Welcome Coach Chryst!

4,710 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Cal Strong!
harebear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Geep Chryst Named Tight Ends Coach. Lots of NFL experience as well as experience with analytics. Looks like a great hire.

calumnus
Seems like a good addition to the offensive brain trust. He's worked with Musgrave before. I like that we are adding someone with data analytics as a forte. The NFL background will hopefully help with recruiting, but otherwise that is the only negative I see in him replacing Tui.
upsetof86
Looks like a home run to me. And covid infection rates are falling precipitously, Geep gets announced before spring ball. Let's roll the ball out and get to work. Go Bears!
okaydo
Prediction: He'll end up marrying the chancellor, and she'll become Carol Christ-Chryst.
79 Bear
Maybe they'll have a son named Chris.
Nasal Mucus Goldenbear
So, ALL of us are understandably asking ourselves... what in green tarnation is a "Geep" anyhow?

Well... according to wikip "Geep" refers to one of 3 wonders:

(1) Sheepgoat CHIMERA, "a chimera produced by combining the embryos of a goat and a sheep; the resulting animal has cells of both sheep and goat origin. A sheep-goat chimera should not be confused with a sheep-goat hybrid, which can result when a goat mates with a sheep.

"The first sheepgoat chimeras were created by researchers at the Institute of Animal Physiology in Cambridge, England... The successful chimeras were a mosaic of goat and sheep cells and tissues.

"In a chimera, each set of cells (germ line) keeps its own species' identity instead of being intermediate in type between the parental species. Because the chimera contains cells from (at least) two genetically different embryos, and each of these arose by fertilization of an egg by a sperm cell, it has (at least) four genetic parents. In contrast, a hybrid has only two. Although the individual cells in interspecies chimeras are entirely of one of the component species, their behaviour is influenced by the environment in which they find themselves.

"Sheepgoat chimeras as a general rule may be assumed to be fertile, with the reservations that apply to chimeras generally (which again reflect that the parent embryos may have been of different sex, so that the animal, apart from being a chimera, may also be intersex)."

(2) Sheepgoat HYBRID, "(called a geep in popular media or sometimes a shoat) is the offspring of a sheep and a goat. While sheep and goats seem similar and can be mated, they belong to different genera in the subfamily Caprinae of the family Bovidae. Sheep belong to the genus Ovis and have 54 chromosomes, while goats belong to the genus Capra and have 60 chromosomes. The offspring of a sheep-goat pairing is generally stillborn. Despite widespread shared pasturing of goats and sheep, hybrids are very rare, indicating the genetic distance between the two species. They are not to be confused with sheepgoat chimera, which are artificially created by combining the embryos of a goat and a sheep.

"CASES:
* At the Botswana Ministry of Agriculture in 2000, a male sheep impregnated a female goat resulting in a live offspring. This hybrid had 57 chromosomes, intermediate between sheep (54) and goats (60) and was intermediate between the two parent species in type. It had a coarse outer coat, a woolly inner coat, long goat-like legs and a heavy sheep-like body. Although infertile, the hybrid had a very active libido, mounting both ewes and does even when they were not in heat. He was castrated when he was 10 months old, as were the other kids and lambs in the herd.

* A male sheep impregnated a female goat in New Zealand resulting in a mixed litter of kids and a female sheep-goat hybrid with 57 chromosomes. The hybrid was subsequently shown to be fertile when mated with a ram.

* In France natural mating of a doe with a ram produced a female hybrid carrying 57 chromosomes. This animal backcrossed in the veterinary college of Nantes to a ram delivered a stillborn and a living male offspring with 54 chromosomes.

* In March 2014 a buck-ewe hybrid was born on a farm close to Gttingen in Germany.

* Also in March 2014, a male buck-ewe hybrid was born in Ireland.

* There was a reported case of live births of twin geep on a farm in Ireland in 2018.

* There was reported case of live birth of geep on a farm in Tabor in Czechia in 2020."

