Story Poster
Photo by Twitter / Ben Finley
Cal Football

Bears Add Portal Commit #2 in Former NC State QB Ben Finley

April 26, 2023
8,257

The Bears added their second portal transfer of the spring with the commitment of redshirt North Carolina State QB Ben Finley‍. Finley is currently rated the #4 QB in the transfer portal by On3.com, right behind Notre Dame QB Tyler Buchner.

“I’m really excited for the opportunity to play for Coach Spavital and Coach Wilcox,” Finley said. “I met some of the players on my visit and it was exactly what I was looking for. I’m really excited to join the guys in the QB room and compete this summer with them.”

The 6-3/205 QB signed with NC State out of Paradise Valley High School in Phoenix, Arizona in 2020 after completing 123-of-198 passes for 2,119 yards and 21 touchdowns and was team captain for his Paradise Valley squad before signing with NC State over Arizona, ASU, Iowa State and Colorado State as a 3 star recruit. Finley was the 28th rated pro-style QB in the 2020 coach by 247 Sports.

“You guys got a great one!,” said Paradise Valley coach Jeff Davis. “Ben not only can make every throw on the field, but he is a great leader as well. He is a high-energy guy that wants to better his teammates around him. He is a team-first guy that loves to compete at everything he does. Very intelligent on the field and a great community member off of it.”

At NC State, Finley was an early enrollee in the spring of 2020, allowing him to graduate this spring and transfer as a grad transfer to Cal.

As a frosh in 2020, Finley saw 33 snaps and completed 13-20 including a TD. In 2021, Finley retained his redshirt year, playing in three games. In 2022 as a redshirt frosh, Finley struggled in his first start in a loss to Louisville but came up big in their rivalry game victory over UNC, completing 27-of-40 for 271 yards and 2 TDs with no interceptions.

FInley’s commitment brings the Bears up to three scholarship QBs on the roster, with three preferred walk-ons as well.

Stay tuned for more on Finley’s commitment as available.

Related:

Bears Add Their 2nd 2024 Commit in Texas OL Tyler Knape

McMorris Keeps it in the Family WIth Transfer to Cal

Discussion from...

Bears Add Portal Commit #2 in Former NC State QB Ben Finley

7,155 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by calumnus
Big C
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Welcome to the Cal Family, Ben! Go Bears!!!
Bearly Clad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
He's a grad-transfer with 3 years of eligibility remaining? That's what I read in another article, maybe they got it wrong but if that's true it's wild to me. Not that I'm complaining, it's just a strange thing to wrap my head around.

Regardless welcome to the University of California! Happy to have you and your family joining the blue and gold!
MoragaBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Bearly Clad said:

He's a grad-transfer with 3 years of eligibility remaining? That's what I read in another article, maybe they got it wrong but if that's true it's wild to me. Not that I'm complaining, it's just a strange thing to wrap my head around.

Regardless welcome to the University of California! Happy to have you and your family joining the blue and gold!
He came in as an early entry in 2020 so he'll graduate in 3 1/2 years. Probably came in with AP units and might've taken a couple summer classes his freshman year with the rest of his 2020 class. 2020 didn't count. He only played in 3 games in 2021 so that was his redshirt year and 2022 was his redshirt frosh year.
91Cal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Welcome to the family, Ben and family! Go Bears!
calumnus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
MoragaBear said:

Bearly Clad said:

He's a grad-transfer with 3 years of eligibility remaining? That's what I read in another article, maybe they got it wrong but if that's true it's wild to me. Not that I'm complaining, it's just a strange thing to wrap my head around.

Regardless welcome to the University of California! Happy to have you and your family joining the blue and gold!
He came in as an early entry in 2020 so he'll graduate in 3 1/2 years. Probably came in with AP units and might've taken a couple summer classes his freshman year with the rest of his 2020 class. 2020 didn't count. He only played in 3 games in 2021 so that was his redshirt year and 2022 was his redshirt frosh year.


Yep, early entry, redshirt year, extra year for COVID, plus in addition to summer school that first year he might have stayed in North Carolina subsequent summers to take classes and work out with teammates (throwing to WRs) which he couldn't do back home in Arizona.
Econ141
How long do you want to ignore this user?
***



bearsandgiants
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Econ141 said:

***






This is good news for all involved, it seems. We are never going to accumulate depth. Cal is like other secondary teams that can use NIL to guarantee starting roles, and will either have a good season as a result, or a devastating one due to injury. We should invest some of our NIL money in natural turf.
calumnus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bearsandgiants said:

Econ141 said:

***






This is good news for all involved, it seems. We are never going to accumulate depth. Cal is like other secondary teams that can use NIL to guarantee starting roles, and will either have a good season as a result, or a devastating one due to injury. We should invest some of our NIL money in natural turf.


Coming out of Spring he was #2 on the depth chart at left tackle as a redshirt freshman. I wish him well, but there is no doubt it is a loss for us. There is no way to spin it otherwise, even if he was only going to provide depth. We need depth at OL. Plus, no way to know how he would develop over the next three years. Hopefully we bring in someone better, but hopefully we were hoping to do that AND keep him.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.