This Recent Commitment Seems a Bit Under-reported

4,094 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Big C
heartofthebear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Because of the weirdness of covid-19 as it relates to the high school football season, Cal has received an extremely late commitment for the 2021 class, most of which was signed more than 4 months ago.
Link here
71Bear
heartofthebear said:

Because of the weirdness of covid-19 as it relates to the high school football season, Cal has received an extremely late commitment for the 2021 class, most of which was signed more than 4 months ago.
Link here
Walk-ons generally don't announce commitments. In fact, they are usually identified only after enrolling. This is a bit different, perhaps because he is a PWO with no other P5 options?
calumnus
heartofthebear said:

Link here

There is another thread. Part of the reason it is under-reported is that the coaches cannot discuss walk-ons until they are enrolled in school. This came from the player.
Bobodeluxe
Welcome Kevin!
AunBear89
There's another thread that HAS HIS VERY UNIQUE LAST NAME IN THE TITLE! Geez...
heartofthebear
AunBear89 said:

There's another thread that HAS HIS VERY UNIQUE LAST NAME IN THE TITLE! Geez...
It's a very misleading thread title to announce a commit. And it pretty much went unnoticed.
TomBear
Whether announced or not, man, I like his film. He seems to be very smart and has good instincts. His ball placement seems very good, his vision seems very good, and his legs seem very good. I'll be interested to see how he evolves. Glad to have him in Blue and Gold, that's for sure.
71Bear
TomBear said:

Whether announced or not, man, I like his film. He seems to be very smart and has good instincts. His ball placement seems very good, his vision seems very good, and his legs seem very good. I'll be interested to see how he evolves. Glad to have him in Blue and Gold, that's for sure.
He is a walk-on with a couple four stars (one enrolled, one committed for '22) directly in front of him on the depth chart. His chances of seeing the field at QB are very, very slim. He is a practice player.
ARbear
Don't tell that to Baker Mayfield or Pat Laird! I know traditionally it is a stretch, but Cal has had an extremely good track record of very successful walk one. Guys like Stephen Anderson also come to mind
Goobear
71Bear said:

TomBear said:

He is a walk-on with a couple four stars (one enrolled, one committed for '22) directly in front of him on the depth chart. His chances of seeing the field at QB are very, very slim. He is a practice player.
I'm terms of reps you are absolutely right. He will have to make the most of it. But never say never. Also with the new transfer rule he may be able to go somewhere else as a recruited athlete and get an opportunity.
MoragaBear
Staff
Rowell passed fairly highly-regarded QBs Casey and Brasch so you never know.
71Bear
MoragaBear said:

If this guy passes Millner and/or Johnson and/or Martin (if his commitment holds up), Cal will have pulled off a major heist. In this era, a QB going under the radar, ending up as a walk-on and making an impact at the P5 level is extraordinarily unusual. Of course, it is possible but I would give him the same odds as Cal earning a spot in the CFP.

As for Casey and Brasch, the proof is in the pudding, neither guy as good as touted. Otherwise, other P5 schools would have jumped at the opportunity to sign them as transfers. As far as I know, they are still in the portal.
calumnus
ARbear said:

Don't tell that to Baker Mayfield or Pat Laird! I know traditionally it is a stretch, but Cal has had an extremely good track record of very successful walk one. Guys like Stephen Anderson also come to mind

Wes Howell, Chidi Ahanatu, Scott Fujita, iheani Uwaezuoke, Chad Hansen Patrick Laird, Ashtyn Davis....
71Bear
calumnus said:

ARbear said:

Wes Howell, Chidi Ahanatu, Scott Fujita, iheani Uwaezuoke, Chad Hansen Patrick Laird, Ashtyn Davis....
You forgot about the OLers in the early Tedford era. And Manderino and McGrath.

By the way, I absolutely agree about non-QB walk-ons becoming successful players. I have never argued otherwise. My point, which was evidently lost in the desire by posters to name all the great guys who worked their way to the front of the line was that QB's are a special breed. Only one can play at a time and the likelihood of a walk-on making a big impact is extremely remote.
Goobear
calumnus said:

ARbear said:

McMorris.....
Go!Bears
71Bear said:

MoragaBear said:

If this guy passes Millner and/or Johnson and/or Martin (if his commitment holds up), Cal will have pulled off a major heist. In this era, a QB going under the radar, ending up as a walk-on and making an impact at the P5 level is extraordinarily unusual. Of course, it is possible but I would give him the same odds as Cal earning a spot in the CFP.
I am curious about what you might think about this.

If I have it right, no one offered Aaron Rodgers out of HS. He probably could have been a PWO at Cal. If he had chosen that route, does he ever start for us? Does he ever become what he is?
71Bear
Go!Bears said:

71Bear said:

MoragaBear said:

If I have it right, no one offered Aaron Rodgers out of HS. He probably could have been a PWO at Cal. If he had chosen that route, does he ever start for us? Does he ever become what he is?
Rodgers was a smart guy. Given he was academically eligible out of HS, he knew that he could transfer after one year at a JC where he would see the field and get noticed. The rest is history. In other words, JC is a smart way to go because you can play and move on vis a vis going somewhere as a walk-on, getting buried on the depth chart and never getting a chance.

