Story Poster
Cal Football

Bears Have Their QB for 2022 in Martin

January 18, 2021

Continuing their stellar early start to the 2022 recruiting class, the Bears secured a commitment from 6-4/210 4 star Inglewood High School quarterback Justyn Martin‍ today.

“The environment, the school itself, the people who go there, obviously the football program -everything about it was just perfect for me,” said Martin. “I really like Coach Musgrave’s system and his experience in the league (NFL) and in college. That was really big for me. It’s a dream for a quarterback. 

“Those are the main things that sealed it for Cal.”

Martin announced his commitment via Twitter today, saying:

“I would like to thank God for all the opportunities he has presented me in my life. Thank you to my family and friends for supporting me on this long journey. Thank you to my coaches at Inglewood High School who have helped build me into the player and person that I have become today. 

“I would like to thank my quarterback coach Sam Fisher, strength coach Rene Estrada and the Premium Sports organization for welcoming me with open arms and pushing me to be the best student athlete I can be. 

“Thank you to all the coaches who have recruited me and believed in me. 

“With that being said, I am 100% committed to the University of California Berkeley.

“Committed. #GoBears.”

The Bears jumped to the forefront of Martin’s recruitment after their Christmas season offer last month. Following the offer, the Bears stepped up their communication efforts with Martin, including a virtual visit Zoom meeting that really caught his eye.

“This one’s a big one to me,” said Martin after the offer. “This one’s really big. 

“For one, Cal’s a California school and I’ve lived in California my whole life. And after going on a virtual visit with Cal, I just felt at home and just loved it.

“They showed me the campus, the stadium, the locker room, the High Performance Center, the dorms, the team hotel, the business school -they showed a lot.

“When I saw the campus, I intstantly fell in love. It’s beautiful.”

“Justyns a great kid. Very smart and confident,” said Premium Sports LA OC Malik James. 

“He has a lot of tools to become a elite guy. He's big, fast and strong. He's packed on some weight and is only getting better and growing. 

“What's so special about Justyn is that he's been playing basketball and football his whole life. He's never given football a full year. He's done it this year and has made major strides. 

“He can become Cal’s Jayden Daniels. I'm excited about him.”

Martin’s next task is recruiting several SoCal players he’s targeting to join him at Cal, three with Cal offers currently, including St. John Bosco DE Nate Burrell‍, Lawndale safety Dionte Thornton‍, Inglewood athlete Clint Stephens‍ and Harvard Westlake WR Jason Thompson.

After playing his first two seasons at Serra (Gardena, CA) High School, Martin transferred to Inglewood to play closer to home.

Rated 4 stars (90) and the number 8 pro style QB by 247, Martin also sports offers from USC, Oregon, Oregon State, ASU, Colorado, Nebraska, Michigan State and more. Martin is also rated 4 stars (81) and the number 11 QB in the nation by ESPN and 4 stars (5.8) by Rivals and the number 16 pro style QB in the nation.

Other stories:

Williams Talks About Commitment to Cal

Brian Johnson Named Head Football Athletic Performance Coach

Discussion from...

Bears Have Their QB for 2022 in Martin

16,578 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by calumnus
Bearly Clad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Welcome to the Bear Family, Mr. Martin!

This guy has insane arm talent and a freaking cannon attached to his shoulder. He'll be casually launching 60 yard bombs at CMS before too long.

Can't hurt to have a unanimous 4* QB (by 24/7, ESPN, and Rivals) on board this early in the cycle too, the ceiling on this recruiting class is unreal
GoBears89
Wow, great get!! The kid has some real zip on his throws!

Welcome to the Cal family, Justyn!!
philbert
Welcome to the Bear Fam, Justyn!

QB depth chart is looking great!
wifeisafurd
Wow this kid is athletic and talented.
FireFighterBest
Unbelievable! Looking forward to seeing him at Memorial!
Goobear
Welcome to Cal Football Justyn. Wishing you nothing but the most of success on and off the field.

Go Bears!
89Bear
This is absolutely awesome!!!!
Can't wait to have him out there recruiting...
chazzed
Welcome, young man. May you find success on the gridiron and in the classroom.

