I'm SOOO sick of FoxNews busting on California

6,975 Views | 106 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearNIt
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I turned on "Kennedy" on Fox Business and they are playing this same old lame game - bust on California for anything and everything so as to reduce the state's allure.
Political hit job.

I suppose they want to play a long term game of draining the state of its populace - have them all move to Oklahoma or similar - and then win the House as a result.

Just like they played the long game on winning the courts.
Anarchistbear
Tom, don't put three OOOs in So. It's valley girl up
talk. These are the people we want to move to Oklahoma.
concordtom
Dude, gag me with a spoon.
BearForce2
We got it covered right here.

https://bearinsider.com/forums/6/topics/100238/1
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
bearister
There are more than a few fat f@ucks in the flyovers that would still be alive if they lived in California. You know, the ones that looked at nurses and asked why they had PPE on, and then drew their last breath and died.

South Dakota nurse says some patients deny COVID-19 is real, even as they die from it | KTLA

https://ktla.com/news/coronavirus/south-dakota-nurse-says-some-patients-deny-covid-19-is-real-even-as-they-die-from-it/
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
golden sloth
I've been hearing about the 'Mass Exodus from California' but you don't hear about people like this guy, who moved to Texas, hated it, and left.

Quote:

The lifestyle and surroundings weren't the only parts of Texas he took issue with. Alder found the locals to be rude, lacking in integrity and terrible drivers. Not even bumping into McConaughey at a flag football game could change his mind.

Alder wrote that Texas was a "conservative dystopia" and a "monoculture that doesn't seem to be aware of it's own blandness." He eventually pulled his three kids out of the local elementary school because it was run like a "micro-managed military academy."

"Are you ready to have your son judged based on his suitability for a future career in football?" Alder asked. "Are you ready to network by attending the local high school football game with the guys? Because that's a thing in Texas."
He also said:

Quote:

"The thing that California and Austin definitely have in common is that they're both very expensive," Alder wrote. "Austin is not cheap. Let the words sink in. Austin is not cheap, it's actually quite expensive."

Texas might not have any state income taxes, but it has plenty of other costs.

Alder pointed to the high price of energy, water, and services like pool maintenance and landscaping. He also wrote fellow transplants should budget for summer getaways, because "most anyone who can leaves Austin for a month or two" to escape the heat.
My parent's who are conservatives that crossed over to Biden this election, also came to a similar conclusion as to where to retire. Although some states have no income taxes, other taxes and expenses mitigate how much you are actually saving. My parent's lived in OC, retired and moved to Florida, then moved back with 5 years. They still grumble about Newsom, but they couldn't take the heat of Florida, and hated how there were no pollution standards so the rivers and coast my dad would fish in became polluted.

https://www.sfgate.com/lifestyle/travel-outdoors/article/California-man-blasts-Texas-dystopia-in-Op-Ed-15887614.php
sycasey
I mean, I grew up in San Francisco. I'm used to my hometown regularly being used as a conservative punching bag, usually by people who have never lived there.
dimitrig
concordtom said:

I turned on "Kennedy" on Fox Business and they are playing this same old lame game - bust on California for anything and everything so as to reduce the state's allure.
Political hit job.

I suppose they want to play a long term game of draining the state of its populace - have them all move to Oklahoma or similar - and then win the House as a result.

They're are just jealous.

Why did you watch Fox News, anyway? That's just asking for trouble!

okaydo
California has more Trump voters than any other state.

Shouldn't they start saying some nice things about Californians?

dajo9
I'm not sick of Fox News. I don't watch Fox News. Problem solved.
American Vermin
concordtom
dimitrig said:

concordtom said:

Political hit job.

They're are just jealous.

Why did you watch Fox News, anyway? That's just asking for trouble!

Wanted to see how they are positioning trump, impeachment, insurrection, Biden.

