Cal picked #4 in the pac12, do you feel something different?

6,997 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Blueblood
calumnus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
edg64 said:

joe amos yaks said:

#4 in the PAC12 north.
#4 in the North means #8 in the conference
Go Bears

#9 according to Vegas

1. USC 2/1
2. Oregon 11/5
3. Utah 5/1
4T ASU 17/2
4T UCLA 17/2
6. UW 11/1
7. WSU 33/1
8. OSU 40/1
9. Cal 66/1
10. Furd 80/1
11. Colorado 200/1
12. Arizona 500/1

I think given USC, Oregon and UW have first year coaches, this is the year to beat them. I think Utah is underrated, but we don't play them. We play Arizona and Colorado.

If Wilcox is ever going to challenge for the Conference Championship, this is the year. If we do, maybe we land Rashada? Then I'd be very bullish on the Bears!
Go Bears!
oskidunker
Sam ole same ole. Its like Groundhog day.
Go Bears!
GMP
Go!Bears said:

76BearsFly said:

In for $50 on Bears to win Conference. Probably wasted but if Pasadena in the cards ok got a $3,300 war chest. Big fan this year….
That is actually cheap insurance for Rose Bowl tickets. If they win, I could afford to buy them. I may join you.

If you did this every year since 1960, which is 62 seasons, you'd have spent $3,100. 4 more seasons before you don't break even
Big C
calumnus said:

Big C said:

calumnus said:

KoreAmBear said:

Nasal Mucus Goldenbear said:

#4 in the California pod.

#4 in the Bay Area pod.

Actually, that would be optimistic for basketball. Last year's ranking in Ken Pom:
1. St. Mary's #17
2. San Francisco #23
3. Santa Clara #76
4. Stanford #106
5. Cal #142

I wonder how Santa Clara and Stanford must have felt, having both lost to the #142 team in the country!

Probably similar to how we felt as the #4 UC campus in basketball (behind LA, Santa Barbara and Irvine) and still lost to #261 UC San Diego who just moved up to D1 and started giving out scholarships.

Well, I need to say how I felt. attending each of those home games this past season:

UCSD: disappointed
SCU: good
Furd: great
82gradDLSdad
calumnus said:

edg64 said:

joe amos yaks said:

#4 in the PAC12 north.
Go Bears

#9 according to Vegas

1. USC 2/1
2. Oregon 11/5
3. Utah 5/1
4T ASU 17/2
4T UCLA 17/2
6. UW 11/1
7. WSU 33/1
8. OSU 40/1
9. Cal 66/1
10. Furd 80/1
11. Colorado 200/1
12. Arizona 500/1

I think given USC, Oregon and UW have first year coaches, this is the year to beat them. I think Utah is underrated, but we don't play them. We play Arizona and Colorado.

If Wilcox is ever going to challenge for the Conference Championship, this is the year. If we do, maybe we land Rashada? Then I'd be very bullish on the Bears!
Go Bears!

I would hope Wilcox gets better chances to challenge for the conference championship. We are picked 9th. Maybe during a year we are picked 2nd? Or 1st? In other words, when our roster is better.
WalterSobchak
calumnus said:

edg64 said:

joe amos yaks said:

#4 in the PAC12 north.
Go Bears

#9 according to Vegas

1. USC 2/1
2. Oregon 11/5
3. Utah 5/1
4T ASU 17/2
4T UCLA 17/2
6. UW 11/1
7. WSU 33/1
8. OSU 40/1
9. Cal 66/1
10. Furd 80/1
11. Colorado 200/1
12. Arizona 500/1

Go Bears!
I think ASU and UW are massively over valued here. The situation at ASU needs no explanation other than they are in chaos and hemorrhaging talent. But UW also has had a very problematic offseason. They lost a ton of talent from a mediocre team that lost its last 4 games and haven't really replaced it. They only signed 9 or 10 HS players, and while they brought in 9 transfers they also lost 18 (at least 3 of them were starters, and 2 of those were All-Pac12 HM). They also lost 4 high quality starters to the NFL draft and another 3 as UDFAs. So from an experience standpoint they are a net negative just by raw numbers, but it could be even more pronounced considering most of their incoming transfers either don't have a lot of playing time, aren't from P5 schools, or both. None of their HS signees look like the type of talent to step in immediately and make a big impact even though some, like Ryan Otten, might be forced into that type of role out of sheer necessity. Their D in general and CB in particular has been decimated. They lost their top 2 CBs as high draft picks, another who played in all 12 games as a transfer, and brought in only 1 (from UC Davis). Their current roster shows only 2 upper class CBs, one of them the Davis transfer. None of them was ever rated better than a 3 star prospect, while 2 were unrated including their only other upper classman (who also has never played in a game). Only 3 have ever played in a game for UW, and only 1 has made any starts. At best they are extremely thin at CB, and that's just the most glaring position IMO.
Blueblood
BearoutEast67 said:

