Julius Caesar and the Roman senate

759 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by oski003
helltopay1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The Roman Senate were privileged aristocrats and they demanded to have a voice ( however small or inconsequential) Julius caesar did not see it that way..He became drunk with power. Fancied himself a God. disregarded the advice of his closest associates. Was so confident of his Godliness that he usually dismissed his personal bodyguards ; after all, he was a God ( or, at least, a potential God) and therefore, could not be bothered with the niceties of the Roman organizational chart.
Caesar was popular with the Roman citizens. After all, he was a bonafide military hero, and, in those days, you had to be a military hero to aspire to the elusive throne.
Although Caesar metaphorically crossed the Rubicon with his many transgressions, history suggests he did not deserve his fate. I agree. There is always a way to solve disputes, however difficult and acrimonious.
The lesson here is obvious to all serious students of the relationship between those who wield power and those who are subjected to it.
The relationship is precarious ; therefore, it is paramount that norms, both written and assumed, are adhered to at all times..The benefits of adhering to norms are obvious...history is replete with the terrible consequences of refusing to abide by agreed-upon norms. once a nation ( any nation) becomes a nation of men rather than laws, history suggests trouble lies ahead.
Why is this on my mind????Just finished a biography of Julius caesar.
Anarchistbear
So you're saying Kamala Harris will bury a shiv in Joe?
BearForce2

Jill has already backstabbed Kamala. Maybe Kamala is just waiting for the right moment to get back at Joe.
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
bearister
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Unit2Sucks
helltopay1 said:

The Roman Senate were privileged aristocrats and they demanded to have a voice ( however small or inconsequential) Julius caesar did not see it that way..He became drunk with power. Fancied himself a God. disregarded the advice of his closest associates. Was so confident of his Godliness that he usually dismissed his personal bodyguards ; after all, he was a God ( or, at least, a potential God) and therefore, could not be bothered with the niceties of the Roman organizational chart.
Caesar was popular with the Roman citizens. After all, he was a bonafide military hero, and, in those days, you had to be a military hero to aspire to the elusive throne.
Although Caesar metaphorically crossed the Rubicon with his many transgressions, history suggests he did not deserve his fate. I agree. There is always a way to solve disputes, however difficult and acrimonious.
The lesson here is obvious to all serious students of the relationship between those who wield power and those who are subjected to it.
The relationship is precarious ; therefore, it is paramount that norms, both written and assumed, are adhered to at all times..The benefits of adhering to norms are obvious...history is replete with the terrible consequences of refusing to abide by agreed-upon norms. once a nation ( any nation) becomes a nation of men rather than laws, history suggests trouble lies ahead.
You left out the most important part. Did Julius Caesar have bone spurs?
helltopay1
Sucks....I don't know about bone spurs.....I do know he had sex with both men and women all the time. I guess he couldn't make up his mind.. Actual quote..." He was every man's woman and every women's man." Of course, if you are the Emperor, no on e is going to turn you down...Guess what happens to you if you do..
BearForce2
helltopay1 said:

He's even breaking rules trying to get his shrine built.
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
helltopay1
barack obama.....man of the people......humble as he can be...how about living in the slums of Chicago for about 15 minutes??
AunBear89
You go first, Grampa Simpson.
helltopay1
Anarchist: Jill biden and family will inform Joe at some point that the 'shiv" is the best possible strategy given the prevailing circumstances..It is much more preferable than the 25th amendment..Many folks would be upset to learn that they voted for a mentally incompetent candidate.

helltopay1
aun...after you..mon petit frre..(emphasis on the petit..as in trs petit)
Unit2Sucks
helltopay1 said:

Anarchist: Jill biden and family will inform Joe at some point that the 'shiv" is the best possible strategy given the prevailing circumstances..It is much more preferable than the 25th amendment..Many folks would be upset to learn that they voted for a mentally incompetent candidate.

A+ for projection.

oski003
BearForce2 said:

helltopay1 said:

He's even breaking rules trying to get his shrine built.

I like the Reagan Library. If he is using donations to fund this, that is pretty cool. Stuff like this is great imo. Don't know the specifics of the broken rules or alleged environmental issues. Hopefully, that gets worked out.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.