Bracket released early -- spoiler alert in message

3,604 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BearBint
ClayK
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Major screwup: Someone left women's bracket visible and it's been tweeted out -- thus the moving up of the special to 2 p.m.

Cal is an eighth seed, playing UNC at Baylor. Stanford hosts Davis in first game, Auburn and BYU complete quartet.

Oregon's a 2 in Portland, ASU a 5 at Miami, UCLA a 6 in Maryland.
ClayK
Full bracket here:

ESPN screws up bigtime ...

pearbear
Waco again!

GRRAAH
Cursed again. The number 1 seed in entire tournament should we win the first game..
stu
ClayK said:

Oregon's a 2 in Portland, ASU a 5 at Miami, UCLA a 6 in Maryland.

IMHO 2 is great. 5 is good but 6 is better. 8 is not good, I'd prefer 11-13.
ncbears
So, does that mean Cal is the lowest 8?
6 Pac12 teams.
I feel bad for Utah.
Ccajon2
GRRAAH said:

Cursed again. The number 1 seed in entire tournament should we win the first game..

Well, winning a couple more conference game s would solve that problem.
annarborbear
Penn wiped out Harvard in the Ivy semi-final. That didn't help either.
annarborbear
Will be interesting to see which North Carolina team shows up. They had four wins against top 25 teams - Notre Dame, UCLA, NC State, and Rice. But also managed to lose to Colorado, among others. Coach Hatchell has been there 33 years, and probably knows how to study a game film.
GATC
annarborbear said:

Will be interesting to see which North Carolina team shows up. They had four wins against top 25 teams - Notre Dame, UCLA, NC State, and Rice. But also managed to lose to Colorado, among others. Coach Hatchell has been there 33 years, and probably knows how to study a game film.
. Should be a fun game to watch. Two unpredictable teams.
LegoBear
ncbears said:

6 Pac12 teams.
I feel bad for Utah.

Utah didn't even make it into the WNIT.
BearBint
LegoBear said:

ncbears said:

6 Pac12 teams.
I feel bad for Utah.

Oh, that's wretched.

I was glad to see that Arizona has an at-large bid:

http://womensnit.com/sports/2019/2/10/Post_0210195243.aspx?path=post_wnit

I can imagine Aari-Mac willing them to a championship.
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
R90
BearBint said:

LegoBear said:

ncbears said:

6 Pac12 teams.
I feel bad for Utah.
Oh, that's wretched.

Baylor was the closest for Cal, so the NCAA sent them there to save money on travel. That's also why UC Davis plays at Stanford and the two Michigan schools play in South Bend.

Utah and USC probably were offered WNIT bids, and probably turned them down. It can be a money losing prospect for the teams. Arizona's athletic department probably has the money to support the WNIT appearance.
It's all just entertainment, so find a way to enjoy it.
The refs are there to feed your hatred addiction and keep the games close.
SFCALBear72
R90 said:

BearBint said:

LegoBear said:

ncbears said:

6 Pac12 teams.
I feel bad for Utah.
Oh, that's wretched.

Baylor was the closest for Cal, so the NCAA sent them there to save money on travel. That's also why UC Davis plays at Stanford and the two Michigan schools play in South Bend.

Utah and USC probably were offered WNIT bids, and probably turned them down. It can be a money losing prospect for the teams. Arizona's athletic department probably has the money to support the WNIT appearance.
As I recall, the Utah coach said during the Pac-12 Tournament that her team would not accept a WNIT bid because she has only 7 healthy players.
Kookiebean
Correct Utah turned down a bid for WNIT right after the loss to Washington.

What happened to USC?

Raoul Retweeted
LSU is another team that turned down the WNIT. That makes five (along with Georgia, Georgia Tech, Purdue, and Utah). Usually there's only one or two.

