at the trajectory and like what I see. Over the last 4 seasons we have improved our overall and conference records each year and this fall we have a highly-regarded class coming in. To whatever extent Heidi is responsible for the improvement this point is also on topic.

BTW I'm not suggesting anyone refrain from posting.
calbear80
annarborbear said:

The one number that should concern all Cal women's basketball fans is attendance. We have lost 50% of our previous level and were 11th in attendance in the conference last year. We drew 600-700 fans to the two WBIT games. That is versus drawing 10,000 fans to a UConn game in 2019. And in five years, our annual program financial deficit has grown from $3 million to $4 million. So there is no escaping the reality - if we can't get back to the NCAA this coming year, we are in big trouble. I don't know what will happen,. But it is clear what needs to happen. And lecturing people about attending doesn't work. You have to have a product that people will want to see.

What do you think is the reason for attendance at the games being half of what it was just a few years ago?

Go Bears!
CalWSportsFan
I find the ignore feature quite refreshing. ;-)
annarborbear
stu said:

I'll repeat myself because I think the point is important:

I'm looking at the trajectory and like what I see. Over the last 4 seasons we have improved our overall and conference records each year and this fall we have a highly-regarded class coming in. To whatever extent Heidi is responsible for the improvement this point is also on topic.

BTW I'm not suggesting anyone refrain from posting.
We did have an improvement last year, but were still a long way from making it back into the NCAA tournament. Our NET ranking was only #61. Why was that? Because we didn't beat good teams and lost to most of them by wide margins. We played UCLA, USC, Colorado and Utah only once each. Our seven conference wins came by playing and beating Oregon and the Washingtons twice each, and by beating Arizona State in one of two games.

I bring this up to note how important it is for this year's freshmen to be ready to play. We have to be substantially better than last year, and the only pathway I see for that will be for the freshmen class to be at least as good as advertised. Here's hoping.
wvitbear
We beat WSU three times not two. and their rating was higher than ours as was Washington. That rating is pure s--- and you admitted that before. More important is we went from 1 win to 2 wins to 4 wins to 7 wins.

When we went to the final four, our attendance got up to 3,000 per game. but that wasn't very good as OSU, ASU, and Arizona have done much better in attendance after a successful season . As did Oregon. Winning brings in more fans but not as much as other venues.
annarborbear
wvitbear said:

We beat WSU three times not two. and their rating was higher than ours as was Washington. That rating is pure s--- and you admitted that before. More important is we went from 1 win to 2 wins to 4 wins to 7 wins.

When we went to the final four, our attendance got up to 3,000 per game. but that wasn't very good as OSU, ASU, and Arizona have done much better in attendance after a successful season . As did Oregon. Winning brings in more fans but not as much as other venues.
The complexity is that the NET rankings do not let head-to-head results determine everything about the ratings. If you beat good teams, that counts for a lot. And if you lose to other teams by huge margins, as we did to Utah, you are going to plunge. The key is consistency and beating some of those above you. It is actually pretty simple next year - finish in the top half of the ACC, give good teams close games even in losses, and don't lose to any weak teams.
annarborbear
I also think we have to get an international post out of Eliza's trip to Australia. It was a short trip for so much travel, so she was very likely targeting one particular player, although there is no way to know who it was.

The portal has not been great to us unless we get that additional player. The combined production we lost to graduation and transfer - Leilani, Mikayla, Kemery, Ila, - was 26.7 ppg, 13.9 rpg and 8.8 assists/pg. In contrast, the combined production last year of the three players we added - Noble, Williams, Maul - was 8.2 ppg, 6.4 rpg, 3.1 assists/pg. These new players can likely do better than that with more minutes here. But it is a lot of ground to make up.
SFCALBear72
The primary benefit for Gisella Maul is that she's only a sophomore, same as Lulu.

She also was ranked as the No. 38 recruit coming out of high school with very good stats. Texas was an experienced and deep team last season so that limited her playing time.
calbear80
wvitbear said:

….More important is we went from 1 win to 2 wins to 4 wins to 7 wins….

You are omitting the important fact that we went from 11 and 9 conference wins prior to this coaching staff to 3 wins and then only one win. Let us get the facts straight.

Cal WBB conference record for the two most recent years prior to the current coaching staff :
. 11-7 in 2017-2018
. 9- 9 in 2018-2019
Winning percentage: 55%

Conference record for the current coaching staff:
. 3-15 for 2018-2020 (big drop from previous coach)
. 1-12 for 2020-2021 (even bigger drop)
. 2-10 for 2021-2022 (positive trajectory?!)
. 4-14 for 2022-2023 (not good)
. 7-11 for 2023-2024 (improvement, but still not good)
Overall: 17-62
Winning percentage: 21%

You may try to use NIL as an excuse. Please note that NIL started becoming a factor starting 2022-2023 season.

