Story Poster
Photo by Twitter / Jermaine Terry
Cal Football

Hometown Hero Jermaine Terry Poised For Big Season For Bears

August 9, 2022

Rated the #1 tight end nationally by ESPN and #5 by 247, 6-4/255 sophomore tight end Jermaine Terry came in with some of the biggest recruiting accolades in Cal recruiting history when he signed with Cal in their 2021 class. But after suffering an injury and coming in at a heavier weight than he was used to playing at, the Bears brought Terry along slowly, playing him mainly on scout team and on special teams in games.

“For me personally, I was able to sit back and watch and learn,” said Terry of the experience. “I felt like, yeah for sure I wanted to play but I wasn’t that frustrated because I was able to come in and learn every day. I was able to get on the scout team, which I loved and was very excited about. I was able to go against the ones and get good work in and really develop and that’s where I think I found myself and I was able to show what I could truly do. But basically, I feel like sitting back, it was a learning experience for me and I wouldn’t change it if I could.

“A lot is thrown at you but you gotta find your own way through it all and basically figure it out. But I had some great -I like to call them- OGs, and some great leaders around me guys like Colin Moore, Jake Tonges, and Gavin Reinwald being able to help me and lead all these young tight ends and show us how it is done the correct way.”

“I think COVID was probably the hardest thing for him, cause here you are with no fall schedule,” Cal tight ends coach Geep Chryst said. “It was best case scenario for him to come in early so he came in as a mid-year enrollee, and it's hard because you're still pressing at 7 in the morning and doing virtual classes here at California Berkeley online. I think once covid was more in the rearview mirror he really caught his stride, and he's really comfortable around his teammates and really in great shape.”

Terry came back last spring a new man -lean, fit, and seemingly chiseled in granite while showing a burst not in evidence his frosh season. Part of his conditioning regimen involved yoga and a better diet and it’s obviously served him well.

“I did that personally because I feel like it would have benefited me the most,” said Terry of dropping the weight. “I feel a little lighter. Coming into college, you think you have to be the heaviest person in the world to be able to block and be able to run strong but that’s not true. So I felt like just shaping my body and cutting a little weight could benefit me and it truly has.

“Yoga and Pilates, I think that was huge, especially for my ability to stretch and my flexibility. But I think it was great that me and a few other players all did it together. Me, Raymond Woodie, Damien Moore and J. Michael Sturdivant all started a group.”

Now with a trimmer body and more time learning the offense, Terry is playing with a level of confidence and exuberance not in evidence during his first year in the program.

“I think now I just feel more comfortable inside the offense, definitely,” said Terry. “I feel like I’m coming out and I am more calm and collected and I know what I’m doing. Now I can really work on my technique and hone in on things that I truly need to work on. I think overall, I am in a better spot physically and mentally compared to where I was a year ago.”

“He's really matured,” said Chryst. “I think that's one of the things you see in college is a guy coming in and wanting to do well, and now he is physically much healthier, physically in great shape, and his mindset and his confidence is something he's gained. Really happy to see his growth, and again he's looking forward to starting his first game as a California Golden Bear, but he's doing just fine.”

Playing at over 270 last season, many thought of Terry as mainly an inline, blocking tight end but his performance in the spring and so far in fall camp belie a much more versatile talent ready to be utilized in the cal offense.

“At one point in time we had a big blocking tight end by the name of Dwayne Young who weighed 312 pounds as a blocking tight end, and when he first got here, I thought, ‘Oh my God, we might have the next Dwayne Young on our hands, but I would have to say that he's his own unique player because he is so explosive and he is so big at such a young age,” Chryst said. “The one comparison that I would actually make to him is the way Draymond Green looked when he went to play as a freshman at Michigan State. He was a little rolly poly and they worked him hard to get  him into great physical position, and now we know him as a first ballot Hall of Fame basketball player.

“I think when you get genuine confidence from investing in your body, your body relaxes,” Chryst said. “The one thing I see in him is his body control and his body relaxing because he knows the plays, he's been around his teammates and he's got a high level of expectations for himself. I think that's manifesting in his body language, maybe a relaxation. Then you're not draining your energy with stress or anxiety, but having energy because you're looking forward to the next play.

