The Oregon Pays More and Cal Is Cheap Narrative Just Got Blown Up.

4,392 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by wifeisafurd
NYCGOBEARS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/2021/02/contract-details-released-for-oregon-ducks-defensive-coordinator-tim-deruyter.html
socaliganbear
This is what happens when people get demoted. It's pretty clear he left because he was a glorified position coach, with a DC resume.
71Bear
NYCGOBEARS said:

https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/2021/02/contract-details-released-for-oregon-ducks-defensive-coordinator-tim-deruyter.html
The figure cited in the news article included a $300K retention bonus which evidently was not included in his most recent contract because his contract for the 2020 season was $400K.

In fact, here is a list of the Asst Coach salary pool for P12 schools (note: SC and LSJU are not listed because their information is not available through public record searches).

Washington $5.06 million
Oregon: $4.78 million
UCLA $4.28 million
Utah $4.26 million
ASU $3.70 million
WSU $3.63 million
Cal $3.62 million
OSU $3.37 million
Colo $3.32 million
Arizona $3.07 million

Source: USA Today NCAA Asst. Football Coach Database.

GivemTheAxe
71Bear said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

The figure cited in the news article included a $300K retention bonus which evidently was not included in his most recent contract because his contract for the 2020 season was $400K.

In fact, here is a list of the Asst Coach salary pool for P12 schools (note: SC and LSJU are not listed because their information is not available through public record searches).

Washington $5.06 million
UCLA $4.28 million
Utah $4.26 million
ASU $3.70 million
WSU $3.63 million
Cal $3.62 million
OSU $3.37 million
Colo $3.32 million
Arizona $3.07 million

Thanks for posting. I THOUGHT the number given seemed too high.
calumnus
GivemTheAxe said:

71Bear said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

Washington $5.06 million
UCLA $4.28 million
Utah $4.26 million
ASU $3.70 million
WSU $3.63 million
Cal $3.62 million
OSU $3.37 million
Colo $3.32 million
Arizona $3.07 million

Cristobol makes $2.5 million
Wilcox makes $3.3 million

So the total is not that different. We pay more to the HC and less to the assistants.
71Bear
calumnus said:

GivemTheAxe said:

71Bear said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

Washington $5.06 million
UCLA $4.28 million
Utah $4.26 million
ASU $3.70 million
WSU $3.63 million
Cal $3.62 million
OSU $3.37 million
Colo $3.32 million
Arizona $3.07 million

So the total is not that different. We pay more to the HC and less to the assistants.
calumnus - you gotta keep up. You are a year behind.

https://www.registerguard.com/story/sports/college/football/2020/12/17/oregon-ducks-coach-mario-cristobal-gets-new-six-year-27-3-million-contract/3941468001/
GivemTheAxe
71Bear said:

calumnus said:

GivemTheAxe said:

71Bear said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

Washington $5.06 million
UCLA $4.28 million
Utah $4.26 million
ASU $3.70 million
WSU $3.63 million
Cal $3.62 million
OSU $3.37 million
Colo $3.32 million
Arizona $3.07 million

https://www.registerguard.com/story/sports/college/football/2020/12/17/oregon-ducks-coach-mario-cristobal-gets-new-six-year-27-3-million-contract/3941468001/

Am I reading the article correctly that in addition to his $27.3 millennium in contract for 6 years he gets $500,000 annual retention bonus plus an additional $100,000 increase on his base salary? Or are both of these numbers already included in his $27.3 million number?
And does he get any additional performance bonuses?
GivemTheAxe
71Bear said:

calumnus said:

GivemTheAxe said:

71Bear said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

Washington $5.06 million
UCLA $4.28 million
Utah $4.26 million
ASU $3.70 million
WSU $3.63 million
Cal $3.62 million
OSU $3.37 million
Colo $3.32 million
Arizona $3.07 million

Am I reading the article correctly. Does he get an additional $500k retention bonus annually plus an additional $100k annual increase in addition to his $27.3 MM salary. Or are those amounts included in the $27.3 MM.
and does he get any performance bonuses?
mdbear
I don't think there is any way to get around the fact that coaches have higher upside salary potential at Oregon than they do at Cal. When Oregon wants to attract or retain a coach, they turn to what the article calls "private funding," which I assume is Phil Knight, who is willing to pay whatever it takes. When Oregon wanted to lure Jim Leavitt away from Colorado to become their DC, they paid him $1.7 million a year. No Cal assistant coach can reasonably expect to earn that kind of money. Oregon does not spend on coach salaries the way Alabama or Clemson do, but they can come up with the big bucks when they want.
BearForce2
NYCGOBEARS said:

What about the Cal sucks narrative? Is it still out there?
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
71Bear
GivemTheAxe said:

71Bear said:

calumnus said:

GivemTheAxe said:

71Bear said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

Washington $5.06 million
UCLA $4.28 million
Utah $4.26 million
ASU $3.70 million
WSU $3.63 million
Cal $3.62 million
OSU $3.37 million
Colo $3.32 million
Arizona $3.07 million

