Nick Rolovich

2,930 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by oski003
okaydo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
91Cal
Interesting...refusing to answer questions on the topic for a public employee who is almost certainly in the top 10 most highly compensated on the state payroll would seem problematic for boss/employer.

So many questions about what measures are being taken to protect coworkers, employees, er...players, staff and, when the season begins, referees and players for opposing teams.
okaydo
okaydo
Not all college football Nicks are created equal.

GivemTheAxe
okaydo said:

I hope that the PAC-12 adopts the SEC rule on forfeits. Assuming Covid testing is carried out for all teams in the PAC-12, at the end of the season the WSU AD might take a negative view on Nick's decision.
touchdownbears43
What. An. Idiot.

10/10 chance he gets COVID this season
calumnus
touchdownbears43 said:

What. An. Idiot.

His leaving Hawaii for WSU now makes even more sense.
BearForce2
calumnus said:

touchdownbears43 said:

What. An. Idiot.

I thought it had something to do with the 5 year, $15 million, 400% salary increase.
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
calumnus
BearForce2 said:

calumnus said:

touchdownbears43 said:

What. An. Idiot.

I thought it had something to do with the 5 year, $15 million, 400% salary increase.

Yes, though his Initial Hawaii salary was going to get a big bump if he stayed, that is why I said "makes even more sense."
kirklandblue
Expands our understanding of "Coug-it"?
YLS Bear
Hate to say it, but well said.
concernedparent
YLS Bear said:

Hate to say it, but well said.
It was certainly an eloquent way of saying "I am a ****ing idiot."
Doc-From-74
He's afraid of needles.
calumnus
From his Wikipedia page:

Rolovich is known for his zany personality, where he brought a tarot card reader, a Britney Spears impersonator, and an Elvis Presley impersonator to Mountain West Conference Media Days during his head coaching days at Hawaii.[15][16] During the COVID-19 pandemic, Rolovich went around Washington State University's Pullman campus on a bicycle FaceTimeing a recruit with a phone taped to his bike helmet to show the recruit what Pullman and the campus looked like.[17]

During the COVID-19 pandemic, student athletes of the Pac-12 Conference formed a unity group to negotiate with the conference to get more fair treatment for student athletes ranging from COVID-19 safety protocols to racial equality messages under the threat of opting out of the fall season with the hashtag #WeAreUnited.[18]On August 2, 2020, Washington State wide receiver Kassidy Woods alleged that head coach Nick Rolovich threatened his status on the team, while also being removed from the team chats and being told to clear out his locker.[19] Woods also released an audio conversation between him and Rolovich to the Dallas Morning News, where Rolovich was understanding of Woods opting out due to COVID-19 but was still critical of the unity group.[20] Rolovich said in a statement that the said conversation between him and Woods occurred before the release of the #WeAreUnited group's article, and Washington State spokesman Bill Stephens clarified that Woods did not lose his scholarship or has been cut from the team, while ESPN reported that no one has been cut, but is not allowed to participate in team activities if they choose to opt out due to safety reasons.[21][22]
heartofthebear
touchdownbears43 said:

What. An. Idiot.

My girl friend and life partner has not gotten vaccinated and I'm pretty sure she will not get covid. She is 71. The thing that is threatening her life is her dental condition. A normal person would be in extreme pain and probably hospitalized because of the level of infection. But she is so healthy otherwise that she has been living with it for years. the level is worse now, and we are going out of the states to get emergency care, assuming the INS will grant her an expedited passport. Covid hasn't and probably will not bother her, even if she contracts it.

I got vaccinated but, should she get vaccinated right now, before dealing with the infection, it could tip her over the edge and really hurt her (talking side effects here). Hopefully she'll get vaccinated once she is done with her dental care.

Nick may be an idiot, but that doesn't mean he'll get covid. And I'm reticent to judge somebody without having a conversation with them.

Based on my prior experiences from this board regarding this issue, I know there is a great deal of passion regarding vaccinations. I would just ask that people have more humility and respect regarding those with opinions that vary from theirs.