I smell roses
You need to change your sox.
calumnus
82gradDLSdad said:

calumnus said:

edg64 said:

joe amos yaks said:

#4 in the PAC12 north.
Go Bears

#9 according to Vegas

1. USC 2/1
2. Oregon 11/5
3. Utah 5/1
4T ASU 17/2
4T UCLA 17/2
6. UW 11/1
7. WSU 33/1
8. OSU 40/1
9. Cal 66/1
10. Furd 80/1
11. Colorado 200/1
12. Arizona 500/1

Go Bears!

I would hope Wilcox gets better chances to challenge for the conference championship. We are picked 9th. Maybe during a year we are picked 2nd? Or 1st? In other words, when our roster is better.

The roster is probably not going to magically get better unless Wilcox starts winning with the players he has. A number of Pac-12 teams upgraded coaches this year. We need to make a run this year so we get Rashada. Or maybe we can do it with NIL?
Bobodeluxe
Blueblood said:

BearoutEast67 said:

I smell roses
You need to change your sox.
You're warming up!
bencgilmore
calumnus said:

KoreAmBear said:

#4 in the Bay Area pod.

Actually, that would be optimistic for basketball. Last year's ranking in Ken Pom:
1. St. Mary's #17
2. San Francisco #23
3. Santa Clara #76
4. Stanford #106
5. Cal #142

i think that overrates our bball team tbh
calumnus
SadbutTrue999 said:

calumnus said:

KoreAmBear said:

#4 in the Bay Area pod.

1. St. Mary's #17
2. San Francisco #23
3. Santa Clara #76
4. Stanford #106
5. Cal #142

i think that overrates our bball team tbh

Well yes, we will be considerably worse this year since we lose the top 4 scorers from that team.
movielover
The Opener will be interesting.
calumnus
movielover said:

I assume you mean for basketball. We probably play Iowa (#13 in KP) or TCU (#26 in KP). Will probably be ugly considering we lost to UC San Diego in our opener at home last year.
movielover
Nope. Football. The Aggies gave the Bears some fun a few years back, but they had studs at QB and WR. Like Cal, the Aggies QB caller is unproven.
minkjr
I've put $100 a year on the Bears to win the national championship since 1997. Anything is possible, just not in previous seasons.

Also, a buddy at Boston Market said bet the house on these guys:
82gradDLSdad
minkjr said:

I've put $100 a year on the Bears to win the national championship since 1997. Anything is possible, just not in previous seasons.

Also, a buddy at Boston Market said bet the house on these guys:

The Generals are long overdue for an upset
mbBear
calumnus said:

edg64 said:

joe amos yaks said:

#4 in the PAC12 north.
Go Bears

#9 according to Vegas

1. USC 2/1
2. Oregon 11/5
3. Utah 5/1
4T ASU 17/2
4T UCLA 17/2
6. UW 11/1
7. WSU 33/1
8. OSU 40/1
9. Cal 66/1
10. Furd 80/1
11. Colorado 200/1
12. Arizona 500/1

Go Bears!
I guess I would value the "first year coach" theory more with SC if they didn't pick up someone who has won at the highest level.
I don't see how their offense isn't significantly better considering the QB and WR acquisition...but will be ecstatic to be wrong..
calumnus
mbBear said:

calumnus said:

edg64 said:

joe amos yaks said:

#4 in the PAC12 north.
Go Bears

#9 according to Vegas

1. USC 2/1
2. Oregon 11/5
3. Utah 5/1
4T ASU 17/2
4T UCLA 17/2
6. UW 11/1
7. WSU 33/1
8. OSU 40/1
9. Cal 66/1
10. Furd 80/1
11. Colorado 200/1
12. Arizona 500/1

Go Bears!
I guess I would value the "first year coach" theory more with SC if they didn't pick up someone who has won at the highest level.
I don't see how their offense isn't significantly better considering the QB and WR acquisition...but will be ecstatic to be wrong..

