Brasch

11,164 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by MoragaBear
UrsineMaximus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Has decided to transfer. Heck one day prior to the final scrimmage. So, 2 QBs now gone this Spring. Doesn't matter how one spins it, that just ain't good.
southseasbear
UrsineMaximus said:

Has decided to transfer. Heck one day prior to the final scrimmage. So, 2 QBs now gone this Spring. Doesn't matter how one spins it, that just ain't good.
Or maybe it indicates that the newer recruits are better.
wifeisafurd
UrsineMaximus said:

Expected. More to do with one back-up really separating from the others, and a highly regarded frosh QB on the way. Just not enough reps to go around.

Brasch has a high ceiling with his big arm. Notwithstanding they myriad of players in the portal, someone will want him.
heartofthebear
wifeisafurd said:

UrsineMaximus said:

Expected. More to do with one back-up really separating from the others, and a highly regarded frosh QB on the way. Just not enough reps to go around.

Brasch has a high ceiling with his big arm. Notwithstanding they myriad of players in the portal, someone will want him.
It seems that Johnson has been knocking it out of the park this spring--earning reps. and wracking up stats. If that is true and translates next fall, we should be okay at QB, especially with the apparent improvement of Rowell and the arrival of Millner in June. But it does make me a little nervous. It's not just QB. Our top WR target last season, Polk, left also.

Of course, with covid, academics and personal issues, we cannot jump to conclusions that Musgrave is causing this exodus. It's still not as bad as when Baldwin came in. There was a much bigger exodus then. And I am still excited about our overall depth on offense.
Marty
As mentioned, not enough reps, and while there may be additional factors in play, he obviously sensed that he was falling down the depth chart. Garbers appears locked in with 2 years of eligibility remaining. From Brasch's perspective, he's already been at Cal 2 seasons and he's no closer to starting, maybe further than when he arrived. I don't think this is a big loss, especially given Johnson's emergence, as per Musgrave's comments. A few months ago, there were 6 QBs in the room. Departures were inevitable, especially in the easy transfer era we're in, particularly at the QB position. If you look around the Pac-12, as well as the other P5 conferences, this is not that unusual, especially this year, with the COVID driven extra year all players received. If Garbers and the other 2 QBs continue to make progress, and of course can stay healthy, Cal appears to be in good shape, especially with Millner on the way. All the best to Brasch. Go Bears.
NVBear78
UrsineMaximus said:

Why?
71Bear
UrsineMaximus said:

That didn't take long...

Once Johnson passed Brasch on the two deep, it was fait accompli.

This is the world of modern college football. If you fall behind, you move on. No big deal. Cal is in fine shape with two solid QB's and a couple more (Milner and Martin) on the way.

I totally disagree with the notion that "it just ain't good". In fact, it frees up a scholie for Cal and it gives Brasch a chance to find a school where he will receive an opportunity to play. It is a classic "win-win".

If fans can't adjust to the idea of "free agency", they will find college athletics quite frustrating......

golden sloth
71Bear said:

This is the world of modern college football. If you fall behind, you move on. No big deal. Cal is in fine shape with two solid QB's and a couple more (Milner and Martin) on the way.

I totally disagree with the notion that "it just ain't good". In fact, it frees up a scholie for Cal and it gives Brasch a chance to find a school where he will receive an opportunity to play. It is a classic "win-win".

If fans can't adjust to the idea of "free agency", they will find college athletics quite frustrating......

I do wonder if this is going to make teams more susceptible to a large drop off in quality of play due to injuries during the season. For example:

A talented sophomore wins the starting job, the senior and junior at that position transfer out, so when that star sophomore gets injured, the freshman or transfer portal backup becomes the starter. This player is either younger and smaller, or they don't have the same experience and practice reps in the system leading to a larger drop off in play than would have been there with the Senior or Junior.

Though this may be more confined to the QB position, where the backups get limited playing time compared to other positions where you get plenty of plays if you're in the 2-deep.
71Bear
golden sloth said:

71Bear said:

I do wonder if this is going to make teams more susceptible to a large drop off in quality of play due to injuries during the season. For example:

A talented sophomore wins the starting job, the senior and junior at that position transfer out, so when that star sophomore gets injured, the freshman or transfer portal backup becomes the starter. This player is either younger and smaller, or they don't have the same experience and practice reps in the system leading to a larger drop off in play than would have been there with the Senior or Junior.