The "I know more than you and you're an idiot" refrain here is so tired and worn out. And it does nothing to enhance credibility. In fact it does the opposite.

Besides, if he cougs it, he cougs it.
heartofthebear
calumnus said:

From his Wikipedia page:

Rolovich is known for his zany personality, where he brought a tarot card reader, a Britney Spears impersonator, and an Elvis Presley impersonator to Mountain West Conference Media Days during his head coaching days at Hawaii.[15][16] During the COVID-19 pandemic, Rolovich went around Washington State University's Pullman campus on a bicycle FaceTimeing a recruit with a phone taped to his bike helmet to show the recruit what Pullman and the campus looked like.[17]

During the COVID-19 pandemic, student athletes of the Pac-12 Conference formed a unity group to negotiate with the conference to get more fair treatment for student athletes ranging from COVID-19 safety protocols to racial equality messages under the threat of opting out of the fall season with the hashtag #WeAreUnited.[18]On August 2, 2020, Washington State wide receiver Kassidy Woods alleged that head coach Nick Rolovich threatened his status on the team, while also being removed from the team chats and being told to clear out his locker.[19] Woods also released an audio conversation between him and Rolovich to the Dallas Morning News, where Rolovich was understanding of Woods opting out due to COVID-19 but was still critical of the unity group.[20] Rolovich said in a statement that the said conversation between him and Woods occurred before the release of the #WeAreUnited group's article, and Washington State spokesman Bill Stephens clarified that Woods did not lose his scholarship or has been cut from the team, while ESPN reported that no one has been cut, but is not allowed to participate in team activities if they choose to opt out due to safety reasons.[21][22]
Well, it looks like they found their Mike Leach replacement.
BearForce2
calumnus said:

From his Wikipedia page:

The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
82gradDLSdad
okaydo said:

Let's take it one step further, not getting vaccinated hurts the human team. Listen, I get it, the vaccine may have some negative ramifications. But it's the best choice we have right now based on all we know. And it's best for the human race, the team that really matters.
touchdownbears43
heartofthebear said:

touchdownbears43 said:

What. An. Idiot.

My girl friend and life partner has not gotten vaccinated and I'm pretty sure she will not get covid. She is 71. The thing that is threatening her life is her dental condition. A normal person would be in extreme pain and probably hospitalized because of the level of infection. But she is so healthy otherwise that she has been living with it for years. the level is worse now, and we are going out of the states to get emergency care, assuming the INS will grant her an expedited passport. Covid hasn't and probably will not bother her, even if she contracts it.

I got vaccinated but, should she get vaccinated right now, before dealing with the infection, it could tip her over the edge and really hurt her (talking side effects here). Hopefully she'll get vaccinated once she is done with her dental care.

Nick may be an idiot, but that doesn't mean he'll get covid. And I'm reticent to judge somebody without having a conversation with them.

Based on my prior experiences from this board regarding this issue, I know there is a great deal of passion regarding vaccinations. I would just ask that people have more humility and respect regarding those with opinions that vary from theirs.

The "I know more than you and you're an idiot" refrain here is so tired and worn out. And it does nothing to enhance credibility. In fact it does the opposite.

Lots to digest here. As a frontline HCW let me say that someone in their 70s who is not vaccinated is the textbook definition of high risk. Certainly comparable to an unvaccinated football coach who is already around no fewer than 70 athletes in locker rooms, gyms, planes, on a daily basis. While I don't presume to know what dental infection your SO is fighting, suffice it to say there are few (if any) dental infections that would preclude someone from getting a COVID vaccine. This isn't a matter of differing opinions - it's a matter of science. Why is there no polio and countless other eradicated diseases in the US? Because of vaccines, not opinions.

Now if the decision to not get vaxxed was made in discussion WITH her physician than I digress. Those who are unvaccinated are THE reason why this pandemic is continuing.

