Beloved Cal Bear joins Washington Football Team

2,881 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by mbBear
okaydo
How long do you want to ignore this user?

joe amos yaks
Go M. Silver.
Beardog26
I had the pleasure on July 1 at GarWoods at Lake Tahoe of visiting with former Cal Football teammates Ron Rivera and Richard "Rock" Rodgers. Two sturdy Golden Bears, great mentors to younger and less experienced teammates, and fantastic men! It was really cool to catch up with those guys!! Mike Silver made a good decision!
BearGoggles
Mike Silver has made a career primarily on the happenstance of who he knows and ingratiates himself to by overt ass kissing. That alone doesn't bother me - applies to a fair amount of people actually. But the arrogance he displays in the process is both surprising and not justified.

okaydo
BearGoggles said:

Mike Silver has made a career primarily on the happenstance of who he knows and ingratiates himself to by overt ass kissing. That alone doesn't bother me - applies to a fair amount of people actually. But the arrogance he displays in the process is both surprising and not justified.

The title of this thread was intended to be sarcastic since I've been blocked by Silver on Twitter for a few years over something really dumb. (I follow him on a different account.)

I agree that he's arrogant, but his ability to be trustworthy to a wide swath of people is why he's been good at his job. It's a good skill to have if you're a journalist and you want to stand out and make yourself hard to fire by producing information nobody else has.

Again, I say this from the point of being blocked by him. His new job has prompted him to unblock a lot of people. And I'm wondering if I should ask for it, but I'm leaning against it.
mbBear
BearGoggles said:

Simply not accurate. He worked his way up the ladder, interning, working some small markets, and proving his writing skills time and time again. Measure his journalism through an objective perspective, and he is on par with anyone out there doing it right now.
His Twitter persona is simply one of not taking any bs because there is no rule that he has to; what is probably more shocking that others don't do the same. Not everyone agrees with that position, I understand that.
And, this seems always lost on Cal fans for some reason: there is no one who is appearing (on a semi-regular basis) in the public eye who spreads the Cal spirit as often as he does. His NFL Net appearances feature a Cal helmet, and he tweets about all Cal sports if there is even a small amount of success.
bluehenbear
He still works for NFL Network? How does that work?
mbBear
bluehenbear said:

He still works for NFL Network? How does that work?
He hasn't clarified that, but before he was getting paid by the league, but I suppose now you just add to that some money from one of the teams.
BearGoggles
mbBear said:

BearGoggles said:

Simply not accurate. He worked his way up the ladder, interning, working some small markets, and proving his writing skills time and time again. Measure his journalism through an objective perspective, and he is on par with anyone out there doing it right now.
His Twitter persona is simply one of not taking any bs because there is no rule that he has to; what is probably more shocking that others don't do the same. Not everyone agrees with that position, I understand that.
And, this seems always lost on Cal fans for some reason: there is no one who is appearing (on a semi-regular basis) in the public eye who spreads the Cal spirit as often as he does. His NFL Net appearances feature a Cal helmet, and he tweets about all Cal sports if there is even a small amount of success.
LOL - my opinion is "not accurate" and yours is objective. OK.

Silver is a shill for those he's close to - as I said in my original post he ingratiates himself with those people by essentially agreeing to write flattering/helpful pieces for them. The fact that he's close to many Cal alums (Rivera, Goff, Arod) and therefore shills for Cal doesn't change the fact that he's a shill. Is that good for Cal? Maybe/probably. Does that make him a good journalist? Not really, because his reporting is basically a mouthpiece for the people he's sucking up to.

Silver thought Sean McVay was great until . . . he and Goff and had a falling out at which point Silver's reporting was suddenly less complementary of McVay - because Silver was basically "reporting" the Goff side of the story.

Because of this dynamic, Silver's reporting has limited value - he offers a biased perspective in service of his sources. His entire career is tied to cultivating his sources by ass kissing. And its rather sad that the thing he's seemingly most proud of in professional life is his relationship with a guy he met in high school who later became famous.

