Story Poster
Photo by Twitter / Ieremia Moore
Cal Football

Moore Rounds Out 2021 Class With Commitment to Cal

January 31, 2021

The Bears made a strong addition in 2021 St. John Bosco by way of New Zealand OLB/rush end Ieremia Moore today. 

The 6-3/270 Moore is an interesting recruit, having moved from Hamilton, New Zealand to the states to play football and seek a strong degree with his 4.0 current gpa.

“I always loved Cal since moving to the USA,” said Moore after the commitment. “The academics are amazing. 

Moore noted that the Bears like him as an outside linebacker/rush end hybrid.

“I have great positional versatility and I have a great relationship with the coaches,” noted Moore.

Moore has been in the St. John Bosco (Bellflower, CA) for a year and has practiced and worked out with the team but has as of yet to play organized football.

Rated 3 stars by 247 and Rivals, Moore got on the radar with his tremendous combination of size, speed and strength at various camps and combines in the last year, including earning defensive line MVP at the SoCal National Preps Showcase before earning late offers from Cal, UCLA, Duke and more.

Moore announced his commitment to Cal this evening via Twitter, saying?

“First and foremost, I would like to thank God for guiding me throughout life. I thank God for strengthening my body and soul to overcome adversity through the toughest of times. 

“I would like to thank Coach Negro, Coach Mia and the entire Bosco family for helping me throughout the recruiting process. I would like to thank all of the coaches who have helped to develop me into the player I am today. I thank the Tauanu’u-Patolo family for hosting me and supporting me throughout my time in America.

“Lastly, I thank my family for the unconditional love thoughout my journey. Without the support of God, my family and my coaches, I would not be in the blessed position I am today...I love you all.

“I am blessed to announce that I am 100% committed to the University of California, Berkeley!”

“The great things about Cal getting him now is they’re getting a clean slate,” said Ieremia (Mia) Tui. “He’s a kid coming from New Zealand who’s just picking up the game of football. He’s been with us about a year and a couple months and what he’s learned with us in that timespan, you couldn’t get from a kid who started as a freshman.

“He took everything in that we taugh and from other coaches and just honed it and developed it. In one year of learning the game, he’s taken three years of learning the game and compiled it into one. And that’s just with us. With Coach Browning and the Cal staff, they’ll be getting a kid with no bad habits who learns very quickly and is physically dominant.

“He’s about 270 right now and that’s just 270 high school muscle. Once he gets in Cal’s strength and conditioning program, he’ll trim that fat and you’ll have 270 pounds of real muscle. And being a rugby player, his endurance and stamina is up there. He can outrun a couple of the skill guys on our team. For 270, when he gets moving, he’s moving. You can probably catch him at a 4.6 when he’s coming on the line. He plays with great leverage and hands.

“Coach Browning and Coach Wilcox will love what they’re getting in this kid. And he’s as humble as it gets. His purpose in coming here from New Zealand is to play in the NFL instead of getting a professional rugby contract back home but ultimately, he wants that Cal degree that’s respected around the world to fall back on after he’s done playing.”

Stay tuned for more on the Bears’ latest addition coming up.

More stories:

Bears Have Their QB for 2022 in Martin

Williams Talks About Commitment to Cal

Discussion from...

Moore Rounds Out 2021 Class With Commitment to Cal

17,138 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by drizzlybears brother
harebear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Welcome, Ieremia! Great choice and so excited to have you join the D which is going to be (even more) fearsome!
Goobear
Welcome Ieremia, wishing you the best of success on and off the field. Haere Mai!

YamhillBear
Any word on whether he'll play rugby as well?
burritos
Booya!
FireFighterBest
Incredible pickup. Love his story! Hopefully he gets to the NFL and gets a great education on the way.
heartofthebear
Welcome and good luck
New Zealand is on my bucket list to visit.
91Cal
Absolutely love the talent, size and depth being assembled on the defensive side of the ball! Looking forward to the results on the field and seeing the same start to happen on the offensive side. The latter will be more rapid as the defense shows what it can do!

The future is bright! Go Bears!
Goobear
heartofthebear said:

Welcome and good luck
Fantastic people there. I can recommend it. My wife and I went when Cal played Hawaii in Sydney. We first went skiing in New Zealand. Absolutely amazing people. We want to go back. Once In Australia we realized they are also nice but nothing like the Kiwis. Good part of being at the game was my son got his first start! Go Bears!
MoragaBear
Staff
Goobear said:

heartofthebear said:

Welcome and good luck
Fantastic people there. I can recommend it. My wife and I went when Cal played Hawaii in Sydney. We first went skiing in New Zealand. Absolutely amazing people. We want to go back. Once In Australia we realized they are also nice but nothing like the Kiwis. God part of being at the game was my son got his first start! Go Bears!
I went to both with our daughter on that Hawaii game trip. It was my second time to both. Our favorite this time in New Zealand was Hobbiton, which looked just like the movie with their dozens of Hobbit holes. Really cool. Love Christchurch on the South Island, too.
chazzed
Very cool. Good luck to Mr Bosco in the classroom and on the gridiron!
philbert
Welcome to the Cal fam! You've made a great 40 year decision!
Bobodeluxe
burritos
heartofthebear said:

Welcome and good luck
Only been to south island. M i l ford Sound and Tranzalpine train line is a must.
Bearly Clad
Late offer but not an afterthought, Ieremia is a physical beast. He took home DL MVP honors at the SoCal National Preps Showcase without ever having suited up for an official game yet, his ceiling is ridiculous. Very thankful to have Mr. Moore joining the program. It's a Great Day to be a Bear!
72CalBear
While living in New Zealand from l979-86, I brought American "gridiron" to the high school where I taught in North Auckland. Equipment was donated by BYU and within a couple of years there were 6 club teams formed. The Kiwis loved gridiron! Their backgrounds in rugby and soccer made them incredibly versatile, and of course they had no problems with the physical aspects of the game! They just didn't like wearing "all the bloody equipment!" Once we established the notion of "blocking" and the forward pass, it was just great to watch the boys excel. We even had cheerleaders and a "super bowl" whereby the basic Bike helmets we ordered got mixed up with a full shipment of Houston Oiler helmets and arrived on game day! With a bit of luck, you might still find one lurking down under.
dmh65
After I finally finished my graduate degree at Cal, I took the summer off and traveled Australia for 4 weeks and New Zealand for 3. While I liked Oz, I absolutely loved NZ. Such a beautiful country and fun wonderful people. I really hope to return one day (post covid) before I'm too old..

I'm always surprised that rugby isn't bigger in the US. Action packed, manly, violent but with less injuries than american football... Do you think it's not bigger here because there's not really room for both american football and rugby? Is it not a good TV sport? At least Cal does more than its share when it comes to rugby. (I admit that i've only been to two rugby matches; I should go again... I need someone to explain the rules again to me though!)

UrsineMaximus
dmh65 said:

After I finally finished my graduate degree at Cal, I took the summer off and traveled Australia for 4 weeks and New Zealand for 3. While I liked Oz, I absolutely loved NZ. Such a beautiful country and fun wonderful people. I really hope to return one day (post covid) before I'm too old..

I'm always surprised that rugby isn't bigger in the US. Action packed, manly, violent but with less injuries than american football... Do you think it's not bigger here because there's not really room for both american football and rugby? Is it not a good TV sport? At least Cal does more than its share when it comes to rugby. (I admit that i've only been to two rugby matches; I should go again... I need someone to explain the rules again to me though!)

Simple, it would be bigger if there was more money in it. That said, for kids that are electing to no longer play football they should pick up rugby. It is safer and any idiot that tackles the wrong way could be sent to the "sin bin". I played 2 years in high school and 3 years at Cal ~ during all that time I did have 1 concussion but no other major injuries save a few pulled but mostly sore muscles.
TomBear
In a way, it's better that rugby's not contaminated by all the big money. Look what big money has done to other sports!

Rugby is gaining big time in the U.S. Many high school players are opting for rugby as opposed to football for a number of reasons. First, you get to play both offense and defense. Second, there is a place for every body type in rugby, from massive to small. However, some "massive" types won't do well in rugby because you have to be ultra fit because of all the running. Third, the traditions of rugby are important. You don't see the mouthing off at referees, the taunting, dancing, and disrespect in the game because it's simply not tolerated. At the conclusion of a match, both teams get together for a meal or drink-up, which leads to Fourth: The camaraderie. Because of the toll it takes on a body, and the sacrifice all players know each other gives, there is an amazing and wonderful fellowship of players. Fifth: you don't have to wear all the padding and helmets. Part of the reason is because in rugby you are taught to tackle, not just to hit. You can't get away with what many DBs do in football. In Rugby you learn quickly if you don't tackle correctly, you won't play for very long. I know I'm missing some things, but those are the things that come to me quickly.

Cal has a rich tradition of players that played both football and rugby. And those that played rugby usually were among the best football players because, as I said, rugby players (especially at Cal) seldom miss a tackle.

This will be a great story. We know he knows how to tackle. He has terrific God-given gifts athletically that will work to his advantage. And Kiwis are just plain good people. He is a great student, and I think his story may provide Cal with some interesting human interest coverage.

I sure hope he decides to play rugby at Cal as well as football, but players looking to the league may not be willing to make a sacrifice of their bodies for so many months. One can always hope.
Rushinbear
dmh65 said:

Your last sentence probably is the answer to your question.

