Arizona 12-1

8,865 Views | 85 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by grin&bearit
wbbilluminati
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I hadn't really checked on Arizona but recall an early loss mentioned here to LMU. Since then they've rattled off 11 straight wins, though the only real formidable opponent has been over ASU.

Aarion McDonald is the 3rd leading scorer in the nation at 24.8 ppg. Our Anigwe leads the nation in rebounding at 13.8 and is 10th in scoring at 22.2 i believe.
annarborbear
Not ready for prime time. McDonald took 30 shots today in loss to Utah. This year, that's their offense,
GATC
annarborbear said:

Not ready for prime time. McDonald took 30 shots today in loss to Utah. This year, that's their offense,
But she did score 34 points and if Arizona held Utah to their league leading defensive average they would have beaten Utah by 9-10 points.

It would be interesting to find out how Utah scored 80 against Arizona and 63 against ASU (in a 2 point loss). Considering that Arizona easily beat ASU and held them to 39 points, it seems like tactics are going to be key in our games against them.

4th - 9th place will be determined by how we do against UCLA, USC, Arizona, ASU and Utah. Actually Colorado lost to Arizona by 2 and ASU by 6 so they aren't that far behind. They did lose to Utah by 15.

League play is going to be exciting.

Kookiebean
Not sure what it means point totals mean.

Utah lost in the last 1 minute of the game vs. Arizona State (Utah was up by 6 points). Arizona State hit 2 three pointers to tie and a buzzer beater for the win.

Verses Arizona, Utah did nothing special in the Game, except shoot 73% in 1st half, went up by 30 points at one point. shooting cooled to around 50%. Teams usually close gap in second half of games.

Get stronger Pack 12, get stronger!
GATC
Kookiebean said:

Not sure what it means point totals mean.

Utah lost in the last 1 minute of the game vs. Arizona State (Utah was up by 6 points). Arizona State hit 2 three pointers to tie and a buzzer beater for the win.

Verses Arizona, Utah did nothing special in the Game, except shoot 73% in 1st half, went up by 30 points at one point. shooting cooled to around 50%. Teams usually close gap in second half of games.

Get stronger Pack 12, get stronger!

The fact that good defensive teams have trouble slowing down your offense is a testament to the coaching. Lots of assists by Gylten and your daughter. Don't look forward to playing them in altitude later this month.
Kookiebean
We lost one of our best players. Let's see who steps up.
bobbk
Very sad about Provo kookie bean
CalFanatic
Watching the game right now. Arizona is VERY aggressive offensively. 17-9 AZ in the 1st.
annarborbear
I had been bemoaning the recruiting loss of Long Beach's Semaj Smith to Arizona last year. But those are some seriously slow reflexes.
CalFanatic
It isn't a sophisticated offense but shoot- i'd just keep lobbing that ball into Anigwe until they stop it. 19-13 U of A after 1

Excited to Former Cal Sparks alum -Semaj Smith- in action. We were the other finalist for her last year. Haven't seen her game live.
annarborbear
Going to need to start making some three's.
CalFanatic
Anigwe and Sparks both out after a collision....33-19 U of A. We just look awful offensively. I want to find something positive to say but I just can't.
CalFanatic
We simply can not lose to U of A. We have to lock in.
IssyBear
CalFanatic
33-22 U of A at half.

U of A shooting 46 percent from the floor
Cal 29 percent

Anigwe with 10 rebounds
grin&bearit
I'm sorry. Cal looks terrible. JB looks lost (as usual), and no one wants to shoot the ball. They are playing the LOB to KA game as usual and Adia Barnes seems to have a game plan for that. I'm totally disappointed in what I'm witnessing.
IssyBear
11 turnovers and 6 assists. 7 for 24 field goals (29.2 %). 2 for 12 3 pt shots. Keep forcing one bad pass after another. Could not be uglier.
annarborbear
No substitute for making three point shots in this one. It has to be done in the second half.
CalFanatic
IssyBear said:

11 turnovers and 6 assists. 7 for 24 field goals (29.2 %). 2 for 12 3 pt shots. Keep forcing one bad pass after another. Could not be uglier.
This seems to be a common theme of LG's teams. Even when winning we seem to "Win ugly". I don't recall this same type of basketball with Boyle's teams. To be fair, Gottlieb is the one that got us to a FF.
IssyBear
Start the second half and miss the first 3 shots and throw two wild passes into the post. Hope they can figure this out soon.
annarborbear
Our coaching adjustment thus far is calling up even riskier inside passes.
CalFanatic
BIG 3 by Caldwell. 38-29 U of A
IssyBear
At least our D is effective so far this half.
blungld
When Cal players receive passes at the arc they do no seem ready to shoot or drive. They just catch and stand flat footed looking for KA while defense closes. Often they are wide ooen when they catch and arent ready to pull the trigger.

"The Bear will not quilt, the Bear will not dye!"
CalFanatic
Reese goes out. Have to take advantage of this with KA.
IssyBear
Brown is having a good game.
CalFanatic
Anigwe swatting shots like she is a Middle Blocker
CalFanatic
Cal closes with a 12-3 run.... 41-36 U of A after 3.
blungld
Three calls in about a minute go against Cal. Ball poked from AT should have been ours and that was a charge into not a block by KA.

IssyBear
CalFanatic said:

If she could only hit her free throws.
CalFanatic
IssyBear said:

CalFanatic said:

If she could only hit her free throws.
She pretty calmly sunk those last two.

52-49 U of A with 4 left. U of A with the FT after the TO
blungld
McDonald can't miss.

CalFanatic
McDonald hits 2 Ft's.

55-53 U of A with 1 minute left.
blungld
Why was she shooting free throws? She didnt shoot and only 3 team fouls.

blungld
Incomprehensible shot selection in final minutes by Bears.

Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.