Off Topic
Sponsored by

Spare the Air?

470 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 19 days ago by LudwigsFountain
LudwigsFountain
How long do you want to ignore this user?


It's not a spare the air day until tomorrow, but given the conditions and forecast I would have held off on the Angel Island controlled burn. Currently 82 on my deck with, as you can see, very little wind to dissipate the smoke
Eastern Oregon Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
LudwigsFountain said:



It's not a spare the air day until tomorrow, but given the conditions and forecast I would have held off on the Angel Island controlled burn. Currently 82 on my deck with, as you can see, very little wind to dissipate the smoke

I'm kind of surprised they are doing a controlled burn now. This is generally the driest time of year. Usually they do the bulk of them in the early spring around here and just a few in October or early November. That said, fire fighters look for days with winds over 5 mph (enough to push the fire) and less than 10-12 mph (slow enough to keep the fire movement controllable). Days like that are probably not very common on the bay, so they are taking advantage of an opportunity. The smoke plume looks like it's rising to 1,000 feet or more, so it's probably not too unhealthy at the surface. Around here, we've had wildfires all summer. It's been about the worst summer since I've been here. From July until a couple of weeks ago, the sky has been murky and brown and you could smell the smoke at times. However, the AQI has not been too bad except in the late night and for a couple of hours after sunrise (when you would smell the smoke). I could look up the Bay Area numbers but I suspect they aren't too bad.
DiabloWags
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Oakland at 120?

https://www.airnow.gov/state/?name=california
LudwigsFountain
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

LudwigsFountain said:



It's not a spare the air day until tomorrow, but given the conditions and forecast I would have held off on the Angel Island controlled burn. Currently 82 on my deck with, as you can see, very little wind to dissipate the smoke

I'm kind of surprised they are doing a controlled burn now. This is generally the driest time of year. Usually they do the bulk of them in the early spring around here and just a few in October or early November. That said, fire fighters look for days with winds over 5 mph (enough to push the fire) and less than 10-12 mph (slow enough to keep the fire movement controllable). Days like that are probably not very common on the bay, so they are taking advantage of an opportunity. The smoke plume looks like it's rising to 1,000 feet or more, so it's probably not too unhealthy at the surface. Around here, we've had wildfires all summer. It's been about the worst summer since I've been here. From July until a couple of weeks ago, the sky has been murky and brown and you could smell the smoke at times. However, the AQI has not been too bad except in the late night and for a couple of hours after sunrise (when you would smell the smoke). I could look up the Bay Area numbers but I suspect they aren't too bad.

That makes sense. Although I would think the need to control things would be a little more elastic on an island
Refresh
Page 1 of 1
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.