Conference record of this coaching staff prior to NIL being a factor:
6-37
Winning percentage: 14% (worse)

You may also try to use COVID as an excuse and ignore the fact that COVID was a worldwide and nationwide Pandemic that impacted us and everybody else. But let us look at the record prior to COVID becoming a factor around February 15, 2020:

Conference record of this coaching staff prior to COVID:
1-12
Winning percentage: 8% (even worse)

Please list all the other excuses one by one so that I can show you they are just excuses.

Go Bears!
annarborbear
SFCALBear72 said:

The primary benefit for Gisella Maul is that she's only a sophomore, same as Lulu.

She also was ranked as the No. 38 recruit coming out of high school with very good stats. Texas was an experienced and deep team last season so that limited her playing time.

If she can get back to Texas high school player-of-the-year form, that will be huge. Their message board does comment that last year she was not yet all of the way back from her ACL injury.
mbBear
calbear80 said:

wvitbear said:

You are omitting the important fact that we went from 11 and 9 conference wins prior to this coaching staff to 3 wins and then only one win. Let us get the facts straight.

Cal WBB conference record for the two most recent years prior to the current coaching staff :
. 11-7 in 2017-2018
. 9- 9 in 2018-2019

You may try to use NIL as an excuse. Please note that NIL started becoming a factor starting 2022-2023 season.

6-37

You may also try to use COVID as an excuse and ignore the fact that COVID was a worldwide and nationwide Pandemic that impacted us and everybody else. But let us look at the record prior to COVID becoming a factor around February 15, 2020:

1-12

Please list all the other excuses one by one so that I can show you they are just excuses.

Go Bears!
Why do you need to have excuses listed? What position changes for you by hearing the excuses? Are you now on the fence about wanting Smith gone?
BearBint
I don't understand why people enjoy rehashing Smith's record for what feels like the 55th effing time.

MoragaBear, we can ignore certain posters; can we also ignore certain posts/threads? (Joke.) Or can these boring duels be fought elsewhere on B.I.? Anyway, I'll stop wasting my time here.
mbBear
BearBint said:

I don't understand why people enjoy rehashing Smith's record for what feels like the 55th effing time.
MoragaBear, we can ignore certain posters; can we also ignore certain posts/threads? (Joke.) Or can these fascinating duels be fought elsewhere on B.I.? Anyway, I'll stop wasting my time here.
it changes on the 56th rehashing! You didn't get the memo???ha..
Right, we know that the "Heidi hiring" has moved way off course, and any of us can easily ignore the thread...someone of us (meaning me) are dumb enough to continue to check it out...
mbBear
calbear80 said:

mbBear said:

calbear80 said:

wvitbear said:

. 11-7 in 2017-2018
. 9- 9 in 2018-2019

6-37

1-12

Go Bears!
Why do you need to have excuses listed? What position changes for you by hearing the excuses? Are you now on the fence about wanting Smith gone?

In another post you asked why do we need to list the record. The reason is that, as you see above, someone thinks all is well. Well, as you see in the calculated winning percentages above, all is not well.

Go Bears!
I don't need to know what others think about Cal women's basketball over the last few years to justify any of my own thoughts....
Again, you think that people thinking "all is well" or "all is not well" has anything to do with the performance on the court....or that anything posted here has anything to do with Smith being hired, fired, or extended.
And come on, it's June 21st: you aren't posting for any reason except to get a rise out of those who you see in disagreement with you. There are no other cause and effect or affect possibilities. You want a post or two that says "it's because of your excellent posts that I stopped giving NIL to Women's basketball;" you some how, some way, need to feel influence?
You writing to Knowlton as well? Again, if this is about how important you are, or how great a Cal fan you are, please copy us on the letters to admin(and the responses) so we can all admire your Golden Bearness further...for sure those would win some people over, and clearly that's important here.
IF everyone stopped responding to you, what would happen? You would feel like you "won"?

TheDuke!!!
ClayK said:

I will say there's a lot of sunshine pumping on this board in particular.

I have been chastised for not being positive enough, but then again, look at the record.

I have stayed away from commenting on the recruits I have seen because of the negativity of the pure positivity folks here.

One of my criticisms of coverage of women's basketball over the years has been the incessant cheerleadring -- the game is great, the players are wonderful, etc. -- even when clearly there have been issues that need to be addressed.

If women's basketball in general and at Cal wants to be taken seriously, then critical commentary comes with the territory. It's nice to bring pom-poms to the games, and this message board, but the athletes and the sport deserve better than blind support.
Amen. I have been told that I am "spamming" the board by people who have posted their opposing opinions literally 600x more than I have.

This feels like re-arranging lounge chairs on the deck of the titanic.

But that assumes last season's jump was an anomaly. If it was indeed a first step towards an upward trajectory and Heidi was largely responsible for that step, then it makes sense to promote her.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.