Sandy and Stadium Renovation, Part II

2,931 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by mbBear
okaydo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.centredaily.com/sports/college/penn-state-university/psu-football/article251735723.html

BearBoarBlarney
Penn State's Beaver Stadium is quite possibly the most hideous-looking football stadium I've ever been to, and I say this as someone who had the misfortune of going to several games at the old Stanford Stadium. To call this stadium an "Erector set" is an insult to the toy. Stadiums like this make me so happy that Cal has the one and only California Memorial Stadium.

Granted Beaver Stadium's hideous appearance is very much in keeping with the hideousness that took place within the facility by Jerry Sandusky under the knowing eyes of Joe Paterno. So high marks for consistency.

bearister
"Beaver Stadium"

I'm not taking that bait. I have evolved.

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
AunBear89
bearister said:

"Beaver Stadium"

I'm not taking that bait. I have evolved.

If jorts and a man bun are evolved, I'm happy to remain a knuckle dragger.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
wifeisafurd
BearBoarBlarney said:

Penn State's Beaver Stadium is quite possibly the most hideous-looking football stadium I've ever been to, and I say this as someone who had the misfortune of going to several games at the old Stanford Stadium. To call this stadium an "Erector set" is an insult to the toy. Stadiums like this make me so happy that Cal has the one and only California Memorial Stadium.

Granted Beaver Stadium's hideous appearance is very much in keeping with the hideousness that took place within the facility by Jerry Sandusky under the knowing eyes of Joe Paterno. So high marks for consistency.

It also may be the coldest for cold weather games and the brick and limestones skins are really needed to prevent the cold winds coming up the rafters, not to mention covering up the erector set appearances.
BearSD
Penn State's plan looks like what TCU did with their stadium to surround the metalworks of the stands.

GivemTheAxe
BearBoarBlarney said:

OK you have found a stadium that gives 49er Stadium a "run for its money" as the ugliest football stadium.
But IMO 49er stadium is still the winner.
At least Penn State tried to hide some part of the "erector set" appearance. 49er stadium puts it all out there in your face. Saying to the world, "we are in no way ashamed of this look."
Golden One
GivemTheAxe said:

BearBoarBlarney said:

OK you have found a stadium that gives 49er Stadium a "run for its money" as the ugliest football stadium.
But IMO 49er stadium is still the winner.
At least Penn State tried to hide some part of the "erector set" appearance. 49er stadium puts it all out there in your face. Saying to the world, "we are in no way ashamed of this look."
Agree. No stadium in the country is uglier than Levi's Stadium.
TomBear
GoldenOne, I agree to an extent. Levi is one of the worst looking monstrosiies of Bay Area architecture I've ever seen (including the boxes that pass for skyscrapers in The City). But believe me there are a lot of ugly stadiums in the U.S. and the potential for a nicer exterior at Beaver Stadium is obviously needed. But it sure does look like the TCU influence is there. It's hard to beat Memorial Stadium for exterior ambience. Honestly, I'm not big on the interior seating but that can be brought up in a later thread.

I'll give Levi one good thing. It has a grass field (as does Beaver Stadium). But that's about all I can say that's positive about the physical appearance.

As a purist, I still hate that the 'Niners are playing outside of The City! They lost The City vibe when they moved.
Fyght4Cal
TIL two terrible facts about Penn State:
1. Their stadium is named Beaver
2. Its exterior is as ugly as sin

Also agree about Levi's. "Is this some kind of sick joke?", was my first reaction.
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
ColoradoBear
BearSD said:

Penn State's plan looks like what TCU did with their stadium to surround the metalworks of the stands.

TCU almost completely demo'ed their old stadium - only the first section of the lower deck (just those rownsitting on ground) were kept, and they retained less of the original structure than did UW or ASU in their renovations.

For those who want to see a monstrosity that makes Levi's look like a Van Gough, the second angle starting around 34 seconds shows that POS in all its glory.

I doubt PSU can keep much of the original structure if they 'remodel' as Beaver Stadium, with the exception of the end zone structure, is a single deck POS and will be replaced if they decide to build the multi-tiered structure that is in those pictures.

I think I just put viewing a stadium demo on my bucket list. Sadly I think one of the next ones to go will be the Oakland Coliseum - I say sadly because it won't be replaced if the city and team can't get their $&#@ together.
mbBear
BearBoarBlarney said:

I would put up with an ugly stadium in exchange for those butts in the seats, and the revenue that follows.
Post removed:
by user
bearister
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
HighlandDutch
bearister said:

Forgive the digression, but I caught part of Black Sunday on TV a few months ago, and I was blown away that the movie used footage of Super Bowl X. Can you imagine that happening today? I wonder how that pitch meeting went...

Movie Producer: Thanks for meeting us. We'd like the NFL's permission to use game footage from a Super Bowl in our movie, which is set at the Super Bowl.

NFL Executive: I don't see that as a problem. Sure.

Movie Producer: Thanks!

NFL Executive: Oh, by the way, what is the film about?

Movie Producer: It's about Middle Eastern terrorists who put a bomb on the Goodyear Blimp and plan to detonate it over the Super Bowl. If the movie is any good, no one will feel safe going inside a football stadium for decades.

NFL Executive: Well, you know what they say...any publicity is good publicity!
mbBear
HighlandDutch said:

bearister said:

Forgive the digression, but I caught part of Black Sunday on TV a few months ago, and I was blown away that the movie used footage of Super Bowl X. Can you imagine that happening today? I wonder how that pitch meeting went...

Movie Producer: Thanks for meeting us. We'd like the NFL's permission to use game footage from a Super Bowl in our movie, which is set at the Super Bowl.

NFL Executive: I don't see that as a problem. Sure.

Movie Producer: Thanks!

NFL Executive: Oh, by the way, what is the film about?

Movie Producer: It's about Middle Eastern terrorists who put a bomb on the Goodyear Blimp and plan to detonate it over the Super Bowl. If the movie is any good, no one will feel safe going inside a football stadium for decades.

NFL Executive: Well, you know what they say...any publicity is good publicity!
The NFL's answer was "yes, as long as your check clears".....
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.