“In fact, with two plays we drew up before practice JT begged me to come in, so we actually played rock paper scissors because Kelekii wanted to go back in, too. So that's a great sign that we’re on the fourth day of camp and he wanted to get the next live rep. And he absolutely crushed the defender he was trying to block, and then he had a big grin on his face so he was really happy he won rock paper scissors. I'd like to say we have a sophisticated system going on around here but they both wanted the rep.

“He's always had that strength so he's always been a really good blocker at the point of attack, but I think by actually losing some weight, he's increased his speed, which is something we love seeing as coaches. And when he catches the ball, he transitions to being a runner really fast, so that opportunity to catch, dip and go is something that is rare, and he's a tough load to tackle. So we’re looking forward to not only his run blocking but also his pass receiving.”

During the recruiting process, Terry embraced the moniker Home Town Hero and has continued to do so heading into his second season in the program.

“It's amazing, for sure,” said Terry of being able to play in front of friends and family. “That’s one of the reasons why I came here because it has allowed my family to make it to the game and allowed me to be a role model for the kids and give them someone to personally look up to and give them dreams to aspire to. But it’s been amazing for me. And I would tell every single Bay recruit and NorCal recruit the same thing. Go where you want to go, go where you’re needed, and go where your family can see you, cause it will all work out for you.”

“I think he's always had a great reputation here in the East Bay,” Chryst said. “Guys like Josh Johnson who I coached who's now with the Denver Broncos called and said, ‘Hey I heard about this kid,’ so we're trying to get those guys together. I think he's got it in his mind that he's not just a leader on the team but he can also do stuff back here with the East Bay community.”

“Every time I go back home, I might see a kid or two who knows about me,” said Terry. “I have a lot of family and friends They have me talk to their children to tell them what they should be doing and shouldn’t be doing to get here but definitely being inside my community, I have a lot of people who come up and are proud of seeing me grow.”

Now that Terry seems to be on course to live up to his lofty ratings coming in, what are his expectations this season?

“I expect to win with this team and be a contributor wherever I am,” said Terry. “That’s it. Make my family and my friends proud. That’s all I can do.”

Other stories:

Cal Fall Camp Preview: Tight Ends

Cal 2022 Position Preview: Inside Linebackers

Discussion from...

Hometown Hero Jermaine Terry Poised For Big Season For Bears

5,692 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by MoragaBear
bearsandgiants
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My new favorite player. A rock solid tight end opens up multiple offensive avenues. This is going to be a more potent attack than people expect.
GivemTheAxe
bearsandgiants said:

My new favorite player. A rock solid tight end opens up multiple offensive avenues. This is going to be a more potent attack than people expect.

Musgrave had better make good use of Terry in his offensive schemes. Otherwise maybe we should start looking for a new OC.
calumnus
GivemTheAxe said:

bearsandgiants said:

Musgrave had better make good use of Terry in his offensive schemes. Otherwise maybe we should start looking for a new OC.

We had Wilcox's best recruiting class last year with 4 Four-Star players on offense. I was very excited to see them in action but none of them played or (Terry) barely played.

Milner redshirting is understandable, only one guy can play QB. I don't get Terry being relegated to special teams, Terry as a 275 lb blocking (and receiving) TE could have really helped our red zone offense. I especially don't get redshirting Sturdivant and Anderson. Yes, Sturdivant's hand was in a cast to start the season, but could have played the second half. You cannot have too many fast WRs in your rotation. They do not need to know the whole playbook, they need to have fresh legs and stretch defenses, wear out DBs from chasing them.

If either plays at Cal as a 5th year senior, I may reconsider, but Wilcox needed to win last year, not four years from now, which takes care of itself if you win NOW. We cannot continue to be so conservative.

I am excited to finally see our three highly rated 2nd year players in action.

Econ141
calumnus said:

GivemTheAxe said:

bearsandgiants said:

We had Wilcox's best recruiting class last year with 4 Four-Star players on offense. I was very excited to see them in action but none of them played or (Terry) barely played.

