Story Poster
Photo by SI.com
Cal Football

Bears Add Purdue Transfer QB Plummer

December 16, 2021

With the departure of four year starting QB Chase Garbers, picking up an experienced QB to add to the quarterbacks room was a top priority for the Bears this offseason. Four days after his weekend visit, the Bears did just that, adding 6-5/215 Purdue Junior QB Jack Plummer to the program.

As a prep, Plummer entered Purdue as a 4 star ESPN (3 stars with 247 and Rivals) QB from Gilbert, Arizona holding offers from Iowa, South Carolina, Arizona and Oregon State among his 13 offers before committing to Purdue.

Plummer started the year as the starting QB for the Boilermakers, completing 87-of-127 passes (68.5%) with seven touchdowns and no interceptions, going 3-1 with the lone loss to Notre Dame. But looking for a spark, head coach Jeff Brohm inserted senior QB Aidan O’Connell, who was even more impressive, completing 73% of his passes for 3,174 yards and 23 TDs with 8 interceptions on the season. With another year of eligibility due to last season’s covid exceptions, O’Connell looks likely to start again so Plummer decided to check out the transfer portal to see if there was a beter situation for him.

Enter Cal, where Plummer will presumbly battle highly-touted redshirt frosh QB Kai Millner along with soph Zach Johnson and veteran walk-on QB Robby Rowell for the starting nod.

Plummer’s career stats include 319-of-492 passses completed (64.8%) for 3.405 yards and 26 touchdowns with 10 interceptions. Plummer will have two years of remaining eligibility for the Bears. He will enroll for spring semester and participate in spring ball in March.

Discussion from...

Bears Add Purdue Transfer QB Plummer

49,508 Views | 162 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by MoragaBear
Alkiadt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Very pleased by this.
Bobodeluxe
He's more than decent. Good job. Beat the Irish.
Blueblood
Bobodeluxe said:

He's more than decent. Good job. Beat the Irish.

Rose Bowl here we come! *

* I'm being facetious.
BearGreg
Staff
Don't be shocked (I'd say it's 50/50) to see another HS player or transfer QB come in before Fall Camp.
UrsineMaximus
We are loaded w/ QBs from the State of AZ!!
calbear80
Signing experienced QB Jack Plummer is very good news for a position last we lack experience and depth. He has experience starting against big time opponents and that only helps. This addition compliments our recruiting class very nicely.

Now, Jack Plummer is going back to play against Notre Dame in September. I hope he has revenge in his mind.

Go Bears!
okaydo
calbear80
BearGreg said:

Don't be shocked (I'd say it's 50/50) to see another HS player or transfer QB come in before Fall Camp.

Martin? I understand he is unhappy that Chipper lied to him.

Go Bears!
BearForce2
Passing motion reminds me of Goff.
calbear80
BearForce2 said:

Tallest QB at Cal along with Davis Webb?

Rich Campbell (Cal QB from the San Jose area, late 70's) was also 6'-5" (or was he "only" 6'-4"?). I must be old because more than half of the BI posters don't know who Rich Campbell was (and BI poster are not that young).

Go Bears!
UrsineMaximus
BearForce2 said:

Passing motion reminds me of Goff.
Why is Purdue running RPO with guy? He's not a threat to get anywhere far with his feet.
He may hand it off to the RB. I watched highlights of a couple of his games, he's not really a threat running but he can maneuver out of trouble when he needs to. Also does a good job hanging in the pocket and keeping his eyes downfield.
calbear80
calbear80 said:

One more piece of history. QB Jake Plummer (who took ASU to the Rose Bowl and played in the NFL) was going to come to Cal until Coach Bruce Snyder bolted for ASU (on January 1, 1992, right after the Citrus Bowl victory, remember it well) and took Jake Plummer with him. Big loss. Damn that AD who screwed things up with Coach Snyder. Our current AD Knowlton may have his shortcomings, but, thank God, somehow he managed to keep Coach Wilcox.

Go Bears!

Skeedabear
All right Musgrave, get to work!
We'll be watching!
Dgoldnbaer
Campbell was definitely 6' 5". And man he sure could throw a screen or swing pass! Here's hoping Plummer can throw accurate passes DOWNFIELD!
burritos
We swept Minnesota:
71Bear
BearGreg said:

As long as the transfer isn't Martinez, all will be well.

Plummer is a good pickup.

UPDATE: Martinez heading to K-State. Who-hoo.
Larno
calbear80 said:

BearForce2 said:

Rich Campbell (Cal QB from the San Jose area, late 70's) was also 6'-5" (or was he "only" 6'-4"?). I must be old because more than half of the BI posters don't know who Rich Campbell was (and BI poster are not that young).

Go Bears!
I shot a basketball around with him when he was at Cal. I'm 6'3" and he was definitely taller than me, whether by one or two inches I don't recall. Listed basketball player heights are notoriously fudged and football height and weight sometimes too but he was definitely tall.
Skeedabear
71Bear said:

BearGreg said:

As long as the transfer isn't Martinez, all will be well.

Plummer is a good pickup.

Martinez shows as committing to K-State in transfer portal, so all will be well.
82gradDLSdad
calbear80 said:

BearForce2 said:

Go Bears!