In terms of twitter, I haven't followed him in years, but he was incredibly thin skinned and arrogant anytime someone disagreed with his point of view or offered criticism. Not a good look - particularly for a journalist who is so free about offering his own harsh opinions/criticisms.
maxer
Honestly this feels like a step down in terms of media visibility for him.
okaydo
maxer said:

Honestly this feels like a step down in terms of media visibility for him.

He's still working for the NFL Network. But he's now contributing to the Washington Football Team's in-house media coverage.

He's still "NFL Network's Mike Silver."

Some national reporters do this on a part-time basis.

Before he died, legendary sports illustrated NFL writer Don Banks worked for the New England Patriots' media team.

ESPN's Mina Kimes and NFL Network and Red Zone's Andrew Siciliano are employed by the Rams to do preseason games.

calfanz
I agree! Mike Silver is a narcissistic fool, who shills as a Cal fan. I once posted something about Dykes, and he blocked, me. As if it's ok if he has his views, but I can't have mine.

He is an ass kisser, who occasionally has a piece of journalism.
mbBear
BearGoggles said:

mbBear said:

BearGoggles said:

Silver is a shill for those he's close to - as I said in my original post he ingratiates himself with those people by essentially agreeing to write flattering/helpful pieces for them. The fact that he's close to many Cal alums (Rivera, Goff, Arod) and therefore shills for Cal doesn't change the fact that he's a shill. Is that good for Cal? Maybe/probably. Does that make him a good journalist? Not really, because his reporting is basically a mouthpiece for the people he's sucking up to.

Silver thought Sean McVay was great until . . . he and Goff and had a falling out at which point Silver's reporting was suddenly less complementary of McVay - because Silver was basically "reporting" the Goff side of the story.

Because of this dynamic, Silver's reporting has limited value - he offers a biased perspective in service of his sources. His entire career is tied to cultivating his sources by ass kissing. And its rather sad that the thing he's seemingly most proud of in professional life is his relationship with a guy he met in high school who later became famous.

In terms of twitter, I haven't followed him in years, but he was incredibly thin skinned and arrogant anytime someone disagreed with his point of view or offered criticism. Not a good look - particularly for a journalist who is so free about offering his own harsh opinions/criticisms.

Never said anything about your opinion. You stated facts about his career path that I know aren't true. I don't care if you hate him, but a false narrative is not an opinion.
BearGoggles
mbBear said:

BearGoggles said:

mbBear said:

BearGoggles said:

Never said anything about your opinion. You stated facts about his career path that I know aren't true. I don't care if you hate him, but a false narrative is not an opinion.
Me: "Mike Silver has made a career primarily on the happenstance of who he knows and ingratiates himself to by overt ass kissing."

You: "Simply not accurate. He worked his way up the ladder, interning, working some small markets, and proving his writing skills time and time again. Measure his journalism through an objective perspective, and he is on par with anyone out there doing it right now."

The fact that you can't see these are both primarily opinions is astounding. And for the record, what I said is not to the exclusion of him working his way up the ladder in small markets - by ass kissing and trading on his fake fluffer friendships with Cal athletes.

You: "Proving his writing skills time and time again." - I could point out that he proved they were bad imo. But beyond that, you meant it as a compliment and that is ONE HUNDRED PERCENT OPINION since you are judging his writing skills.

You: "he is on par with anyone out there doing it right now" - How is that not an opinion, comparing journalists and making an assessment?

The only factual statement you made was that he worked in small markets. Everything else is your conclusion/spinning/opinion - even "working his way up the ladder" is a bit subjective (and totally irrelevant as to whether he's an ass kisser).

mbBear
BearGoggles said:

mbBear said:

BearGoggles said:

mbBear said:

BearGoggles said:

Me: "Mike Silver has made a career primarily on the happenstance of who he knows and ingratiates himself to by overt ass kissing."

