Story Poster
Photo by Twitter / Mavin Anderson
Cal Football

2021 Cal WR Signee Mavin Anderson: Why I Chose Cal

April 1, 2021

My name is Mavin Anderson‍.  I live in Mission Viejo CA and have played at Mission Viejo High School all 4 years. I’ve run track all 4 years as well. 100, 200 and 4x100 (PRs of 10.9 and 22.57 freshman year before taking off soph and junior years due to injury and covid).

My father is a former Marine and played a little football in the Marine Corps. I started playing Pop Warner at age 9. I also played baseball at a high level until high school, but I lacked passion for baseball that I have for football. I love the sense of brotherhood and strategy involved with football.

One of my favorite memories is making it to the OCJAFF Super Bowl in 8th grade. We got killed but leading that team to that game let me know that this class of 2021 was special. 

My family and I place education above everything but I also wanted to be in a competitive situation on the field. It was a perfect fit at Cal. When I visited Cal, it felt like home.

I consider Burl Toler not just my position coach but a big brother and role model. The connection during recruiting and after has been amazing.

I’m looking forward to displaying my skills and learning from my brothers already working up there. I also look forward to growing into the next chapter of my life.

Everything I do, I strive to maximize it. I truly want high character to be the words and thoughts that describe me. It’s the example I’ve been shown all my life through my parents, grandparents, aunts/Titas and uncles/Titos. Being of Black and Filipino descent, I want to always represent my people in the proper way and I WANT TO WIN!

Go Bears!

Other stories:

Dylan Jemtegaard: Why I Chose Cal

2021 Cal OLB Signee Patrick Hisatake: Why I Chose Cal

Discussion from...

2021 Cal WR Signee Mavin Anderson: Why I Chose Cal

5,923 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by dimitrig
WalterSobchak
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Welcome to Cal! You will learn a ton both in and out of the classroom and the experience likely will shape you for the rest of your life. Embrace every opportunity and adversity, soak everything in, and always remember learning is the best gift you can give yourself so approach each day with curiosity and excitement. Hope you have as great an experience as I did.

We want to WIN too! Go Bears!
01Bear
Congrats on your decision and welcome to Cal! May you enjoy your time there as much as I enjoyed mine. Cal will give you back everything you put into it and more. The more you put in, the greater your reward. That's part of what makes it such a great school. But I'm sure you already knew that, since you made the decision to attend the greatest university in the world.

I look forward to cheering you on and watching you succeed on the field and off. Your decision to attend Cal has put you on the right path.

Go Bears!
CALiforniALUM
Welcome Mavin. Great to have you here.

He seems to have a resemblance to Andre Kelly, no, or is it my poor eyesight?

calumnus
Mabuhay ang Bears!
dimitrig

"My family and I place education above everything but I also wanted to be in a competitive situation on the field. It was a perfect fit at Cal."

Welcome to Cal!

Sounds like the kind of player I want representing my alma mater.

Go Bears!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.