Sarkasian nabs a 5 star QB from the LA area

4,564 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by calumnus
71Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Texas received a commitment from Maalik Murphy, a five star (247 composite) QB from Gardena, UCLA and UO were in the running....

If Cal can't get a highly rated player (for whatever reason), I like to see them go out of conference. Good for Sark....
remb8888
He's able to recruit where ever he goes
chazzed
If you can't recruit to Texas, you're incompetent.
Big C

Texas always gets players with a lot of stars, but for the last while, they've been getting "guys who love being football players, not guys who love playing football".
BearSD
Big C said:

Texas always gets players with a lot of stars, but for the last while, they've been getting "guys who love being football players, not guys who love playing football".
Correct. They need more guys who love it enough to do everything it takes all week to win on Saturday, and fewer guys who mostly love the uniform and the gear and being worshipped in Austin.
okaydo
We should get a QB from Texas. Perhaps 4-star Brock Mansion Jr.
dimitrig

It's almost like Sark has some sort of connection to LA...

Cal Strong!
Cal Strong like to see Wilcox get a 5-star QB . . . or and 5-star football player. That would be strong.
Rushinbear
Cal Strong! said:

Cal Strong like to see Wilcox get a 5-star QB . . . or and 5-star football player. That would be strong.
Strong is improving the quality across the board. A 5 star in a sea of low/mod 3's won't do it.

The 5's will come when a stronger team overall starts winning in bunches.
Goobear
okaydo said:

We should get a QB from Texas. Perhaps 4-star Brock Mansion Jr.
We got a 4 star QB if I am not mistaken..
Efini
2021 QB Millner is a 4*, 2022 QB commit Martin also 4*
remb8888
chazzed said:

Devil's advocate response: if you can't recruit to the SF Bay Area you're incompetent
Go!Bears
remb8888 said:

chazzed said:

Devil's advocate response: if you can't recruit to the SF Bay Area you're incompetent
I think he means UoT. I think you mean UCB. I don't think the two are equally challenging. ;-)
remb8888
Go!Bears said:

remb8888 said:

chazzed said:

I think he means UoT. I think you mean UCB. I don't think the two are equally challenging. ;-)
I know what he meant
Go!Bears
remb8888 said:

Go!Bears said:

remb8888 said:

chazzed said:

I know what he meant
Yes, but do you think the two are equally challenging?
remb8888
Go!Bears said:

remb8888 said:

Go!Bears said:

remb8888 said:

chazzed said:

I know what he meant
Just throwing out there our supposed recruiting advantage as well.
Cal Strong!
remb8888 said:

Go!Bears said:

remb8888 said:

Go!Bears said:

remb8888 said:

chazzed said:

I know what he meant
Cal Strong strongly agree. Cal is best place on earth to go to school. Wilcox been here too long to not get 5 stars.
Go!Bears
remb8888 said:

Go!Bears said:

remb8888 said:

Go!Bears said:

remb8888 said:

chazzed said:

I know what he meant
The Bay Area is beautiful, but the last year in Berkeley has been brutal and then there's all the other stuff (dead horses beaten many times on this site over the years). I think recruiting to Cal these days has to be harder than ever.
burritos
What percentage of NFL qb's were 5* recruits. I'll give you a hint, it's not 100%
71Bear
burritos said:

What percentage of NFL qb's were 5* recruits. I'll give you a hint, it's not 100%
That is true. However, this particular conversation is directed towards college football. There are any number of other threads on which you can direct your NFL observations. In college, five stars are the foundation upon which national champions are built.

The top five teams in the 2021 recruiting rankings had 21 five stars between them. Those same schools (Bama, Ohio State, LSU, Georgia and Clemson) are also responsible for the last 7 national championships. I suspect that recruiting premier athletes had something to do with their success.
remb8888
burritos said:

Which NFL team are we rooting for on this Cal Bears football message board? I don't give a flying **** how many star recruits are on NFL teams. You're right many successful players in the NFL were not very highly ranked coming out of college.

But what we can say is that there is a very high correlation between the recruiting stars who have an impact and those college programs who are successful. Probably a chicken or the egg phenomenon but sometimes it comes down to the coach.

I can't remember the last time Cal had a head coach who had a reputation as an A+ recruiter. Tedford had a run but we learned that was because Tosh Lupoi caught that early social media wave. Now everyone's doing it. We've never had anyone like a sark, like a Cristobal, etc.

I mean it's all about how you sell the positives of each program. I mean if Oregon in the middle of fking nowhere Eugene can attract top tier recruits by selling their facilities and uniform why can't Cal sell its own strengths better? We haven't had anyone truly capitalize on it.
dimitrig
remb8888 said:

burritos said:

Which NFL team are we rooting for on this Cal Bears football message board? I don't give a flying **** how many star recruits are on NFL teams. You're right many successful players in the NFL were not very highly ranked coming out of college.

