Going to OR Game

3,356 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by going4roses
SonomanA1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
i plan on going to the OR game and was wondering is it better to buy tickets through Cal and sit in the visitor section or go on Stubhub and get tickets closer to the Cal bench? I already bought tickets on Southwest from Oakland to Eugene.

Go Bears!
Chabbear
If you want to be around Cal fans (and have the worst seats in the stadium) order through Cal. Otherwise, stubhub might be better. Bring rain gear and if we are ahead and it is at night, be prepared for them to turn off the lights to screw with Cal. Nope not bitter at all about that game.
Go Bears
NVBear78
Sit in the Cal section, it's always best to represent with your team at away games even if the seats aren't so hot. I took our two boys and we watched Cal beat Oregon at Eugene the last time we won there and we had a fantastic time. We got seats higher up in the section and the view wasn't bad.
71Bear
NVBear78 said:

Sit in the Cal section, it's always best to represent with your team at away games even if the seats aren't so hot. I took our two boys and we watched Cal beat Oregon at Eugene the last time we won there and we had a fantastic time. We got seats higher up in the section and the view wasn't bad.
The Cal section was a great vantage point from which to see the Ezeff play. It took place right in front of us.
Lomiton
Oregon fan is in the game physically and emotionally. If they are winning you are going to get tired if sitting with them. Unfortunately you aren't going to get the same courtesy if things go the other way.

That is until they leave early yelling over their shoulders about how they are going to hire Wilcox next week because we have Phil Knight and Phil won't stand for this!

Visitor seats at Autzen are as bad as one can get but again, sit with friends. If you sit in the Cal section that is one less ticket sold to hayseed bandwagon Duck fan who never seem to have a clue they are surrounded by a couple thousand visitors who hate the Ducks.
kirklandblue
NVBear78 said:

Agree with this- you'll definitely be in the worst seats but if you're going to an away game makes sense to add your voice to those also supporting the Bears away from home. I've found after a couple of away games in "better seats" I just prefer feeling free to jump up and cheer when something good happens instead of feeling self-conscious because you're surrounded by people in the other team's colors, some of whom feel free to be jerks. Plus it's enjoyable to meet other Cal Bears. I've met parents of several players and you can tell they appreciate the support and interest of Bear fans. No more "better seats" for me.
Goobear
Don't sit with Ducks fans. Last time we were there we sat in the parent player section and we had a family member grand parent rooting for the Ducks although his grand child was on the Cal team. That one guy was so annoying and bless my wife telling the guy he should be ashamed he is rooting against his grandson. Well some more Duck fans came into our section and it ruined the experience for us.

Prior to the game I walked around the stadium and realized all these people have is football, mountains, streams and woods. Football is their day out in the town.

After the game, the fans really showed their class as there is a section for the away team parents to meet up with their players. They know where the section is and made their way over there just to shout out the usual superlatives and profanities and it almost came to blows.

I get pissed off writing about it.
71Bear
Interesting

I guess times have changed. After the '07 game, I spoke to a number of UO fans on my way back to my car. All of them were complimentary about what Tedford was doing at Cal and that it was a good game. As for the Eugene environment, I guess it is all in the eye of the beholder. Mountains, streams and woods sound a lot better to me than endless traffic and overcrowded cities.
LateHit
Southwest flies to Eugene?
WalterSobchak
My experience inside Autzen in '07 was fine. We sat in the Cal section. Walking in was fine, as was walking out. Then we went out to dinner. They had TVs on and were playing other games. We were watching and I guess commenting about how our day/win might be enhanced depending on the outcomes of other games. This drew the ire of the booth next to ours, who made it clear we weren't allowed to be excited about the win or talk too much about it. It got to the point that the waitstaff had to intervene, and I told the people I was with that when we were ready to leave we had to just get up and immediately walk out. No lingering. (We were two couples; they were all men.) They were a bit taken aback. Sure enough, when we got up the men followed us out cursing and threatening us while we walked away. Luckily we were right across the street from our hotel ("downtown" Hilton) so we were able to quickly walk in and go up to our rooms. On the plus side we rode the elevator with Marv Jones, who was there on an official visit to Oregon. All I said to him was, "I hope we turned this into a Cal visit today." He just smiled. The next day my wife and I drove down to Ashland and went out to lunch. My wife was wearing a hoodie with a large script Cal logo and they basically refused to serve us by simply ignoring our table for over 20 min until we just left. Then, years later, sitting in our seats at Memorial on the west side we had a very telling experience with a family of Duck fans sitting in the row in front of us. They were fine, but they were all dressed head to toe in brand new Cal gear and only cheered for Oregon in the most meek and subdued way. Sometime around midway through the first half I leaned down and said: "This isn't Autzen, you can openly cheer for your own team here."

