Photo by Twitter / Keleki Latu

Latu Makes it 18 For Cal

August 13, 2020
7,518

The Bears’ recrutiing continues to stay hot with today’s commitment from 6-6/205 2021 Jesuit (Sacramento, CA) High School TE/OLB Keleki Latu‍. The Bears beat out tough competition for Latu’s commitment, including USC, Washington, Oregon, Utah, Nebraska and more.

Latu announced his commitment via Twitter today, saying, “I want to thank my mom for helping me through this process and who is always there when I need her the most. I love you, mom. Thank you to my football and rugby coaches – I couldn’t have become the athlete I am today without you all!

“I want to say thank you to Coach Mike Johnson from Playmakers Elite, who continues to push me to become an even better athlete. Thank you to the coaches that showed love and offered me the opportunity to play for their program throughout this recruiting process. I want to think my friends who have been there for me. Thank you God for all of these blessings.

“This recruiting process was a blessing and one of the most amazing parts of my life. I’m proud to say that I’m a BEAR. 100% committed to the University of California Berkeley!

Rated 3 stars by 247 (83) and Rivals (5.6), Latu also excels on the rugby field, helping his future projections on the gridiron. Latu’s brother Laiatu was also recruited hard by the Bears before committing to Washington and he’s grown into a 6-4/270 pound beast for the Huskies, indicating that his little brother has a lot of room to fill out his 6’4 frame. Latu also excelled at Cal’s summer camp last year, giving a good indication of his high ceiling on the offensive side of the ball, though with his athletic versatility, outside linebacker could be a possibility down the road, depending on how his athletic career progresses.

The Bears are now even with nine commits on both sides of the ball. Latu will join 4 star Kennedy Richmond TE commit Jermaine Terry‍ in a stellar 2021 tight end recruiting class for the Bears.

Other stories:

Bear Insider Video: 4 Star DE Derek Wilkins Talks Cal Commitment

Local De La Salle DB Lu Hearns Commits to Cal

Discussion from...

Latu Makes it 18 For Cal

5,001 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by 91Cal
71Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Giving credit where credit is due...

Latu is graded 84.3 on 247 Composite. That is a shade BETTER than the 83 from 247 Sports cited in the article....
LACalFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Welcome, Keleki!

Musgrave must be pretty pleased with this TE class. Plus size and athleticism!
philbert
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Welcome to Cal! Run over your bro when Cal plays UW and score a bunch of TDs for bragging rights!
Bearly Clad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Welcome to the Bear Family Mr. Latu! A 6'6'' athlete with a Rugby background, insane potential, and he'll be as motivated as anyone to keep this win streak rolling against the huskies. Keleki is gonna tear it up in mad-scientist Musgrave's TE-friendly offense, can't wait to see it.

Congratulations Keleki and Go Bears!
Goobear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Welcome to Cal Keleki. Wishing you nothing but the best of success on and off the field. Go Bears!
upsetof86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Welcome Keleki! An exciting player and position group taking shape, Go Bears!
chazzed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Excellent!

91Cal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Welcome to the family, Keleki! Go Bears!

Love the height! Probably have (at least) another inch to add in the next couple of years!
Bearly Clad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm just gonna leave this here from MB. . .
MoragaBear said:

He played TE at Cal camp and impressed and he's going to get a lot bigger, creating a big mismatch for defenses. He's actually 6'7" now, too.
calumnus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bearly Clad said:

I'm just gonna leave this here from MB. . .
MoragaBear said:

He played TE at Cal camp and impressed and he's going to get a lot bigger, creating a big mismatch for defenses. He's actually 6'7" now, too.



Looking forward to Musgrave using his height on short yardage and red zone plays.
irvinebear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Credit is due where credit is due...

71Bear made a comment that was semi positive towards a new commit instead of his normal 'let's rain on a young mans parade' comment.
01Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Is he 6'6" or 6'4"? Either way, welcome to the young man! I'm looking forward to seeing him develop into a beast in the blue and gold!
71Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
irvinebear said:

Credit is due where credit is due...