But what we can say is that there is a very high correlation between the recruiting stars who have an impact and those college programs who are successful. Probably a chicken or the egg phenomenon but sometimes it comes down to the coach.

I can't remember the last time Cal had a head coach who had a reputation as an A+ recruiter. Tedford had a run but we learned that was because Tosh Lupoi caught that early social media wave. Now everyone's doing it. We've never had anyone like a sark, like a Cristobal, etc.

I mean it's all about how you sell the positives of each program. I mean if Oregon in the middle of fking nowhere Eugene can attract top tier recruits by selling their facilities and uniform why can't Cal sell its own strengths better? We haven't had anyone truly capitalize on it.

The problem, if you want to call it a problem, is that Cal has high admission standards and - unlike Stanford - it is difficult to stay eligible once admitted.

You can convince all kinds of kids to come to Cal, but they need to be able to make the grade here.

The pool of kids that can do that and also play football at a high level is pretty small and so that's where we are.

remb8888
dimitrig said:

remb8888 said:

burritos said:

The problem, if you want to call it a problem, is that Cal has high admission standards and - unlike Stanford - it is difficult to stay eligible once admitted.

You can convince all kinds of kids to come to Cal, but they need to be able to make the grade here.

The pool of kids that can do that and also play football at a high level is pretty small and so that's where we are.

We've all heard this argument over and over and over again. Honestly I don't know how much merit it has in that I'm sure 'rigorous academics and eligibility criteria' play a role in decreasing the recruitment pool but honestly to what degree does it really do that?

How much longer do we put up with the 'he couldn't hack it academically' excuse? Granted some big recruits flamed out, during the Tosh Lupoi era, we were getting a lot of interest from a lot of highly ranked players without academic excuses. There's plenty of academically eligible recruits who we are just not attracting.
dimitrig
remb8888 said:

We've all heard this argument over and over and over again. Honestly I don't know how much merit it has in that I'm sure 'rigorous academics and eligibility criteria' play a role in decreasing the recruitment pool but honestly to what degree does it really do that?

How much longer do we put up with the 'he couldn't hack it academically' excuse? Granted some big recruits flamed out, during the Tosh Lupoi era, we were getting a lot of interest from a lot of highly ranked players without academic excuses. There's plenty of academically eligible recruits who we are just not attracting.

Compared to Oregon or most schools in the SEC - you know, the ones contending - it has a lot of merit.

During the Tosh Lupoi era we were signing a lot of recruits who flamed out and our APR was HORRIBLE!

FloriDreaming
Go!Bears said:

remb8888 said:

Go!Bears said:

remb8888 said:

chazzed said:

I know what he meant
I think Cal gets in its own way. Pretty much every coach has said recruiting at Cal is not difficult, but then none of them (with the exception of the Tosh years) get the big classes. Texas has a bigger in-state talent and is the flagship of the state, so it has a better base of talent to work with, but Cal shouldn't be THIS far behind.

Then again, some of us have been saying this for decades.
71Bear
dimitrig said:

remb8888 said:

burritos said:

Ah. The old red herring comes back around again.

No, academics are not an issue when it comes to recruiting talent. There are far more guys in the pool who are damn good players and are academically capable than Cal could recruit each season.

Cal is no tougher than any other school given the academic support offered each player.

For years, this has been the biggest excuse spread by those who need to find a reason for poor performance on the field.

Early Tedford proved that you can win at Cal regardless of the academic issues. In hindsight, he said the biggest mistake he made at Cal was not maintains the standards he established at the beginning of his tenure.

Never believe for a moment that academics are a roadblock. To the contrary, they are what Cal should be selling because great athletes can easily made the grade if they take advantage of all the support to which they have access.
burritos
It all went downhill when Holmoe failed to nab DJ Williams.
sefton
I'l start to pay more attention when Sark is spotted in hospital delivery rooms.....gowned up and chatting it up with he parents.
Ever hopeful and it seems like forever.
Gobears49
Cal Strong! said:

remb8888 said:

Go!Bears said:

remb8888 said:

Go!Bears said:

remb8888 said:

chazzed said:

I know what he meant
Cal Strong strongly agree. Cal is best place on earth to go to school. Wilcox been here too long to not get 5 stars.
I tend to agree someone who frequently points out that Wilcox's conference record is not very stellar. Far many more losses than wins using that computation.
Goobear
HuaHin (fka Uthai) said:

Go!Bears said:

remb8888 said:

Go!Bears said:

remb8888 said:

chazzed said:

I know what he meant
I think Cal gets in its own way. Pretty much every coach has said recruiting at Cal is not difficult, but then none of them (with the exception of the Tosh years) get the big classes. Texas has a bigger in-state talent and is the flagship of the state, so it has a better base of talent to work with, but Cal shouldn't be THIS far behind.