I'll say 6'5". I had a class with him. He spent a lot of it looking at index cards with plays and formations on them. Good QB.
KoreAmBear
BearGreg said:

Thanks BG. I like that he's tall and accurate. Don't know much about mobility but seems like a Davis Webb type.
KoreAmBear
82gradDLSdad said:

calbear80 said:

BearForce2 said:

Go Bears!

I'll say 6'5". I had a class with him. He spent a lot of it looking at index cards with plays and formations on them. Good QB.
Rich is pretty active on Twitter. Great guy.
KoreAmBear
Skeedabear said:

All right Musgrave, get to work!
We'll be watching!
Sorry I think Musgrave is a quality person, but not a good fit for us. Let's find an OC that will get our offense to be more productive.
calumnus
KoreAmBear said:

BearGreg said:

Thanks BG. I like that he's tall and accurate. Don't know much about mobility but seems like a Davis Webb type.

Plummer seems pretty decent, my concern is he is strictly a pocket passer and guys like Modster, who had success elsewhere, don't do so well behind our line. Good pick up, looking forward to seeing who else we get and who ends up starting next Fall.
ducky23
After watching his highlights the only thing I can say with any certainty is that Purdue's Oline is way better than ours
MoragaBear
Staff
ducky23 said:

After watching his highlights the only thing I can say with any certainty is that Purdue's Oline is way better than ours
Sacks allowed: Purdue: 27 Cal: 25

Rushing offense: Purdue: 2.78 ypc Cal: 4.92 ypc
westwoodbear1
Dammit Moraga Bear! Why do you always have to counter raw emotion with hard data
91Cal
calumnus said:

KoreAmBear said:

BearGreg said:

Plummer seems pretty decent, my concern is he is strictly a pocket passer and guys like Modster, who had success elsewhere, don't do so well behind our line. Good pick up, looking forward to seeing who else we get and who ends up starting next Fall.

Did you watch the highlight clip?

Several strong plays out of the pocket or handling pressure well, moving in the pocket, scrambling with a nice pump fake to gain space and more yards, scrambling parallel to the LOS, keeping his eyes upfield and getting the pass to the open receiver well downfield.

Two things I really liked seeing:
- he threw many passes ahead of or as the receiver was breaking
- he threw over the edge rusher on a couple of passes as well with appropriate velocity
OneKeg
Yeah I don't know about Purdue's O-line being better, though their worse stats could be because of tougher competition. Purdue did face a much tougher schedule than Cal. Probably because the Big 10 is better than the Pac-12, but also because they faced Notre Dame OOC.

Purdue strength of schedule #9
Cal strength of schedule #59
Per Sagarin

Both teams had solid home wins against Oregon State. Plummer actually had a good game against the Beavers in the Boilermakers' home opener, 29/41 for 313 yards, 2 TDs, 0 Ints.
MoragaBear
Staff
Maybe so but 2.9 yards per carry is pretty wretched, no matter how you cut it.
ducky23
MoragaBear said:

ducky23 said:

I'll give you ypc, but sacks allowed isn't all that great of a stat to measure how good an o-line is for pass protect (and you know that just as well as I).

I mean sure, you could be right, but just watching highlights from that one minn game, Plummer had a lot of very clean pockets to throw from.
calumnus
91Cal said:

calumnus said:

KoreAmBear said:

BearGreg said:

Did you watch the highlight clip?

Several strong plays out of the pocket or handling pressure well, moving in the pocket, scrambling with a nice pump fake to gain space and more yards, scrambling parallel to the LOS, keeping his eyes upfield and getting the pass to the open receiver well downfield.

Two things I really liked seeing:
- he threw many passes ahead of or as the receiver was breaking
- he threw over the edge rusher on a couple of passes as well with appropriate velocity

Yes, I saw his highlights and I definitely liked those things. I am just saying I also saw Modster do those things at UCLA. He had a 157 passer rating at UCLA (better than Plummer at Purdue) then a 105 at Cal. Turns out the ability to move around in the pocket depends on there being a pocket to start with. Nothing against Plummer, he is clearly a better passer than Chase (FWIW) but one of our QBs with wheels might win the job because we need to have that dimension. As I said, I'm glad we got him and I look forward to seeing how they all perform next year.
MoragaBear
Staff
ducky23 said:

MoragaBear said:

ducky23 said:

I'll give you ypc, but sacks allowed isn't all that great of a stat to measure how good an o-line is for pass protect (and you know that just as well as I).

I mean sure, you could be right, but just watching highlights from that one minn game, Plummer had a lot of very clean pockets to throw from.
Well that would depend on the game. There were a lot of games where Chase had clean pockets all game. They were playing Minnesota in the highlights and Minnesota only had 20 sacks all season not to mention only 11th in the Big Ten in TFLs.
heartofthebear
At 6'5" we probably won't see as many tipped passes as we did with Garbers at QB.
heartofthebear
calbear80 said:

BearGreg said:

Martin? I understand he is unhappy that Chipper lied to him.

Go Bears!
How did Kelly lie to him?
heartofthebear
With 2 new Plummer's, one at QB and one at WR, maybe we'll finally get some offensive flow.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.