Husky fans, on the other hand, I have had numerous heated exchanges with in the stands at Memorial as they feel compelled to let everyone know how little else they have going on in their lives besides clinging to the dream that UW will one day get to relive the Don James era. Never been to Husky Stadium and probably never will.
Lomiton
WalterSobchak said:

Husky fans, on the other hand, I have had numerous heated exchanges with in the stands at Memorial as they feel compelled to let everyone know how little else they have going on in their lives besides clinging to the dream that UW will one day get to relive the Don James era. Never been to Husky Stadium and probably never will.

Husky fan is, on average, 10x worse than Oregon fan. Where this entitlement came from, I have no idea.

It's never a bad day when UDub loses.

As for Husky Stadium, it's a brutal experience for visiting fans. Although it was almost worthwhile early one Sunday morning to hear my brother serenade drenched Husky fans with "Bear Territory" on their way out of the stadium...
Hail2Calif
The only Pac12 Stadium I have never been to is Oregon State.

After the 2008 USC Game I almost always purchase better seats and find that most sections will have a few Cal fans and most opposing fans can appreciate someone who roots for the visitors in a generally respectful way.

I say "almost always" because Autzen is the one Pac12 venue I will sit in the visitor section because of poor experiences.

Perhaps I have been lucky, but I go to at least one, and sometimes two OCC games a season and have never had a truly bad experience.

So yes, Autzen is my outlier, and based on others' stories here, should be enjoyed from the visitor section only

If my daughter wasn't getting married the next day, I would be joining you in the Cal section this year.

GO BEARS!
Fyght4Cal
I've never wished to be in the Cal section more than in 1994 at Sun Devil Stadium. It was brutal. I was heckled relentlessly by a guy sitting a few rows in front of me. They clinched the Rose Bowl that day. They tore down the goalpost, carried it out of the stadium, and paraded it down the street.

This year we're headed to Husky Stadium for the first time. Definitely buying our tix from the Gold Standard.
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
Goobear
WalterSobchak said:

My experience inside Autzen in '07 was fine. We sat in the Cal section. Walking in was fine, as was walking out. Then we went out to dinner. They had TVs on and were playing other games. We were watching and I guess commenting about how our day/win might be enhanced depending on the outcomes of other games. This drew the ire of the booth next to ours, who made it clear we weren't allowed to be excited about the win or talk too much about it. It got to the point that the waitstaff had to intervene, and I told the people I was with that when we were ready to leave we had to just get up and immediately walk out. No lingering. (We were two couples; they were all men.) They were a bit taken aback. Sure enough, when we got up the men followed us out cursing and threatening us while we walked away. Luckily we were right across the street from our hotel ("downtown" Hilton) so we were able to quickly walk in and go up to our rooms. On the plus side we rode the elevator with Marv Jones, who was there on an official visit to Oregon. All I said to him was, "I hope we turned this into a Cal visit today." He just smiled. The next day my wife and I drove down to Ashland and went out to lunch. My wife was wearing a hoodie with a large script Cal logo and they basically refused to serve us by simply ignoring our table for over 20 min until we just left. Then, years later, sitting in our seats at Memorial on the west side we had a very telling experience with a family of Duck fans sitting in the row in front of us. They were fine, but they were all dressed head to toe in brand new Cal gear and only cheered for Oregon in the most meek and subdued way. Sometime around midway through the first half I leaned down and said: "This isn't Autzen, you can openly cheer for your own team here."

