Larry Scott OUT!

9,472 Views | 98 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AunBear89
calbears4ever
How long do you want to ignore this user?
people are more likely to watch women's sports if they get more air time. Giving equal coverage to both is a good start
NVBear78
calbears4ever said:

The new commissioner must be committed to ending gender disparities in college sports and give women's teams more air time. Not doing so is sexist, and we have to fight to end it in all forms

That is a recipe for economic disaster.
socaliganbear
calbears4ever said:

The new commissioner must be committed to ending gender disparities in college sports and give women's teams more air time. Not doing so is sexist, and we have to fight to end it in all forms

If you care about having a well funded women's side, this is the last thing you'd want. The SEC understands this and that's why their woman's programs are so well funded and have quickly caught up to the PAC.
sycasey
calbears4ever said:

people are more likely to watch women's sports if they get more air time. Giving equal coverage to both is a good start
While ideally it would be great if men's and women's sports were able to draw the same audience, at some point ideals have to meet reality, and the fact is that men's college football and basketball far outstrip all other sports in terms of interest and revenue generation. If the Pac-12 tries to force interest they will fall behind the other conferences.

This isn't like women's pro tennis, which demonstrably does draw a similar audience to the men's game, and thus when the women were paid less it was legitimately unfair. The other college sports just can't demonstrate the same pull. That doesn't mean the university shouldn't provide them as opportunities for students, but it does mean that you use the popular sports to help subsidize the others.
calbears4ever
In many cases, women's teams can be better than men's teams. In pro sports, the us women's soccer team is an excellent example. The men's team has not been successful at the World Cup in recent years, and did not qualify for the 2018 competition while the women's team has won two world cups in the last decade (2015 and '19). The viewership for the women's World Cup was the highest in tournament history in 2019, with the title match being the highest viewed of all. In terms of cal, volleyball seems to be on the rise though they were one spot shy of missing the tourney last season and are not doing well this season without their star Mima Mirkovic. The men's basketball team on the other hand has not made the tournament since the days of Justin Cobbs, and is still struggling even now despite recent coaching changes. Volleyball is the strength of the pac 12 (and big 10), while the SEC is a football powerhouse and will continue to be so for years to come
Alkiadt
calbears4ever said:

In many cases, women's teams can be better than men's teams. In pro sports, the us women's soccer team is an excellent example. The men's team has not been successful at the World Cup in recent years, and did not qualify for the 2018 competition while the women's team has won two world cups in the last decade (2015 and '19). The viewership for the women's World Cup was the highest in tournament history in 2019, with the title match being the highest viewed of all. In terms of cal, volleyball seems to be on the rise though they were one spot shy of missing the tourney last season and are not doing well this season without their star Mima Mirkovic. The men's basketball team on the other hand has not made the tournament since the days of Justin Cobbs, and is still struggling even now despite recent coaching changes. Volleyball is the strength of the pac 12 (and big 10), while the SEC is a football powerhouse and will continue to be so for years to come
Speaking of Basketball, how's Cal's women's team doing?
calbears4ever
Poorly. They're winless right now. Their top 3 point shooter Jazlen Green is out for the season with injury, as is first-year guard Alma Elsnitz and sophomore combo guard Cailyn Crocker. They cancelled two recent games due to too many players injured after the game vs Colorado.
sycasey
calbears4ever said:

I'd bet you that even if some of these women's teams are more successful in their given leagues, football and basketball still easily lead all other Pac-12 sports in viewership and revenue. Same with the women's national team versus the men's (actually I know it's a fact that the men's team makes more money despite their mediocre performance). Unfortunately that's the hard truth.
wifeisafurd
sycasey said:

calbears4ever said:

I'd bet you that even if some of these women's teams are more successful in their given leagues, football and basketball still easily lead all other Pac-12 sports in viewership and revenue. Same with the women's national team versus the men's (actually I know it's a fact that the men's team makes more money despite their mediocre performance). Unfortunately that's the hard truth.
The Pac has been a top (if not the top) women's basketball conference the last few years. It has not made a huge difference in the economics, despite women's basketball being the lead sport from a financial standpoint for women. The SEC model is to make ton of money from football, make what they can from men's basketball, and have very few other, albeit well funded, "non-revenue" sports. on campus. This simply is not where the Pac is at this moment as most schools have way more teams than their SEC counterparts. IMO, this puts women sports and male non-revenue" sports in the Pac at a disadvantage. Right now, football drives the bus. Period. Tennis Larry never really got that.
calbears4ever
When you have no pac 12 football teams making the CFP, that means that football is not the strong source despite the money it carries. The pac 12's strengths are volleyball and women's basketball (if you count Oregon and Stanford). For women's sports, basketball generates the most revenue, followed by volleyball. End of story
wifeisafurd
calbears4ever said:

When you have no pac 12 football teams making the CFP, that means that football is not the strong source despite the money it carries. The pac 12's strengths are volleyball and women's basketball (if you count Oregon and Stanford). For women's sports, basketball generates the most revenue, followed by volleyball. End of story
women's basketball is the biggest money loser program at most Pac schools. End of story.