/rant
OneKeg
82gradDLSdad said:

okaydo said:

Let's take it one step further, not getting vaccinated hurts the human team. Listen, I get it, the vaccine may have some negative ramifications. But it's the best choice we have right now based on all we know. And it's best for the human race, the team that really matters.
Well said.
calumnus
touchdownbears43 said:

heartofthebear said:

touchdownbears43 said:

What. An. Idiot.

Lots to digest here. As a frontline HCW let me say that someone in their 70s who is not vaccinated is the textbook definition of high risk. Certainly comparable to an unvaccinated football coach who is already around no fewer than 70 athletes in locker rooms, gyms, planes, on a daily basis. While I don't presume to know what dental infection your SO is fighting, suffice it to say there are few (if any) dental infections that would preclude someone from getting a COVID vaccine. This isn't a matter of differing opinions - it's a matter of science. Why is there no polio and countless other eradicated diseases in the US? Because of vaccines, not opinions.

Now if the decision to not get vaxxed was made in discussion WITH her physician than I digress. Those who are unvaccinated are THE reason why this pandemic is continuing.

/rant

We can only hope that a significant number of he unvaccinated who claim they are waiting for full FDA approval (other than the current emergency approval) will get vaccinated once that occurs. Of course, if it is mRNA vaccines they are concerned about they already have J&J so they most likely will just move the goalpost.
heartofthebear
If folks who get vaccinated can still spread the disease, why is not getting vaccinated the reason why it continues? Also, I tried to make clear that it is not the vaccine risks that are at issue but the discomfort from potential side effects. She is so sensitive that even slight variations in her diet create extreme changes in her level of pain. She is barely managing the pain right now.
concernedparent
heartofthebear said:

If folks who get vaccinated can still spread the disease, why is not getting vaccinated the reason why it continues?
People who wear seat belts still die in car accidents don't they? It lessens the risk of transmission, and over millions and millions of people and encounters, is a big deal.
touchdownbears43
concernedparent said:

heartofthebear said:

If folks who get vaccinated can still spread the disease, why is not getting vaccinated the reason why it continues?
People who wear seat belts still die in car accidents don't they? It lessens the risk of transmission, and over millions and millions of people and encounters, is a big deal.

THIS x10000000000
oskidunker
https://www.cougcenter.com/2021/7/23/22590494/nick-rolovich-contract-wsu-football-covid-19-vaccine
oski003
calumnus said:

touchdownbears43 said:

heartofthebear said:

touchdownbears43 said:

What. An. Idiot.

/rant

We can only hope that a significant number of he unvaccinated who claim they are waiting for full FDA approval (other than the current emergency approval) will get vaccinated once that occurs. Of course, if it is mRNA vaccines they are concerned about they already have J&J so they most likely will just move the goalpost.

The JnJ adenovirus vector vaccine technology has never been approved by the FDA, except under EUA, just like mRNA. I do believe that they have approved it for some uses against Ebola in Africa though. However, like heart said, these are the only and therefore best vaccines we have. Vaccination + masks + social distancing is how we beat the pandemic.
Rushinbear
oski003 said:

calumnus said:

touchdownbears43 said:

heartofthebear said:

touchdownbears43 said:

What. An. Idiot.

/rant

The JnJ adenovirus vector vaccine technology has never been approved by the FDA, except under EUA, just like mRNA. I do believe that they have approved it for some uses against Ebola in Africa though. However, like heart said, these are the only and therefore best vaccines we have. Vaccination + masks + social distancing is how we beat the pandemic.
I realize that masking is the conventional wisdom, but how do you explain the comparison between the minute size of the virus with the wide open mesh of accepted masks? There's at least a thousand-fold difference.

Even if you grant that the virus comes in on a moisture droplet and is caught by the mask, as soon as the droplet dries (seconds?), the virus waltzes right in (or out). And, that's only the droplets that the mask catches.

Add to that the hospitable environment for other viruses, bacteria and molds that a moist mask provides, not to mention the reduction in breathing capacity, and you have something that appears to do more harm than good.

