We are headed over a financial cliff very soon

2,830 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by dajo9
Krugman Is A Moron
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/newsletters/2020-06-30/five-things-you-need-to-know-to-start-your-day?sref=vuYGislZ
Krugman Is A Moron
And here it is explained in terms that even BearFarce2 could understand
sp4149
Reading the Bloomberg piece did not show much evidence of going off a cliff.

What financial talking heads seem to overlook is that the Trump Administration
used a lot of fiscal tools to keep the economy heating up; tools that are normally used
during a recession to jump start a recovery.

Shooting your wad during an expanding economy, leaves you ineffective during a slump.
We have had massive deficit spending during the first three years of the Trump economy;
it will have to continue to prevent a depression, but it's been wasted if needed for a recovery.
Fed rates have been lowered in the past to promote recovery, but Trump lowered the Fed rates to
expand the economy and when at zero how can the Fed lower the rates to stimulate a recovery?

Preserving dying industries like coal mining has diverted money needed to support industries of the future.
The GOP already conceded solar cell technology to China, backing out of the Paris accord takes the US out of the global environmental (green) marketplace. Pushing NATO to spend more on Defense will ultimately result In NATO countries building their own weapons instead of Buying American. Cutting Foreign aid packages, which are mostly military aid deals, means less overseas sales for our defense sector. The Trump administration has been reducing the international marketplace for the US Defense industry, but in a recession expansion of Defense Industry sales will be needed.

Since his promised infrastructure renewal has been little more than a couple of hundred miles of border wall,
infrastructure renewal may be one of the few unused tools left.
Krugman Is A Moron
sp4149 said:

Reading the Bloomberg piece did not show much evidence of going off a cliff.

What financial talking heads seem to overlook is that the Trump Administration
used a lot of fiscal tools to keep the economy heating up; tools that are normally used
during a recession to jump start a recovery.

Shooting your wad during an expanding economy, leaves you ineffective during a slump.
We have had massive deficit spending during the first three years of the Trump economy;
it will have to continue to prevent a depression, but it's been wasted if needed for a recovery.
Fed rates have been lowered in the past to promote recovery, but Trump lowered the Fed rates to
expand the economy and when at zero how can the Fed lower the rates to stimulate a recovery?

Preserving dying industries like coal mining has diverted money needed to support industries of the future.
The GOP already conceded solar cell technology to China, backing out of the Paris accord takes the US out of the global environmental (green) marketplace. Pushing NATO to spend more on Defense will ultimately result In NATO countries building their own weapons instead of Buying American. Cutting Foreign aid packages, which are mostly military aid deals, means less overseas sales for our defense sector. The Trump administration has been reducing the international marketplace for the US Defense industry, but in a recession expansion of Defense Industry sales will be needed.

Since his promised infrastructure renewal has been little more than a couple of hundred miles of border wall, infrastructure renewal may be one of the few unused tools left.
What do you think is going to happen with the economy when unemployment benefits are cut off and people can't go to work? Have you seen pictures of the lines at unemployment offices?
chazzed
"We have had massive deficit spending during the first three years of the Trump economy..."

You must be mistaken. I mean, if nothiing else, the Republican party is the party of fiscal responsibility. Deficit spending during a boom would be as idiotic as, I don't know, electing a non-politician to the highest political position in the land.
LMK5
What I find interesting is that it makes perfect sense that we are not in a good economic place right now and the near future doesn't look better, but the stock markets are clearly betting on better times ahead. I'm wondering if a vaccine is much closer than we think.
The truth lies somewhere between CNN and Fox.
Krugman Is A Moron
LMK5 said:

What I find interesting is that it makes perfect sense that we are not in a good economic place right now and the near future doesn't look better, but the stock markets are clearly betting on better times ahead. I'm wondering if a vaccine is much closer than we think.
I'm wondering if you have any idea how there's a massive disconnect between the conditions of workers and income vs what the stock market thinks? There is no vaccine on the immediate horizon.
calbear93
LMK5 said:

One, I think the financial incentive and the government/private support will result in accelerated approval of a vaccine by multiple companies. Even the FDA will be quick to clear the premarket notifications.

Two, I think you have to look at which companies/industries are doing well. It is not a broad recovery. Investors are assuming the pain of Q2 results that will be announced soon and mild recovery in Q3. They are betting on really Q4 or next year. Tech companies, companies with high recurring revenues and low customer churn, market leaders who can take market shares now, and companies that can leverage the new long-term behavior have higher multiples and will be rewarded fastest.