Other than Arizona basketball, football is the only sport producing any form of surplus consistently among Pac schools. End of story. Keep losing football revenues, women's basketball budgets will crater. As it is, many women's basketball Pac schools, including Cal, don't even use their full allotment of scholies. End of story. Sorry Tennis Larry, but if you want more money for money losing sports like women's basketball, better improve the football product. End of story.
Alkiadt
calbears4ever said:

Clueless post. You should do more research before posting such drivel.

Football revenue is the engine that drives the car. End of story.

And yes, Women's basketball loses the most money of any sport on Cal's campus. But it is a requirement to have Women's BBall (and Volleyball) to be in the Pac 12....They may generate the most revenue for women's sports (minimal in the big picture), but they both bleed money to the bottom line. They don't pay for themselves...
calbears4ever
Broadcasters on the pac 12 network and other channels have said many times that the powerhouse volleyball conferences are the pac 12 and big 10. The daily Californian said in an article that college football is basically treated the same way as the nfl even though the level of play is not comparable to the nfl's talent with the likes of Rodgers and Desean Jackson among others. The NFL definitely has an influence on the college game, and with both the NFL and college running at the same time, it speaks to say that both sides make more revenue than any other sport in their respective divisions (NFL pro, D1 FBS football ncaa)

https://www.dailycal.org/2020/12/21/a-changing-relationship/
sycasey
calbears4ever said:

Broadcasters on the pac 12 network and other channels have said many times that the powerhouse volleyball conferences are the pac 12 and big 10.
I'm sure they are, relative to other volleyball leagues. But volleyball still doesn't generate revenue.
calbears4ever
NVBear78 said:

calbears4ever said:

That is a recipe for economic disaster.

What I meant to say was more than what they get now.
calbears4ever
sycasey said:

calbears4ever said:

Broadcasters on the pac 12 network and other channels have said many times that the powerhouse volleyball conferences are the pac 12 and big 10.
I'm sure they are, relative to other volleyball leagues. But volleyball still doesn't generate revenue.

They definitely do have some of the most of all women's sports, I think it depends on the matchup. In Cal's case, the games vs Stanford, Utah, and USC were over 1000 attendees last season, and the attendance record at Haas was broken during last season's Big Spike (in Haas), topping out at 4178. I was at those games, the numbers don't lie.
sycasey
calbears4ever said:

sycasey said:

calbears4ever said:

They definitely do have some of the most of all women's sports, I think it depends on the matchup. In Cal's case, the games vs Stanford, Utah, and USC were over 1000 attendees last season, and the attendance record at Haas was broken during last season's Big Spike (in Haas), topping out at 4178. I was at those games, the numbers don't lie.
You have a knack for focusing on minor details and missing the bigger picture. Very impressive!
calbears4ever
I was only giving reasons why they can go big on revenue with some matches. After all, i post about the volleyball team a lot (see Olympic sports forum on the site)
Goobear
calbears4ever said:

sycasey said:

calbears4ever said:

""They definitely do have some of the most of all women's sports, I think it depends on the matchup. In Cal's case, the games vs Stanford, Utah, and USC were over 1000 attendees last season, and the attendance record at Haas was broken during last season's Big Spike (in Haas), topping out at 4178. I was at those games, the numbers don't lie.""

The big deficits also don't lie. The best thing for those sports is for football to generate as much money as possible. You root for football in order to be able root for the other sports. Those sports would never be on tv if football was not around. So let's go with the supply and demand. There is much more demand for football in the PAC12 than any other sport. I personally love the olympic sports and watch it but I know it is there because of football. Not the other way around.
wifeisafurd
calbears4ever said:

Broadcasters on the pac 12 network and other channels have said many times that the powerhouse volleyball conferences are the pac 12 and big 10. The daily Californian said in an article that college football is basically treated the same way as the nfl even though the level of play is not comparable to the nfl's talent with the likes of Rodgers and Desean Jackson among others. The NFL definitely has an influence on the college game, and with both the NFL and college running at the same time, it speaks to say that both sides make more revenue than any other sport in their respective divisions (NFL pro, D1 FBS football ncaa)

https://www.dailycal.org/2020/12/21/a-changing-relationship/
I'm not sure what being a top volleyball conference (and for that matter the Pac is the top women's basketball conference) has to do with financing the related programs when they generate huge deficits, which college football continues to subsidize. It should not be a tough concept tor a Cal grad to grasp that the more surplus football generates, the more money is in the pipeline to be distributed to deficit producing programs. Pac football income relative to other P5 conferences is dropping - that is ultimately why Scott got pushed out. If he was generating SEC or Big 10 money all the other bad optics he generated probably would never have mattered.

