Did Wilcox just land on the coaches Hot Seat.....

10,003 Views | 88 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Cal89
Trumpanzee
How long do you want to ignore this user?
First off, I can not believe I waited all year to see Cal get worked and out coached by a MWC team. I had high hopes (like the rest of Cal nation) after the first two drives we would dominate the game. But the biggest problem I have seen from this coaching staff is the ability to let off the pedal and cruise to losses. It seems we always start Strong and try to play catch up the rest of the game. It's hard for me to believe that Nevada made an incredible game adjustment after less than half a quarter? All night commentators were asking "why is Cal not running the ball?" It's almost as if Wilcox is trying to make Chase something more than he is? Is it too early to jump to a different QB? If I were the Cal Prez and or AD I would have Wilcox in my office Monday morning......
socaliganbear
Ive said this game would be the beginning of the end for Wilcox because I didn't have any confidence that he had finally fixed the issues we've had for the last 4 seasons. Nothing he's done gave me that optimism.

THAT said, "beginning of the end" at Cal can mean another 2 seasons of bad football and general irrelevance. So whether he's on the hot seat after this game doesn't mean much.

Sadly, in year 5 of Wilcox, we have not yet exceeded the highs of the last coach we paid millions of dollars to go away. Still not contending, still no winning conference record, still only half of a football program with horrendous ineptitude on the other.
Bobodeluxe
Sonny never had an offense as pedestrian as this team's defense. If Nevada hadn't dropped so many perfect passes, it would have been a blowout.

That said, experts here (rolls eyes up) claim the the recruiting has improved. Cal can't afford to suck, but it also can't afford to move on.

Luckily, the PAC sucks. Unfortunately, the PAC sucks.
westcoast101
Hopefully this year is the last of the Wilcox era.
southseasbear
I wanted Wilcox for thr job even before candidates' names were mentioned. (Sure I would have been thrilled with Peterson, Rivera, or Carroll, but despite rumors I didn't think we had a real chance.). Now that we are I. The 5th year of watching ineptitude, I'm beginning to think he hit his ceiling as defensive coordinator. He should definitely be on a hot seat. And it's time to see what our other QBs can do. Carson Strong could be a legitimate Pac12 QB (who on our coaching staff made the decision to bypass him?); Chase Garbers belongs in the MWC.
bearister
I saw that former coach in WC the day he got that massive buy out payment. He was grinin'.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
wifeisafurd
socaliganbear said:

Ive said this game would be the beginning of the end for Wilcox because I didn't have any confidence that he had finally fixed the issues we've had for the last 4 seasons. Nothing he's done gave me that optimism.

THAT said, "beginning of the end" at Cal can mean another 2 seasons of bad football and general irrelevance. So whether he's on the hot seat after this game doesn't mean much.

Sadly, in year 5 of Wilcox, we have not yet exceeded the highs of the last coach we paid millions of dollars to go away. Still not contending, still no winning conference record, still only half of a football program with horrendous ineptitude on the other.
If he doesn't turn around the offense and special teams play, the Pac is so weak (as yesterday's results sans UCLA acted) Cal still will be able to achieve mediocre. .
LMK5
I just don't understand why Cal didn't keep running the ball. A glance at the stat cheat this morning showed 5.7 rushing yards per attempt. Why in the world would you do anything else when you can grind down their defense (and the clock) with the run game? Why put it in the air at all? I mean, if you've got great receivers who are getting wide open--which we don't have--or a great quarterback with pinpoint accuracy--which we don't have--then sure, put it in the air once in a while to keep the defense honest. What was the rationale behind abandoning the run?

FWIW, Chase Garbers didn't look any more polished or poised than he did in the opener against Davis in 2019. Musgrave hasn't been able to work any magic with him.
The truth lies somewhere between CNN and Fox.
LunchTime
I made a joke after we went up 14 that we were trying to run out the clock with 47 minutes left.

Post game Wilcox said we were running the same plays, they just weren't working.