I'm vaxed and put on my mask in order to get in to a dr's apptment, but I feel like an idiot and a sheep. With the CDC and WHO going back and forth on advice, it's getting ridiculous. And, don't tell me about the spike due to the Delta when untested, unvaxed immigrants are pouring across the border and being disbursed to every village and farm.
oski003
Rushinbear said:

oski003 said:

calumnus said:

touchdownbears43 said:

heartofthebear said:

touchdownbears43 said:

What. An. Idiot.

/rant

I realize that masking is the conventional wisdom, but how do you explain the comparison between the minute size of the virus with the wide open mesh of accepted masks? There's at least a thousand-fold difference.

Even if you grant that the virus comes in on a moisture droplet and is caught by the mask, as soon as the droplet dries (seconds?), the virus waltzes right in (or out). And, that's only the droplets that the mask catches.

Add to that the hospitable environment for other viruses, bacteria and molds that a moist mask provides, not to mention the reduction in breathing capacity, and you have something that appears to do more harm than good.

I'm vaxed and put on my mask in order to get in to a dr's apptment, but I feel like an idiot and a sheep. With the CDC and WHO going back and forth on advice, it's getting ridiculous. And, don't tell me about the spike due to the Delta when untested, unvaxed immigrants are pouring across the border and being disbursed to every village and farm.

https://shop.demetech.us/collections/surgical-mask-astm-level-3/products/surgical-mask-astm-level-3?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsqCwpdGN8gIVwAutBh3MQAi9EAQYASABEgIEIPD_BwE

Just wear one of these for like a week and then grab a new one. You will be okay. Hang in there

As for your other comments, just because there are other measures that could slow covid, it doesn't make the measures I posted any less valid.
Rushinbear
oski003 said:

Rushinbear said:

oski003 said:

calumnus said:

touchdownbears43 said:

heartofthebear said:

touchdownbears43 said:

What. An. Idiot.

/rant

https://shop.demetech.us/collections/surgical-mask-astm-level-3/products/surgical-mask-astm-level-3?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsqCwpdGN8gIVwAutBh3MQAi9EAQYASABEgIEIPD_BwE

Just wear one of these for like a week and then grab a new one. You will be okay. Hang in there

As for your other comments, just because there are other measures that could slow covid, it doesn't make the measures I posted any less valid.
Under the circumstances,it looks like you're right, given the powerlessness of the individual in this. The mask isn't going to hurt you (except when it does) and who wants to stand close to other people anyway? But, it's been taken way too far and more and more people are starting to ask themselves questions.
oski003
Rushinbear said:

oski003 said:

Rushinbear said:

oski003 said:

calumnus said:

touchdownbears43 said:

heartofthebear said:

touchdownbears43 said:

What. An. Idiot.

/rant

Under the circumstances,it looks like you're right, given the powerlessness of the individual in this. The mask isn't going to hurt you (except when it does) and who wants to stand close to other people anyway? But, it's been taken way too far and more and more people are starting to ask themselves questions.

I really don't understand how the masks hurt you. How do they if used properly? My two year old wears one, and she seems fine. We swap about four cloth masks for her. They are washed.

https://www.drtalbots.com/cloth-face-mask-ages-2-5-1-pack-unicorns?CAWELAID=120364580000000311&CATARGETID=120364580000000301&CADevice=m&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxuex19SN8gIV1Rx9Ch3rlQDTEAQYFiABEgLDrPD_BwE

https://www.eatthis.com/face-masks-side-effects/

I don't wear them when I exercise, but I only exercise outside. When outside, I rarely wear a mask.
Rushinbear
oski003 said:

Rushinbear said:

oski003 said:

Rushinbear said:

oski003 said:

calumnus said:

touchdownbears43 said:

heartofthebear said:

touchdownbears43 said:

What. An. Idiot.