Once again, my comments pertain to QBs only. Other players who receive a PWO offer should take it.

southseasbear
71Bear said:

Go!Bears said:

71Bear said:

MoragaBear said:

Rodgers was a smart guy. Given he was academically eligible out of HS, he knew that he could transfer after one year at a JC where he would see the field and get noticed. The rest is history. In other words, JC is a smart way to go because you can play and move on vis a vis going somewhere as a walk-on, getting buried on the depth chart and never getting a chance.

Once again, my comments pertain to QBs only. Other players who receive a PWO offer should take it.

In all fairness, however, Rodgers was noticed only by Tedford and only because Tedford was recruiting a tight end, and in the process saw that the QB throwing to Garrett Cross was special. If Tedford had not stumbled upon him, would any other coach have noticed?
71Bear
southseasbear said:

71Bear said:

Go!Bears said:

71Bear said:

MoragaBear said:

In all fairness, however, Rodgers was noticed only by Tedford and only because Tedford was recruiting a tight end, and in the process saw that the QB throwing to Garrett Cross was special. If Tedford had not stumbled upon him, would any other coach have noticed?
In 2002, maybe not after his first season but definitely after year 2. In 2021, given the relentless communication of information, there is no doubt he would have received a ton of attention after his first season at Butte.
Goobear
71Bear said:

Go!Bears said:

71Bear said:

MoragaBear said:

The new rule for transfer will help this kid. If he is excellent he can get a shot at another place if Cal does not work out.
MoragaBear
Staff
Very few walk-on qbs end up starting but covid through a major wrench in the recruiting process with no camp or 7-on-7 circuit and short, late seasons with little game film so this year could be different.
Goobear
MoragaBear said:

Very few walk-on qbs end up starting but covid through a major wrench in the recruiting process with no camp or 7-on-7 circuit and short, late seasons with little game film so this year could be different.
Yes Covid affected a lot of high school seniors. It will last for years and will result in fewer scholarship spots for years. Kids are trying to find a spot.
calumnus
MoragaBear said:

Rodgers slipped through the cracks, it can happen. Or a QB that is talented but "too short" at 17 can grow a few inches by 19. Some QBs play for small schools, 7-7 leagues and get passed over. The Niners just drafted one at #3.

The biggest problem with QB is there is usually no way to play your way onto the field. Nearly every other position is platooned, but coaches tend to pick a starter and then stick with them, no matter what. Game experience is valued more than any other position. Sometimes the back-up gets a shot, but rarely the #3 and the #4 and #5? Forget about it.
Rushinbear
71Bear said:

southseasbear said:

71Bear said:

Go!Bears said:

71Bear said:

MoragaBear said:

In 2002, maybe not after his first season but definitely after year 2. In 2021, given the relentless communication of information, there is no doubt he would have received a ton of attention after his first season at Butte.
Lots of coaches were licking their chops to offer him when he graduated from Butte. Only Tedford, it appears, knew that he was eligible right away.
71Bear
Rushinbear said:

71Bear said:

southseasbear said:

71Bear said:

Go!Bears said:

71Bear said:

MoragaBear said:

Lots of coaches were licking their chops to offer him when he graduated from Butte. Only Tedford, it appears, knew that he was eligible right away.
That makes no sense. Rodgers' was a qualifier out of HS thus he was ready to go after a year at JC. Everyone would have known that.....
ColoradoBear
71Bear said:

Rushinbear said:

71Bear said:

southseasbear said:

71Bear said:

Go!Bears said:

71Bear said:

MoragaBear said:

That makes no sense. Rodgers' was a qualifier out of HS thus he was ready to go after a year at JC. Everyone would have known that.....

Correct - Tedford tape of Rodgers when looking for a TE (Garrett Cross), called Coach Rigsbee at Butte to inquire about Rodgers.andnif anyone was recruiting him. Nobody was, but JT was so impressed that he drove up to Chico the next day.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2582998-from-junior-college-to-1st-round-pick-the-college-recruitment-of-aaron-rodgers

Big C
71Bear said:

Rushinbear said:

71Bear said:

southseasbear said:

71Bear said:

Go!Bears said:

71Bear said:

MoragaBear said:

Everyone COULD HAVE know that, except they weren't paying any attention to Aaron Rodgers, when he was coming out of high school. Schools start noticing prospects their junior years, but that was AR's first year starting and he was teeny-tiny. Then, his senior year, he grew "all the way" up to 6-0, 180... in an out of the way location to boot, and just wasn't getting any attention.

His progression from high school senior, through one year of JC, to starting at Cal a couple of months after arriving on campus was absolutely phenomenal. Rare combination of physical talent and mental make-up. Talk about being able to process information quickly! I wonder if he's ever considered competing on one of those shows like Jeopardy.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.