Honestly, if there is one main problem with America, it's these groups who seed nonsense.
concordtom
My cousins are from Austin and Dallas.
They grew up jealous of the rest of us in CA. Love it here. But always feeling like they couldn't afford to move.
Spurned, they are now feeling justified by the Fax attacks. It's like, "I never wanted to live there anyways. Too expensive, too many homeless, too many libtards."

I just can never forget Brian whining about 100 straight days of 100 degrees and how he couldn't stand it. That was 20-25 years ago. But I stopped talking to him after he sent me emails about Obama being born in Kenya. He got into some whack **** and I just don't know how to carry on with someone lost from reality like that.

But there's fox, feeding 40% of our nation poison for the brain.
concordtom
sycasey said:

I mean, I grew up in San Francisco. I'm used to my hometown regularly being used as a conservative punching bag, usually by people who have never lived there.

Good point. It used to be slurs about SF and the "gay" area. Homophobia. Now that guys are vocal and present in every US city (normalized) they are going after the entire state.
concordtom
This was a week ago.
She said all the same spew yesterday.

concordtom
Wikipedia:
Kennedy was raised in lake Oswego Oregon. Went to UCLA. Was host at MTV in 90's. Dated goo goo dolls Reznik and the song Name is about her. She identifies with libertarian not republicans, though she tattooed a pink elephant on her upper thigh.
She is 47.

My take:
She's just a curious thinker, undisciplined talking head making a buck. But she gets paid to be provocative and can't be responded to.

concordtom
What needs to happen is mass public campaigns against the advertisers who pay to be on fox.
Boycott those companies.
Cancel.
Vote with dollars.
bearister
"Rupert Murdoch said a "rigidly enforced conformity, aided and abetted by so-called social media, is a straitjacket on sensibility."

Fox Mogul Rupert Murdoch Slams Cancel Culture in Rare Speech - Bloomberg

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-01-25/fox-mogul-rupert-murdoch-slams-cancel-culture-in-rare-speech

In foreign countries, they silence dissidents for telling the truth. In America, they silence those fomenting violence by disseminating lies to the ignorant and THEY SQUEAL LIKE STUCK PIGS!

*Murdoch's own son James Murdoch... telling the Financial Times that outlets "that propagate lies to their audience have unleashed insidious and uncontrollable forces that will be with us for years."
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
concordtom
FoxNews has a message to potential advertisers: Relax, the "negative chatter" associated with sponsoring our toxic brand fades fast. So please buy ads.

In a presentation document obtained and reviewed by The Daily Beast, the network pitched its ad space to potential sponsors by laying out internal data suggesting the negative coverage of Fox's inflammatory, right-wing commentary does not actually harm its advertisers. Additionally, the network touted the "hard-hitting journalism" of stars like Maria Bartiromo, a staunchly pro-Trump host who has long boosted baseless right-wing conspiracy theories.

Over the past several years, the conservative cable news giant has faced a barrage of calls for advertiser boycotts from celebrities, politicians, and liberal activists over a variety of bigoted comments and dangerous conspiracy theories peddled by top on-air personalities like Tucker Carlson, Sean Hannity, and Laura Ingraham. In some cases, like during Carlson's primetime hour, the boycotts have been so persistent that only a handful of advertisersincluding a pro-Trump pillow companyremain.

But behind the scenes, Fox has told potential advertisers not to be concerned.

Companies have been "only temporarily impacted by advertiser boycotts," the network wrote, alongside a graph showing a brief spike in brand mentions for five of its advertisers in March 2019, when old tapes surfaced of Carlson making racist and misogynistic comments on shock jock Bubba the Love Sponge's radio show.

Three of the advertisers mentionedOutback Steakhouse, Capital One, and AstraZenecaall ditched the network as a result. Nevertheless, "conversation volume declined quickly to normal levels regardless of response," the network assured potential ad-buyers.

The network additionally attempted to reassure buyers by claiming that the "negative chatter" about Fox News advertisers is not nearly as bad as the "real brand damage" that Boeing received after 346 people died in two crashes involving its new 737 MAX jetliner; that United Airlines incurred when airport security dragged a bloodied and unconscious doctor off its plane after he refused to give up his seat; or that pizza chain Papa John's received after its founder and former CEO John Schnatter used a racial slur during a company conference call.