Neither of those options make me excited for games.
socaliganbear
wifeisafurd said:

socaliganbear said:

If he doesn't turn around the offense and special teams play, the Pac is so weak (as yesterday's results sans UCLA acted) Cal still will be able to achieve mediocre. .

Imo a mediocre season at 6 wins does seem like a success, based on the program Wilcox has actually built.

My rest of season prediction: Don't buy the defense. By years end it will be average at best. Combined with awful everything else, and there are likely 4 beat downs coming our way, along the rest of the losses in our future.
Bobodeluxe
The box was stacked, as the experts here have said.

Run play action, and look to your talented receivers.

Oops, we don't have any.

Oh, well.
Unit2Sucks
I would just note that it's really easy to overreact to early season games, one way or the other. Doesn't mean that this game isn't indicative of how things are going, or that we can't criticize the performance, but that we should be mindful of confidence intervals before declaring this the end of the Wilcox era. Plenty of cause for concern, but I would just hold off on the excessive handwringing after just one stinker.
Trumpanzee
Unit2Sucks said:

I would just note that it's really easy to overreact to early season games, one way or the other. Doesn't mean that this game isn't indicative of how things are going, or that we can't criticize the performance, but that we should be mindful of confidence intervals before declaring this the end of the Wilcox era. Plenty of cause for concern, but I would just hold off on the excessive handwringing after just one stinker.

A 12-1 season would change my mind.....
LMK5
Unit2Sucks said:

Generally agree, but it would be so nice to have Cal looking prepared and sharp right out of the gate--especially in the passing game--just once. I think the dropped pass for a first down on the final drive was emblematic of the passing game. I expect things to get better as they usually do.
LMK5
Makai Polk, I hope you're really happy with yourself!
kelly09
If JT was still here, Carson Strong would be B&G.
71Bear
southseasbear said:

I wanted Wilcox for thr job even before candidates' names were mentioned. (Sure I would have been thrilled with Peterson, Rivera, or Carroll, but despite rumors I didn't think we had a real chance.). Now that we are I. The 5th year of watching ineptitude, I'm beginning to think he hit his ceiling as defensive coordinator. He should definitely be on a hot seat. And it's time to see what our other QBs can do. Carson Strong could be a legitimate Pac12 QB (who on our coaching staff made the decision to bypass him?); Chase Garbers belongs in the MWC.
Strong would be a legitimate QB in any conference in the country. I knew nothing about him prior to this summer and now I understand why he is so highly rated. He is the real deal.

StarsDoMatter
It isn't just one game.

Wilcox has not had an adequate QB since he's been here. Our offense has been well below average every year he's been the head coach.

No one is overreacting. This is the cold hard truth.

The players currently on the roster just aren't good enough. As my name says "stars do matter" . This idea that you get hardworking 2 and 3 star guys and "coach them up real well" is hot garbage.

As you watched, guys who are athletically limited do not magically improve by being coached up. Instead you see ultra conservative, vanilla offenses and defenses that try and mask the deficiencies of the players.

We need to recruit better players. Real playmakers/game changer types.

Find a coach who can really recruit and "coach them up"'. Wilcox is incapable of doing either..
71Bear
Trumpanzee said:

First off, I can not believe I waited all year to see Cal get worked and out coached by a MWC team. I had high hopes (like the rest of Cal nation) after the first two drives we would dominate the game. But the biggest problem I have seen from this coaching staff is the ability to let off the pedal and cruise to losses. It seems we always start Strong and try to play catch up the rest of the game. It's hard for me to believe that Nevada made an incredible game adjustment after less than half a quarter? All night commentators were asking "why is Cal not running the ball?" It's almost as if Wilcox is trying to make Chase something more than he is? Is it too early to jump to a different QB? If I were the Cal Prez and or AD I would have Wilcox in my office Monday morning......
If the President of the UC system ever gets involved in football decisions at one of the campuses, Cal is in a lot more trouble than any of us ever considered. Heck, even if the Chancellor got involved, it would tell us that Cal has gone off the deep end. As for the AD, anyone who thinks that Knowlton is capable of making a rational decision regarding the hiring/firing of coaches, well..

