Story Poster
Photo by Twitter / Cal Football
Cal Football

Wilcox Addresses Offensive Struggles, Position Moves and More

October 4, 2022
13,535

Coming off the second subpar offensive performance in the last three weeks after their 28-9 loss to Washington State Saturday, it’s clear something is not working on the offensive side of the ball, whether it’s offensive line struggles, quarterbacking, playcalling or something else.

Cal head coach Justin Wilcox was asked today in an abbreviated bye week media session if they might consider using the bye week to introduce some outside voices to the program to help turn things around, whether it be offensive consultants or something else to help jump-start the offense.

“There’s a lot of experience on the offensive staff, different systems, players and schematics and we’re constantly trying to do what’s best for our team and our players,” said Wilcox. “If there was something we could do to be a quick fix in terms of blocking, throwing, catching and running, then yeah, obviously we’d do that. However, we have the know-how. We need to work with our players and coaches and share the responsibility to perform better.

“There’s no excuse. We need to be much better. I think that’s obvious. Are there tweaks? Yeah, absolutely. There are tweaks. But we’re not bringing in eight new people right now. That’s not what’s best for the program.”

The 6th-year head coach knows they're not getting the job done consistently and takes ownership of the missed expectations.

“This is a results-oriented deal we’re in,” said Wilcox. “We have to produce. Coaches -I do- offense, defense, special teams do, the players do. And that’s not undue pressure, that’s just the way that it is. So when we go out and don’t perform to our capability, then there’s gonna be truth being told and it doesn’t always feel good. And it’s not, ‘Hey, it’s okay, just move to the next one.’

“It’s not okay. We can’t accept that. Nobody should. So we talked about that at yesterday’s meeting. I certainly don’t get the feeling that the players are accepting what happened. It happened and we need to learn and grow from it and everybody has a responsibility to be better and be a part of the solution. We’ve got to go out and produce.”

With QB Jack Plummer taking a beating in the fourth quarter of Saturday’s loss, Wilcox was asked if they considered taking the veteran QB earlier than they did before bringing in redshirt frosh backup QB Kai Millner for the last series.

“No, we did not,” said Wilcox. “He came out, he was dinged up and we pulled him out because he was hobbling around a little bit.”

On Plummer’s status for Colorado after the bye, Wilcox noted:

“(He’s) a little bit dinged up but I anticipate him being ready to go after the bye week,” said Wilcox. “We were told it was not a long-term issue.”

In last week’s win over Arizona, soph linebacker Femi Oladejo split time both inside and outside but after the WSU game, it appears OLB is likely to be his future landing spot.

“We think long-term for him, he’s going to be best suited there,” said Wilcox. “We knew even as early as a year ago that it could be a potential landing spot for Femi, just based on his physical development and his size, stature and skill set. So we’re planning on a long-term move. He’s got all the tools to be a very, very good edge player. Doesn’t mean he can’t play inside linebacker but I think in the long run for both he and his future and the team, it’s the best thing.”

The main beneficiary of Oladejo’s move seems to be redshirt soph ILB Mo Iosefa, who got plenty of work on Saturday after being unavailable the first three weeks of the season.

“Last week, Mo got the majority of the reps and Mo has a lot of physical tools to be a good inside linebacker,” said Wilcox. “He still needs to improve. That position -the mike position- needs to get better. We need more production there, both run and pass. What we're looking for is the best combination of guys and when they go in there, they need to earn the right to stay in the game and keep their spot and if we need to add more competition, we will.”

A series of personnel and position moves on the offensive line seemed to pay big dividends in Cal’s big 49-31 win over Arizona last week but vs. WSU, particularly in the second half, the o-line was back to their usual struggles in the loss, giving up four sacks and far too many hurries and QB hits. Might further moves be considered?

“We’re trying to find the best combination of guys who are able to identify the guys they should block then use the proper technique to block them. Obviously, this past week wasn’t nearly good enough in any regard. I believe those guys can play much better and right now, we’re looking at everything, whether it’s positions, techniques, or schemes. Everything’s being assessed right now. Then we’ll have a plan for what’s best moving forward on how to give the guys the best opportunity to go out and play well.”

After the bye week, Cal’s matchup with Colorado in Boulder was announced as a noon kickoff time (11 am pst) where the 3-2/1-1 Bears will look to get back on the winning track against an 0-5 Colorado team in seeming disarray after dismissing head coach Karl Dorrell and his staff after the Buffs fell to Arizona decisively Saturday.