Go Bears!
heartofthebear
I can't remember the last time we had one 4 star recruit committed more than 1 year in advance. Nor do I think we have had 2 overall commits this early. Anyway, welcome Justyn
Bearly Clad
Last class Mavin Anderson was our earliest commit on February 1st. It's been a long year though so I think that should count as extra.

I honestly don't always trust those really early commits when there's so much that can change in a couple years. Remember when teams were one-upping each other by offering younger and younger QBs and then the trojans offered like a 13 year old kid?
rkt88edmo
You've made a fantastic choice. California ber Alles!
BearGoggles
Welcome to Cal Justyn Martin! Seems like a perfect fit both on and off the football field. Looking forward to following his continued success!
NYCGOBEARS
This is exciting!
burritos
Booya! 70 yards. That seems far.
stanfurdbites
Holy smokes that arm is a bazooka ... and he's only 16 right now?!
calumnus
Fantastic! Great arm! Big infusion of 4 star talent on offense in 2021 and 2022. Hopefully Martin's early commitment brings in more.
BearinOC
Wow, this kid looks great! He has the size, arm strength and looks accurate. Good get!
Eastern Oregon Bear
I'm kind of disappointed he didn't put one on the freeway. Great looking tape though.
smh
Daily Cal plays catchup with Moraga's Insider scoop..
> Title: Cal reels in commitment from 4-star quarterback Justyn Martin
https://www.dailycal.org/2021/01/18/cal-reels-in-commitment-from-4-star-quarterback-justyn-martin
> BY SHAILIN SINGH | SENIOR STAFF LAST UPDATED 2 HOURS AGO
Quote:

Cal football is off to a hot start in 2021 thanks to the class of 2022.

Consensus 4-star quarterback Justyn Martin made his commitment to the Bears on Monday, giving the blue and gold their second addition to the 2022 recruiting class. Martin the No. 8 pro-style quarterback in the nation, according to 247 Sports joins defensive tackle Damonic Williams.

The 6'4", 185 pound quarterback, a star for Inglewood High School in Southern California, is touted for his arm-strength, but has recently developed his pocket mobility and accuracy while throwing on the run. Cal offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave emphasized play action and bootleg plays in 2020, both of which require quarterbacks who are comfortable with making plays outside the pocket.

Martin reportedly narrowed down his offer sheet which included the likes of USC, Oregon and Nebraska to Cal, Arizona State and Oregon State. Martin visited Cal's campus last week in a trip that seemingly cemented his decision a decision that seemed to be around the corner for a few weeks now.

The junior told 247 Sports that he hopes to help build out Cal's 2022 recruiting class, especially on the offensive side, where the Bears will be aiming to add quality playmakers around him. Until then, Martin will have a chance to improve his recruiting rankings even further, should Inglewood resume football this fall.
heartofthebear
Bearly Clad said:

Last class Mavin Anderson was our earliest commit on February 1st. It's been a long year though so I think that should count as extra.

I honestly don't always trust those really early commits when there's so much that can change in a couple years. Remember when teams were one-upping each other by offering younger and younger QBs and then the trojans offered like a 13 year old kid?
Technically it's really 2 4 stars in January of the year prior. Mr. Williams is bound to be a 4 star by the time he signs.

I hear your concerns about early signers but we haven't really had that problem so much with offensive players since Baldwin left. And the defensive players seem to stay as well since Wilcox got here.
MoragaBear
Staff
Williams is 4 stars on 247 and ESPN. The only reason he's not a 247 composite 4 star is because ESPN hasn't assigned a number grade yet with the 4 star rating.
burritos
Any acknowledgement by QB recruits that Goff and ARod both hail from Cal and that Oregon, SC, furd and UW have zero starters?
71Bear
MoragaBear said:

Williams is 4 stars on 247 and ESPN. The only reason he's not a 247 composite 4 star is because ESPN hasn't assigned a number grade yet with the 4 star rating.
He is listed as a 4 star by 247 composite.
MoragaBear
Staff
71Bear said:

MoragaBear said:

If ESPN attached a numerical rating to his 4 stars, he would be but he's not at this point.

71Bear
MoragaBear said:

71Bear said:

MoragaBear said:

If ESPN attached a numerical rating to his 4 stars, he would be but he's not at this point.