(3) A nickname for the EMD GP series of diesel locomotives

heartofthebear
Wilcox knows coordinators.
He's not shy about hiring coordinators for jobs as assistants.
I don't know how he does it.
It seems this guy is overqualified.
But that's okay with me.
Welcome Geep.
Every football team should have a Geep on it.
Bearly Clad
25 years coaching in the NFL: 4x as a QB coach, 3x as a TE coach, 2x as an OC, coached in a Super Bowl, and he's worked with Musgrave before. He hasn't had to recruit in a while, but recruits respect an NFL pedigree. This is a home run hire

Btw, I'm pretty sure Geep comes from his name George Patrick. I assume he was called G.P. and it got shortened
calumnus
79 Bear said:

Or Jesus
calumnus
heartofthebear said:

But that's okay with me.
Welcome Geep.

He hasn't worked since 2018 and maybe his wife likes the Bay Area (they used to live in Palo Alto, maybe still do?). He probably isn't hurting for money and saw the chance to get a low stress 6 figure gig working with people he knows and likes in a great location.
79 Bear
His son Keller was a 4 star QB coming out of high school. I remember when the tree recruited him when he was considered one of the best drop back QB recruits in the country. He did pretty well there and then apparently transferred to Tennessee.I don't recall why he transferred.
My guess is that Musgrave was instrumental in bringing him aboard.
calumnus
79 Bear said:

His son Keller was a 4 star QB coming out of high school. I remember when the tree recruited him when he was considered one of the best drop back QB recruits in the country. He did pretty well there and then apparently transferred to Tennessee.I don't recall why he transferred.
My guess is that Musgrave was instrumental in bringing him aboard.

100% it was Musgrave
socaliganbear
heartofthebear said:

But that's okay with me.
Welcome Geep.

He's been unemployed for years...
GivemTheAxe
socaliganbear said:

heartofthebear said:

But that's okay with me.
Welcome Geep.

Is his name pronounced with a hard "G" as in "great". Or a soft "G" as in "giraffe".
GivemTheAxe
socaliganbear said:

heartofthebear said:

But that's okay with me.
Welcome Geep.

The article says Geep was with Denver Broncos from 2017-2018. That means he was out of football only the 2019 and 2020 seasons. The 2020 season was not much of a real season (in fact the NCAA doesn't count it as a season against a college player's eligibility).
So while your statement that he has been "been unemployed for years" is technically accurate, it does him a disservice.
heartofthebear
socaliganbear said:

heartofthebear said:

But that's okay with me.
Welcome Geep.

Misleading and irrelevant:
He's had 3 decades of quality and versatile experience as a coach at the highest levels.
He stepped away for a year and then covid hit.

He's been out of work for 2 years. Who cares?
2 years doesn't erase 30 years of experience.

I'm sure he could get a better paying job if he wanted.
But I think what Calumnus said is about right.
heartofthebear
calumnus said:

79 Bear said:

Or Jesus
Cal needs Jesus on their side.
We need divine intervention.
calBlitz
Any relation to the Wisconsin head coach Paul Chryst?
92GoBears92
He crossed paths with Cal at his last college coaching gig... Wyoming in 1990. He met the Bruce Snyder led Bears with Russell White and Mike Pawlawski in the Copper Bowl. Interesting....
Alkiadt
calBlitz said:

Any relation to the Wisconsin head coach Paul Chryst?
His brother.
Bearly Clad
It's not even accurate though. In his two years since coaching with the Broncos he's still been involved in football, this is from Goberts in the BI thread (I usually don't share from the premium thread but this is freely available info):
Goberts said:

It looks like Geep has been the main coach of the Hub Football Camp for football free agents to get onto NFL rosters. I feel that this experience will resonate with recruits who aspire to be future NFL players.

He is also the co founder of Game Analytics Inc which provides analytics and game management consulting to NFL teams. Im curious about how much his analytics can help our team.

I'm super excited about what he can provide for our team. I suspect "TE Coach" is just a small part of his overall role with the team moving forward.
Valleyblue
I found a YouTube video where he was a guest and in the introduction it was pronounced with the soft "G."
Valleyblue
GivemTheAxe said:

socaliganbear said:

heartofthebear said:

But that's okay with me.
Welcome Geep.