Well the problem with that is, no matter how good they are this year, they should be better next year. And even better the year after that. It only gets worse from here. Thus, this is the year Wilcox needs to make a breakthrough, at least to the top half of the conference and start getting some momentum in recruiting, hopefully by landing Rashada.

Finishing near the bottom of the conference for a sixth year in a row while everyone else is gaining strength would just solidify the Wilcox era as Holmoe 2.0: A missed opportunity to do something when the rest of the conference is down that lasted too long because too many fans just think he is a swell person. Only to find a great coach that couldn't break through because the power teams that were down before found great coaches too.
Big C
calumnus said:

movielover said:

I assume you mean for basketball. We probably play Iowa (#13 in KP) or TCU (#26 in KP). Will probably be ugly considering we lost to UC San Diego in our opener at home last year.

Only because we took 'em too lightly!

Well, also we sucked. There was that...
82gradDLSdad
calumnus said:

mbBear said:

calumnus said:

edg64 said:

joe amos yaks said:

#4 in the PAC12 north.
Go Bears

#9 according to Vegas

1. USC 2/1
2. Oregon 11/5
3. Utah 5/1
4T ASU 17/2
4T UCLA 17/2
6. UW 11/1
7. WSU 33/1
8. OSU 40/1
9. Cal 66/1
10. Furd 80/1
11. Colorado 200/1
12. Arizona 500/1

Go Bears!

Well the problem with that is, no matter how good they are this year, they should be better next year. And even better the year after that. It only gets worse from here. Thus, this is the year Wilcox needs to make a breakthrough, at least to the top half of the conference and start getting some momentum in recruiting, hopefully by landing Rashada.

Finishing near the bottom of the conference for a sixth year in a row while everyone else is gaining strength would just solidify the Wilcox era as Holmoe 2.0: A missed opportunity to do something when the rest of the conference is down that lasted too long because too many fans just think he is a swell person. Only to find a great coach that couldn't break through because the power teams that were down before found great coaches too.

Knowlton, or whatever firm he uses, isn't hiring anyone better than Wilcox. Get excited when Jim retires (he won't be fired).
SmellinRoses
Makes two of us.
HearstMining
calumnus said:

mbBear said:

calumnus said:

edg64 said:

joe amos yaks said:

#4 in the PAC12 north.
Go Bears

#9 according to Vegas

1. USC 2/1
2. Oregon 11/5
3. Utah 5/1
4T ASU 17/2
4T UCLA 17/2
6. UW 11/1
7. WSU 33/1
8. OSU 40/1
9. Cal 66/1
10. Furd 80/1
11. Colorado 200/1
12. Arizona 500/1

Go Bears!

As I posted back in January, the Wilcox era much more closely resembles Ray Willsey:

• Both were former Pac-X DBs.
  • Both came to Cal with a track record as Defensive Coordinators.
  • Both were/are known for producing solid defenses
  • Both replaced unpopular predecessors
  • Both had (have) overall Cal records that are 2 games under .500
  • Both had (have) won approximately 40% of their conference games

On the bright side, if the trend continues, this means that Wilcox's last recruiting class should include a QB of the caliber of Steve Bartkowski.
Dgoldnbaer
On an even brighter side, if this trend continues, Wilcox's successor will have us watching some of the best offenses we've ever had at Cal!!
movielover
We'll know more after the first couple of games. New QBs, new WRs.
Blueblood
movielover said:

We'll know more after the first couple of games. New QBs, new WRs.

I don't think we'll know that much about the Bears "after the first couple of games as to how well they'll do in conference.

The UC Davis and UNLV feel-good games won't really tell us too much because they are not representative of a typical Pac-12 opponent. And, the ND game won't tell us too much either other than per usual the Bears will look bad or ugly on national TV.
Trumpanzee
Beat ND (and not lose to UC Davis and UNLV) puts us in the top 25?
Blueblood
Trumpanzee said:

Beat ND (and not lose to UC Davis and UNLV) puts us in the top 25?
Can't argue with your pronouncement, but it is so fantasmal (that is, extremely low believability for those who are football savvy) as to not have any realistic outlook for Cal football.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.