In other Utah news.
The team came up to the offices today to watch Megan Huff (WNBA Prospect) sign her contact to be represented by @Wasserman agency!! On to bigger and better things! [url=https://twitter.com/hashtag/GoUtes?src=hash][/url]
Schroeder71
UNC seems to play similarly to Cal. Both teams play one 6-4 post down low while complementing 'em with a lineup of guards/wing type of players.
https://goheels.com/roster.aspx?path=wbball

The Tarheels have been playing without their #3 scorer, 5-11 junior SG Watts, for the last several games. She averaged 15.2 ppg. Her minutes have been split between two soph guards, Church & Jones. Two UNC players received all-ACC honors, 5-9 senior PG Kea and 6-4 soph center Bailey. Kea and Bailey were the team's top two scorers averaging, 17.1 & 16.7 points, respectively. UNC averages 75 ppg while yielding 71 ppg on defense. Both
the Tar Heels & the Bears average 8+ threes per game. Cal has been a stronger rebounding team while North Carolina seems to minimize turnovers with their plethora of guards.

https://goheels.com/documents/2018/11/7/201819Stats.pdf

As GATC opined above, both teams seem to have performed inconsistently throughout the season. UNC & Cal have upset #1 & #2 NCAA Tournament seeds, respectively. They both are capable of scoring a lot but their defenses have not been reliable. I would hazard to guess that the battle of the 6-4 posts may help decide this game. Both teams rely heavily on Bailey (#44) and Anigwe (#31) for scoring and rebounding. If either gets into
significant foul trouble and has to sit out, it could definitely help swing the outcome... GO BEARS!
BearBint
"As I recall, the Utah coach said during the Pac-12 Tournament that her team would not accept a WNIT bid because she has only 7 healthy players."

That makes sense.

@K.B. USC just doesn't do WNIT.

Re. Megan Huff, I notice that the Minnesota Lynx was very complimentary about her skills in their draft write-ups:

https://lynx.wnba.com/news/there-is-not-much-megan-huff-cant-do/
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
HoopDreams
terrible seeding. I'm depressed.

but this cheers me up alittle ...

cal83dls79
Where is this place? We only had dives in Berkeley when I was there.
Priest of the Patty Hearst Shrine
SFCALBear72
cal83dls79 said:

Where is this place? We only had dives in Berkeley when I was there.
Cornerstone. 2367 Shattuck Avenue.
cal83dls79
Ahh, Near La Note, my fave French Breakfast spot.
Thanks
Priest of the Patty Hearst Shrine
stu
From FiveThirtyEight

Fun first-round matchups
If you're looking for two senior stars trying to extend their careers, watch No. 8 seed California take on No. 9 seed North Carolina on Saturday at 3:30 p.m. Eastern time. Kristine Anigwe has had a historic season for the Golden Bears and leads the nation in rebounding with 16.3 per game, including a 32-point, 30-rebound effort against Washington State two weeks ago. North Carolina ranks in the bottom third of teams nationally in rebounding rate, so one might predict a long afternoon for the Tar Heels, but their offensive firepower can keep them in any game. (Just ask Notre Dame and NC State, which both lost to North Carolina in the span of a week earlier this year.) Guard Paris Kea is the star (17.1 points per game), but three other players average double-figure scoring and a fourth averages 9.5 points per game.
FiveThirtyEight model's prediction: California over North Carolina (64 percent)

gipsonke
AZ is the favorite for WNIT.

UCLA seems destined to play UConn every year no matter what??
BearBint
stu said:

From FiveThirtyEight

Fun first-round matchups
If you're looking for two senior stars trying to extend their careers, watch No. 8 seed California take on No. 9 seed North Carolina on Saturday at 3:30 p.m. Eastern time. Kristine Anigwe has had a historic season for the Golden Bears and leads the nation in rebounding with 16.3 per game, including a 32-point, 30-rebound effort against Washington State two weeks ago. North Carolina ranks in the bottom third of teams nationally in rebounding rate, so one might predict a long afternoon for the Tar Heels, but their offensive firepower can keep them in any game. (Just ask Notre Dame and NC State, which both lost to North Carolina in the span of a week earlier this year.) Guard Paris Kea is the star (17.1 points per game), but three other players average double-figure scoring and a fourth averages 9.5 points per game.
FiveThirtyEight model's prediction: California over North Carolina (64 percent)

Oh, thanks, Stu, I like that. (Even though 538 predicted Clinton by a comfortable margin--but who could have predicted all the scheming that kept her out?)

Massey says California, 56%: https://www.masseyratings.com/cbw/ncaa-d1/games?dt=20190323

Meanwhile, we are happily rooting for Arizona in the WNIT, in memory of Polky, a fine, ethical player. (She once pointed out to a ref at Haas, "Oh, no, I'm the one who fouled. Give Cal the ball!")
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.