You: "Simply not accurate. He worked his way up the ladder, interning, working some small markets, and proving his writing skills time and time again. Measure his journalism through an objective perspective, and he is on par with anyone out there doing it right now."

The fact that you can't see these are both primarily opinions is astounding. And for the record, what I said is not to the exclusion of him working his way up the ladder in small markets - by ass kissing and trading on his fake fluffer friendships with Cal athletes.

You: "Proving his writing skills time and time again." - I could point out that he proved they were bad imo. But beyond that, you meant it as a compliment and that is ONE HUNDRED PERCENT OPINION since you are judging his writing skills.

You: "he is on par with anyone out there doing it right now" - How is that not an opinion, comparing journalists and making an assessment?

The only factual statement you made was that he worked in small markets. Everything else is your conclusion/spinning/opinion - even "working his way up the ladder" is a bit subjective (and totally irrelevant as to whether he's an ass kisser).

Again, my "not accurate" ONLY refers to his career path. Whether you like his writing skills or "on par" are certainly my and your opinion. If you think his writing is complete trash, that's just fine-don't read him or his tweets. I read both, I enjoy both.
But you are trying to create a narrative saying that, in fact, and his path was based on who he knows. I don't have an opinion about that-I have facts. I don't see how his path isn't anything by "working his way up" and as have many former Daily Cal Sports writers. And, again, relative to my information(ie. facts) about the industry, there isn't a significant path deviation relative to the folks on par with him today.
And again: he supports Cal unconditionally...I think that counts for something.
okaydo
mbBear said:

BearGoggles said:

mbBear said:

BearGoggles said:

mbBear said:

BearGoggles said:

Again, my "not accurate" ONLY refers to his career path. Whether you like his writing skills or "on par" are certainly my and your opinion. If you think his writing is complete trash, that's just fine-don't read him or his tweets. I read both, I enjoy both.
But you are trying to create a narrative saying that, in fact, and his path was based on who he knows. I don't have an opinion about that-I have facts. I don't see how his path isn't anything by "working his way up" and as have many former Daily Cal Sports writers. And, again, relative to my information(ie. facts) about the industry, there isn't a significant path deviation relative to the folks on par with him today.

The way you make yourself valuable and unfireable in journalism is to have a lot of information nobody else has. Silver getting to know a lot of people in the NFL world and getting them to give him information is a skill. Is he biased? Well, yes, there's a lot of bias in journalism. And you're probably going to favor your sources, as seen in the Trump years.

Another skill is getting prominent people to say something they later regret. I remember when Silver got Matt Leinart to say some not so great things about his situation at the Arizona Cardinals -- that Leinart had to walk back.

Again, Silver's skills are valuable and kind of rare.

mbBear
okaydo said:

mbBear said:

BearGoggles said:

mbBear said:

BearGoggles said:

mbBear said:

BearGoggles said:

The way you make yourself valuable and unfireable in journalism is to have a lot of information nobody else has. Silver getting to know a lot of people in the NFL world and getting them to give him information is a skill. Is he biased? Well, yes, there's a lot of bias in journalism. And you're probably going to favor your sources, as seen in the Trump years.

Another skill is getting prominent people to say something they later regret. I remember when Silver got Matt Leinart to say some not so great things about his situation at the Arizona Cardinals -- that Leinart had to walk back.

See, you even have experts in Journalism on here...who knew? I wish I had more encounters with the field, so I could post accordingly...oh well, another life time I guess...
BearGoggles
mbBear said:

okaydo said:

mbBear said:

BearGoggles said:

mbBear said:

BearGoggles said:

mbBear said:

BearGoggles said:

See, you even have experts in Journalism on here...who knew? I wish I had more encounters with the field, so I could post accordingly...oh well, another life time I guess...
People who agree with me = fellow experts. LMAO.

I never posted "facts" about his career path - so your saying I was inaccurate is, as you like to say, a false narrative.

And for a guy who has made himself unfireable, Silver sure has made a lot of lateral moves. The most recent move seems like a demotion of sorts.

