Women's Basketball
Sponsored by

Cal Night at the Valkyries game Wed 8/12/26

3,957 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by bellavita992
glutton
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Who else is attending Cal Night at the Valkyries game tomorrow? Unfortunately, no Cal Band this year, but it should be a fun game.
Does anyone happen to be going from the El Cerrito area?
bellavita992
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm going.. but only because I want the bobble head giveaway lol
BearBint
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Am going Monday and Wednesday of next week, and intend to check out standing-room "seating" (great view, no seat: $92, instead of $250 or more). My plastic-and-titanium hip shouldn't really be sat on that much, so I don't mind. Anyway, half the crowd is on their feet much of the time. I'll let you know how it goes.
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
Woodacre
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just flew back from seeing the Valks play in Los Angeles. Great seats, lots of Valkyries fans (one sign said "Welcome to Ballhalla South"), so I'll be watching the game from home tomorrow.
stu
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BearBint said:

Am going Monday and Wednesday of next week, and intend to check out standing-room "seating" (great view, no seat: $92, instead of $250 or more). My plastic-and-titanium hip shouldn't really be sat on that much, so I don't mind. Anyway, half the crowd is on their feet much of the time. I'll let you know how it goes.

I can top your materials list with a plastic and titanium and zirconium (plus small amounts of aluminum, vanadium, and niobium) knee. But I can't top your endurance, the knee shouldn't be stood on that much. Or your wallet, mine is stuffed with Washingtons not Franklins.
CalWSportsFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have season tickets so will be there.
SFCALBear72
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Curious.

For those of you going to the game, will you be wearing Cal gear, Valkyries attire or a combination?

Go Valkyries! Go Bears!
stu
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFCALBear72 said:

Curious.

For those of you going to the game, will you be wearing Cal gear, Valkyries attire or a combination?

Go Valkyries! Go Bears!

How about Cal gear plus a purple feathered hat and purple framed glasses?
ClayK
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I will be there in a Valkyries shirt. Happy it's Cal night ...
BearBint
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFCALBear72 said:

Curious.

For those of you going to the game, will you be wearing Cal gear, Valkyries attire or a combination?

Go Valkyries! Go Bears!

BearBloke's Valks shirt for the Wings game, and a long-sleeved violet tee with my Seimone Augustus jersey for the Lynx.

(What I really want is a winged helmet, but a non-plastic one is fairly expensive.)
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
stu
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BearBint said:

(What I really want is a winged helmet, but a non-plastic one is fairly expensive.)

Can you train a raven to sit on your head?
BearBint
How long do you want to ignore this user?
stu said:

BearBint said:

(What I really want is a winged helmet, but a non-plastic one is fairly expensive.)

Can you train a raven to sit on your head?

Probably; they are very intelligent birds. I could name her Veronica.
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
BearBint
How long do you want to ignore this user?
stu said:

BearBint said:

Am going Monday and Wednesday of next week, and intend to check out standing-room "seating" (great view, no seat: $92, instead of $250 or more). My plastic-and-titanium hip shouldn't really be sat on that much, so I don't mind. Anyway, half the crowd is on their feet much of the time. I'll let you know how it goes.

I can top your materials list with a plastic and titanium and zirconium (plus small amounts of aluminum, vanadium, and niobium) knee. But I can't top your endurance, the knee shouldn't be stood on that much. Or your wallet, mine is stuffed with Washingtons not Franklins.

Eek. I've heard knees are very difficult. ("Notwithstanding," BearBloke adds sympathetically.) I hope the standing-room thing works for me, because I'd like to see more games next season and don't want to spend venture capital and don't want to be staring straight into the Jumbotron.
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
stu
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BearBint said:

Eek. I've heard knees are very difficult. ("Notwithstanding," BearBloke adds sympathetically.) I hope the standing-room thing works for me, because I'd like to see more games next season and don't want to spend venture capital and don't want to be staring straight into the Jumbotron.

Hope the standing room works for you!

I was actually quite mobile as soon as I woke up after surgery and even felt fine since the nerve block lasted a couple of days. I asked if I could go to the Cal women's game that evening but they insisted on keeping me through the night to check for complications. The next week was an ordeal but after that the main problem was not being able to walk too far or stay up too long. At three months I could walk as far as I wanted and at six months I could do anything reasonable except run, that took a year. It definitely helped to have a great surgeon at UCSF. BTW I discovered the interesting metals by reading his 44-page post-op report.
ClayK
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If it was Cal night, you would never know it. I was at the game and not once was Cal mentioned.

Really dull game too. Chicago is putrid, and I'm being kind.
wvitbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So much for gong to the game. They are not Cal and don't care about Cal.
OBear073akaSMFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
..any idea what happened to Layshia Clarendon who last year did an outstanding job doing Pre & post games for the Valkeries? She wasn't one of the regulars but was brought in many times as a fill-in host. She was good. Now occasionally they bring in a former furd Jeanette Pohlen who no where as good as Layshia.
CalWSportsFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I actually visited the Cal table that was set up (see photos attached). 3 Bears were on hand to greet fans and there was a rather long line waiting to spin the wheel to win some Cal swag and meet the the players. Coach Huth was there along with several other staff and we had a nice conversation about the upcoming season, etc. I actually was happy to see our Cal staff and players engage with women's basketball fans. While the focus on the court was Violet's birthday, I DO think that this type of community fan outreach is a good thing. Charmin has been present (and announced on court) at other games and assisted with t-shirt toss (she's got a great arm) so Cal has been more visible in Chase than our Palo Alto rival (and I've attended every home game this season).