Other stories:

Bears Fall Decisively in the Palouse, 28-9

Bear Insider Ultimate Insider Podcast E39: Cal vs WSU Preview -Video & Transcript

Discussion from...

Wilcox Addresses Offensive Struggles, Position Moves and More

10,610 Views | 93 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Cal Strong!
DiabloWags
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Nothing specific mentioned about play calling and how predictable it has been.
Sigh.

Porsche . . . "There is no substitute."
KoreAmBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just do better. Got it coach. I love Wilcox, but this is year six and he has run things the same way all six seasons. Talkin like late stage Cal Tedford at this point. That's a formula for middling results.

I think the loss to Wazzu wasn't entirely the reason why we are so down. I think after the AZ game we thought maybe we have finally turned the corner under Wilcox. I believe the reason why we are so depressed is that the Wazzu game confirmed that AZ was the outlier and we are not really turning the corner under Wilcox, even though I really am rooting for him.

It's still relatively early, and really my metric for this season was whether he could finally obtain his first winning conference season. We'll have to improve a lot to do as beating Wazzu would have been getting ahead of the sticks. Only CU and Furd look like winnable games unless something different than anything Wilcox has ever done, happens. Still, I'm hoping for the best.
oski003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
.
oski003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
KoreAmBear said:

Just do better. Got it coach. I love Wilcox, but this is year six and he has run things the same way all six seasons. Talkin like late stage Cal Tedford at this point. That's a formula for middling results.

I think the loss to Wazzu wasn't entirely the reason why we are so down. I think after the AZ game we thought maybe we have finally turned the corner under Wilcox. I believe the reason why we are so depressed is that the Wazzu game confirmed that AZ was the outlier and we are not really turning the corner under Wilcox, even though I really am rooting for him.

It's still relatively early, and really my metric for this season was whether he could finally obtain his first winning conference season. We'll have to improve a lot to do as beating Wazzu would have been getting ahead of the sticks. Only CU and Furd look like winnable games unless something different than anything Wilcox has ever done, happens. Still, I'm hoping for the best.


By something different, you mean Not pull off an upset this year. Frankly, we usually upset one team. Therefore, we should end up with 6 wins :P
calumnus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
DiabloWags said:

Nothing specific mentioned about play calling and how predictable it has been.
Sigh.




I did see a hopeful reference to "scheme" but yeah, they are not looking for outside ideas, they are mostly just blaming the players for "failing to execute" his lousy play calls. Musgrave undoubtedly has a lot of "knowledge" of different plays and schemes but it is obvious he does not have a deep understanding of the intention and strategy for using them. It is like someone who has memorized an entire cookbook, knows all the recipes, but then picks a dish to cook at random, it tastes terrible and says, "Well that is because that recipe calls for cabbage and our cabbage is moldy." A great chef figures out what the great ingredients he has are first, then devises a meal around that. It might be out of the cookbook, or it might be improvised based on his creativity and deep understanding of the art of cooking.
PaulCali
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Pure coach speak. Nothing of real interest in the entire interview.
KoreAmBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
calumnus said:

DiabloWags said:

Nothing specific mentioned about play calling and how predictable it has been.
Sigh.




I did see a hopeful reference to "scheme" but yeah, they are not looking for outside ideas, they are mostly just blaming the players for "failing to execute" his lousy play calls. Musgrave undoubtedly has a lot of "knowledge" of different plays and schemes but it is obvious he does not have a deep understanding of the intention and strategy for using them. It is like someone who has memorized an entire cookbook, knows all the recipes, but then picks a dish to cook at random, it tastes terrible and says, "Well that is because that recipe calls for cabbage and our cabbage is moldy." A great chef figures out what the great ingredients he has are first, then devises a meal around that. It might be out of the cookbook, or it might be improvised based on his creativity and deep understanding of the art of cooking.
I knew we were dealing with mold. It is rancid.
PtownBear1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Enlightening as always...
KoreAmBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
oski003 said:

KoreAmBear said:

Just do better. Got it coach. I love Wilcox, but this is year six and he has run things the same way all six seasons. Talkin like late stage Cal Tedford at this point. That's a formula for middling results.

I think the loss to Wazzu wasn't entirely the reason why we are so down. I think after the AZ game we thought maybe we have finally turned the corner under Wilcox. I believe the reason why we are so depressed is that the Wazzu game confirmed that AZ was the outlier and we are not really turning the corner under Wilcox, even though I really am rooting for him.