As for the rest of the dribble and some journalism student bemoaning sports were played during a pandemic, that really has no relevance to gender equity, and in fact show an utter lack of understanding of how the women's programs are funded. Without football being played there are no women's sports in the Pac being played to the great level they are currently played (I happen to be a big fan of women's college basketball). That also goes form most of the men's sports as well. My favorite line of mush was "because we live in a capitalist economy with a government that refuses to support its citizens, we are required to choose between risking death from disease while working and risking death from destitution while not working, said the entitled Daily Cal journalist. The post should be dismissed on the basis of stupidity just for linking that garbage.
calbears4ever
The author of the article covers football, there'a no reason to say that, it makes no sense. I'm sure he does understand the implications football has on cal athletics, otherwise, he would be assigned to cover another sport
calbears4ever
Goobear said:

calbears4ever said:

sycasey said:

calbears4ever said:

""They definitely do have some of the most of all women's sports, I think it depends on the matchup. In Cal's case, the games vs Stanford, Utah, and USC were over 1000 attendees last season, and the attendance record at Haas was broken during last season's Big Spike (in Haas), topping out at 4178. I was at those games, the numbers don't lie.""

The big deficits also don't lie. The best thing for those sports is for football to generate as much money as possible. You root for football in order to be able root for the other sports. Those sports would never be on tv if football was not around. So let's go with the supply and demand. There is much more demand for football in the PAC12 than any other sport. I personally love the olympic sports and watch it but I know it is there because of football. Not the other way around.

Do I hate that we are in a budget deficit? Yes. Do I wish for there to be other ways to fund non-revenue sports without relying on football for everything? Also yes. Sure, the Cal Athletics fund and endowments help, but they don't help everything. And that's the hard part
59bear
calbears4ever said:

Softball is far and away the strongest women's sport in the PAC12 even though it has struggled in recent years with ascendant SEC, Big12, ACC and Big10 powers. Compare the facilities in the SEC and Big12 to those in the PAC12. Only Arizona and, maybe, Oregon are remotely comparable. Football revenue drives this disparity. I've always been proud of the broad range of sports fielded in the PAC12 but we're no longer dealing with relatively inexpensive extracurricular programs as they existed when I was at Cal (60+ years ago). Today it's "Go big or go home" and most fringe sports need to be run as endowed club programs. Title IX is a hugely complicating factor in the economics of intercollegiate sports and, I believe, the issue of NIL compensation is potentially an existential one.
wifeisafurd
calbears4ever said:

I was only giving reasons why they can go big on revenue with some matches. After all, i post about the volleyball team a lot (see Olympic sports forum on the site)
If you bother to educate yourself, I think you will find those events added little marginal revenue due to free tickets (the schools run massive promotions with junior leagues) or minuscule admission fees. I try to attend women's basketball events at UCLA and SC (when the Bay Area or a top national team play) before COVID, and even when not getting the courtesy tickets, the pricing is a small fraction of what a men's ticket would cost. If you want to persuade people to get into women's sports, you first need to understand the underlying economics. In that regard, I suggest you look at '59 post above. The new commissioner needs to figure out how to increase revenue to make the pot bigger for everyone. That doesn't take the naive ranting of some journalism major who obviously knows nothing about the college athletic economics, it requires someone who understands media rights and putting out a product that people want to watch. And it is clear, the Pac already has a very good product in women's basketball and volleyball, but that doesn't matter. What matters is the relative decline in football revenue. The Pac needs an improved football product.
Deutsch
There is apparently a clause in his contract that upon departure he will be entitled to 3 months at a Mayo Clinic affiliate which specializes in teaching patients to distinguish their bottoms from a hole in the ground. This will be quite a challenge for the Clinic but it has assembled a top flight team of proctologists and civil engineers to take on the project. The SEC has also designated a representative in the hope that it can intervene if (when) the project falters and steer the patient to still another rival conference to destroy it as well.
philbert

Post removed:
by user
dimitrig
Stanford Jonah said:

philbert said:

At least the executive committee is from schools that care about football. Now we just need to make sure that whatever Carol Christ wants, we do the opposite.

Cal does not understand revenue sports and never will. Berdahl is the only chancellor who ever got it.

I think Chancellor Tien was great for Cal sports.

Go Beah!

AunBear89
Are you really GoldenOnenote?

Your hatred and disdain for all things University of California certainly locates you as GoldenOnenote adjacent...
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.