In terms of Silver, pretty much everything you need to know is epitomized by the tweet pinned to his profile which makes sure everyone knows he has a famous friend. I actually feel sorry for him - sad that so much of his identity and career is tied to being able to tell people he's (sort of) friends with famous people because he's an ass kisser.
okaydo
BearGoggles said:

mbBear said:

okaydo said:

mbBear said:

BearGoggles said:

mbBear said:

BearGoggles said:

mbBear said:

BearGoggles said:

I never posted "facts" about his career path - so your saying I was inaccurate is, as you like to say, a false narrative.

And for a guy who has made himself unfireable, Silver sure has made a lot of lateral moves. The most recent move seems like a demotion of sorts.

In terms of Silver, pretty much everything you need to know is epitomized by the tweet pinned to his profile which makes sure everyone knows he has a famous friend. I actually feel sorry for him - sad that so much of his identity and career is tied to being able to tell people he's (sort of) friends with famous people because he's an ass kisser.

He keeping his current job at the NFL Network and he has added a side gig at the Washington Football Team. How is that a demotion?

And lateral moves? Sports Illustrated is a shell of its former self, having laid off much of its staff. Yahoo Sports actually once did great journalism, but it to is a shell of its former self.

It's better to be employed by a multi-billion-dollar company that is raking in money than be out in the wild for a money-losing journalism outfit.

Besides, he gets to be on TV regularly, which increases his profile and value.

He went from a legacy print publication to a dot-com, which had deeper pockets. Then he went to NFL Media, which has even deeper pockets. He's "talent." So he's making lots and lots more money than before.
mbBear
BearGoggles said:

mbBear said:

okaydo said:

mbBear said:

BearGoggles said:

mbBear said:

BearGoggles said:

mbBear said:

BearGoggles said:

You said his career was based on ass kissing and who he knew. I thought you stated that as fact. I know for a fact that it isn't true. If that is only your opinion, then, sure, you win.
mbBear
okaydo said:

mbBear said:

BearGoggles said:

mbBear said:

BearGoggles said:

mbBear said:

BearGoggles said:

My post to you was sarcastic and didn't realize it was your post... you in fact do have insight into the profession... sorry about that.
BearGoggles
mbBear said:

BearGoggles said:

mbBear said:

okaydo said:

mbBear said:

BearGoggles said:

mbBear said:

BearGoggles said:

mbBear said:

BearGoggles said:

You said his career was based on ass kissing and who he knew. I thought you stated that as fact. I know for a fact that it isn't true. If that is only your opinion, then, sure, you win.
I know for a fact he's an arrogant ass kissing shill who writes puff pieces. See how that works.

And the funny thing is, you don't really deny it. You just claim he paid his dues by "climbing the ladder and working his way up."
mbBear
BearGoggles said:

mbBear said:

BearGoggles said:

mbBear said:

okaydo said:

mbBear said:

BearGoggles said:

mbBear said:

BearGoggles said:

mbBear said:

BearGoggles said:

I know for a fact he's an arrogant ass kissing shill who writes puff pieces. See how that works.

And the funny thing is, you don't really deny it. You just claim he paid his dues by "climbing the ladder and working his way up."
I don't know what your personal experiences are with him, people he worked with, or people he worked for.
I know what mine are....so, if you feel like you speak from experience, and first hand knowledge, then great, so I don't know what I need to "see what works;" you don't have to take anything I say as factual, especially if your facts are as solid as "just look at his twitter pic." (Because no other Cal fan wouldn't post a picture with A. Rodgers).
Um, not sure how my first post didn't claim that his abilities go beyond puff pieces...but, again, you are certainly entitled to have an opinion on his most recent or historical pieces, written or TV.
You want him to be an *******. You want him to be crappy at his job. You aren't willing to talk about his Cal support. There are others who address all of those points and pay him good money...have your agenda, I'm happy to say you won the point.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.