Guilty as charged. Since the original post referenced Martin, I made the fatal error of "failure to read". I assumed the post was in reference to him.
OceanBeachBear
Love the pickup - I think his physical gifts fit really well in the future QB room. Yes, he is relatively raw, but who isn't in their sophomore year. But with Casey/Millner/Brasch/Johnson in the QB room, I think we have plenty of more polished (high-floor lower-ceiling) players. Any QB signee would be risky in this class, so why not swing for the fences.
GBMARIN
Who is the big downfield receiver. Cal could do worse.
71Bear
Unit3IdaSproul said:

Love the pickup - I think his physical gifts fit really well in the future QB room. Yes, he is relatively raw, but who isn't in their sophomore year. But with Casey/Millner/Brasch/Johnson in the QB room, I think we have plenty of more polished (high-floor lower-ceiling) players. Any QB signee would be risky in this class, so why not swing for the fences.
Now you know why the number of QB transfers is so significant in P5 football. Who knows how this will play out but I do like the idea of creating a lot of competition. May the best man win and lead Cal forward......
dimitrig

The kid has a cannon with a quick release. He's tall and can see downfield well. He is still working on his progressions but he's young. He shows lots of athleticism as well when the pocket breaks down.

Inglewood doesn't play against the TOP schools so the competition is not quite top tier although be played for Serra previously. He transferred because he was behind 5 star Maalik Murphy on the depth chart. Murphy already has offers from Alabama, Florida, Florida Atlantic, Florida State, Georgia, Indiana, Kansas, LSU, Michigan, Ohio State, Oregon, Oregon State, Texas, UCLA, and USC.

During his sophomore year at Serra, he took honors classes. Martin mentioned how the classes prepared him "for higher level situations in life." His favorite class was a biomedical science class.

"You learn about how diabetes works, how certain diseases work, what they do to the body, how the body responds to it and why," Martin said. "I never learned that much about basically life in general and how things work."

Martin knows what it takes to lead a team and is ready to lead by example and be a positive influence on his teammates. Being a good person and making responsible decisions are his priority.

"I always push myself to be the best," Martin said. "I like to bring everybody on the right path and always do the right thing."

Martin also excelled in his schoolwork during the quarantine.

"School was real good," he said. "I had all A's, so everything just went as planned."

Over the summer, Martin took a Spanish class at El Camino College and plans to take a history class there.

He sounds like exactly the type of person I might want representing Cal! I forgive the Ducks jersey!

Welcome!

(Source: https://lasentinel.net/student-athlete-of-the-week-justyn-martin.html )

calumnus
dimitrig said:

The kid has a cannon with a quick release. He's tall and can see downfield well. He is still working on his progressions but he's young. He shows lots of athleticism as well when the pocket breaks down.

Inglewood doesn't play against the TOP schools so the competition is not quite top tier although be played for Serra previously. He transferred because he was behind 5 star Maalik Murphy on the depth chart. Murphy already has offers from Alabama, Florida, Florida Atlantic, Florida State, Georgia, Indiana, Kansas, LSU, Michigan, Ohio State, Oregon, Oregon State, Texas, UCLA, and USC.

During his sophomore year at Serra, he took honors classes. Martin mentioned how the classes prepared him "for higher level situations in life." His favorite class was a biomedical science class.

"You learn about how diabetes works, how certain diseases work, what they do to the body, how the body responds to it and why," Martin said. "I never learned that much about basically life in general and how things work."

Martin knows what it takes to lead a team and is ready to lead by example and be a positive influence on his teammates. Being a good person and making responsible decisions are his priority.

"I always push myself to be the best," Martin said. "I like to bring everybody on the right path and always do the right thing."

Martin also excelled in his schoolwork during the quarantine.

"School was real good," he said. "I had all A's, so everything just went as planned."

Over the summer, Martin took a Spanish class at El Camino College and plans to take a history class there.

He sounds like exactly the type of person I might want representing Cal! I forgive the Ducks jersey!

Welcome!

(Source: https://lasentinel.net/student-athlete-of-the-week-justyn-martin.html )

Wow, great info Dimitri! Agree, perfect Cal recruit.
Go Bears!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.