By the way, Nevada started Strong, not Cal.
socaltownie
Stars matter nailed it. Look at the physical difference between Nevada's wide receivers and ours. No contest. And sononce again we saw a team play us straight up man and not worry. I do, however,, disagree about the box being stacked. It was not. we could have continued to run off tackle all night
Trumpanzee
71Bear said:

Trumpanzee said:

If the President of the UC system ever gets involved in football decisions at one of the campuses, Cal is in a lot more trouble than any of us ever considered. Heck, even if the Chancellor got involved, it would tell us that Cal has gone off the deep end. As for the AD, anyone who thinks that Knowlton is capable of making a rational decision regarding the hiring/firing of coaches, well..

i should have noted if the AD had a clue about what attracts kids to a school (not all kids, some really want to go to school to better themselves) is the atmosphere in the school and football delivers that appeal. I live in Boise Idaho and you would not believe how much money these bowl games boost the budget of the school and athletic programs. They were able to increase the size of the stadium, add new buildings on campus and continue to attract kids out of state to come here. Outside of wanting to be a chemical engineer, why would you come to Cal......
71Bear
Trumpanzee said:

71Bear said:

Trumpanzee said:

i should have noted if the AD had a clue about what attracts kids to a school (not all kids, some really want to go to school to better themselves) is the atmosphere in the school and football delivers that appeal. I live in Boise Idaho and you would not believe how much money these bowl games boost the budget of the school and athletic programs. They were able to increase the size of the stadium, add new buildings on campus and continue to attract kids out of state to come here. Outside of wanting to be a chemical engineer, why would you come to Cal......
Because it offers the best public education in the country. If I had to do it all over again, I would the same thing as I did back in the day - go to JC, following that, apply only to Cal and receive an liberal arts education that prompts me to critically analyze options before making decisions. Besides, some of my favorite classes were outside my major of Poly Sci. I loved the art history, geography, history, etc. classes..

I did not attend Cal because of how good the athletics were. I attended Cal to get the best possible education at a reasonable cost.

Heck, if I wanted a Boise State level education, I could go to Cal State Hayward. Why would I go to Boise?

BearForce2
socaltownie said:

Stars matter nailed it. Look at the physical difference between Nevada's wide receivers and ours. No contest. And sononce again we saw a team play us straight up man and not worry. I do, however,, disagree about the box being stacked. It was not. we could have continued to run off tackle all night

Wasn't Musgrave on the sidelines instead of up in the box? If he had a different view, he would have seen that the box wasn't stacked and may have called different plays.
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
Bobodeluxe
Some people insist on contradicting the experts here by refusing to agree the the box was, as they say, stacked.
Trumpanzee
71Bear said:

Trumpanzee said:

71Bear said:

Trumpanzee said:

Because it offers the best public education in the country. If I had to do it all over again, I would the same thing as I did back in the day - go to JC, following that, apply only to Cal and receive an liberal arts education that prompts me to critically analyze options before making decisions. Besides, some of my favorite classes were outside my major of Poly Sci. I loved the art history, geography, history, etc. classes..

I did not attend Cal because of how good the athletics were. I attended Cal to get the best possible education at a reasonable cost.

Heck, if I wanted a Boise State level education, I could go to Cal State Hayward. Why would I go to Boise?

I'm sure Alabama students are there for the great educational value. I'm just saying I want to go to a school where I have an opportunity to get and education and enjoy the social aspects of football. NO DISS ON BAMA OR THEIR GREAT FAN'S AND STUDENTS!!!! You just had the coin to get a good coach who has great recruiters.
JSML01
Bobodeluxe said:

Some people insist on contradicting the experts here by refusing to agree the the box was, as they say, stacked.

Stacked or not. Here are all the runs in the 2nd half in sequence.

Garber 5 Yards
Garber 4
Moore 4
Dancy 8
Brooks 8
Moore 4
Moore 6
Brooks 38
Moore 15
Garber 2

Any tackle for losses or any runs stuffed? None. 10 runs for a 9.4 yards per attempt average
calumnus
Bobodeluxe said:

Oops, we don't have any.