Milner redshirting is understandable, only one guy can play QB. I don't get Terry being relegated to special teams, Terry as a 275 lb blocking (and receiving) TE could have really helped our red zone offense. I especially don't get redshirting Sturdivant and Anderson. Yes, Sturdivant's hand was in a cast to start the season, but could have played the second half. You cannot have too many fast WRs in your rotation. They do not need to know the whole playbook, they need to have fresh legs and stretch defenses, wear out DBs from chasing them.

If either plays at Cal as a 5th year senior, I may reconsider, but Wilcox needed to win last year, not four years from now, which takes care of itself if you win NOW. We cannot continue to be so conservative.

I don't quite get the use of redshirting any more at a place like Cal QB or not. If we get a 4*+, we invest in him through nutrition and weight programs, practices, etc and the guy transfers out once he shows he is capable. Not only that but we have also held up a scholarship that could have gone to a transfer who was ready to contribute on day 1.

Anyways - back to the topic ... This guy sounds like a beast and really enjoys being at Cal. Hope he crushes the competition in this very important year.
TomBear
Everything I read about this guy is impressive. He's patient, he's wise, he's motivated, and he's taken steps to use what some would think as a negative situation to improve his abilities and opportunities.

I'm anxious to see him on the field. I have a feeling he's going to be really sensational.

And for sure, I think he'll do well with his Cal degree.
movielover
Especially with the expanded games they can play and still redshirt...
Goobear
Great kid. Going to be a fabulous football player.
MoragaBear
Staff
calumnus said:

GivemTheAxe said:

bearsandgiants said:

The staff does not hold back players who can help now and make them redshirt. Wilcox wants desperately to win now. If a guy will make a meaningful impact as a true freshman, he'll play. Oladejo, Rutchena, and Hearns played major roles as true frosh. None of them were highly-rated or highly recruited. Neither Terry or Latu redshirted, either, playing largely special teams, though Latu did have a nice TD catch vs. Colorado. But Terry was coming off a serious medical issue and was not ready to contribute more at TE. If he was, he would've played there, especially since he didn't redshirt. Latu they had to use in spots, largely because he still had a lot of strength to gain and was playing really light last season and he was new to the position. He's up to 230 now from @210 and is in a much better position to be a factor at TE.

Terry looks like a completely different player. The difference between him in spring ball as an early entry guy his first spring and also in fall camp vs. where he was this spring nd right now in fall camp is stark. He's strong, healthy, quick, is holding on to balls and looks like a real weapon.

Sturdivant not only missed much of last season with his broken hand but he wasn't holding on to balls in practice. There was some concern there. It happened when he saw a pass come his way in a game, too. Ratings don't determine when and how much guys play. He looked SO much better and more confident in the spring. Like a different player.

Millner wasn't ready to play much, either. It might've been a good idea to use him at some point vs. Arizona since Glover was awful but that's about it. He's still a work in progress. It seemed like the gap between Plummer and Millner was fairly close at one point in spring ball but Plummer's far ahead now.
calumnus
MoragaBear said:

calumnus said:

GivemTheAxe said:

bearsandgiants said:

The staff does not hold back players who can help now and make them redshirt. Wilcox wants desperately to win now. If a guy will make a meaningful impact as a true freshman, he'll play. Oladejo, Rutchena, and Hearns played major roles as true frosh. None of them were highly-rated or highly recruited. Neither Terry or Latu redshirted, either, playing largely special teams, though Latu did have a nice TD catch vs. Colorado. But Terry was coming off a serious medical issue and was not ready to contribute more at TE. If he was, he would've played there, especially since he didn't redshirt. Latu they had to use in spots, largely because he still had a lot of strength to gain and was playing really light last season and he was new to the position. He's up to 230 now from @210 and is in a much better position to be a factor at TE.

Terry looks like a completely different player. The difference between him in spring ball as an early entry guy his first spring and also in fall camp vs. where he was this spring nd right now in fall camp is stark. He's strong, healthy, quick, is holding on to balls and looks like a real weapon.

Sturdivant not only missed much of last season with his broken hand but he wasn't holding on to balls in practice. There was some concern there. It happened when he saw a pass come his way in a game, too. Ratings don't determine when and how much guys play. He looked SO much better and more confident in the spring. Like a different player.