It's still relatively early, and really my metric for this season was whether he could finally obtain his first winning conference season. We'll have to improve a lot to do as beating Wazzu would have been getting ahead of the sticks. Only CU and Furd look like winnable games unless something different than anything Wilcox has ever done, happens. Still, I'm hoping for the best.


By something different, you mean Not pull off an upset this year. Frankly, we usually upset one team. Therefore, we should end up with 6 wins :P
Just curious what was the upset last year? I suppose Oregon State would be best fit? That was probably our best game, and I hope AZ wasn't our best game this year.

SC was horrible by the time we played them.
KenBurnski
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Lol. the most specific he's ever been in an interview was shooting down the horrifying idea of bringing in an outside voice to help out the O. He could have just done his typical "evaluating everything" but nah.
oski003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
KoreAmBear said:

oski003 said:

KoreAmBear said:

Just do better. Got it coach. I love Wilcox, but this is year six and he has run things the same way all six seasons. Talkin like late stage Cal Tedford at this point. That's a formula for middling results.

I think the loss to Wazzu wasn't entirely the reason why we are so down. I think after the AZ game we thought maybe we have finally turned the corner under Wilcox. I believe the reason why we are so depressed is that the Wazzu game confirmed that AZ was the outlier and we are not really turning the corner under Wilcox, even though I really am rooting for him.

It's still relatively early, and really my metric for this season was whether he could finally obtain his first winning conference season. We'll have to improve a lot to do as beating Wazzu would have been getting ahead of the sticks. Only CU and Furd look like winnable games unless something different than anything Wilcox has ever done, happens. Still, I'm hoping for the best.


By something different, you mean Not pull off an upset this year. Frankly, we usually upset one team. Therefore, we should end up with 6 wins :P
Just curious what was the upset last year? I suppose Oregon State would be best fit? That was probably our best game, and I hope AZ wasn't our best game this year.

SC was horrible by the time we played them.


By WL, yes, the Beavs.
Dgoldnbaer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So repetitive. His soft spoken, low key manner (one of reason's he's a players coach) after 5+ years now of mediocre football is wearing on me. Where's the fire in him?!?! Only time I've seen it is when we won the Axe back in 2019. And everything he said this time was plain & simply the obvious.
calumnus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
oski003 said:

KoreAmBear said:

Just do better. Got it coach. I love Wilcox, but this is year six and he has run things the same way all six seasons. Talkin like late stage Cal Tedford at this point. That's a formula for middling results.

I think the loss to Wazzu wasn't entirely the reason why we are so down. I think after the AZ game we thought maybe we have finally turned the corner under Wilcox. I believe the reason why we are so depressed is that the Wazzu game confirmed that AZ was the outlier and we are not really turning the corner under Wilcox, even though I really am rooting for him.

It's still relatively early, and really my metric for this season was whether he could finally obtain his first winning conference season. We'll have to improve a lot to do as beating Wazzu would have been getting ahead of the sticks. Only CU and Furd look like winnable games unless something different than anything Wilcox has ever done, happens. Still, I'm hoping for the best.


By something different, you mean Not pull off an upset this year. Frankly, we usually upset one team. Therefore, we should end up with 6 wins :P


KAB's metric was "a winning conference season." 6 wins would be 4-5 in conference. To do that we need two upsets in addition to beating Colorado and Stanford.
calumnus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
oski003 said:

KoreAmBear said:

oski003 said:

KoreAmBear said:

Just do better. Got it coach. I love Wilcox, but this is year six and he has run things the same way all six seasons. Talkin like late stage Cal Tedford at this point. That's a formula for middling results.

I think the loss to Wazzu wasn't entirely the reason why we are so down. I think after the AZ game we thought maybe we have finally turned the corner under Wilcox. I believe the reason why we are so depressed is that the Wazzu game confirmed that AZ was the outlier and we are not really turning the corner under Wilcox, even though I really am rooting for him.

It's still relatively early, and really my metric for this season was whether he could finally obtain his first winning conference season. We'll have to improve a lot to do as beating Wazzu would have been getting ahead of the sticks. Only CU and Furd look like winnable games unless something different than anything Wilcox has ever done, happens. Still, I'm hoping for the best.


By something different, you mean Not pull off an upset this year. Frankly, we usually upset one team. Therefore, we should end up with 6 wins :P
Just curious what was the upset last year? I suppose Oregon State would be best fit? That was probably our best game, and I hope AZ wasn't our best game this year.

