Thoughts

3,947 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by annarborbear
CalFanatic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We clearly can't recruit compared to UCLA, Stanford, etc (two top 100 players in 2 years, multiple misses)
Next year we have one post with playing experience on the roster
Players don't get developed. Anigwe makes the same mistakes she did as a freshman
Yes, it's nice we get to pad our stats to look like the #14th ranked team in the county...but we can't beat smart, well coached teams (6-6 Harvard...barely held on against St Mary's)

Gottlieb would a great diplomat for Cal. It is a joke to think she is a "good coach". If we aren't recruiting, aren't developing players and losing to teams like Harvard-what are we doing? I would fire any direct report of mine who was performing like this.

Disappointing.
HoopDreams
I couldn't go or see the game today

looking at the box score, we shoot 40% from 3, grab 46 rebounds, including 23 offensive boards, and still lose by 6?

we have 13 more possessions so it's not TOs that are the reason

Seems like Harvard went of from 3 and had lots of assists. My guess is they play disciplined team ball?

Very disappointing loss on our home floor
puget sound cal fan
I hope Knowlton is watching closely.
annarborbear
Reminder that LG has a guaranteed contract through 2020-21. So we just have to hope for a Sweet Sixteen this year to turn the recruiting ship around.
wifeisafurd
It could be worse, number 1 seed Furd lost to 16th seed Harvard in the first round of the NCAA, on the Farm. Harvard has the same coach. Only time a 16th seed ever won in both the women's and men's NCAA tourney. They do this stuff. Better off scheduling Sac. State.
HoopDreams
wifeisafurd said:

It could be worse, number 1 seed Furd lost to 16th seed Harvard in the first round of the NCAA, on the Farm. Harvard has the same coach. Only time a 16th seed ever won in both the women's and men's NCAA tourney. They do this stuff. Better off scheduling Sac. State.
I didn't remember that. thx

guess Harvard has a very good coach that probably runs a Monty type system -- disciplined, lots of screens, passing, and getting their best players good shots, tough man defense, best with experienced players with high hoops IQ who have bought into the system.... etc...
wvitbear
Harvard played the game of their life. I thought it was Conneticut out there shooting. I thought we didn't play well defensively but they didn't miss. We shot very poorly from the free throw line. In our first game, Anigwe was 11 for 11 from the free throw line and it has been down hill ever since. She shot most of the free throws today. And she missed most of the free throws.

Had some good things happen today. Forbes had a breakout game. Brown seem to break out of a slump by making a couple of layups and a three. Kiana shot well.

But Harvard was on fire. Everyone shot the three well. And their bigs scored enough in the paint to keep it interesting.

And they caught us at the perfect time having just played UConn. Disappointing loss but give Harvard some credit.
wifeisafurd
wvitbear said:

Harvard played the game of their life. I thought it was Conneticut out there shooting. I thought we didn't play well defensively but they didn't miss. We shot very poorly from the free throw line. In our first game, Anigwe was 11 for 11 from the free throw line and it has been down hill ever since. She shot most of the free throws today. And she missed most of the free throws.

Had some good things happen today. Forbes had a breakout game. Brown seem to break out of a slump by making a couple of layups and a three. Kiana shot well.

But Harvard was on fire. Everyone shot the three well. And their bigs scored enough in the paint to keep it interesting.

And they caught us at the perfect time having just played UConn. Disappointing loss but give Harvard some credit.
they do this periodically, Program offense that kicks in and frustrates a better team. Do enough on defense to win. Sorta like Princeton on the men's side.
mbBear
wifeisafurd said:

UMBC beat Virginia last year on the Men's side...
SFCALBear72
Upset bug not confined to Pac-12. Big 10 too.

#4 and undefeated Maryland lost at home today to unranked Rutgers, 73-65.
wvitbear
Unranked Michigan is killing number 12 Minnesota.
Schroeder71
Cal drops down to #18 in AP poll. Only three undefeated teams-UConn, Louisville & NC State-remain in top 25 after Maryland and Minnesota suffered their first defeats today to unranked opponents.
http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/rankings

Harvard's standout guard, Katie Benzan, was just named ESPN's women's player of the week!
http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25654927/espnw-basketball-player-week-harvard-katie-benzan

GO BEARS!
wbbilluminati
IIRC, Stanford lost two starters to ACL's in the week between the brackets being announced and the upset to #16 Harvard. Harvard actually had a really good star player, Alison Feaster I believe was the name, who had a solid career in the WNBA. Not many 16 seeds have WNBA players on them.

