Story Poster
Photo by calbears.com
Cal Basketball

Short-Handed Bears Edged By Eastern Washington

December 7, 2022
2,526

BERKELEY – Lars Thiemann scored 16 points and Kuany Kuany added 10 as a short-handed California squad was defeated by Eastern Washington, 50-48, on Wednesday night at Haas Pavilion.

The Golden Bears (0-10) were without leading scorer Devin Askew, who averages 18.3 points per game, and freshman big man ND Okafor due to health and safety protocols. An already injury-riddled team, Cal had just eight scholarship players active for Wednesday’s contest.

Tyreese Davis scored 14 points and Casey Jones had 10 points and a career-high 14 rebounds for the Eagles, who moved to 4-5 overall with their first road victory of the season and just their fifth win against a Pac-12 opponent in school history. Eastern Washington never trailed.

Cal trailed by 45-36 before a 7-0 run – keyed by back-to-back buckets from Thiemann – brought it back within two at the 3:09 mark. Joel Brown pulled the Bears within a one-point deficit with 1:05 remaining and eventually tied the game at 48 by making 1-of-2 attempts at the free throw line with 33 seconds on the clock. It was EWU’s Davis who scored the go-ahead basket with 24 seconds left. After a missed free throw by the Eagles, Brown missed a potential winning 3-pointer at the buzzer.

After posting a 27-20 halftime lead, Cedric Coward buried a 3-pointer with 16:22 remaining and Eastern Washington built its biggest lead at 34-22.

Angelo Allegri added 11 points for Eastern Washington. Steele Venters, the Eagles' leading scorer, fouled out after scoring four points.

Brown finished with eight points, eight rebounds, five assists and two steals.

UP NEXT

Cal hosts Butler at 2 p.m. PST Saturday, Dec. 10 in Haas Pavilion. The first all-time meeting between the two programs will be televised on the Pac-12 Network.

 

Discussion from...

Short-Handed Bears Edged By Eastern Washington

2,314 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by TomBear
eastcoastcal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

An already injury-riddled team, Cal had just eight scholarship players active for Wednesday's contest.
Y'all are too much LOL. I almost respect this feeble attempt
dimitrig
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Wow. Just.... wow!

Speechless.

oskidunker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If the band is not planning on being there most of my friends say they are not going. Can someone find out? The oppressive canned music is played at every time out when the band is not there. Its bad enough thst the team is unwatchable but when the band decides they wont make the effort, why go? Its a shame that 14 song girls some how found a way to get there but the band could not find a few players willing to put themselves out. When ai was in the Straw Hat Band it was a privilege not everyone got. Those that were selected were given the schedule and had to make a commitment to be there. Some that lived out of the area and said they could not make every game were not selected. But then James Berdahl had more control over the band.
Go Bears!
HoopDreams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I think they go most games, but finals starting might have been part of the issue

They were greatly missed

oskidunker said:

If the band is not planning on being there most of my friends say they are not going. Can someone find out? The oppressive canned music is played at every time out when the band is not there. Its bad enough thst the team is unwatchable but when the band decides they wont make the effort, why go? Its a shame that 14 song girls some how found a way to get there but the band could not find a few players willing to put themselves out. When ai was in the Straw Hat Band it was a privilege not everyone got. Those that were selected were given the schedule and had to make a commitment to be there. Some that lived out of the area and said they could not make every game were not selected. But then James Berdahl had more control over the band.
oskidunker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have seen the band at onlynone game this year, but I missed the K State game.
Go Bears!
calumnus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
eastcoastcal said:

Quote:

An already injury-riddled team, Cal had just eight scholarship players active for Wednesday's contest.
Y'all are too much LOL. I almost respect this feeble attempt


Surprised it wasn't "Short-handed Bears, decimated by injuries, a third year of COVID, 110 years of not having a dedicated practice facility and having to play a game the week before finals at the most academically rigorous university in the world, only a block from Telegraph Avenue and only 4 years removed from Wyking Jones with Fox only now finally having a roster of his guys"
eastcoastcal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
calumnus said:

eastcoastcal said:

Quote:

An already injury-riddled team, Cal had just eight scholarship players active for Wednesday's contest.
Y'all are too much LOL. I almost respect this feeble attempt


Surprised it wasn't "Short-handed Bears, decimated by injuries, a third year of COVID, 110 years of not having a dedicated practice facility and having to play a game the week before finals at the most academically rigorous university in the world, only a block from Telegraph Avenue and only 4 years removed from Wyking Jones with Fox only now finally having a roster of his guys"
"with the threat of fiscal mismanagement from stadium renovation debt as well as lingering fears from the tree-sitters hovering over the Bears"
stu
How long do you want to ignore this user?
eastcoastcal said:

"with the threat of fiscal mismanagement from stadium renovation debt as well as lingering fears from the tree-sitters hovering over the Bears"
Literally. One could fall on you.
TomBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Oskidunker, I'm not sure about this but I THINK there was some sort of band function that evening. An alumni band invitation was extended, but no one signed up.

This is not the same Cal Band that Pete Newell cited for being at every game, home and away, and for carrying the Cal Spirit far and wide.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.