Official Repository for TV/Movie Recommendations

2,365 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by bearister
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?

https://www.imdb.com/title/

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3428912/

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
golden sloth
I'm more of a TV streaming guy:

Danger 5 - Australian High Quality Low Budget 1960's Era Spy Thriller Crossed with 1970's Men's Adventure Magazine but set in WWII

Dark - German Sci-Fi

Money Heist - Spanish Caper Show

Its the End of the ****ing World - British Teen Psychopath Runs Away with the Girl He Wants to Kill

concordtom
EXPERIMENTER
This movie, along with the less interesting Stanford Prison Study, taught me about people.
In the prison film, people conform to play roles they are led to play via instruction by others, even if that role is immoral or unethical.
In Experimenter, we see in greater detail how people will conform to play these immoral and unethical roles simply by moving en masse with the group.
Gives rise to group think, and loss of individual spirit. Thus, if one can steer the the group, they can commit atrocities.
Social psychology via propaganda, speeches, imagery, etc. leads to Holocaust.
It's what I see in Trump and the GOP (evil and lying) that is similar to Nazi germany.

Why do we allow Group Think?
Empathy is a basic trait shared by many species. In fact, it can save your life.
Without it, you might be left alone asking, "Hey, where did everybody go?"

So, we go from that, to this:

...to this:

I realize the thread is about films, and I've again brought it back to trump. But THIS film helped me understand the current phenomenon. Has nobody watched it?
calbearinamaze
Genius Thread

Anything by Monty Python.

The Wizard of OZ.
We all need what's over the rainbow at some poin(s) in our lifes.
It actually predicted Trump....DT=wizard.

concordtom
This film, Gattaca, is about Triumph of the human spirit:

concordtom
The doctor believes in spirit over predetermined destiny. We can too.

Anarchistbear
HBO documentary of Elizabeth Holmes- a fascinating portrait of a total sociopath who conned the media, investors, customers and a slew of famous men- George Schultz, Henry Kissinger, and a particularly creepy David Boies. Hailed as a genius by all she was the new face of American entrepreneurship and Silicon Valley- which I guess turned out to be accurate.
bearister
Cameron Crowe produced this documentary and Sony Pictures purchased it at Sundance. I keep waiting for its distribution.

okaydo
There's this movie on Netflix called The Dirt.

It's about an incongruously varied group of guys who used to row crew together who formed a rock band in the 1980s.

Another Bear

Here's some foreign film indie fun. Reminds of me housemates, house sharing and goofing off in SF during the 90s down to the weirdness and characters. It was the first thing I streamed on Netflix, when they were still sending out DVDs.

He Died with a Felafel in His Hand (2001)
prospeCt
"There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games"

"Bullfighting is the only art in which the artist is in danger of death and in which the degree of brilliance in the performance is left to the fighter's honor.

"Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place then come down and shoot the survivors."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/mar/30/the-leggings-problem-can-we-just-never-hear-about-them-again

for A B

sonofabear51
Shut up little man, LOL. A friend has made some of those recordings into radio ID spots for his station, and they are hilarious. I guess this movie is a bit of a cult following, I haven't seen it, but have heard it is quite something minus all of the F-bombs.
Start Slowly and taper off
bearister

GATC
Anarchistbear said:

HBO documentary of Elizabeth Holmes- a fascinating portrait of a total sociopath who conned the media, investors, customers and a slew of famous men- George Schultz, Henry Kissinger, and a particularly creepy David Boies. Hailed as a genius by all she was the new face of American entrepreneurship and Silicon Valley- which I guess turned out to be accurate.
I like the one on HBO better than the one on ABC. Pretty amazing that Betsy DeVos and Robert Kraft invested $125M each and lost it all.
bearister
prospeCt said:

"There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games"

"Bullfighting is the only art in which the artist is in danger of death and in which the degree of brilliance in the performance is left to the fighter's honor.

"Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place then come down and shoot the survivors."...