/rant

I really don't understand how the masks hurt you. How do they if used properly? My two year old wears one, and she seems fine. We swap about four cloth masks for her. They are washed.

https://www.drtalbots.com/cloth-face-mask-ages-2-5-1-pack-unicorns?CAWELAID=120364580000000311&CATARGETID=120364580000000301&CADevice=m&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxuex19SN8gIV1Rx9Ch3rlQDTEAQYFiABEgLDrPD_BwE

I don't wear them when I exercise, but I only exercise outside. When outside, I rarely wear a mask.
I cannot breathe, literally. Tried several kinds, even the N95. Even just casual walking.Sometimes even sitting in a waiting room. Indoors or out. And, I guess you missed how a mask, moist from breathing, becomes a welcoming host for other inhaleable ailments. And, I've talked with/seen others who have to pull their masks down when no one's watching.

Used properly? You think I'm an idiot?

Not to mention the paucity of hard science (hate even having to specify that, but we must these days) on the effectiveness of masks. Certainly, Fauci, CDC and WHO have changed positions on this more than a porn star.
oski003
Rushinbear said:

oski003 said:

Rushinbear said:

oski003 said:

Rushinbear said:

oski003 said:

calumnus said:

touchdownbears43 said:

heartofthebear said:

touchdownbears43 said:

What. An. Idiot.

/rant

I cannot breathe, literally. Tried several kinds, even the N95. Even just casual walking.Sometimes even sitting in a waiting room. Indoors or out. And, I guess you missed how a mask, moist from breathing, becomes a welcoming host for other inhaleable ailments. And, I've talked with/seen others who have to pull their masks down when no one's watching.

Not to mention the paucity of hard science (hate even having to specify that, but we must these days) on the effectiveness of masks. Certainly, Fauci, CDC and WHO have changed positions on this more than a porn star.

If you truly have an underlying lung or respiratory condition that may be exacerbated by a mask, please do your best to limit being in crowds and maintain social distancing.

If you truly believe the mask welcomes a host of ailments, wash or dispose of yours every so often.

I never said you were an idiot.
Bobodeluxe
I read this site several times a day just for the giggles.

Thanks to all.
GivemTheAxe
Rushinbear said:

oski003 said:

Rushinbear said:

oski003 said:

Rushinbear said:

oski003 said:

calumnus said:

touchdownbears43 said:

heartofthebear said:

touchdownbears43 said:

What. An. Idiot.

/rant

I notice that many people on the antivax side of the table cite to changing positions by CDC and WHO.
Maybe they fail to appreciate the fact that Science changes its position all the time. That is the nature of science: the more you learn the more you have to change. Knowledge does not remain static.

One time most Intelligent people have bought that the world was flat.that the earth was the center of the universe. Most of us no longer hold on to those "facts".

The same is true for Covid. It was a brand new disease. Many scientists initially thought that the disease was transmitted primarily through personal contact. Then it was learned that it was transmitted primarily through air (hence the need for masks).

Does that make the scientific community liars. No. It means they were incorrect on their assumptions. They were telling the truth based upon the facts known at the time. This happens all the time in science. With Covid the facts changed quickly because there were many scientists investigating the causes and nature of this particular disease. So one should expect the scientific consensus to change based upon newly discovered facts.

The liars are the people who said in PUBLIC that the
disease would disappear like magic by the summer and there was no need for masks when in PRIVATE they knew that the disease was spread through a person's breath and when they acknowledged that this development was a game changer.

The liars are people who make up alleged "facts"with no scientific basis (or based on intentionally distorted science to accomplish their particular agenda.
Rushinbear
oski003 said:

Rushinbear said:

oski003 said:

Rushinbear said:

oski003 said:

Rushinbear said:

oski003 said:

calumnus said:

touchdownbears43 said:

heartofthebear said:

touchdownbears43 said:

What. An. Idiot.

/rant

If you truly have an underlying lung or respiratory condition that may be exacerbated by a mask, please do your best to limit being in crowds and maintain social distancing.

If you truly believe the mask welcomes a host of ailments, wash or dispose of yours every so often.

I never said you were an idiot.
"...if used properly." If I were on the other side, I would call that a micro-aggression. As it is, I'll just say that it was belittling. Of course, if I were on the other side, I would have broken out the "If even one person dies, ..." by now.

I'm glad that some readers are getting their jollies.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.