Today I give a glorious hand salute

5,306 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Yogi3
Blueblood
How long do you want to ignore this user?

...to Bill Taylor (former US Ambassador to the Ukraine)......Today he continued to give service to his Country.

Airborne salute All The Way, Everyday

from fellow Unit member and Viet Nam veteran Blueblood
B.A. Bearacus
BB, to be perfectly clear: you personally served in Nam with Bill Taylor?
Blueblood
B.A. Bearacus said:

BB, to be perfectly clear: you personally served in Nam with Bill Taylor?
No, as I left, he arrived but we were both Screaming Eagles
B.A. Bearacus
Respect for your service, BB.
bearister
That's Bad A$$, BB!
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
B.A. Bearacus
One more question BB: is this the first time that you've ever publicly shared details of your service on BI?
bearister
Blueblood
B.A. Bearacus said:

One more question BB: is this the first time that you've ever publicly shared details of your service on BI?
No........I first told old poster CJay (and of course, GreyBear) back sometime in the late 1990's about SOG experience.....
B.A. Bearacus
Blueblood said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

No........I first told old poster CJay (and of course, GreyBear) back sometime in the late 1990's about SOG experience.....
Thanks for sharing this little detail of your life history. It's cool to have little details shared on occasion that offer some color, depth, or detail to our incredibly familiar but otherwise completely anonymous BI handles.
bearister
Blueblood said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

...and yet the ba$tards still banned you. A pox on their house!
Blueblood
bearister said:

Blueblood said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

Yes, I was banned but not by GreyBear per se. He made the decision to accept corporate sponsorship for financial reasons. The corporate office and the ass licking moderator deemed me as a noncooperative
poster. They got rid of me, but to my amusement, the corporate business venture didn't work out. I only regret that the corporate office put extreme undue pressure upon GreyBear.
B.A. Bearacus
Lots of good will in this thread. Could this be an opportunity for me to broker a truce between you and AunBear89?

Update: Oops, nevermind.
AunBear89
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
B.A. Bearacus
Can someone get me up to speed of the origins of Bluebood and AunBear89's blood feud?
GoOskie
Ha ha. Good timing.

AunBear89
It dates back to the dawn of Bear Insider -
aka cyberbears.org.

Not .com
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
B.A. Bearacus
AunBear89 said:

aka cyberbears.org.
Fellas, can we let bygones be bygones? Wonder if it's like the Hatfields and McCoys where you don't know what it's like not to be enemies, so that's what you stick with. Maybe I'm wrong and you guys genuinely have fresh examples of things you dislike about each other.

In an effort to give peace at least one chance, I ask that you allow the sniping to stop as of right now. Any new breach of this truce, then it just goes back to being enemies till the end of BI days. But let's try a reset as of right now.

bearister
Blueblood said:

bearister said:

Blueblood said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

Yes, I was banned but not by GreyBear per se. He made the decision to accept corporate sponsorship for financial reasons. The corporate office and the ass licking moderator deemed me as a noncooperative
poster. They got rid of me, but to my amusement, the corporate business venture didn't work out. I only regret that the corporate office put extreme undue pressure upon GreyBear.

I've been banned by greasy spoon establishments on the side roads of the Information Super Highway as a "$h@tposter."

*I got banned by Cyberbears for lacking "hirsuteness."
Cal88
AunBear89 said:

Blueblood
I can tell you that service in Dang Gong was rough duty!
AunBear89
Whatever you say, Agent Orange!

Sam Bang was pretty tough, too. I'd love to tell you why I was there. But it's very hush hush.
AunBear89
B.A. Bearacus said:

AunBear89 said:

aka cyberbears.org.
Fellas, can we let bygones be bygones? Wonder if it's like the Hatfields and McCoys where you don't know what it's like not to be enemies, so that's what you stick with. Maybe I'm wrong and you guys genuinely have fresh examples of things you dislike about each other.

In an effort to give peace at least one chance, I ask that you allow the sniping to stop as of right now. Any new breach of this truce, then it just goes back to being enemies till the end of BI days. But let's try a reset as of right now.

"To be wronged is nothing, unless you continue to remember it." Confucius
concordtom
bearister said:

Blueblood said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

Considering reality, ouch.
RIP, Chris Avery.
concordtom
Blueblood said:

I can tell you that service in Dang Gong was rough duty!

How accurate was the film Platoon?
I saw that and said no F'ing way am I ever gonna serve.
bearister
concordtom said:

How accurate was the film Platoon?
I saw that and said no F'ing way am I ever gonna serve.

https://www.smithsonianchannel.com/shows/the-real-story/platoon/679/3375247

Oliver Stone's Platoon Buddies Recall the War 20 Years Later | PEOPLE.com

https://people.com/archive/oliver-stones-platoon-buddies-recall-the-war-20-years-later-vol-27-no-19/
https://www.google.com/amp/s/people.com/archive/oliver-stones-platoon-buddies-recall-the-war-20-years-later-vol-27-no-19/amp/
concordtom
The father of two boys, Fitzgerald liked Platoon but doesn't want his 69-year-old mother or 70-year-old father to see it. "I don't think they could take it," he says, "because they didn't have any idea of what I was going though. But I want my sons to see the movie so they'll know that something like this shouldn't happen again."

Yeah, I'd be one of those kids (their age). I got the message.
blungld
bearister said:

I've been banned by greasy spoon establishments on the side roads of the Information Super Highway as a "$h@tposter."

*I got banned by Cyberbears for lacking "hirsuteness."
I've been banned from the campus of UCLA, USC, and Ohio State!

And yet, I have gone back to all three in secret. Shhhhh.
Cal88
Sounds like you were too easy on the Furd.
bearister
concordtom said:

The father of two boys, Fitzgerald liked Platoon but doesn't want his 69-year-old mother or 70-year-old father to see it. "I don't think they could take it," he says, "because they didn't have any idea of what I was going though. But I want my sons to see the movie so they'll know that something like this shouldn't happen again."

Yeah, I'd be one of those kids (their age). I got the message.

"Jack Pelletier, 38 (in 1987), feels Platoon is historically inaccurate. "The real war," he says, "was much, much worse." Still, he continues, "I thought the movie was great. My friends ask me, 'Was the jungle that thick?' 'No,' I tell them, 'it was thicker.' Most of the time you couldn't walk; you had to crawl to get through. The movie showed one leech on a guy's cheek. Well, hell, there were a million leeches. They were all over the place."
Anarchistbear
Never thought that much of Platoon. Apocalypse Now and Full Metal Jacket- best Nam movies. First half of Deer Hunter ranks
Cal88
Hamburger Hill was OK too, IIRC.

Worst Vietnam movie was Ken Burn's series, total whitewashing job. 17 hours long, and only one minute spent on the Gulf of Tonkin hoax which sparked the war, and barely a mention of the darker reality of the war, like the Phoenix Program.

On the subject of Nam flicks, special mention to the score from Platoon, from the great late Georges Delerue, one of the best soundtrack artists of all time.

Might as well be the soundtrack to our current season at this rate...

Blueblood
For me and other fellow slicks, the best song that went through our heads was "Time Has Come Today" by the Chambers Brothers (long version). Damn, that was good!...real good...especially when we were blowin' the s#it out of somethin'!
bearister

I owned the album.
Cal88
The Byrds' Draft Morning, from the excellent Notorious Byrds Bros album, is an underrated song on the same genre:

concordtom
What do you mean "owned"???
What did you do with your record collection?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.