Though this may be more confined to the QB position, where the backups get limited playing time compared to other positions where you get plenty of plays if you're in the 2-deep.
I think it all depends on how much eligibility a player has left and how close he is to graduating. A player who has two years of eligibility remaining and is one semester from graduating might stick it out and leave later as grad transfer. On the other hand, a player like Brasch or Casey with a number of years of eligibility remaining would be more inclined to move on once they realize their chances of seeing the field on a regular basis are diminished.
JSC 76
It never bothers me when QBs transfer -- it comes with the position. Unlike every other position, there can Only Be One. The #1 gets 99% of the playing time; #2 gets 1%; the rest carry a clipboard. If they feel they can get on the field somewhere else, more power to 'em and godspeed.
Oski87
Brash has 4 years to play 4 as a transfer - he will get picked up as a quality QB. He is our third QB to leave for the portal this year (Modster and Casey). He was 4th on the depth chart. Milner will come in the fall and he would perhaps have been 5th. He clearly wants to play so go elsewhere and play. With QBs you have to be able to get somewhere you fit. In any event he will hopefully do better elsewhere - he is athletic and has a big arm.

The bigger issue with transfers is the over 800 kids in the portal and the possibly 150 or 200 slots available now in D1. These kids are giving up their scholarships for nothing. For most of them - if you can't cut it where you are - what makes you think you can do better elsewhere.
GivemTheAxe
71Bear said:

UrsineMaximus said:

That didn't take long...

Agree
MoragaBear
Staff
The QBs who transferred were 4th and 5th on the depth chart heading into this spring with a talented frosh coming in.

Transfers are rarely a one-way street, at least at Cal.
heartofthebear
MoragaBear said:

The QBs who transferred were 4th and 5th on the depth chart heading into this spring with a talented frosh coming in.

Hopefully we pick up a transfer or 2.
MoragaBear
Staff
heartofthebear said:

MoragaBear said:

They don't want a transfer or two. The staff is happy with 3 back and a talented freshman coming in this summer. Too many reps to divide otherwise.
71Bear
heartofthebear said:

MoragaBear said:

While you can never have too many OLers, you can have too many QB's. No transfers needed. Three plus one arriving in the fall followed by one each year thereafter is plenty. In fact, that is probably too many. I like the idea of creating a competitive environment in which transfers will continue to occur on a regular basis (as long as it isn't the #1 guy).
chazzed
Brasch was a trooper in his start at Utah. Because of all the injuries on our team, our odds of winning were minuscule. I wish the young man nothing but good fortune at the school where he ends up.
heartofthebear
MoragaBear said:

heartofthebear said:

MoragaBear said:

They don't want a transfer or two. The staff is happy with 3 back and a talented freshman coming in this summer. Too many reps to divide otherwise.
I didn't necessarily mean at QB. But, if the 4 can all substitute effectively for each other than yeah, no more QBs needed. Otherwise a transfer QB that might be an upgrade on say...Rowell, for example, would be a good idea. In 2019, our last full season, we were down to our #3 QB at one point. How did that go? Right now we have good depth (maybe 3 deep) at WR, TE, OL and RB. I would not say that is true at QB necessarily. I'm not picking on Robbie, but if we can get a transfer that is better than him, why not?
71Bear
heartofthebear said:

MoragaBear said:

heartofthebear said:

MoragaBear said:

I didn't necessarily mean at QB. But, if the 4 can all substitute effectively for each other than yeah, no more QBs needed. Otherwise a transfer QB that might be an upgrade on say...Rowell, for example, would be a good idea. In 2019, our last full season, we were down to our #3 QB at one point. How did that go? Right now we have good depth (maybe 3 deep) at WR, TE, OL and RB. I would not say that is true at QB necessarily. I'm not picking on Robbie, but if we can get a transfer that is better than him, why not?
I would suggest the odds of finding a QB in the transfer market who wants to be a third stringer is non-existent. In fact, I would not want a guy who was willing to be a 3rd teamer. Of course, if D.J. U. wants to transfer from Clemson, I would find space for him. But he is a not a third string kinda guy.
heartofthebear
71Bear said:

heartofthebear said:

MoragaBear said:

heartofthebear said:

MoragaBear said:

I would suggest the odds of finding a QB in the transfer market who wants to be a third stringer is non-existent. In fact, I would not want a guy who was willing to be a 3rd teamer. Of course, if D.J. U. wants to transfer from Clemson, I would find space for him. But he is a not a third string kinda guy.
I'm not saying we get a third stringer, just someone that adds competition and can compete for the job down the line or fill in effectively when injuries occur. Does anybody want to be a third stringer? All these guys come to Cal to compete for playing time. None of them think they are 3rd stringers, except maybe walk-ons. Johnson is having a good spring but he is 6'1". Even Garbers gets too many of his passes tipped. So, yes we can do better.
71Bear
heartofthebear said:

71Bear said:

heartofthebear said:

MoragaBear said:

heartofthebear said:

MoragaBear said:

I'm not saying we get a third stringer, just someone that adds competition and can compete for the job down the line or fill in effectively when injuries occur. Does anybody want to be a third stringer? All these guys come to Cal to compete for playing time. None of them think they are 3rd stringers, except maybe walk-ons. Johnson is having a good spring but he is 6'1". Even Garbers gets too many of his passes tipped. So, yes we can do better.
Your comment included the statement, "I'm not picking on Robbie, but if we can get a transfer that is better than him, why not?". That implied finding a transfer who would supplant Rowell as the third unit guy.