As a player parent we have experienced abusive fans in Oregon at both stadiums. The University of Washington was not even that bad. The other stadiums and out of conference stadiums did not come even close. Also I am talking 2014-2018. Not 2007.
LawoftheBear
I dress in all Cal gear and scream my heart out until I lose my voice in enemy territory. I have done it over and over again. Usually somebody is there that looks like they are ready to physically challenge me and violently shut me up.

For many years I had an ace in the back pocket that I finally used up in our last win at USC.

I am 6'3" and about 220 lbs. I had some shoes that accidentally elevated me about 3 inches. I started wearing them only to Cal games in enemy territory. I would wear extra thick upper clothing that perhaps made me look a lot heavier. I came off looking 6'6", 260. When somebody would start glaring with a violin look I would make sure two look my biggest when I stood up to cheer the next big play.

I know that I personally would not mess with somebody that looks approximately 6'6" iand 260 pounds. It kept me safe in enemy territory for many years.

At our last big win at USC my shoes broke. It was a great time! I am getting older. At some point I need to let younger Bear fans carry this torch.
ColoradoBear
LawoftheBear said:

I am 6'3" and about 220 lbs. I had some shoes that accidentally elevated me about 3 inches. I started wearing them only to Cal games in enemy territory. I would wear extra thick upper clothing that perhaps made me look a lot heavier. I came off looking 6'6", 260. When somebody would start glaring with a violin look I would make sure two look my biggest when I stood up to cheer the next big play.

I know that I personally would not mess with somebody that looks approximately 6'6" iand 260 pounds. It kept me safe in enemy territory for many years.

I think I saw you at a golf tournament a while back.
SonomanA1
Thanks for everyones' input. Southwest just started flying to Eugene from Oakland, so I thought I would give it a try. I flew into Portland for the Oregon State game that I attended. I still need to visit WSU and Utah before I will have been to all of the Pac12 football stadiums.

Only 2 times did I have a bad experience at away games. The only time I attended a game at ASU and that was in the visitor section. ASU fans were throwing full water bottles at Cal fans.The other time was at USC in the visitor section when a Cal fan brought a USC fan who was obnoxious.I have sat several times closer to the visiting team's bench, and it was fine.

Cal will be selling tickets tomorrow to season ticket holders. I will decide then what tickets to get. I am not very intimidating since I have reached my golden years. Does anyone have recommendations on where to stay and eat in Eugene? I am flying in on Thursday and leaving on Monday. What is worth visiting in Eugene?

I am surprised someone had a bad experince in Ashland. That is the home of Southern Oregon University and the Oregon Shakespeare Festival. I took a couple of classes as SOU and have attended the plays. Ashland needs tourist from California. I plan on going to the Oregon Wine Experience someday.

Go Bears!
WalterSobchak
SonomanA1 said:

I am surprised someone had a bad experince in Ashland. That is the home of Southern Oregon University and the Oregon Shakespeare Festival. I took a couple of classes as SOU and have attended the plays. Ashland needs tourist from California. I plan on going to the Oregon Wine Experience someday.

Go Bears!
What is worth seeing in Eugene? IMO Autzen for a Cal win and then the airport or I-5 South onramp. (I used to live there.)