When people ask me about the rules, I say imagine you're playing soccer and you're allowed to pick up the ball and run with it and that the other team can tackle you. That gets you about 80% there.And, I'll bet the 90% of soccer players would like nothing more than to do just that.
wvitbear
I think of Kenny McCalister, who was a basketball guard for USF when they were good. At that time , basketball players who were not quite NBA ready turned to pro football without playing football in college. Cornell Greene being the most famous for the Cowboys. I have always thought defensive players could be molded from great athletes. And it has proven true. University of Pittsburg had a 6'6" college center who was a hell of a pass rusher.

I don't think pro football players get too old. They just get too beat up. The longer you can start to give up your body the better.
Big C

Ieremia, we can't wait to see you play and cheer you on as a Golden Bear! California is a great school and you will never regret this choice. Go Bears!
LACalFan
Welcome, Ieremia!

What a class!
Bubba_Bear84
Welcome Mr. Moore! Can't wait to see you on the field giving QBs nightmares.

Go Bears!
Efini
Best class in a long time rounded out by a future BEAST!
heartofthebear
Goobear said:

heartofthebear said:

Welcome and good luck
Fantastic people there. I can recommend it. My wife and I went when Cal played Hawaii in Sydney. We first went skiing in New Zealand. Absolutely amazing people. We want to go back. Once In Australia we realized they are also nice but nothing like the Kiwis. Good part of being at the game was my son got his first start! Go Bears!
I recently talked with a guy who spent the better part of a year there.
He says that it isn't as hard to move there as folks think.

He told me that it depends on who the political leaders are how liberal they are about immigration to there country. Apparently right now they have a more welcoming attitude. It is still pretty expensive there.
heartofthebear
Bearly Clad said:

Late offer but not an afterthought, Ieremia is a physical beast. He took home DL MVP honors at the SoCal National Preps Showcase without ever having suited up for an official game yet, his ceiling is ridiculous. Very thankful to have Mr. Moore joining the program. It's a Great Day to be a Bear!
We are going to be pretty awesome at DE for the next few years. We already had 3 good ones for 2021 and our first commit for 2022 is also a DE. We need some more ILBs, DTs and S.
NVBear78
heartofthebear said:

Bearly Clad said:

We are going to be pretty awesome at DE for the next few years. We already had 3 good ones for 2021 and our first commit for 2022 is also a DE. We need some more ILBs, DTs and S.

Isn't our initial 2022 commitment a Nose Guard and interior defensive lineman? And weren't several of the 2021 recruits also candidates to swing between DE and DT?

Just wanting to make sure my understanding is correct. Very happy with all these newcomers!

p.s. do we have confirmation that Moore signed his LOI today, sorry if I missed it elsewhere.
WalterSobchak
NVBear78 said:

heartofthebear said:

Bearly Clad said:

Isn't our initial 2022 commitment a Nose Guard and interior defensive lineman? And weren't several of the 2021 recruits also candidates to swing between DE and DT?

Just wanting to make sure my understanding is correct. Very happy with all these newcomers!

p.s. do we have confirmation that Moore signed his LOI today, sorry if I missed it elsewhere.
Yes. As things stand now we are projected to have, for the first time I can remember, at least 3 300+ lb interior linemen who are all high 3* or better (ie no projects) in McKenzie (310), Correia (365), and Williams (325). We also have a couple of "smaller" DTs/swing guys with absolute motors in Johnson (290) and Maldonado (285). This is a HUGE development for Cal assuming they all live up to their baseline potential. People tend to fixate on starters, but the best defenses are good because they can rotate DL based on situation and to stay fresh.
Give to Cal Legends! https://calegends.com/donation/ Do it now. Text every Cal fan you know, give them the link, tell them how much you gave, and ask them to text every Cal fan they know and do the same.
NVBear78
WalterSobchak said:

NVBear78 said:

heartofthebear said:

Bearly Clad said:

Yes. As things stand now we are projected to have, for the first time I can remember, 3 300+ lb interior linemen who are all high 3* or better (ie no projects) in McKenzie (310), Correia (365), and Williams (325). We also have a couple of "smaller" DTs/swing guys with absolute motors in Johnson (290) and Maldonado (285). This is a HUGE development for Cal assuming they all live up to their baseline potential. People tend to fixate on starters, but the best defenses are good because they can rotate DL based on situation and to stay fresh.

Thanks Walter, and last I heard Jaedan Roberts is over 300 lbs now as well and I believe can play inside or outside though perhaps not the nose.

p.s. the Dude still abides.......
WalterSobchak
Thanks. Edited my post. Still finishing my coffee.
Give to Cal Legends! https://calegends.com/donation/ Do it now. Text every Cal fan you know, give them the link, tell them how much you gave, and ask them to text every Cal fan they know and do the same.
drizzlybears brother
Welcome Mr. Moore. In a lifetime full of big choices, my decision to attend Cal is one of my very favorites.

We wish you all the best both on and off the field.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.