Am I reading the article correctly that in addition to his $27.3 millennium in contract for 6 years he gets $500,000 annual retention bonus plus an additional $100,000 increase on his base salary? Or are both of these numbers already included in his $27.3 million number?
And does he get any additional performance bonuses?
My impression from reading the article is the retention bonus and annual increases are included in the $27.3 million. He does have additional annual bonus clauses that range from 300K to 500K.
dimitrig
mdbear said:

I don't think there is any way to get around the fact that coaches have higher upside salary potential at Oregon than they do at Cal. When Oregon wants to attract or retain a coach, they turn to what the article calls "private funding," which I assume is Phil Knight, who is willing to pay whatever it takes. When Oregon wanted to lure Jim Leavitt away from Colorado to become their DC, they paid him $1.7 million a year. No Cal assistant coach can reasonably expect to earn that kind of money. Oregon does not spend on coach salaries the way Alabama or Clemson do, but they can come up with the big bucks when they want.

Does it even make sense to pay these kinds of salaries to assistant coaches?

I'm not so sure.
mdbear
dimitrig said:

mdbear said:

I'm not so sure.

That is fair question without a definitive answer. I think the best evidence is what Nick Saban does, who seems to win with an ever rotating cast of assistants because they keep getting hired away. Alabama paid its 10 assistants an average of $885,000 last year, the highest in the country. Sarkisian was the highest paid assistant at $2.5 million, which is more than most FBS head coaches earn. If a guy with Saban's track record thinks you have to pay top dollar to get good assistants, that says a lot. Of course, Saban is operating in a very different environment than Cal.
dimitrig
mdbear said:

dimitrig said:

mdbear said:

I'm not so sure.

That is fair question without a definitive answer. I think the best evidence is what Nick Saban does, who seems to win with an ever rotating cast of assistants because they keep getting hired away. Alabama paid its 10 assistants an average of $885,000 last year, the highest in the country. Sarkisian was the highest paid assistant at $2.5 million, which is more than most FBS head coaches earn. If a guy with Saban's track record thinks you have to pay top dollar to get good assistants, that says a lot. Of course, Saban is operating in a very different environment than Cal.

Well, the question is also what does a "top" assistant bring to the program that an "average" assistant does not?

Does the difference between what a guy that Cal can hire for about $850K and a guy that makes twice that translate into more success on the field?

Just because Alabama CAN pay assistant coaches that much doesn't necessarily mean they are getting their money's worth.

I would think that continuity and stability are important to a program and being able to keep assistants would be a part of that. So for that reason, I'd like to see Cal increase the salaries of its assistants, especially the OC and DC, but $1.7M per year for a DC seems like diminishing returns.

71Bear
dimitrig said:

mdbear said:

dimitrig said:

mdbear said:

I'm not so sure.

Well, the question is also what does a "top" assistant bring to the program that an "average" assistant does not?

Does the difference between what a guy that Cal can hire for about $850K and a guy that makes twice that translate into more success on the field?

Just because Alabama CAN pay assistant coaches that much doesn't necessarily mean they are getting their money's worth.

I would think that continuity and stability are important to a program and being able to keep assistants would be a part of that. So for that reason, I'd like to see Cal increase the salaries of its assistants, especially the OC and DC, but $1.7M per year for a DC seems like diminishing returns.

Based on the results*, Bama has produced in the recent past, I think they are definitely getting their money's worth. In fact, the group of assistants they have assembled each year might be underpaid.....

*Since 2008, the Tide has a record of 163-17 with 6 national championships.

dimitrig
71Bear said:

dimitrig said:

mdbear said:

dimitrig said:

mdbear said:

I'm not so sure.

Based on the results*, Bama has produced in the recent past, I think they are definitely getting their money's worth. In fact, the group of assistants they have assembled each year might be underpaid.....

Correlation does not imply causation.

ColoradoBear
From the thread title, I thought this was going to be about players and preloaded debit cards.
Gobears49
dimitrig said:

71Bear said:

dimitrig said:

mdbear said:

dimitrig said:

mdbear said:

I'm not so sure.

But correlation is the only evidence available. Would like to know if there is any other evidence that can be used.
wifeisafurd
71Bear said:

dimitrig said:

mdbear said:

dimitrig said:

mdbear said:

I'm not so sure.

Let me add those assistants are (sans maybe Tosh) are moving on to higher paying head coach or coordinator jobs, or at least getting offers to do so. Kirby Smart and Sark being two of just several examples (and Smart had turned down other head coach offers before going to Georgia). So yes, you can say some Alabama assistants may be underpaid from the standpoint they often could leave for more money in the short term, but are willing to be so to be with a successful program. The other side is the Pac schools can't afford (or won't pay) these salary levels, and their revenue base becomes comparatively less to some other conferences. So the Pac either needs to find a new model to compete, or become more competitive in terms of salary structure. Right now, Oregon seems to be adapting the more SEC like approach. We will see if it pays off.
wifeisafurd
Gobears49 said:

dimitrig said:

71Bear said:

dimitrig said:

mdbear said:

dimitrig said:

mdbear said:

I'm not so sure.

But correlation is the only evidence available. Would like to know if there is any other evidence that can be used.
But the fact they are getting better offers to leave Alabama suggests the marketplace agrees with '71.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.