Softball: Fall Ball

1,553 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 19 hrs ago by CalFanatic
CalFanatic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Apparently Fall ball started today! The announcement was made less than 48 hours before the first game via instagram, with no time provided and no updates posted to the official schedule on CalBears.com. This lack of clear and timely communication makes it difficult for fans and supporters to engage with the team and attend games.

https://instagr.am/p/DAcKmasSBMP

I believe our student-athletes deserve better visibility, and fans deserve clearer communication about upcoming events. I hope the athletics department can take steps to ensure future announcements and schedules are shared in a timely manner so everyone can stay informed and support the team fully.

Did anyone attend today? I would've attended if a time was provided.
Schroeder71
https://calbears.com/news/2024/9/27/baseball-fall-ball-scrimmages-games-announced.aspx

Here is the men's baseball fall-ball schedule and roster! The softball program should post this info on the official website for the fans that do not subscribe to Instagram, etc. I agree with you that communications should be improved. GO BEARS!
Schroeder71
I just happened to review the 2023 recruit class and only 2 of the 7 had a major impact last season. Randi Roelling has now transferred so that returns only Lagi Quiroga as a member of that class that was a full-time starter. Three others contributed often to the team's success (Alyssa Herrera, Holly Medina & Kyndal Todd).
https://calbears.com/news/2022/11/9/softball-announces-2023-recruiting-class.aspx
CalFanatic
Unsure how we are defining impact but....i'd say all 5 of those names had an impact. Especially as rookies.

Again... FANS WOULD LOVE TO SEE THE FALL BALL GAMES. Hopefully the Cal Athletic Department can be organized and provide the most basic of information =)
Schroeder71
I just hope that the incoming 2024 group generates at least 2 position starters and a solid starting pitcher. I believe seven newbies are joining the team, again. GO BEARS!
CalWSportsFan
This is such a no brainer. Basic promotions that cost nothing but inform fans. How hard is that? I hope the athletic department will do better in this area. We keep saying that but so far, dismal per usual with basic info, news and results.
CalFanatic

CalFanatic
Loving the updates on social media =). Go Bears!

Schroeder71
CF-any info provided regarding the pitchers used this morning? Who are the Pioneers? Did Cal play them in both games? GO BEARS!
CalFanatic
Schroeder71 said:

CF-any info provided regarding the pitchers used this morning? Who are the Pioneers? Did Cal play them in both games? GO BEARS!
Cal State East Bay. I'm unsure who pitched in what games
CalFanatic
2024 Fall Report: California (From D1 Softball)

Top Stories Jenni Carlson - October 9, 2024

Chelsea Spencer still thinks about Cal's season-ending loss to Southern Illinois.
Frankly, she isn't sure when she'll stop ruminating on it.

"The Southern Illinois loss is something that's going to haunt me for a while," the Bears coach said. "As a head coach, I'm like, 'What can I do to get better?'"
Spencer dedicated her offseason to seeking answers that might help Cal turn a massively disappointing loss into a program-defining moment.

The Bears went 37-19 last season, notching several big wins during the regular season against Georgia, Louisiana, Virginia Tech and Oregon. They made the NCAA Tournament for the second consecutive year.
But Cal's NCAA run ended in the Baton Rouge Regional when it lost to Southern Illinois, 3-2, an elimination game.

Cal committed four errors in the game and allowed two unearned runs. In addition, after scoring two quick runs in the first inning, the Bears only scratched out three hits the rest of the game.
Spencer believes it came down to how the Bears handled pressure.
"Understanding what makes people feel pressure and how to relieve that pressure," the fifth-year head coach said, "is my biggest goal this year to get these student-athletes to have peak performance."
Spencer spent the summer talking to coaches around the softball world, picking their brains about how their teams handle pressure. That included Oklahoma coach Patty Gasso, whose Sooners carried the mantle of "defending champs" for several years but managed to win an unprecedented four consecutive national titles.
Spencer also read. A lot.

She says she dove into at least half a dozen books after the Southern Illinois loss, including "The Mastery of Love," "The Emotionally Strong Leader" and "The Culture Code."
"The road to success is paved with mistakes well-handled," Spencer said, reciting something she took from "The Culture Code." "That's what I'm really interested in doing, is creating an atmosphere of making mistakes, fixing them and moving on."

Newcomers
Cal hasn't dipped much into the transfer portal, and this season, the Bears didn't dip at all.
They have seven newcomers, six freshmen and one junior college transfer, and while there aren't a ton of open spots only two full-time position players were among the six players lost to graduation the newbies should add some depth.
Six of the seven have experience playing in the field.
"We're just repping people at every position," Spencer said. "We know that defense and pitching wins championships. That's where we lost last year in the end, and they understand that."