The two Stanford players that were sidelined are big-time familiar names: Kristin Folkl, Vanessa Nygaard. Nygaard now the coach for Windward HS and Folkl was their leading scorer and rebounder. Folkl one of the best (and perhaps last?) great two-sport Volleyball-Basketball women's college athletes.
wbbilluminati
Schroeder71 said:

Cal drops down to #18 in AP poll. Only three undefeated teams-UConn, Louisville & NC State-remain in top 25 after Maryland and Minnesota suffered their first defeats today to unranked opponents.
http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/rankings

Harvard's standout guard, Katie Benzan, was just named ESPN's women's player of the week!
http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25654927/espnw-basketball-player-week-harvard-katie-benzan

GO BEARS!
I believe Benzan was ranked top 75-ish coming out of HS.

One of their post players junior 6'3" Jeannie Boehm actually was a McD's AA ranked as high as #16 nationally by PN AND made one (or two?) of the age group USA Basketball teams (forget which one) a little while back. Considering, her Harvard career has been rather modest.

The coach, Kathy Delaney-Smith I believe is the name, is a fun one. She's often good for a feisty sound bite. I believe she's in good health after a bout with breast cancer a few years ago.
SFCALBear72
Harvard guard #20 Madeline Raster is a senior and shot 4 for 5 on 3-pointers. Would love to have her as a grad transfer.
wifeisafurd
mbBear said:

wifeisafurd said:

UMBC beat Virginia last year on the Men's side...
My turn. Thanks for reminding me of that. Has occurred once with the men.
wifeisafurd
wbbilluminati said:

IIRC, Stanford lost two starters to ACL's in the week between the brackets being announced and the upset to #16 Harvard. Harvard actually had a really good star player, Alison Feaster I believe was the name, who had a solid career in the WNBA. Not many 16 seeds have WNBA players on them.

The two Stanford players that were sidelined are big-time familiar names: Kristin Folkl, Vanessa Nygaard. Nygaard now the coach for Windward HS and Folkl was their leading scorer and rebounder. Folkl one of the best (and perhaps last?) great two-sport Volleyball-Basketball women's college athletes.

Here is the ESPN tribute to the game. There was something like a perfect storm including Furd not taking Harvard seriously despite Tara's warnings.

willtalk
I always will remember Kristen Folkl, because she was the reason for my interest in WCBB. I was a women's volleyball fan in which Folkl was the dominating player in college. When she decided to play basketball my interest was peaked to follow her into that sport. She certainly could jump, but what made her dominating in the game was her ability to quickly elevate, even multiple times in succession if necessary. This made her a beast in the paint on both offense and defense.

I remember in one simi final NCAA tourn game ( can not remember the year ) Stanford totally got jobbed by the refs. Two horrible fouls on her in succession in the latter part of the last quarter, put her on the bench and allowed the opposing team to make a comeback and win the game. Folkl totally dominated the paint while she was in. The last call against her was one of the worst I have ever seen in basketball.
HoopDreams
willtalk said:

I always will remember Kristen Folkl, because she was the reason for my interest in WCBB. I was a women's volleyball fan in which Folkl was the dominating player in college. When she decided to play basketball my interest was peaked to follow her into that sport. She certainly could jump, but what made her dominating in the game was her ability to quickly elevate, even multiple times in succession if necessary. This made her a beast in the paint on both offense and defense.

I remember in one simi final NCAA tourn game ( can not remember the year ) Stanford totally got jobbed by the refs. Two horrible fouls on her in succession in the latter part of the last quarter, put her on the bench and allowed the opposing team to make a comeback and win the game. Folkl totally dominated the paint while she was in. The last call against her was one of the worst I have ever seen in basketball.
interesting post. i would guess that some of the coaching/training for a VB player would pay dividends for a basketball player
CalWSportsFan
Having played for Harvard (shortly before Kathy Delaney-Smith was named coach) I cant help but be proud of the Crimson's performance. I didn't expect a win, but I'll take it, despite my love for the Bears. I was there when Harvard upset Stanford...good times. . Hopefully the Bears will learn from the loss and take their frustration out on the LA schools this weekend. The Ivy League doesn't offer athletic schollies but can offer excellent need-based financial aid for many athletes. It's nice to see the teams be competitive in basketball.
puget sound cal fan
At the rate the Bears are going, that's highly unlikely.
annarborbear
At this point, ESPN Bracketology still has us as a #5 seed in the tournament. That means, if we win a first round game. we would likely face a #4 seed in the second round, which gives us a good chance to advance further. The real problem is if we slip to a #6 seed or lower. Then we would have to beat a more elite team in the second round, which has been our downfall in the past.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.