SC was horrible by the time we played them.


By WL, yes, the Beavs.


Sad when beating OSU is now considered an upset. Jonathan Smith inherited a much worse situation and a year after Wilcox.
Dgoldnbaer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm so old that to me it's sad when we're now an underdog to OSU, WSU & Oregon!
oski003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
calumnus said:

oski003 said:

KoreAmBear said:

oski003 said:

KoreAmBear said:

Just do better. Got it coach. I love Wilcox, but this is year six and he has run things the same way all six seasons. Talkin like late stage Cal Tedford at this point. That's a formula for middling results.

I think the loss to Wazzu wasn't entirely the reason why we are so down. I think after the AZ game we thought maybe we have finally turned the corner under Wilcox. I believe the reason why we are so depressed is that the Wazzu game confirmed that AZ was the outlier and we are not really turning the corner under Wilcox, even though I really am rooting for him.

It's still relatively early, and really my metric for this season was whether he could finally obtain his first winning conference season. We'll have to improve a lot to do as beating Wazzu would have been getting ahead of the sticks. Only CU and Furd look like winnable games unless something different than anything Wilcox has ever done, happens. Still, I'm hoping for the best.


By something different, you mean Not pull off an upset this year. Frankly, we usually upset one team. Therefore, we should end up with 6 wins :P
Just curious what was the upset last year? I suppose Oregon State would be best fit? That was probably our best game, and I hope AZ wasn't our best game this year.

SC was horrible by the time we played them.


By WL, yes, the Beavs.


Sad when beating OSU is now considered an upset. Jonathan Smith inherited a much worse situation and a year after Wilcox.

It is related to the conversation where this thread predicts only 5 wins the rest of the year. History shows we are bound to get 6.
oski003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
calumnus said:

oski003 said:

KoreAmBear said:

Just do better. Got it coach. I love Wilcox, but this is year six and he has run things the same way all six seasons. Talkin like late stage Cal Tedford at this point. That's a formula for middling results.

I think the loss to Wazzu wasn't entirely the reason why we are so down. I think after the AZ game we thought maybe we have finally turned the corner under Wilcox. I believe the reason why we are so depressed is that the Wazzu game confirmed that AZ was the outlier and we are not really turning the corner under Wilcox, even though I really am rooting for him.

It's still relatively early, and really my metric for this season was whether he could finally obtain his first winning conference season. We'll have to improve a lot to do as beating Wazzu would have been getting ahead of the sticks. Only CU and Furd look like winnable games unless something different than anything Wilcox has ever done, happens. Still, I'm hoping for the best.


By something different, you mean Not pull off an upset this year. Frankly, we usually upset one team. Therefore, we should end up with 6 wins :P


KAB's metric was "a winning conference season." 6 wins would be 4-5 in conference. To do that we need two upsets in addition to beating Colorado and Stanford.
His metric was also that only furd and colorado were winnable games. i responded to that.
Big C
How long do you want to ignore this user?

I get the frustration, but it was Wilcox talking to reporters. That's the way he always is. I'm not sure what anyone expected him to say. This is why I appreciate the transcripts: Saves me time and frustration, especially when I can skim over the especially boilerplate answers.

This reminds me tangentially of when people are requesting more specific info on injured players and somebody posts "nobody needs to know that". Okay, that's true. And nobody needs to know -- or more importantly, should even care to know -- the coach-speak tossed out at a press conference. Because coach-speak is pretty much bs, by its very nature.

I care almost zero about what he says to the media. It's all about what the team does in our remaining games. The good news is, in just about every one of his seasons here, things got bleak at some point in the middle of the season (and somebody always posts that "we're going to lose the rest of our games except for ______ ") only to get somewhat better sometime after that.

So that is what I'm hoping for: at least 6-6 and a mediocre bowl game... and it's still quite possible! 7-5 would be swell, at this point. I know, low expectations, but we are where we are right now.

Dgoldnbaer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Usually it's a trade-off. We'll upset someone but we'll also get upset. With this scenario, I anticipate us being favored in just 2 games - Co. And stanfurd. Let's say we beat ucla ... And lose the Big Game. There's the 5-7 season I predicted in July. If we play straight up - ie; NO upsets all season - we'll finish 5-7. Wilcox will then get another extension. SAD. SOOOOOOO bleeping sad. Hearing what Knowlton said after last week's game makes me think Wilcox can do nothing wrong.
KoreAmBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
calumnus said:

oski003 said:

KoreAmBear said:

Just do better. Got it coach. I love Wilcox, but this is year six and he has run things the same way all six seasons. Talkin like late stage Cal Tedford at this point. That's a formula for middling results.