Travel, hospitality, aerospace, oil&gas, and industrial or other cyclicals are still going to suffer and I suspect will suffer for awhile. Look at Delta, GE, Boeing, most petroleum companies. I wouldn't touch those and, if their stock prices jump up, then great, but over the long run, do I believe I want to invest in those industries? Probably not. It's the AMZN, MSFT, GOOG, AAPL that will dominate. Maybe medical device and life science companies like Abbott and Danaher. Early stage phama companies like Moderna can do well if you bet right, but there is too much risk for me. Some will become Amgen while others never realize the promise. You can also look at some industries and companies that are hurt by the pandemic but who can recover more quickly than others. It's times like this that one can do really well getting a sense of management, like J&J and Goldman Sachs, and whether they, while getting dinged like others, can recover and take market share faster. Who has the stickiest revenue and low cost of keeping customers to renew? Which management is consistently executing above peers and managing expenses well during the downturn while investing in innovation?
golden sloth
LMK5 said:

I found this video interesting.

The conclusion, is that the big internet companies at the top are doing well, because they have the cash to withstand a downturn and the work from home movement increases the need for their services. The stock market success of these top companies is hiding the struggles facing low and mid-level companies.

dajo9
The Fed balance sheet has expanded from $4 trillion to $7 trillion since March. That's the same expansion as in the 6 years after the housing bubble. They are shoveling money to Wall Street with a firehose. Trump's Fed is not about to let the 1% suffer.
He / Him
LMK5
calbear93 said:

LMK5 said:

One, I think the financial incentive and the government/private support will result in accelerated approval of a vaccine by multiple companies. Even the FDA will be quick to clear the premarket notifications.

Two, I think you have to look at which companies/industries are doing well. It is not a broad recovery. Investors are assuming the pain of Q2 results that will be announced soon and mild recovery in Q3. They are betting on really Q4 or next year. Tech companies, companies with high recurring revenues and low customer churn, market leaders who can take market shares now, and companies that can leverage the new long-term behavior have higher multiples and will be rewarded fastest.

Travel, hospitality, aerospace, oil&gas, and industrial or other cyclicals are still going to suffer and I suspect will suffer for awhile. Look at Delta, GE, Boeing, most petroleum companies. I wouldn't touch those and, if their stock prices jump up, then great, but over the long run, do I believe I want to invest in those industries? Probably not. It's the AMZN, MSFT, GOOG, AAPL that will dominate. Maybe medical device and life science companies like Abbott and Danaher. Early stage phama companies like Moderna can do well if you bet right, but there is too much risk for me. Some will become Amgen while others never realize the promise. You can also look at some industries and companies that are hurt by the pandemic but who can recover more quickly than others. It's times like this that one can do really well getting a sense of management, like J&J and Goldman Sachs, and whether they, while getting dinged like others, can recover and take market share faster. Who has the stickiest revenue and low cost of keeping customers to renew? Which management is consistently executing above peers and managing expenses well during the downturn while investing in innovation?
Sure, but if you compare the market's reaction to events in 2008-2009 there's just no contest. Business prospects aren't better today than they were in late 2008, and by March 2009 the Dow was down well over 50% from its highs. Even the broad indexes, though market weighted, are doing well. NASDAQ is pushing up against record highs and the DJIA--all dividend paying industrial stocks--is down what, less than 10%? I'm astounded at the resilience.

We're not even at normal correction levels. The market sees something positive on the horizon that we're not seeing. Stay tuned.
dajo9
LMK5 said:

calbear93 said:

LMK5 said:

Sure, but if you compare the market's reaction to events in 2008-2009 there's just no contest. Business prospects aren't better today than they were in late 2008, and by March 2009 the Dow was down well over 50% from its highs. Even the broad indexes, though market weighted, are doing well. NASDAQ is pushing up against record highs and the DJIA--all dividend paying industrial stocks--is down what, less than 10%? I'm astounded at the resilience.

We're not even at normal correction levels. The market sees something positive on the horizon that we're not seeing. Stay tuned.
LIQUIDITY
He / Him
LMK5
dajo9 said:

The Fed balance sheet has expanded from $4 trillion to $7 trillion since March. That's the same expansion as in the 6 years after the housing bubble. They are shoveling money to Wall Street with a firehose. Trump's Fed is not about to let the 1% suffer.
Careful there. You'd be surprised at how many on this board are one-percenters or damn close.
dajo9
LMK5 said:

dajo9 said:

Careful there. You'd be surprised at how many on this board are one-percenters or damn close.
Eat the 1%

Sincerely,
A 2%er
He / Him
LMK5
dajo9 said:

LMK5 said:

dajo9 said:

Eat the 1%

Sincerely,
A 2%er
See, you're almost there! BTW, I grew up in North Bergen in Hudson County, went to school for awhile in Scotch Plains and have relatives in the Glassboro area. Where are you located?
dajo9
LMK5 said:

dajo9 said:

LMK5 said:

dajo9 said:

Eat the 1%

Sincerely,
A 2%er
See, you're almost there! BTW, I grew up in North Bergen in Hudson County, went to school for awhile in Scotch Plains and have relatives in the Glassboro area. Where are you located?
I'm in Morris County - not too far from Scotch Plains.

