Story Poster
Photo by Twitter / Curlee Thomas
Cal Football

2022 Cal Rush End/OLB Signee Curlee Thomas: Why I Chose Cal

May 31, 2022

My name is Curlee Thomas IV. I was born in Pine Bluff, Arkansas. I moved to Keller, Tx ( North Forth Worth) when I was 4 years old. I played football and graduated high school from Nolan Catholic High School, located in Fort Worth, Texas.

I started playing football at the age of 7. I also started running track at 11 and made the Jr Olympics In both the 100 and 200m events. I’ve also studied MMA, specifically Muay Thai and Jiu Jitsu for a few years.

I love the opportunity to compete. Football is the ultimate test of wills. There’s nothing more exciting than forcing an offensive lineman against his well and knowing there’s nothing he can do about it and sacking the QB is the reward for it. I also love the brotherhood and unity that’s built through the game of football. Having a group of brothers who all share the same vision and same goal of being the best at their crafts and winning being the ultimate result of that.

I am truly blessed to have received so many awards for my play. I finished with three-year varsity totals of 195 tackles, 53 tackles for loss, 35 sacks, 101 quarterback hurries, two fumble recoveries and six forced fumbles. I finished as Nolan Catholic’s all-time leader in sacks with 32. I earned first-team All-State, All-District 6A-D1 and All-Area recognition for my junior and senior seasons. 

I was blessed with 45 D1 scholarship opportunities and I truly appreciate all the schools that offered me. The decision to go to Cal was based on a lot of prayer and talking it over with my Dad and Mom. I had to ask myself, if I didn’t play football, what school would I choose? That school for me was Cal. The education is 2nd to none and Coach Browning recruited me harder than anyone else  Michigan St was close).

Being from the South, I wanted the opportunity to experience a different aspect of life. California has so many different diverse types of people and cultures ; there’s always something you can learn from anyone.

I have a great relationship with the staff at Cal. Any time the HC, DC, position coach and recruiting coordinator come to your home, you know you are a priority. They’ve told me from day 1 that they wanted me and their actions proved that.

Coach Browning is like family. My parents have a lot of respect for him. Coach Wilcox is awesome.  He’s been nothing but honest with us from the time I took my official visit. Coach Heyward and I have had a good relationship as well. He was a given another opportunity at another university but I wish him the best. I’m really really excited about playing for Coach Sirmon and Coach So’oto. Anytime your DC and position coach have played at the highest level, there’s an opportunity for you to learn and absorb as much knowledge from them as possible. I know they have the experience, knowledge and dedication to maximize me as both a player and a person.

I was recruited to be a rush end.at Cal. I have the ability to stand up, cover or put my hand in the dirt. I have proven over my career to be elite at pass rushing and playing the run equally as well. My goal is to come in Day 1 and first learn while also making as much impact as I can, early. .

My goal is to study software engineering and animation at Cal .

As for what motivates me in life, being a Christian, I’m motivated first by pleasing God and following whatever path he has set for me. I’m also motivated by being the best person I can and leaving this world a better place than when I came. Family is very important to me and making the sacrifices of those before me worth it matters to me.

Go Bears!

Other stories:

Texas OLB Curlee Thomas Makes it 6 For Cal

Discussion from...

2022 Cal Rush End/OLB Signee Curlee Thomas: Why I Chose Cal

4,802 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by rkt88edmo
eastcoastcal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Already one of my favorite players. Can't wait to see him ball out
going4roses
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
NVBear78
Welcome to the University of California at Berkeley Mr. Thomas. You have made an excellent 50 year choice. Best wishes to you both on and off the field at Cal. Looking forward to watching you terrorize other QB's next fall.

Go Bears!
UrsineMaximus
Muay Thai and Jiu Jitsu...very impressive. I practiced both for years. Great for flexibility and hips are loose doing these two martial arts. I'm sure it has increased his speed and mobility.

Can't wait to see him on the field!!
rkt88edmo
UrsineMaximus said:

Muay Thai and Jiu Jitsu...very impressive. I practiced both for years. Great for flexibility and hips are loose doing these two martial arts. I'm sure it has increased his speed and mobility.

Can't wait to see him on the field!!
Angles, leverage, strategy, misdirection, and balance baby
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.