Oh, well.

"This is the deepest and most talented WR group I've ever seen at Cal"
calumnus
Bobodeluxe said:

A stacked box is an opportunity. Not to go empty backfield, look like you are still going to run. Get the defense to crash the LOS or moving in the wrong direction with play-action, then bootleg and throw to a TE behind the defense or have Chase run.

A WR running a streak up the sideline is going to have coverage no matter what formation you are in or play-action you run. The CB is not looking at the play, he is just going to cover his man, but has the sideline for help. It is a tough throw to time. If there is no safety help (because they are sucked in by your play action) it is better to have the WR break into open field where the QB can lead him and the CB has no chance.
Grigsby
Bobodeluxe said:

Oops, we don't have any.

Oh, well.

I don't think that is the case. The issue is that there's know misdirection, no variety in play calling. Refuse to run seam routes, or wheel routes. The offense plays at the same speed , which is extremely slow. I get that Wilcox likes to milk the clock, but changing gears like going no huddle is critical.

At this point setting up with 8 on line is ridiculous. The running backs save for Dancy aren't quick hitters. So everything we run is far too deliberate.

The offense reminds me of the Holmoe offenses where the best O was a five yard out to Dameane Douglas.
Golden One
LunchTime said:

Post game Wilcox said we were running the same plays, they just weren't working.

Then why in the hell didn't our coaches make adjustments? It's just plain stupid to continue running the same plays when they aren't working. Our coaching staff from Wilcox on down just plain sucks!
Strykur
Golden One said:

LunchTime said:

Then why in the hell didn't our coaches make adjustments? It's just plain stupid to continue running the same plays when they aren't working. Our coaching staff from Wilcox on down just plain sucks!
Even the running plays that were working, we stopped doing them once we got into the redzone, figure that one out.
Big C
StarsDoMatter said:

It isn't just one game.

Wilcox has not had an adequate QB since he's been here. Our offense has been well below average every year he's been the head coach.

The players currently on the roster just aren't good enough. As my name says "stars do matter" . This idea that you get hardworking 2 and 3 star guys and "coach them up real well" is hot garbage.

As you watched, guys who are athletically limited do not magically improve by being coached up. Instead you see ultra conservative, vanilla offenses and defenses that try and mask the deficiencies of the players.

Find a coach who can really recruit and "coach them up"'. Wilcox is incapable of doing either..

While I generally agree that we need better athletes, how do you explain Nevada? If you want to compare "stars", our average star rating has been higher than theirs, going back to long before the last three times we have played them (all losses).
71Bear
calumnus said:

Bobodeluxe said:

Oops, we don't have any.

Oh, well.

"This is the deepest and most talented WR group I've ever seen at Cal"

Whoever said that has no idea what they are talking about. Just more hyperbole.

Cal must lead the nation in unreasonable expectations based upon idle chatter. Unfortunately for people looking for some solid analysis of the roster, this site has to be one of the worst. The blue tinted glasses worn by those who are supposed to have a clue are so dark, they can't see the light of truth..

Talk is cheap

Give me Rivera and Walker any day over the collection of misfits that currently populate the WR room at Cal.
WalterSobchak
Big C said:

StarsDoMatter said:

It isn't just one game.

While I generally agree that we need better athletes, how do you explain Nevada? If you want to compare "stars", our average star rating has been higher than theirs, going back to long before the last three times we have played them (all losses).
I learned recently from r/CFB that 247 actually does a "Team Talent Composite"
https://247sports.com/Season/2021-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/

For 2021:
Cal is 40 (0 5* / 10 4* / 75 3*)
Nevada is 101 (0 / 0 / 37)

In other words, all of our scholarship players are rated guys while fewer than half of Nevada's are.
They simply wanted it more.
At the same time, 40 is only good for 8th in the Pac.
Trumpanzee
Big C said:

StarsDoMatter said:

It isn't just one game.

I think you need to look at admission requirements into Cal vs. Nevada and you will find the answer to this question.....
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.