And after all, the network dismissively claimed to potential sponsors, "87% of all direct advertiser targeting was from shares and comments on tweets from only three different anti-Fox News activists," singling out liberal writer Judd Legum, social-media activist group Sleeping Giants, and anonymous resistance Twitter account @DesignationSix.

Per a source familiar with the presentation, the mid-year pitch deck has been circulated to potential advertisers in recent months.

Elsewhere in the presentation, Fox News highlighted its diverse roster of programming, particularly touting the "hard-hitting journalism" of Bartiromo alongside anchors like Chris Wallace, Bret Baier, Dana Perino, and Martha MacCallum. "Breaking Through With Quality Journalism," the presentation blared on another page featuring Bartiromo's portrait.

The network selling Bartiromo as a face of its journalism is especially eyebrow-raising considering the famed financial reporter's years-long descent into full-on Trump boosterism.

The Fox host has been a vocal election denialist, leading the charge of the network's right-wing, pro-Trump voices peddling lies that the election was "stolen" from the president via widespread voter fraud. Besides providing a regular platform to Trump lawyer Rudy Giuliani and on-again-off-again Trump legal adviser Sidney Powell to uncritically amplify their unfounded claims, Bartiromo also repeatedly dipped her toes in those same conspiratorial waters.

While she has continued to book high-profile guests from her vast rolodex of financial industry names, her credulous parroting of some of the more unhinged "rigged" election theories from Trumpworld, namely that corrupt voting software flipped millions of Trump votes to President-elect Joe Biden, eventually resulted in legal threats to the network.

Fox News responded to legal threats from voting-machine provider Smartmatic by filming a segment in which an election systems expert debunked the lies about the company. Bartiromo aired the segment on her Sunday morning show, followed by her own brief commentary: "So that is where we stand right now. We will keep investigating."

Despite the network's repeated controversies and subsequent pressure on its advertisers, the limited amount of public data shows Fox News has continued to haul in ad cash. According to a survey released by Pew last year, Fox News posted huge second-quarter revenue gains, which the network partially attributed to its advertising spending.
sycasey
concordtom said:

sycasey said:

Good point. It used to be slurs about SF and the "gay" area. Homophobia. Now that guys are vocal and present in every US city (normalized) they are going after the entire state.

Yes, I used to hear about "San Francisco Values" as a bad thing from right-wingers. I was confused, because I always thought my family's values were just fine and not that different from anyone else's. Then I figured out that the phrase was code for "gay." We were fine with our gay neighbors so guilty as charged, I guess? I still didn't see why that was a bad thing. Love your neighbor and all that, right?

All of this is why I pretty much always saw the conservative movement as bulls***.
LMK5
concordtom said:

What needs to happen is mass public campaigns against the advertisers who pay to be on fox.
Boycott those companies.
Cancel.
Vote with dollars.
You see CT, you are falling into the trap. CNN and the left are campaigning to have Fox--their competitor--pulled off the air and they've pulled you into the fold. I think CNN is garbage and I think they are complicit in the summer BLM riots but I would never, ever, advocate for them to come off the air, no matter what.

That's the difference between the left and the right. The left can't seem to stop at the point where their politics cross from advocacy to oppression.
The truth lies somewhere between CNN and Fox.
Anarchistbear
Who's leaving?
1) Retirees. That's likely an economic consideration. Lots of places in the country are congenial and less expensive
2) African- Americans. Economic and cultural. Atlanta and Houston are much better for both than Fairfield
3) Techoles. Mostly transients attracted to shiny things. Ostrich Skin Boots and Music scene in Nashville or Austin beats San Francisco plus you can afford a house
LMK5
Anarchistbear said:

Who's leaving?
1) Retirees. That's likely an economic consideration. Lots of places in the country are congenial and less expensive
2) African- Americans. Economic and cultural. Atlanta and Houston are much better for both than Fairfield
3) Techoles. Mostly transients attracted to shiny things. Ostrich Skin Boots and Music scene in Nashville or Austin beats San Francisco plus you can afford a house
California politics and taxes suck but I'm staying put. The weather is just too damn good and we have the nicest scenery. Any extra cost for living here I'll chalk up to a "vacation tax." That said, it is extremely difficult for a young person to gain a foothold here because of the cost.
The truth lies somewhere between CNN and Fox.
Anarchistbear
LMK5 said:

Anarchistbear said:

Who's leaving?
California politics and taxes suck but I'm staying put. The weather is just too damn good and we have the nicest scenery. Any extra cost for living here I'll chalk up to a "vacation tax." That said, it is extremely difficult for a young person to gain a foothold here because of the cost.

You can't match the combination of weather and physical beauty and ecosystems- deserts, mountains, rainforests, seashore, anywhere. I spend a number of months a year in the South which is more interesting culturally but doesn't offer anything close to all that.
dimitrig
concordtom said:

Wikipedia:
Kennedy was raised in lake Oswego Oregon. Went to UCLA. Was host at MTV in 90's. Dated goo goo dolls Reznik and the song Name is about her. She identifies with libertarian not republicans, though she tattooed a pink elephant on her upper thigh.
She is 47.

My take:
She's just a curious thinker, undisciplined talking head making a buck. But she gets paid to be provocative and can't be responded to.

She is THAT Kennedy?! The former KROQ DJ known as "the Virgin Kennedy?"

okaydo
concordtom said:

This was a week ago.
She said all the same spew yesterday.

Still can't believe "The Virgin Kennedy" is a Fox News host. Or maybe I can believe it.
AunBear89
She was annoying and useless on MTV. I'm guessing her shtick hasn't changed much for Fox.
BearForce2
Anarchistbear said:

Who's leaving?

It's more than that, it's just regular people who are sick of the politics and paying higher taxes. Most of them live in urban areas where the rainforests?, deserts, and mountains are a little distant. They see increasing crime and homelessness instead.
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
sycasey
BearForce2 said:

rainforests?

I wondered about this too, but a quick Google search gave me the answer. Not all rainforests are tropical.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temperate_rainforest
concordtom
20 minutes, CNBC

Here is a link to the business friendly report referenced in the video:

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/10/americas-top-states-for-business-2019.html

concordtom
Listening to that video above, makes me think:

There's no surprise that much high end wealth leaves - there has gotten to be such a huge disparity in housing cost, for instance, it has to equal out.

I imagine NYC has gone thru similar departures over the last 100+ years, no?

No place has the weather that CA has, so there is ALWAYS going to be major demand in this state - also the hub for Eastern trade.
sycasey
The history of California shows that people who move away are quickly replaced by those who want to move in. Same goes for businesses.
BearForce2
sycasey said:

BearForce2 said:

rainforests?

I wondered about this too, but a quick Google search gave me the answer. Not all rainforests are tropical.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temperate_rainforest

Interesting. California has to be one of the few places in the world where you can go skiing, surfing, and hiking through a rainforest on the same day.

Big C

Hey, everybody hates California, just like everybody makes fun of blonds and the French. Just the other day, my father-in-law said, "Damn California." Why? Because he very much wants to move here, but can't afford a house in this market.

In fact, that's why my piss ant house is worth so much... because everybody hates California.

Wait, do I have the economics correct?
concordtom
sycasey said:

The history of California shows that people who move away are quickly replaced by those who want to move in. Same goes for businesses.
Yeah, unless Climate Change alters it, CA will always have a strong competitive advantage.
joe amos yaks
Big C said:

Hey, everybody hates California, just like everybody makes fun of blonds and the French. Just the other day, my father-in-law said, "Damn California." Why? Because he very much wants to move here, but can't afford a house in this market.

In fact, that's why my piss ant house is worth so much... because everybody hates California.

Wait, do I have the economics correct?

Ask Tversky and Kahneman.
It's behavioral economics.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.