Millner wasn't ready to play much, either. It might've been a good idea to use him at some point vs. Arizona since Glover was awful but that's about it. He's still a work in progress. It seemed like the gap between Plummer and Millner was fairly close at one point in spring ball but Plummer's far ahead now.

Right. And Anderson? What was the story there?
MoragaBear
Staff
calumnus said:

MoragaBear said:

calumnus said:

GivemTheAxe said:

bearsandgiants said:

Not sure since I only saw fall camp last year and not practice during the season but he didn't stand out when I was there last fall but totally different story this spring and fall. I can't imagine any scenario where they wouldn't have played him last season if he was healthy and playing then like he is now.
calumnus
MoragaBear said:

calumnus said:

MoragaBear said:

calumnus said:

GivemTheAxe said:

bearsandgiants said:

Not sure since I only saw fall camp last year and not practice during the season but he didn't stand out when I was there last fall but totally different story this spring and fall. I can't imagine any scenario where they wouldn't have played him last season if he was healthy and playing then like he is now.

Obviously players are going to be better a year later if they are working hard and have good coaching, that is not the issue. The question is, were they so bad last year even as 4 star true freshmen that they couldn't have joined the TE and especially WR rotation? Especially on a team that was noticeably lacking in speed? A fast WR with fresh legs doesn't even have to catch a pass to stretch a defense, help fatigue a DB and make your offense more effective. A big, athletic TE in a jumbo package for short yardage?

People complain about our low ranked recruiting classes but it sure seems like we could make better use of the talent we do get. I am just not seeing much creativity on offense.
Big C
calumnus said:

MoragaBear said:

calumnus said:

MoragaBear said:

calumnus said:

GivemTheAxe said:

bearsandgiants said:

Obviously players are going to be better a year later if they are working hard and have good coaching, that is not the issue. The question is, were they so bad last year even as 4 star true freshmen that they couldn't have joined the TE and especially WR rotation? Especially on a team that was noticeably lacking in speed? A fast WR with fresh legs doesn't even have to catch a pass to stretch a defense, help fatigue a DB and make your offense more effective. A big, athletic TE in a jumbo package for short yardage?

People complain about our low ranked recruiting classes but it sure seems like we could make better use of the talent we do get. I am just not seeing much creativity on offense.

Sturdivant did take offensive game snaps and was targeted in the latter part of the season. Not sure what the deal was with Mavin Anderson, except we did have Remigio in the slot.

As for Terry, just because a true freshman is 6-5, 270 and comes in with 4 stars, it doesn't necessarily mean he is a good blocker or receiver (yet). Takes learned technique and desire. In fact, while I'm excited about Terry, he needs to show he can produce (still early!).
MoragaBear
Staff
Why would the staff play so many true freshmen if they worried about redshirting freshmen? Why would they not play some players they thought could help them win while playing others they thought could help them win?

From everything I saw last season, the WRs and TE's who played were the best options to get the job done at that time. But if the WRs and TEs who are now gone were still around, IMO all of Sturdivant, Anderson, Hunter, Terry and Latu are better than all the guys they replaced.
calumnus
MoragaBear said:

Why would the staff play so many true freshmen if they worried about redshirting freshmen? Why would they not play some players they thought could help them win while playing others they thought could help them win?

From everything I saw last season, the WRs and TE's who played were the best options to get the job done at that time. But if the WRs and TEs who are now gone were still around, IMO all of Sturdivant, Anderson, Hunter, Terry and Latu are better than all the guys they replaced.

Sometimes it is loyalty, seniority, lack of imagination.

When Pete Carroll had Lendall White as his returning starting RB, he got freshman Reggie Bush on the field by playing him in the slot and returning kicks as well as backing up White. And that was with a boatload of top WRs.

That same year Tedford had a similar situation with JJ Arrington and Marshawn Lynch, but just used Lynch as Arrington's backup. He did not even try to find a way to have them both (or Justin Forsett) on the field after our top WRs went down with injuries.

The next year we had the best punt returner I've ever seen, Desean Jackson on the team as a freshman.

Jackson had 1 punt return in 2005, in our first game, which of course he took 49 yards for a TD. He had no more chances the entire rest of the season.

In 2005, Tim Mixon was our primary punt returner, but DeCoud, Hampton and Moye all had returns as welL But never Jackson again after that first touch for a 49 yard TD in game 1.

