vs Stanford 1/12/20 game thread

2,567 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Ashfield63
pearbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looking for Cal to stay positive and persistent and patient against the Stanford D...

Go Bears!
HateRed
Bears picking up right where they left off on Friday. Geez...
pearbear
Bear bench stayed with Stanford in latter half of first.
CalWSportsFan
Hanging tough...28-31 with a couple minutes left in half.
CalWSportsFan
29-36 at the half. Go Bears!
stu
Fortunately our shooting woes lasted only partway through the 1st quarter. After that we had too many turnovers, couldn't compete on the boards, and couldn't handle Stanford's guards but I'd call the end result respectable. Plenty of fire for the entire game and Tara didn't empty her bench until the final minute.

I hope Jazlen is OK, she was helped off the court with what looked like a possible concussion. I wish the refs would pay more attention to fouls likely to cause injuries and less to incidental touches.
wvitbear
Losing Green was a big deal. Our best scorer off the bench. And she never came back from the locker room and sat on the bench. Also, what is the deal with Styles leg? She has even more wraps on it and when they bring her out of the game, she goes back of the bench for treatment.

Good crowd tonight.
stu
wvitbear said:

Losing Green was a big deal. ... Also, what is the deal with Styles leg?
Injuries are especially tough with such a small roster.
Quote:

Good crowd tonight.
The box score says 6724. I'm not sure I saw quite that many but it was indeed a great crowd and much larger than I've seen at any men's games for quite a while.
wvitbear
We had almost twice as many fans tonight as were at the Stanford game. Almost 7,000. Best crowd of the year.

Also, the music was a little quieter in the pre game show. At least I think it was . Didn't have my hearing aides in.

stu
wvitbear said:

Also, the music was a little quieter in the pre game show. At least I think it was . Didn't have my hearing aides in.
Due to the long security lines I got in just before tip-off. During the game I mostly kept my earmuffs on as I'm tired of loud surprises.
BearBint
wvitbear: "Also, the music was a little quieter in the pre game show. At least I think it was . Didn't have my hearing aides in."

That was my impression as well. I didn't receive any response to my e-mail complaining about over-loud music, though; I hope Stu does succeed in launching a B.I. irrelevant-noise poll.
"Don't get distracted, myself. Don't get distracted." Self-talk from a young relative
GoCal80
wvitbear said:

We had almost twice as many fans tonight as were at the Stanford game. Almost 7,000. Best crowd of the year.

They were giving free tickets away to all Cal employees this week. Smart move while students are on break.

I go to all the men's games but haven't been to a women's game in a couple years. Is the electronic music louder for women's games? I'm wondering because of the complaints.
stu
Quote:

I go to all the men's games but haven't been to a women's game in a couple years. Is the electronic music louder for women's games? I'm wondering because of the complaints.
Maybe women's fans are more discerning?
john1953
Sara had her best game of the season. Foul shooting was wonderful.

The work-in-process Bears fought hard.

IMHO the difference was the high percentage scoring by Stanfurd - a combination of superior and sometimes dazzling offensive finishing skills at the basket and the mistakes and slow reaction of Cal defenses. Their bigs are creative, athletic AND physical and that helps their guards get into mismatches to exploit.

In my observation, CJ is not the player she was last year or earlier this season. Something is slowing her down, and her offense is struggling. I love CJ, I think she is a competitive advantage when playing at her best.
I think Chen should take more open midrange shots. She is usually wide open and is m-o-n-e-y 10-12 feet out, unguarded. If she hits a few, she will draw the opponent's big away from the double teams and other players will get better shots.

Also I note that Furd is quicker to get back on defense after a shot; some Cal players kind of freeze when the Cal shot goes up neither rebounding or getting back. . And then they get beaten by faster players in transition. Also Cal is not great at boxing out and team rebounding-- embarrassing at times.

The head injury to Green was from a really nasty head-to-head collision and I was disappointed by the delayed response of the Cal Coaches. it's not just Cal. What will it take --across sports-- to get coaches and trainers to understand the severity of potential TBI's? Is it still sports machismo -- "she got her bell rung" attitude? This is bigger than basketball. I hope she's ok without longterm effects. Just watching and hearing her screams in such obvious head trauma distress and the referees having to call the Cal staff to come over felt wrong. The image of student-athlete Jazlen down without faster attention was disappointing even if there was nothing that could be done.

If I sound negative, believe me I feel the potential is there for some upsets and and big wins down the line. Just winning one in Oregon would be a huge boost. Its really up to the coaches to adapt and profit from these losses. And the freshmen are going to get a lot better, seeing how the best of the best D1 teams play.
Ashfield63
I was sitting on the bleachers across from where Jazlen went down. I didn't see what happened. I was wondering if it was a rule that trainers and coaches could not come on to the court unless called over by a referee. Also, the players walked back to the bench. Maybe they have been told to do this. She was very wobbly with the trainer's assistance as she left the court, and went to the trainer's room. She will be under Concusion Protocol. I would not expect to see her play for at least two weeks. Hopeully, she will have a complete recovery. I am sure this is a disappointment for her. Her presence is needed on the court. The three freshman guards play so hard, and are much fun to watch.
GGV
Ashfield63
john1953 said:

IMHO the difference was the high percentage scoring by Stanfurd - a combination of superior and sometimes dazzling offensive finishing skills at the basket and the mistakes and slow reaction of Cal defenses. Their bigs are creative, athletic AND physical and that helps their guards get into mismatches to exploit.

In my observation, CJ is not the player she was last year or earlier this season. Something is slowing her down, and her offense is struggling. I love CJ, I think she is a competitive advantage when playing at her best.
I think Chen should take more open midrange shots. She is usually wide open and is m-o-n-e-y 10-12 feet out, unguarded. If she hits a few, she will draw the opponent's big away from the double teams and other players will get better shots.

Also I note that Furd is quicker to get back on defense after a shot; some Cal players kind of freeze when the Cal shot goes up neither rebounding or getting back. . And then they get beaten by faster players in transition. Also Cal is not great at boxing out and team rebounding-- embarrassing at times.

The head injury to Green was from a really nasty head-to-head collision and I was disappointed by the delayed response of the Cal Coaches. it's not just Cal. What will it take --across sports-- to get coaches and trainers to understand the severity of potential TBI's? Is it still sports machismo -- "she got her bell rung" attitude? This is bigger than basketball. I hope she's ok without longterm effects. Just watching and hearing her screams in such obvious head trauma distress and the referees having to call the Cal staff to come over felt wrong. The image of student-athlete Jazlen down without faster attention was disappointing even if there was nothing that could be done.

If I sound negative, believe me I feel the potential is there for some upsets and and big wins down the line. Just winning one in Oregon would be a huge boost. Its really up to the coaches to adapt and profit from these losses. And the freshmen are going to get a lot better, seeing how the best of the best D1 teams play.

At the open practice last fall Charmain invited everyone to the Club Room where she spoke. and answered questions. She said CJ had been out for a month due to an injury. Maybe, the problem is flaring up. She also said Sara had 2 back surgeries. She didn't say when they occurred.
GGV
Ashfield63
Ashfield63 said:

john1953 said:

GGV
Ashfield63
AT the Open Practice, Charmin spoke to those of us who went to the Club Room to meet with her. She said CJ could not practice for a month. I spoke to C.J.'s mother at a later date who told me she had a recurring Achilles problem. Maybe it is acting up again. Also, she said Sara had been through two back surgeries. She did not say when they occurred.
GGV
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.