I think the loss to Wazzu wasn't entirely the reason why we are so down. I think after the AZ game we thought maybe we have finally turned the corner under Wilcox. I believe the reason why we are so depressed is that the Wazzu game confirmed that AZ was the outlier and we are not really turning the corner under Wilcox, even though I really am rooting for him.

It's still relatively early, and really my metric for this season was whether he could finally obtain his first winning conference season. We'll have to improve a lot to do as beating Wazzu would have been getting ahead of the sticks. Only CU and Furd look like winnable games unless something different than anything Wilcox has ever done, happens. Still, I'm hoping for the best.


By something different, you mean Not pull off an upset this year. Frankly, we usually upset one team. Therefore, we should end up with 6 wins :P


KAB's metric was "a winning conference season." 6 wins would be 4-5 in conference. To do that we need two upsets in addition to beating Colorado and Stanford.
That would I suppose flip the script for me, but barely. 5-4 in conference and 7-5 overall. Same kind of bowl that we usually are in line for. The winning conference record is important to me as progress.
Econ141
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Coach interviews are meaningless - we should just do away with them given that any fan who has watched football for a few years could answer all these questions in a similar manner.

It's clear that Wilcox doesn't think he needs outside help - so he is owning the debacle that is going to take place in the second half of the season.

Accountability? He can say he will take it all he wants....the fact is, Knowlton has gauranteed him additional years to do nothing about this offense.
Grrrrah76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It still seems to come back to our line play on both sides. We haven't had a solid, consistent offensive lines for years and our defense lacks pressure on the opposing quarterbacks. I know injuries, transfers, and forced retirement have played a large role (several starters on both sides), but other schools find a way to fill the gaps. This is something that can't be fixed mid-season, but clearly needs to be addressed for 2023.
Golden One
How long do you want to ignore this user?
KoreAmBear said:

Just do better. Got it coach. I love Wilcox, but this is year six and he has run things the same way all six seasons. Talkin like late stage Cal Tedford at this point. That's a formula for middling results.

I think the loss to Wazzu wasn't entirely the reason why we are so down. I think after the AZ game we thought maybe we have finally turned the corner under Wilcox. I believe the reason why we are so depressed is that the Wazzu game confirmed that AZ was the outlier and we are not really turning the corner under Wilcox, even though I really am rooting for him.

It's still relatively early, and really my metric for this season was whether he could finally obtain his first winning conference season. We'll have to improve a lot to do as beating Wazzu would have been getting ahead of the sticks. Only CU and Furd look like winnable games unless something different than anything Wilcox has ever done, happens. Still, I'm hoping for the best.
Wilcox just doesn't seem to have a clue about what needs to be done. Just saying that everyone needs to do better is not an answer. The answer is for him to resign.
HateRed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I wonder what keeps Wilcox from bringing in outside voices? Is it he doesn't want to hurt his coaches confidence? Fear that it might show how wrong he's been? It's clear something has to be done and soon. I'm going to travel to the udub game. I hope it's a win for us CAL lovers.
DiabloWags
How long do you want to ignore this user?
KenBurnski said:

Lol. the most specific he's ever been in an interview was shooting down the horrifying idea of bringing in an outside voice to help out the O. He could have just done his typical "evaluating everything" but nah.
Yup.
It was the only area where he was most SPECIFIC.
Porsche . . . "There is no substitute."
KoreAmBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
HateRed said:

I wonder what keeps Wilcox from bringing in outside voices? Is it he doesn't want to hurt his coaches confidence? Fear that it might show how wrong he's been? It's clear something has to be done and soon. I'm going to travel to the udub game. I hope it's a win for us CAL lovers.
I mean it's not realistic or practical to bring in new chefs to the kitchen almost half way into the season. However, will we try anything really different with the existing coaches?
HearstMining
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wilcox saying, "This is a results business. We have to produce", is a little disingenuous. He has a contract until 2027 or whenever and knows that Cal can't afford to fire him. I'm not at the point where I think he should be fired, but I now I REALLY regret the last extension he was given.
calumnus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
KoreAmBear said:

calumnus said:

oski003 said:

KoreAmBear said:

Just do better. Got it coach. I love Wilcox, but this is year six and he has run things the same way all six seasons. Talkin like late stage Cal Tedford at this point. That's a formula for middling results.

