How do you teach World History, or talk about current events in the world, without teaching students ABOUT Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, Judaism, Hinduism, etc.?
And the best way to teach HS students about any religion -- aside from basic beliefs -- is to go to a place of worship, and have them hear from, and interact with, members of that religion. Let them have an experience of it.
I went to Catholic school thru HS, and in HS, the Comparative Religion class -- where we learned about the world's non-Christian religions -- was one of my favorites.
I'll have to track this case, because the District should be smart enough to NOT settle. I can't wait to see the plaintiffs' EVIDENCE showing that the students were damaged by their experience. A religious group offered Qurans & literature to the students??? OH NO!!!!!
IF a jury finds that the students were damaged by receiving religious literature and talking with Muslims at a mosque, then the Feds are going to have to shut down the Jehovah's Witnesses & stop printing the Watchtower, and stop all Mormon proselytizing missions in the U.S. as well.
As it turns out, I was just summoned for jury duty in San Mateo County Court last week, and I have to say that our pool of prospective jurors was a very diverse group, with me & other white folks in the minority. I think it would be extremely difficult to come up with a jury where a majority were sympathetic to the idea that HS students would be damaged by going to a mosque, talking to people, and receiving literature.
Palo Alto USD is in Santa Clara County, but I think the demographics are similar enough.
Any attempt at limiting the religious freedom of Muslims will run right into Our 1st Amendment. We either have Freedom of Religion, or we don't.
I don't think the irate parents have a leg to stand on. They're going to have to show EVIDENCE that their kids were DAMAGED by their experience. Aside from that, all they have is their Islamophobic, cartoonish propaganda.
It won't take long for the jury to see that the plaintiff parents are doing far more damage to their kids than any mosque visit could.