South Jersey is basically the Confederacy
He / Him
LMK5
dajo9 said:

LMK5 said:

dajo9 said:

LMK5 said:

dajo9 said:

Eat the 1%

Sincerely,
A 2%er

Yes, Morris County is a very nice area. Very well-to-do. North Bergen was solidly Irish and Italian blue collar when I was growing up.
dajo9
LMK5 said:

dajo9 said:

LMK5 said:

dajo9 said:

LMK5 said:

dajo9 said:

Eat the 1%

Sincerely,
A 2%er

Yes, Morris County is a very nice area. Very well-to-do. North Bergen was solidly Irish and Italian blue collar when I was growing up.
Much changed now. Are you trying to Make North Bergen Great Again?
He / Him
Bobodeluxe
The laughable cur says that if taxes are eliminated for people like me, tax receipts will grow exponentially.
calbear93
LMK5 said:

calbear93 said:

LMK5 said:

I suspect there are couple of factors, although I am sure there are economists who can better explain the difference.

In 2008-2009, there were risky mortgages that were chopped up and securitized as AAA investment grade bond investments by rating agencies, with derivatives and insurance contracts backing defaults sitting on the balance sheet of banks as asset support. Many of the key financials institutions (other than maybe Goldman Sachs who were forced to take TARP to take out the stigma) were fully aware how much of their balance sheet was built on bad mortgages and on the assumption that real estate would keep going up. Even funds that, by their charter were required to invest only in bonds rated as investment grade, were heavily invested in risky mortgages through securitization.

When Lehman Brothers after Bear Sterns were allowed to go under and the money market funds went below par, there was substantial uncertainty as to whether the financial institutions could survive. With funds drying up while borrowers like Ford and GM knowing that they could not meet their leverage ratio covenants for the upcoming quarter completely drew down on their revolvers, banks had no additional funds to lend to others, including those who had expected to roll over their maturing debt. People say that the government bailed out banks, but i don't think they realize how close we were to watching the entire banking system and our economy crater beyond repair, and if anything, the Treasury waited too long and allowed Lehman Brothers to fail, causing the entire economy to lose trillions (including on the backs of people who became unemployed, had their homes foreclosed, etc.).

With this pandemic, I don't see this as a breakdown in the foundation of our economic system but a significant shock to what was a healthy economy with low unemployment, with no reason why we could not be back to where we were within a year of when we get to the other side of the pandemic. Of course, the longer we go with the shut down, the more permanent damage we create to the economy, but it was not a shock that threaten the capital system (with the bubble built on a house of cards of eternally rising home prices).
Big C
LMK5 said:

calbear93 said:

LMK5 said:

We're not even at normal correction levels
. The market sees something positive on the horizon that we're not seeing. Stay tuned.

There sure seems to be a disconnect between where the market is right now and the current fundamentals of our economy (projected well into 2021)! Seems to me to be based more on optimism and hope than anything else.

Reminds me of the people coming together to socialize the last several weeks: "We made such a sacrifice for almost THREE MONTHS! How could things NOT be better!"

I can't for the life of me imagine people getting further into general equities at this time. Getting out of them, yes.
calbear93
Big C said:

LMK5 said:

calbear93 said:

LMK5 said:

We're not even at normal correction levels
. The market sees something positive on the horizon that we're not seeing. Stay tuned.

There sure seems to be a disconnect between where the market is right now and the current fundamentals of our economy (projected well into 2021)! Seems to me to be based more on optimism and hope than anything else.

Reminds me of the people coming together to socialize the last several weeks: "We made such a sacrifice for almost THREE MONTHS! How could things NOT be better!"