I think the loss to Wazzu wasn't entirely the reason why we are so down. I think after the AZ game we thought maybe we have finally turned the corner under Wilcox. I believe the reason why we are so depressed is that the Wazzu game confirmed that AZ was the outlier and we are not really turning the corner under Wilcox, even though I really am rooting for him.

It's still relatively early, and really my metric for this season was whether he could finally obtain his first winning conference season. We'll have to improve a lot to do as beating Wazzu would have been getting ahead of the sticks. Only CU and Furd look like winnable games unless something different than anything Wilcox has ever done, happens. Still, I'm hoping for the best.


By something different, you mean Not pull off an upset this year. Frankly, we usually upset one team. Therefore, we should end up with 6 wins :P


KAB's metric was "a winning conference season." 6 wins would be 4-5 in conference. To do that we need two upsets in addition to beating Colorado and Stanford.
That would I suppose flip the script for me, but barely. 5-4 in conference and 7-5 overall. Same kind of bowl that we usually are in line for. The winning conference record is important to me as progress.


It would mean we beat Colorado and Stanford in Big Game, plus assuming OSU is one of the wins, at least one ranked team among UW, Oregon, UCLA and USC.

If we did that I would still be upset about the missed opportunities against Notre Dame and WSU due to Musgrave again taking half a season to figure out what he should be doing. I would still want Musgrave gone, but I'd feel better about the future under Wilcox (unless he brought Musgrave back for a 4th season).
calumnus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
HearstMining said:

Wilcox saying, "This is a results business. We have to produce", is a little disingenuous. He has a contract until 2027 or whenever and knows that Cal can't afford to fire him. I'm not at the point where I think he should be fired, but I now I REALLY regret the last extension he was given.


As I said at the time, his reportedly turning down Oregon's highly conditional offer was not a reason to give him a raise and extension. That was just incompetence and gross financial malfeasance on Knowlton's part. He could have easily waited to see how this season unfolded before deciding whether to extend.

I mean, ADs thst are willing to fire much higher performing coaches mid-season is maybe too far of an extreme in the other direction, but that is more the norm and who Knowlton is up against in the dog-eat-dog world of big time college sports.
calumnus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
KoreAmBear said:

HateRed said:

I wonder what keeps Wilcox from bringing in outside voices? Is it he doesn't want to hurt his coaches confidence? Fear that it might show how wrong he's been? It's clear something has to be done and soon. I'm going to travel to the udub game. I hope it's a win for us CAL lovers.
I mean it's not realistic or practical to bring in new chefs to the kitchen almost half way into the season. However, will we try anything really different with the existing coaches?


I honestly would love to see Pawlawski brought down from the booth as OC immediately, during the bye week. He knows the playbook, he knows the team and position coaches, the players and coaches know him. More importantly, he knows what we should be doing and is often as perplexed (expressed diplomatically) by Musgrave as we are. He played in a run oriented system under Snyder featuring Russell White. Finally, he would bring an energy and passion, especially for Cal football, clearly lacking in all these low-key coaches from rural Oregon and Washington. I am sure he would improve our recruiting.

I am serious about this.
oski003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Who are the best OC candidates?
CaliforniaEternal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Translation: Me and my coaching staff have no clue what we're doing. We just got pummeled by a team with a new coach and we have no chance to finish this season with a winning conference record. Luckily, I work for the most inept administration in FBS so all I have to do is talk about what a great experience the student athletes are having and they're happy. What a great life I have!
Cal Strong!
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cal Strong wishes that one of the BI or other reporters would ask Wilcox:

"Coach, you have been here for six years. You have recruited every single player on the roster. And you haven't had a winning conference record, and overall you have a sub-.500 record. We all love you. But at this point, what is the plan to get us to the Rose Bowl? Are you the man to do this? And realistically, do you think you can do this in the next five years?"
DiabloWags
How long do you want to ignore this user?
"We need to run faster. We need to jump higher. We need to block better, tackle better, and BE BETTER."

That is all.
Porsche . . . "There is no substitute."
bearsandgiants
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The question about consultants was just dumb and doesn't really even necessitate a response. But I was more upset about the tone of this. It's as if Wilcox thinks if we didn't trip over our lineman's foot in that one play, we'd have won. He's really going to blame execution? Blame the players at all? This staff is a bunch of nice guys who don't know **** about football. I want a coaching staff that makes me say "I never would have thought of that," if you can't do that, you don't belong at this level.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.