Then again, some of us have been saying this for decades.
Recruiting is not easy. Berkeley is a place not everyone is looking for. This has nothing to do with Cal but does play a role. I think Wilcox et al have started to figure it out and the last 2 classes have been increasing in quality. That will get us more wins and in turn better classes in the future. Do not be blinded by how good the school is. It is a myriad of things. And then there is the filled paper bag strategy some schools employ. The amounts that are rumored to be paid are staggering in some cases. I am not going to go into detail because they are rumors but 6 figures is not uncommon...These number rumors are talked about by both college and high school coaches
remb8888
If anything, USC has demonstrated that it pays to cheat.

i.e. Reggie Bush era.

- Thank goodness for the recruiting sanctions which have clearly killed their program's recruiting ability.
- Thank goodness they vacated the wins and championships because those memories of watching them on TV playing in the National Championship and Rose Bowl games while Cal sat on the wayside were immediately erased. As soon as they erased those winning seasons from the recordbooks it felt as if it was Cal there at the Rose Bowl.
- Thank goodness they punished USC football because that totally ruined their branding as a top football school
Bearly Clad
First, and I can't believe I even have to say this, yes the academics are more challenging at The University of California which is #1 public university in the world vs. places like the University of Oregon or the SEC. Even with tutors and all the advantages given to athletes that regular students don't get our athletes still have to work hard academically

Second, recruiting is on a clear upswing the last couple years under Wilcox. According to 24/7 Sports, last year Wilcox signed his first top 25 recruiting class with 7 recruits who were 4*s and both our early '22 commits are 4*s

Third, finding the right guys is more important than getting 5*s just for the hell of it. Wilcox seems like he's building things the right way and signing talented players who are also good fits for the program, we'll have to wait a couple years to see but this feels nothing like '10 and '11 when we were landing 5* talent that wasn't right for the program

I've never seen anyone use academics as an excuse for on-field performance. Dykes rebuilt the APR scores but was just a bad HC and Wilcox rebuilt the program from the crater Dykes left it in. The reason Cal academics are relevant in recruiting is that, like it or not, there are much, much fewer academically qualified top athletes. There were only 32 athletes last cycle with 5* ratings and only 2 of them had Cal offers
71Bear
Just for the record, Cal finished 28th in the 2021 247Composite rankings.
calumnus
Bearly Clad said:

First, and I can't believe I even have to say this, yes the academics are more challenging at The University of California which is #1 public university in the world vs. places like the University of Oregon or the SEC. Even with tutors and all the advantages given to athletes that regular students don't get our athletes still have to work hard academically

Second, recruiting is on a clear upswing the last couple years under Wilcox. According to 24/7 Sports, last year Wilcox signed his first top 25 recruiting class with 7 recruits who were 4*s and both our early '22 commits are 4*s

Third, finding the right guys is more important than getting 5*s just for the hell of it. Wilcox seems like he's building things the right way and signing talented players who are also good fits for the program, we'll have to wait a couple years to see but this feels nothing like '10 and '11 when we were landing 5* talent that wasn't right for the program

I've never seen anyone use academics as an excuse for on-field performance. Dykes rebuilt the APR scores but was just a bad HC and Wilcox rebuilt the program from the crater Dykes left it in. The reason Cal academics are relevant in recruiting is that, like it or not, there are much, much fewer academically qualified top athletes. There were only 32 athletes last cycle with 5* ratings and only 2 of them had Cal offers

I am still in "show me" mode with Wilcox, I think his first run as a HC has had a number of missteps, especially with regard to the offense, the three years of Baldwin and allocation of coaching budget and scholarships to the defensive side. However, recruiting, especially in next years' class, is looking good and is trending up. It is the least concern at this point.

The biggest concern is Musgrave, he can get a mulligan for last season, but needs to show something this Fall. We cannot go 5 years with the worst offense in conference. We just cannot. We also cannot fire him and try again.

Second much smaller concern is Sirmon (and Wilcox) with no TDR. I am not worried and see the opening as an opportunity.

We are recruiting extremely well all things considered and if we get the offense turned around while playing good defense we will win more PAC-12 games than we lose and THAT will attract top recruits. It has in the past and it will again. Because all things considered the education and location are big positives. Not for everyone, but for enough top players to compete for the conference championship and be in the national conversation.
82gradDLSdad
burritos said:

It all went downhill when Holmoe failed to nab DJ Williams.

But he got Tosh that year.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.