I can't for the life of me imagine people getting further into general equities at this time. Getting out of them, yes.
And where are you putting your money? A CD that pays less than inflation? And when do you expect to get back in to equities? If you can time the market, well, you should be a billionaire. I think if you are worried, you should diversity in different assets, including investing in HGM, real estate, bonds, large caps, commodities, etc. Most of my investments are done by my advisors who automatically diversifies the funds or in IRAs. I would say only 20% of my assets that I invest are in personal account where I buy individual stocks, with maintaining sufficient cash balance to take advantage of any big fear in the market and not feel like I need to sell anything earlier than 5 years. You could put it in gold, but that is like investing in bitcoin, just hoping someone pays you more for something not inherently valuable than what you paid. In early March, when there was fear in the market, I added to my already heavy positions in Amazon, Apple, Microsoft, Danaher, J&J, GS, Roper, and Google because they were well run companies that were being beaten down like everyone else. Yes, I saw my personal investment account, as well as my trusts and my IRAs all fall another 10-15% in middle of March, but since I believe in the long term value proposition of these companies and industries, I kept adding to the investments every time there was another big drop in companies that I knew were in growth industries with sticky revenues run by top of the line management teams. That's what I have always done, even in 2008 when people were telling me I should have sold Apple, J&J and Danaher at the peak. I looked stupid for awhile, and could have made more by selling and going back in, but that would mean I have too much confidence in my ability to time the market. Most likely, I would have sold and, once the stock went up even higher, I would have waited for the next drop that did not come until this year (but only after, in certain stocks, going up another 10 times). I will wait it out and, if there is a huge crash, I have sufficient liquidity that I will take advantage of the fear, knowing I will hold for a long time. Looking at any 1 year period may show a bad return, but the markets have been very kind to me over the last 20 some years.
LMK5
dajo9 said:

LMK5 said:

dajo9 said:

LMK5 said:

dajo9 said:

LMK5 said:

dajo9 said:

Eat the 1%

Sincerely,
A 2%er

North Bergen was always, and I believe still is, run by Italian-American Democrats. It was always a corruption merry go round. BTW, there are people whose motto is "eat the 2 percenters."
dajo9
LMK5 said:

dajo9 said:

LMK5 said:

dajo9 said:

LMK5 said:

dajo9 said:

LMK5 said:

dajo9 said:

Eat the 1%

Sincerely,
A 2%er

North Bergen was always, and I believe still is, run by Italian-American Democrats. It was always a corruption merry go round. BTW, there are people whose motto is "eat the 2 percenters."

Ha. I'm against those people
He / Him
LMK5
dajo9 said:

LMK5 said:

dajo9 said:

LMK5 said:

dajo9 said:

LMK5 said:

dajo9 said:

LMK5 said:

dajo9 said:

Eat the 1%

Sincerely,
A 2%er

Of course. The 5 percenters hate the 4 percenters; the 4 percenters hate the 3 percenters, and on and on. It's called envy.
dajo9
LMK5 said:

dajo9 said:

LMK5 said:

dajo9 said:

LMK5 said:

dajo9 said:

LMK5 said:

dajo9 said:

LMK5 said:

dajo9 said:

Eat the 1%

Sincerely,
A 2%er

Of course. The 5 percenters hate the 4 percenters; the 4 percenters hate the 3 percenters, and on and on. It's called envy.
Raise my taxes, but don't eat me
He / Him
LMK5
dajo9 said:

LMK5 said:

dajo9 said:

LMK5 said:

dajo9 said:

LMK5 said:

dajo9 said:

LMK5 said:

dajo9 said:

LMK5 said:

dajo9 said:

Eat the 1%

Sincerely,
A 2%er

Not to worry, Biden already promised that.
dajo9
LMK5 said:

dajo9 said:

LMK5 said:

dajo9 said:

LMK5 said:

dajo9 said:

LMK5 said:

dajo9 said:

LMK5 said:

dajo9 said:

LMK5 said:

dajo9 said:

Eat the 1%

Sincerely,
A 2%er

Good. He's got my vote.
He / Him
LMK5
dajo9 said:

LMK5 said:

dajo9 said:

LMK5 said:

dajo9 said:

LMK5 said:

dajo9 said:

LMK5 said:

dajo9 said:

LMK5 said:

dajo9 said:

LMK5 said:

dajo9 said:

Eat the 1%

Sincerely,
A 2%er

Good. He's got my vote.
Promise not to call your accountant and look for loopholes? Promise?
dajo9
LMK5 said:

dajo9 said:

LMK5 said:

dajo9 said:

LMK5 said:

dajo9 said:

LMK5 said:

dajo9 said:

LMK5 said:

dajo9 said:

LMK5 said:

dajo9 said:

LMK5 said:

dajo9 said:

Eat the 1%

Sincerely,
A 2%er

Good. He's got my vote.
Promise not to call your accountant and look for loopholes? Promise?
#1 I don't have an accountant
#2 What's a loophole?
He / Him
Krugman Is A Moron
smh
dajo9 said:

#2 What's a loophole?
it's the furthest outside the box holiness ever pitched to virgins, butt unfit for a sports bbs..
youtube.com/watch?v=7pzs0aGu1fU

moving right along we have this..
muting 301 handles, turnaround is fair play
dajo9
smh said:

dajo9 said:

#2 What's a loophole?
it's the furthest outside the box holiness ever pitched to virgins, butt unfit for a sports bbs..
youtube.com/watch?v=7pzs0aGu1fU

moving right along we have this..

LMK5's accountant must be hot
He / Him
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.