71Bear made a comment that was semi positive towards a new commit instead of his normal 'let's rain on a young mans parade' comment.

Actually, I have not made any negative comments about the recruits (nor have I said anything positive). As I have said in the past, I am reluctant to say anything about recruits until they take the field against college competition. There will be busts and there will be guys who surprise everyone with their talent. That is a given so why say anything at this point other than factually reporting known data about them?
bonsallbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
90% of the highlights show him as a defensive end. I'd like to see him catch a few balls.
Welcome to Cal.
irvinebear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
How about just acknowledging an amazing achievement of a young man committing to play major college football at a school he and his family obviously have much affection for? This is an incredible achievement that VERY few people have the privilege of doing and we as a Cal football community should recognize and congratulate that, plain and simple. Be happy for the young man and his family instead of trying to pad your own ego of how you need to point out a correction in the article or make an insensitive comment about who knows what. I know I speak for many, it's annoying and old.

Congrats to Keleki and his family for an amazing achievement and an incredible decision on joining the Cal family!
71Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
irvinebear said:

How about just acknowledging an amazing achievement of a young man committing to play major college football at a school he and his family obviously have much affection for? This is an incredible achievement that VERY few people have the privilege of doing and we as a Cal football community should recognize and congratulate that, plain and simple. Be happy for the young man and his family instead of try to pad your own ego of how you need to point out a correction in the article or make an insensitive comment about who knows what. I know I speak for many, it's annoying and old.

Congrats to Keleki and his family for an amazing achievement and an incredible dcimo to joining the Cal family!
Here you go:

Congrats to all of the young men and women who receive an opportunity to attend Cal and play for their athletic teams.
irvinebear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Atta boy! I guess an old dog can learn new tricks!
NVBear78
How long do you want to ignore this user?
With his reported height of 6' 7" I am reminded of one of the best early tight ends Harbaugh got at Stanford that helped turn their program around...

Welcome to Cal, great 40 year choice and,

Go Bears!
71Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
irvinebear said:

Atta boy! I guess an old dog can learn new tricks!
Now can I go back to critiquing the articles that are poorly edited?
irvinebear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sigh. As long as I can continue to critique your poor attitude. I hope your days are filled with more positivity, 71Bear, or at least with the ability to see the positives.

Sorry for hijacking a commitment thread. Go Bears and go Keleki!
71Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
irvinebear said:

Sigh. As long as I can continue to critique your poor attitude. I hope your days are filled with more positivity, 71Bear, or at least with the ability to see the positives.

Sorry for hijacking a commitment thread. Go Bears and go Keleki!

Absolutely. You are welcome to critique any or all of my posts. The idea behind this site initially was to create a place where fans of Cal sports could gather to exchange comments and observations. It was never meant to be a site where only well-wishing positive comments could be posted. You generally don't learn anything from those with whom you agree, you learn from those who post commentary that runs counter to your thinking. Heck, I have learned a lot from posters like Oaktown and others......

Anyway, visit here more often. Your comments are appreciated......
calumnus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
NVBear78 said:

With his reported height of 6' 7" I am reminded of one of the best early tight ends Harbaugh got at Stanford that helped turn their program around...

Welcome to Cal, great 40 year choice and,

Go Bears!


Levine Toilolo? 6'8" 247 in high school. 6'8" 265 at Stanford.
91Cal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
calumnus said:

NVBear78 said:

With his reported height of 6' 7" I am reminded of one of the best early tight ends Harbaugh got at Stanford that helped turn their program around...

Welcome to Cal, great 40 year choice and,

Go Bears!


Levine Toilolo? 6'8" 247 in high school. 6'8" 265 at Stanford.

That's the one...6'8" 239 were his numbers after his HS senior season

247 Sports

Rivals

if Keleki is now 6'7" and closer to 220 than the listed 205, then the comparison might not be too far off 6 months from now especially in the height. Weight will be tougher to make up with the COVID-19 workout restrictions.

Nice call.

Welcome again, Keleki! Go Bears!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.