I think the piece of the puzzle that you are missing is the ramp-up time required to be an effective QB. Unlike other positions, it takes considerable time to master the O to a degree where you can function efficiently. Garbers and Rowell are seasoned vets and Johnson has been in the program a couple years. Unless the new guy is a savant, he would not be ready to take the reins until 2022, particularly because he missed spring ball this month. By then, the highly regarded Millner would also have a year under his belt. No, a QB transfer would be a waste of a scholie at this point.
WalterSobchak
The guy you're describing is coming. His name is Kai Millner.
heartofthebear
71Bear said:

heartofthebear said:

71Bear said:

heartofthebear said:

MoragaBear said:

heartofthebear said:

MoragaBear said:

Your comment included the statement, "I'm not picking on Robbie, but if we can get a transfer that is better than him, why not?". That implied finding a transfer who would supplant Rowell as the third unit guy.

I think the piece of the puzzle that you are missing is the ramp-up time required to be an effective QB. Unlike other positions, it takes considerable time to master the O to a degree where you can function efficiently. Garbers and Rowell are seasoned vets and Johnson has been in the program a couple years. Unless the new guy is a savant, he would not be ready to take the reins until 2022, particularly because he missed spring ball this month. By then, the highly regarded Millner would also have a year under his belt. No, a QB transfer would be a waste of a scholie at this point.
On one hand you're saying nobody is going to come in to be a 3rd stringer but yet it takes a year or two to learn the system. Which is it? What I am saying is that 2 young guys left. We need more young guys to replace them precisely because it takes a while to learn the system. A transfer could come in now and would be ready to compete in 2023 after Garbers and Rowell are gone. Otherwise it is just Milner and Martin. Who would be our 3rd stringer at that point. As I have said, you need depth because we were down to a 3rd stringer in 2018 and 2019 and 2020 doesn't count. Who is going to be the third stringer in 2023 under your scenario, unless it takes less than 2 years to learn the system. In that case, you are contradicting yourself.
HearstMining
71Bear said:

UrsineMaximus said:

That didn't take long...

Whoa - you say you're happy with two solid QBs (Garbers and Johnson) yet it was just back in 2019 when Cal had to start their 3rd-string QB (somewhat ironically, Brasch) when both Garbers and Modster were injured. It didn't go well, and either Garbers or Modster (I don't recall which) was rushed back for the next game. Cal isn't Alabama or even U$C so can't have stack of 5* QBs available, yet we now have a starter who has never completed a full season uninjured, and the third stringer is a walk-on. So, yeah, while Brasch has every right to transfer, I don't think it's a win for Cal.
MoragaBear
Staff
heartofthebear said:

71Bear said:

heartofthebear said:

71Bear said:

heartofthebear said:

MoragaBear said:

heartofthebear said:

MoragaBear said:

On one hand you're saying nobody is going to come in to be a 3rd stringer but yet it takes a year or two to learn the system. Which is it? What I am saying is that 2 young guys left. We need more young guys to replace them precisely because it takes a while to learn the system. A transfer could come in now and would be ready to compete in 2023 after Garbers and Rowell are gone. Otherwise it is just Milner and Martin. Who would be our 3rd stringer at that point. As I have said, you need depth because we were down to a 3rd stringer in 2018 and 2019 and 2020 doesn't count. Who is going to be the third stringer in 2023 under your scenario, unless it takes less than 2 years to learn the system. In that case, you are contradicting yourself.
It's not just Milner and Martin in 2023. Johnson will be a rs junior then.
blungld
MoragaBear said:

I remember when Johnson signed late and was the second and less heralded recruit you kept telling everyone that he was a gamer and to not dismiss him. That you thought he had potential. Boy did he! Is he another late blooming Pawlawski type?

"The Bear will not quilt, the Bear will not dye!"
UrsineMaximus
Perhaps we should wait until ZJ has a few PAC 12 games under his belt until we declare "he's arrived". Sure he is showing "promise" and has "flashed" this Spring but that is not like facing Udub in Seattle or $C in LA.