As for the game itself, I actually enjoyed seeing how Nakase handled having two of her best (Stokes and Salan) out with injury. Stopping 6'7" Cardoso in the post was job one and seeing DP Ashten Pretchel play meaningful minutes was fun. She did pretty well playing 18 minutes, 3 points (3 of 3 at the FT line) and giving Cardoso some problems under the basket. She can also handle the ball pretty well in terms of passing, etc. Tiffany Hayes performance was also great fun to witness....on the cusp of 37 and she's got the quickest first step in the game. I had a great time.


CalWSportsFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
FYI, here's a photo from I took from a game ealier this year where Charmin made an appearance on center court with Violet and Ari....good stuff....


Also heard some scuttlebutt that the Cal social media's efforts (storytelling as to team culture, etc) are being noticed... getting the word out effectively about what the program offers players who choose to come. I have been impressed myself...following the team, getting to know players, etc. It's a big part of the game these days in terms of recruiting and I really do give Cal WBB an "A."
Woodacre
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thanks for the great recap!
bellavita992
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I went to Cal night last year (by chance, I didn't know it was that night) and they had the band, Oski, and cheerleaders outside. Violet's bday was the main theme of last night, though.
HoopDreams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Was Michelle there?

CalWSportsFan said:

I actually visited the Cal table that was set up (see photos attached). 3 Bears were on hand to greet fans and there was a rather long line waiting to spin the wheel to win some Cal swag and meet the the players. Coach Huth was there along with several other staff and we had a nice conversation about the upcoming season, etc. I actually was happy to see our Cal staff and players engage with women's basketball fans. While the focus on the court was Violet's birthday, I DO think that this type of community fan outreach is a good thing. Charmin has been present (and announced on court) at other games and assisted with t-shirt toss (she's got a great arm) so Cal has been more visible in Chase than our Palo Alto rival (and I've attended every home game this season).

As for the game itself, I actually enjoyed seeing how Nakase handled having two of her best (Stokes and Salan) out with injury. Stopping 6'7" Cardoso in the post was job one and seeing DP Ashten Pretchel play meaningful minutes was fun. She did pretty well playing 18 minutes, 3 points (3 of 3 at the FT line) and giving Cardoso some problems under the basket. She can also handle the ball pretty well in terms of passing, etc. Tiffany Hayes performance was also great fun to witness....on the cusp of 37 and she's got the quickest first step in the game. I had a great time.



Woodacre
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wouldn't Michelle be with the Fever?
HoopDreams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Woodacre said:

Wouldn't Michelle be with the Fever?

oh yeah that's right!

glutton
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bellavita992 said:

I went to Cal night last year (by chance, I didn't know it was that night) and they had the band, Oski, and cheerleaders outside. Violet's bday was the main theme of last night, though.

The email announcement/ticket offer for Cal Night this year *said* that the Cal Band would be there, and I forget what else was mentioned. I also was at last year's Cal Night Valkyries game, and there was a rally outside before the game with many team members and coaches present, along with the Straw Hat Band, Oski, and dance/cheer. I am wondering if the absence of all of that this year was due to Cal not arranging to get spirit groups there, or if the Valkyries decided not to give them the space/stage to do that. Perhaps they came up with the idea of 'Violet's birthday bash' after they had scheduled Cal Night, and turned our night into just a ticket package with a t-shirt and a table/spinning wheel on the upper concourse.
ClayK
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Where was that table? Never saw it ...

As for the game, Nakase didn't have to deal with 6-7 Cardoso because Tyler Marsh, the Chicago coach, had her out on the perimeter setting screens. It was amazing. All they had to do was post her up and throw her the ball, but they kept running their motion.

No wonder the Sky is so bad.
CalWSportsFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Well Cardosa did score 20 points (6-8 fromthe line)...she seemed pretty active down low to me and didn't have any three pointers... But anyway, here's the Cal Instagram story about their presence at the game, etc.

https://instagr.am/p/Db_4-6aD3_x
CalWSportsFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
*Cardoso....
Finnish Oski
How long do you want to ignore this user?
There's a horrible scene in the video above. A child is asked what Cal's colors are. He answers blue and yellow and is told, "yes." No, no, no, no California's colors are blue and gold. That employee should be sent to a re-education camp and must say 100 Hail Oskis.
bellavita992
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So Cal is playing UCLA, according to the poster? I haven't seen anything about it
SFCALBear72
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wings at Fever today (Friday) at 4:30 PM on ION.
SFCALBear72
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My brother is a UCLA grad and WBB season ticket- holder. On a Zoom call with Coach Close a couple of weeks ago, she told them that the Bruins would be scrimmaging against the Bears. No date, location or time was mentioned
bellavita992
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Gotcha. The poster says 10/14, but no other info anywhere.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.