Pitching
Spencer wanted to hire fellow Cal alum Jen Deering to be the Bears' pitching coach a few years ago.
But Spencer didn't think Deering was quite ready.
"I knew she needed to get out a little bit and get her feet wet with some pitchers at Santa Clara," Spencer said, referencing where Deering has been an assistant since 2019. "I wanted to see her development with them."
When Danielle O'Toole-Trejo left this summer to become the pitching coach at Stanford, Spencer knew the time was right to hire Deering.
"I think she might love this university more than I do," Spencer said. "It's good because I know that I'll have longevity with her. She's a proud Bear. She wants to be here, and I need a staff that's going to stay together for a while."
Deering takes over a staff that lost Haylei Archer to graduation and Randi Roelling to the transfer portal. Roelling threw 133 innings last season while Archer threw 123. No one else on the staff threw more than 37.
Still, Spencer believes the four returning arms Ashanti McDade, Anna Reimers, Ryann Orange and Annabel Teperson will lead the Bears' efforts in the circle.
"Those four will be our horses," Spencer said. "I believe in a staff nowadays. It's not going to be starters for the whole game."
"They're going to get us through the year."

Offense
The Bears had five players hit better than .300 last season and four are back.
Now, the one who is gone was Cal's leading hitter: Tatum Anzaldo, part of last season's graduating class, hit .406 and led the team with 73 hits. Still, Acacia Anders, Elon Butler, Mika Lee and Tianna Bell give the Bears a strong offensive nucleus.
Anders, whose .379 batting average ranked second only to Anzaldo on the team, led Cal with 19 doubles while Butler, who hit .351, led the team with 17 homers and 44 runs batted in.
"Elon Butler, oh my God, she's so fit right now," Spencer said. "Tianna Bell is just killing it. … That Southern Illinois loss put my veterans in a mindset of, that was a poor way to lose a game. And I don't think they stopped training."

Defense
The way Cal's season ended last spring, defense will be an ongoing focus.
And not just the nuts and bolts of it.
"We're diving super hard into mental performance," Spencer said, adding that the team regularly meets with mental performance consultant Samantha Gilmore.
"Just really working on being clear on where we are and where we want to go. It's really important to connect the dots there for athletes and understanding that it might not be what you want to hear right now, where we are, but this is where we are and this is where we want to go."

Expectations
During Spencer's four-year career at Cal, she played for the national championship three times and won it once, in 2002.
The Bears haven't reached the Women's College World Series since Spencer returned to Berkeley as the head coach, but last season, they made the NCAA Tournament in back-to-back seasons for the first time since 2018.
It was a step in the right direction, but Spencer wants more.
"Championship mindset, right?" she said. "I'm not interested in just being average."
SFCALBear72
Great story. Thanks.

Coach Spencer will use those two words to motivate herself and her team all next season. Southern Illinois.
Schroeder71
I was surprised that Chelsea did not mention Lagi Quiroga & Kaylee Pond when discussing the offense. I also was stunned that Miranda da Nava was not mentioned as being part of the pitching rotation. Six position players seem to have a lock on a starting job but there should be competition for the remaining three spots between last year's six returnees and the five newbies joining the team this season.

https://calbears.com/sports/softball/stats/2024/pdf
CalFanatic
Schroeder71 said:

I was surprised that Chelsea did not mention Lagi Quiroga & Kaylee Pond when discussing the offense. I also was stunned that Miranda da Nava was not mentioned as being part of the pitching rotation. Six position players seem to have a lock on a starting job but there should be competition for the remaining three spots between last year's six returnees and the five newbies joining the team this season.

https://calbears.com/sports/softball/stats/2024/pdf
This article was posted before any fall ball games occurred. I wouldn't be all that surprised seeing no newcomers mentioned.

However, I would be surprised if we see a top 6 in the batting order different than this tweet. Both Lagi and Kaylee are in that group.

Schroeder71
Thanks for your feedback, CF. I anticipated that Kayli Counts would start in CF because of her speed and defense. Evidently, Harmony Andrade will get an opportunity to fill the void (graduation of Tatum Anzaldo) at the hot corner. Btw, that lineup has ten players listed?
CalFanatic
Cal 9
Sac State 1

Cal 14
CSM 2

Mika Lee goes 7 for 7 on the day

Schroeder71
It appears that Nailyn Marshall is coming on during her second season. She only had seven plate appearances last year. If one checks out her bio, she was rated #13 & #25 nationally by the major rating services. In other words, the Sacramento native was a bigtime recruit. Go Nailyn!

https://calbears.com/sports/softball/roster/nailyn-marshall/22994
CalFanatic
I remember a parent saying Marshall was injured last year... wrist or shoulder... I don't remember. Aging does that to you!

Happy to see she's healthy.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.