The QB position is the least experienced and has the shallowest depth of any position group on the team. Millner's arrival this summer doesn't change that.

Consensus here is that we are fine (some suggest we are better off) with the departure of Casey and Brasch, so be it.

Go Bears!!

Side Note: wouldn't surprise me if Martin gets more attention and offers once his season kicks off in Southern California. He may be "enticed" to consider going elsewhere ~ nothing is set until they actually sign their LOI. That could mean that Cal would be in desperate need to sign Fifita (BI wouldn't agree). Doubtful that Duffy considers Cal. And those are the only 3 QBs offered at this point.
MoragaBear
Staff
UrsineMaximus said:

Perhaps we should wait until ZJ has a few PAC 12 games under his belt until we declare "he's arrived". Sure he is showing "promise" and has "flashed" this Spring but that is not like facing Udub in Seattle or $C in LA.

The QB position is the least experienced and has the shallowest depth of any position group on the team. Millner's arrival this summer doesn't change that.

Consensus here is that we are fine (some suggest we are better off) with the departure of Casey and Brasch, so be it.

Go Bears!!

Side Note: wouldn't surprise me if Martin gets more attention and offers once his season kicks off in Southern California. He may be "enticed" to consider going elsewhere ~ nothing is set until they actually sign their LOI. That could mean that Cal would be in desperate need to sign Fifita (BI wouldn't agree). Doubtful that Duffy considers Cal. And those are the only 3 QBs offered at this point.
The offers from USC, Oregon, Nebraska, Michigan State, etc weren't enough for Martin? HE's just waiting on that extra special one to dump Cal?
UrsineMaximus
I think if UCLA came knocking and some select SEC teams that he would at least consider them. Either way until he actually signs he isn't a Bear. Plenty of kids and a lot of QBs flip, fwiw.

I hope he doesn't but sure it's a possibility.
71Bear
MoragaBear said:

heartofthebear said:

71Bear said:

heartofthebear said:

71Bear said:

heartofthebear said:

MoragaBear said:

heartofthebear said:

MoragaBear said:

Add to that list the guy they sign in December 22.....

At that point, as noted in an earlier post, the depth will be such that another transfer is likely....

71Bear
UrsineMaximus said:

I think if UCLA came knocking and some select SEC teams that he would at least consider them. Either way until he actually signs he isn't a Bear. Plenty of kids and a lot of QBs flip, fwiw.

I hope he doesn't but sure it's a possibility.
SEC - definitely; other P12 - nah....
71Bear
heartofthebear said:

71Bear said:

heartofthebear said:

71Bear said:

heartofthebear said:

MoragaBear said:

heartofthebear said:

MoragaBear said:

As noted elsewhere, Millner, Martin, Johnson and the guy Cal signs in Dec 22 will be the quartet (unless, of course, someone transfers or if Johnson goes pro early).

heartofthebear
71Bear said:

heartofthebear said:

71Bear said:

heartofthebear said:

71Bear said:

heartofthebear said:

MoragaBear said:

heartofthebear said:

MoragaBear said:

As noted elsewhere, Millner, Martin, Johnson and the guy Cal signs in Dec 22 will be the quartet (unless, of course, someone transfers or if Johnson goes pro early).

I don't understand the difference between getting a recruit that signs on Dec. 22 and getting a transfer to sign whenever. Either way, it is a 4th QB on scholie. Either way it is likely to be a 3 star. Either way the QB will have to learn the system.
heartofthebear
MoragaBear said:

heartofthebear said:

71Bear said:

heartofthebear said:

71Bear said:

heartofthebear said:

MoragaBear said:

heartofthebear said:

MoragaBear said:

Since when has Cal gone into a season with only 3 QBs on the roster? Who is going to be the back when #3 has to be the starter like happened in 2018 and 2019? I think you are trying to defend Rowell so much that you can't see the forest for the trees. Like I said, I am not attacking Rowell, but Rowell has 2 seasons of eligibility left and the 2 guys who transferred out had 4 each. What I am concerned about is overall depth for 2023.
Big C
Oftentimes, Cal will have more than three scholarship quarterbacks on a given roster, like we would have now, if Casey or Brasch had stayed. In 2023, we can project to have four: Johnson, Millner, Martin and the true freshman they bring in in that class. Sometimes we bring in two, as was the case last year

The question is: How many do we NEED? We should be fine this fall, but yes, hopefully Garbers and Johnson won't both go down. It's not too unlikely a scenario, but we will have Rowell and Millner.

We bring in a scholarship QB every year, occasionally two, so that when a situation like this arises, we're still okay. This is why we also try and groom a walk on, as we did with Rowell, who seems to be working out!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.