Is his name pronounced with a hard "G" as in "great". Or a soft "G" as in "giraffe".
I found a YouTube video where he was a guest and in the introduction it was pronounced with the soft "G."
socaliganbear
heartofthebear said:

socaliganbear said:

heartofthebear said:

But that's okay with me.
Welcome Geep.

He's had 3 decades of quality and versatile experience as a coach at the highest levels.

Not irrelevant at all, you said "I don't know how he does it". Well, he literally was not employed as a coach for years, that's how he [Wilcox] did it. Not hard to hire someone in their given profession when they don't currently have a job doing that thing.
mbBear
socaliganbear said:

heartofthebear said:

But that's okay with me.
Welcome Geep.

Running your own Analytics company doesn't count as employment?
Bearly Clad
An analytics company that specifically works with NFL coaching staffs. And a football camp for NFL free agents trying to make a team. He's literally been working with NFL players and coaches for the last two years; that's hardly "unemployed", he wasn't even out of football for those two years.

socal's acting like Chryst hasn't coached in a decade and we hired him away from bingo night at the old folks home for some reason
mbBear
Bearly Clad said:

An analytics company that specifically works with NFL coaching staffs. And a football camp for NFL free agents trying to make a team. He's literally been working with NFL players and coaches for the last two years; that's hardly "unemployed", he wasn't even out of football for those two years.

socal's acting like Chryst hasn't coached in a decade and we hired him away from bingo night at the old folks home for some reason
Exactly. And let's call this for what it is: it's a niche hire. Given what we see in his background, he wasn't going to go to just any college location to work, and obviously was influenced by the staff he is joining. He is clearly an offensive consultant/TE coach, and Wilcox gained someone who could "talk the NFL talk" to recruits, more so than be the cool Tosh-like recruiter.
rkt88edmo
79 Bear said:

Nah, it'll be Krist after that Nirvana guy...Agree he seems overqualified, which hopefully will turn out fantastic.
bluehenbear
Looks like his nickname "Geep" is from the first letters of his first and middle names: G.P.?
AunBear89
bluehenbear said:

Looks like his nickname "Geep" is from the first letters of his first and middle names: G.P.?

At first glance, it seemed like a Dutch name. But your explanation makes more sense.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
calumnus
Bearly Clad said:

This is going too far. He was a "co-founder" of Game Analytics Inc in 2016, the year after the Niners and the year before going to Denver. I doubt he ran the company from Denver. He isn't leaving a CEO job to be a TE coach.

I agree that any criticism of his not working since Denver is silly. As you say he has likely been doing consulting since leaving Denver. He is a smart man who has worked many years in the NFL where the pay Is great. If the company he helped start is successful he is getting residuals from that or building equity if not also getting a paycheck. His kids are through college. He is almost certainly at a point in his life where he does not have to work and can be selective in the jobs he takes. Working with Wilcox and Musgrave in Berkeley was attractive so that is how "Wilcox got him." One of the advantages of having a low key head coach that other coaches enjoy collaborating with (as opposed to working for a tyrant) and being located in one of the most desirable places to live in the US.
heartofthebear
socaliganbear said:

heartofthebear said:

socaliganbear said:

heartofthebear said:

But that's okay with me.
Welcome Geep.

Not irrelevant at all, you said "I don't know how he does it". Well, he literally was not employed as a coach for years, that's how he [Wilcox] did it. Not hard to hire someone in their given profession when they don't currently have a job doing that thing.
Okay. But he wasn't unemployed so it's still misleading.
Cal Strong!
Cal Strong already thought he said this, but maybe no. Cal Strong been very busy these days with work and training. He no find his post. Maybe in his exhaustion he forget to press strong blue "post" button.

But this hire by Wilcox WEAK! Chryst immoral weakling. Weak parent. He let his son go to stanfurd. Weak at morality.

Why would strong parents entrust their sons to immoral weakling like Chryst?

This hire beginning of end for Wilcox at Cal. WEAK!!!!

Cal not weak. Cal not internet pervert. Cal not immoral. Cal not weak like stanfurd!! Cal STRONG like Cal!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.