I liked Mixon, but he was just not the electric punt returner (career 56 returns, 12.7 ypa, 1 TD) Jackson was (38 returns 16.7 ypa, 6 TDs) and yes, it was obvious Jackson should have been returning punts as a freshman. That Mixon, DeCoud, Hampton and Moye were returning punts instead of Jackson that year reflected a conservative seniority approach, as far as I could tell.

Back to last year, my point is that a freshman WR does not have to be better than the senior starter, it is not either or, with WRs it is both. Our WRs last year were almost exclusively Remigio, Crawford, Clark and Hunter. Pretty much 4 deep, often with all 4 on the field. Sturdivant had zero catches but was tied with Jardon Roberts for the team lead in solo tackles (?) playing special teams? And Anderson didn't play at all. As I said before, a fast freshman WR does not have to be better than the starter, they can run some deep routes against the opposing CB, tire him out while the starter gets a breather so he can come in fresh and then beat that CB.
MoragaBear
Staff
It sounds like you have your mind made up that Wilcox selectively favored some seniors on offense despite the evidence that he started freshmen at other positions over more experienced players. Not sure how that makes sense when not armed with more info about further details beyond some being out of shape, some not yet being reliable and far enough along in their development but que sera sera.
calumnus
MoragaBear said:

It sounds like you have your mind made up that Wilcox selectively favored some seniors on offense despite the evidence that he started freshmen at other positions over more experienced players. Not sure how that makes sense when not armed with more info about further details beyond some being out of shape, some not yet being reliable and far enough along in their development but que sera sera.

No, I don't think Wilcox has a lot of input on offense. I think he leaves those decisions to be made by Musgrave or the position coach. Thus Wilcox and Sirmon starting freshmen on defense proves nothing about the non-use of our highly rated freshman on offense last year. I just don't see Musgrave utilizing the players well, including play calling, and spending 2020 and half of 2021 trying to turn Garbers into a pocket passer was part of it.

But, hey we were #96 in scoring last year, so what was there to criticize, right?

But that is water under the bridge. Last year is done. I am excited to finally see these guys play this year. Hopefully Musgrave makes great use of them. It seems like our offense could be explosive this year.
Big C
calumnus said:

MoragaBear said:

No, I don't think Wilcox has a lot of input on offense. I think he leaves those decisions to be made by Musgrave or the position coach. Thus Wilcox and Sirmon starting freshmen on defense proves nothing about the non-use of our highly rated freshman on offense last year. I just don't see Musgrave utilizing the players well, including play calling, and spending 2020 and half of 2021 trying to turn Garbers into a pocket passer was part of it.

But, hey we were #96 in scoring last year, so what was there to criticize, right?

But that is water under the bridge. Last year is done. I am excited to finally see these guys play this year. Hopefully Musgrave makes great use of them. It seems like our offense could be explosive this year.

We need to redshirt that young Ott. His first few practices, he hasn't executed his blocks all that well. Looks like he could use a little more seasoning.
MoragaBear
Staff
Not gonna happen
calumnus
Big C said:

calumnus said:

MoragaBear said:

We need to redshirt that young Ott. His first few practices, he hasn't executed his blocks all that well. Looks like he could use a little more seasoning.

Lol. Right, I'm sure he will be better next year.
Rushinbear
calumnus said:

Big C said:

calumnus said:

MoragaBear said:

next month.
movielover
Who gets credit for recruiting all those stud RBs, Tedford, Gould?

Success then breeds success.
Big C
calumnus said:

Big C said:

calumnus said:

MoragaBear said:

Lol, is right: I was kidding. Trying to yank your chain just a bit, calumnus... out of respect.

(and I'm pretty sure MoragaBear was kidding when he pretended to not know i was kidding... he "gets" me )
MoragaBear
Staff
Big C said:

calumnus said:

Big C said:

calumnus said:

MoragaBear said:

Lol, is right: I was kidding. Trying to yank your chain just a bit, calumnus... out of respect.

(and I'm pretty sure MoragaBear was kidding when he pretended to not know i was kidding... he "gets" me )
Ha my response was for those who aren't familiar with the Big C brand of humor
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.