We've been to Ashland / Talent / Phoenix / Medford many times. Only when wearing a Cal sweatshirt after a Cal win did we have any problems. (Well the pizza place in Talent is a little odd if you're not an everyday local but at least they still serve you.) If you've spent time there you probably already know this, but for others Taj of Ashland is great. Gets my vote for dinner every time. They have many good restaurants in town but their tandoori tikka is one of the best I've had anywhere.
LateHit
And yet people wearing red in the student section in Berkeley go unchallenged these days
Strawberry Canyon
I guess all football stadiums have over zealous fans. I've even heard people from other fan bases complain about the treatment they've received at Memorial. However, it is also true that all stadiums have friendly hospitable fans. It all comes down to the luck of the draw of where you sit, and the disappointment of the fan base. I watched the '07 Oregon game on TV. It would be the kind close and disappointing ending that might stir up emotions for Oregon fans who had too much to drink. Based upon my trips to Autzen, I'd say that my experiences at Autzen have been better than average.

If you are in Eugene and looking for something to see, Hayward Field would have to top the list. I have been up for major track meets at Hayward Field. In the world of track and field, that is a bucket list experience. The old stadium was recently replaced. The new stadium is unbelievable. There is a museum at the stadium. I am unsure of the hours that the museum is open or available to the public. There is also a 10 story tower that looks like an Olympic torch at the stadium....or maybe it's a baton....anyway they have rides to the top available...but I don't know the hours or days. I have heard the new stadium referred to as the finest track specific stadium in the world. It is certainly the finest college track stadium in the world. If nothing else, take a quick drive by it. That stadium will be hosting the Track and Field World Championships next summer. That will be the first time that the US has hosted that event.

There are some interesting museums on the campus. I have heard that the museum of natural history is a good one.It is fairly near to the track stadium. I plan to see that the next time that I am up for a Cal game or a major track meet. I have seen the art museum on campus and enjoyed that. I think that they have other museums as well, but I forget which ones.

Anyway, I hope this helps. Go Bears!
drizzlybears brother
Have been doing the Oregon alternating games for 20 years, road tripping from Seattle as well as the UW and WSU venues. All are fun and worth doing, but UO has been the most challenging. UW second. Wazzu often too cold to justify the trip. OSU hands down the most consistently pleasant experience.
SonomanA1
drizzlybears brother said:

Have been doing the Oregon alternating games for 20 years, road tripping from Seattle as well as the UW and WSU venues. All are fun and worth doing, but UO has been the most challenging. UW second. Wazzu often too cold to justify the trip. OSU hands down the most consistently pleasant experience.
Challenging in what way? I plan on going to Wazzu when the game is earlier in the season and the same for Utah. I am hoping the weather will be decent then.
Hail2Calif
SonomanA1 said:

drizzlybears brother said:

Challenging in what way? I plan on going to Wazzu when the game is earlier in the season and the same for Utah. I am hoping the weather will be decent then.

Getting to WSU is the biggest hurdle, so I think a late season game with the possibility of a night game scheduled 6 or 12 days out stops me most years.

Last time I did go was 2014 when the Goff led Bears won 60-59 after WSU missed a chip shot FG at the end of the game.

I remember screaming with all the Cal fans I was with to let WSU score so that Goff would have time left for the winning TD.

Thankfully I learned that night what the phrase, "Cougn' it" really meant

With that said, Pullman is beautiful in the Fall
going4roses
LateHit said:

Yep
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
Gobears49
going4roses said:

LateHit said:

Yeas.p
Since the Southwest flights to Eugene might get sold out, fly up a day or so early and go wine tasting, though Eugene may be a couple of hours south of the best wine areas. Beaverton would be closer in that regard.

For those who are bringing up a teenager, or even younger, get to the stadium early so you all can go into the big fieldhouse Oregon has so they can kick field goals indoors. My son really liked that. Hopefully Cal alumni will offer a tailgater.

There should be a thread that discusses where the best road trips in the Pac 12 are for football. I've been to four, with Oregon right up there. Eugene is a mid-sized town with decent amenities, a nice campus, and decent stadium area, all by itsel next to the campusf. UCLA is the worst, with the stadium (Rose Bowl) to far away from everything and not next to a college campus. There, I've started off that discussion.
going4roses
Trying to go up and kill two birds w/ one stone

The win over the duckies

And checking out the campus (thinking of applying to one of their grad programs)
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.