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/mar/31/ernest-hemingway-centre-opens-in-havana-cuba?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
bearister
Another Bear
prospeCt said:

Hahaha, I remember that Shut Up Little Man Stuff. That was when the Lower Haight was still a bit dicey.

re: bullfighting...check out "Jamon Jamon" with a young Penelope Cruz (debut) and Javier Bardem. Spanish sex farce. Can't find the clip but there's a hilarious scene where two young lads discuss and then perform the "most macho way to bullfight". Won't spoil it but it slays machismo. If you like Spanish farce, this is great. Bigas Luna out does Pedro Almodovar.

Quote:

When a mother disapproves of her daughter's lover, she hires an underwear model and former bullfighter to seduce her daughter.
okaydo
--I've seen Jamon Jamon several times.

--Saw the first 25 minutes of The Highwayman. Saw that it has universal rave reviews. Very pretty, but not totally sucking me in so far.

--The Elizabeth Holmes documentary was great, but there has been a lot of criticism of it from those who read the WSJ reporter's book (which I haven't)....I think this article captures some of the annoyances with the film, chiefly that she came from the privilege and with the elite connections to make this happen, and that the documentary focused too much on her personality and not enough on how she was enabled to

https://newrepublic.com/article/153419/theranos-documentary-misses
bearister
I have not seen it yet. I like cast and story, as I did for Triple Frontier, but that quasi sucked.
prospeCt

concordtom
okaydo said:

There's this movie on Netflix called The Dirt.

It's about an incongruously varied group of guys who used to row crew together who formed a rock band in the 1980s.

Watched it.
Not very good.
It told how Motley Crue got started, and showed the sexual and drugs.
But it didn't address how their wrote their songs, didn't highlight their hits and records sold, didn't deal with the end of their run, retirement. No Pamela Anderson.
Nicki Sixx used to be on a Sac radio talk show, may still be, and he was really good to listen to. But he came off as less intelligent in the movie.

My brother is (sadly) a big fan, so I have heard about them for years, and even met Mick Mars once at Hotel Huntington (when Duran Duran was also there same time).

A better production could have been made. As it was, it made them look like a bunch of pathetic idiots!
Left (the couch) feeling incomplete.
concordtom
concordtom
rkt88edmo
Mr. Robot
USA series with S1-3 on Amazon Prime free right now, S4 will be the last season, it is filming now and will tee up this year.

There is so much great media/TV content out there these days.
ducky23
If you are like me and believe The Leftovers is one of the best things to ever be on tv, then check out season 2 of THe OA (Netflix).

You will have to get thru season 1 first, which isn't as good. But season 2 is incredible and the finale is *** crazy
rkt88edmo
ducky23 said:

If you are like me and believe The Leftovers is one of the best things to ever be on tv, then check out season 2 of THe OA (Netflix).

You will have to get thru season 1 first, which isn't as good. But season 2 is incredible and the finale is *** crazy
Definitely enjoyed the leftovers. Haven't jumped into OA or The Expanse but they are next up.
BGolden
rkt88edmo said:

Mr. Robot
USA series with S1-3 on Amazon Prime free right now, S4 will be the last season, it is filming now and will tee up this year.

There is so much great media/TV content out there these days.
Mr. Robot is good. A couple of shows I'd recommend :

Counterpart - Just got cancelled after two seasons but wrapped up at a decent point, may get picked up by another network.

Orphan Black - Like Rami Malek, Tatiana Maslany won an Emmy for best actress
BGolden
ducky23 said:

I enjoyed season 1 of OA. Looking forward to watching season 2.

Another show worth checking out is Sense8. An interesting premise & good characters.
bearister
I'm begging anyone to watch this series I bought on Amazon Prime and which I posted earlier. I just watched the Season finale of the Season 3, 6 episode story arc. I need someone's thoughts on it. IT BLEW MY MIND! I paced the room and drank while watching it, and screamed at the TV. Grade: A+++++

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2303687/
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.