Story Poster
Photo by Twitter / Cal Football
Cal Football

Wilcox Addresses Offensive Struggles, Position Moves and More

October 4, 2022

Coming off the second subpar offensive performance in the last three weeks after their 28-9 loss to Washington State Saturday, it’s clear something is not working on the offensive side of the ball, whether it’s offensive line struggles, quarterbacking, playcalling or something else.

Cal head coach Justin Wilcox was asked today in an abbreviated bye week media session if they might consider using the bye week to introduce some outside voices to the program to help turn things around, whether it be offensive consultants or something else to help jump-start the offense.

“There’s a lot of experience on the offensive staff, different systems, players and schematics and we’re constantly trying to do what’s best for our team and our players,” said Wilcox. “If there was something we could do to be a quick fix in terms of blocking, throwing, catching and running, then yeah, obviously we’d do that. However, we have the know-how. We need to work with our players and coaches and share the responsibility to perform better.

“There’s no excuse. We need to be much better. I think that’s obvious. Are there tweaks? Yeah, absolutely. There are tweaks. But we’re not bringing in eight new people right now. That’s not what’s best for the program.”

The 6th-year head coach knows they're not getting the job done consistently and takes ownership of the missed expectations.

“This is a results-oriented deal we’re in,” said Wilcox. “We have to produce. Coaches -I do- offense, defense, special teams do, the players do. And that’s not undue pressure, that’s just the way that it is. So when we go out and don’t perform to our capability, then there’s gonna be truth being told and it doesn’t always feel good. And it’s not, ‘Hey, it’s okay, just move to the next one.’

“It’s not okay. We can’t accept that. Nobody should. So we talked about that at yesterday’s meeting. I certainly don’t get the feeling that the players are accepting what happened. It happened and we need to learn and grow from it and everybody has a responsibility to be better and be a part of the solution. We’ve got to go out and produce.”

With QB Jack Plummer taking a beating in the fourth quarter of Saturday’s loss, Wilcox was asked if they considered taking the veteran QB earlier than they did before bringing in redshirt frosh backup QB Kai Millner for the last series.

“No, we did not,” said Wilcox. “He came out, he was dinged up and we pulled him out because he was hobbling around a little bit.”

On Plummer’s status for Colorado after the bye, Wilcox noted:

“(He’s) a little bit dinged up but I anticipate him being ready to go after the bye week,” said Wilcox. “We were told it was not a long-term issue.”

In last week’s win over Arizona, soph linebacker Femi Oladejo split time both inside and outside but after the WSU game, it appears OLB is likely to be his future landing spot.

“We think long-term for him, he’s going to be best suited there,” said Wilcox. “We knew even as early as a year ago that it could be a potential landing spot for Femi, just based on his physical development and his size, stature and skill set. So we’re planning on a long-term move. He’s got all the tools to be a very, very good edge player. Doesn’t mean he can’t play inside linebacker but I think in the long run for both he and his future and the team, it’s the best thing.”

The main beneficiary of Oladejo’s move seems to be redshirt soph ILB Mo Iosefa, who got plenty of work on Saturday after being unavailable the first three weeks of the season.

“Last week, Mo got the majority of the reps and Mo has a lot of physical tools to be a good inside linebacker,” said Wilcox. “He still needs to improve. That position -the mike position- needs to get better. We need more production there, both run and pass. What we're looking for is the best combination of guys and when they go in there, they need to earn the right to stay in the game and keep their spot and if we need to add more competition, we will.”

A series of personnel and position moves on the offensive line seemed to pay big dividends in Cal’s big 49-31 win over Arizona last week but vs. WSU, particularly in the second half, the o-line was back to their usual struggles in the loss, giving up four sacks and far too many hurries and QB hits. Might further moves be considered?

“We’re trying to find the best combination of guys who are able to identify the guys they should block then use the proper technique to block them. Obviously, this past week wasn’t nearly good enough in any regard. I believe those guys can play much better and right now, we’re looking at everything, whether it’s positions, techniques, or schemes. Everything’s being assessed right now. Then we’ll have a plan for what’s best moving forward on how to give the guys the best opportunity to go out and play well.”

After the bye week, Cal’s matchup with Colorado in Boulder was announced as a noon kickoff time (11 am pst) where the 3-2/1-1 Bears will look to get back on the winning track against an 0-5 Colorado team in seeming disarray after dismissing head coach Karl Dorrell and his staff after the Buffs fell to Arizona decisively Saturday.

Other stories:

Bears Fall Decisively in the Palouse, 28-9

Bear Insider Ultimate Insider Podcast E39: Cal vs WSU Preview -Video & Transcript

Discussion from...

Wilcox Addresses Offensive Struggles, Position Moves and More

15,922 Views | 93 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Cal Strong!
Bobodeluxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am going to go out on a limb and state that these coaches know something about the footballs.
oski003
Bobodeluxe said:

I am going to go out on a limb and state that these coaches know something about the footballs.

The staff stopped practicing coaching when EA stopped its college football game. Hopefully, it comes back now that players get paid. Musgrave can use some Xbox play calling practice, obviously.
HearstMining
DiabloWags said:

"We need to run faster. We need to jump higher. We need to block better, tackle better, and BE BETTER."

That is all.

This is uncomfortably like the response I'd expect from Mark Fox if he was asked what the bball team needs to do to get into the NCAA tournament.
Arcadiabear
Why is bringing a consulting in such a bad thing? Why did Wilcox dismiss it so quickly when there are PLENTY of coaches who just got fired and would love to be a consultant (Frost, Chryst, etc). Look at what TCU did, they brought in sonny, then sonny went out and proved himself at SMU and they brought him right back

He is saying if there are quick fixes like how to tackle better and how to block better, throw better.

those are not quick fixes, u work all offseason for those. Those are SKILLS that takes years to master. But you know what are quick fixes? playcalling.
BearoutEast67
What foolish banter. Cal has a winning record. Past seasons had past teams, two limited sizably by the pandemic and the City of Berkeley's idiocy. This team will shape its own destiny.
Donate to Cal's NIL at https://calegends.com/donation/
DiabloWags
BearoutEast67 said:

What foolish banter. Cal has a winning record. Past seasons had past teams, two limited sizably by the pandemic and the City of Berkeley's idiocy. This team will shape its own destiny.

Did you even watch the WSU game?

The coaching staff is incompetent.

Or did you not see that they left Plummer in the game when he was clearly injured?

5 for 16 on 3rd down and 31 yards rushing.
4 sacks and 7 tackles for a loss.

Reality check.

"Cults don't end well. They really don't."
heartofthebear
Here's a thought, more linemen, less linebackers. We have LBs sitting the bench (ie Trey Pastor) that could start elsewhere in the pac-12. Meanwhile we don't have enough linemen to rotate and keep fresh.

We have a total of 30 linemen (18 offense and 12 defense) and 22 linebackers on the roster.
Anyone else see a problem with that? Wilcox comes off as objective, but he is just as biased as his predecessor when it comes to positions. Wilcox is a big linebacker guy. Dykes was a big WR guy. I think we had like 18 WRs on the roster under Dykes, many good ones sat the bench. In the meantime we had a dirth of LBs and they would get injured and/or transfer out, leaving us with a poor defense. Same thing is happening now on our lines.

No team needs 18 WRs or 22 linebackers. Yet that is kind of how it's been at Cal for the last decade...massive roster imbalance leading to not enough rotation which leads to injuries and hence a vicious cycle that produces 5-7 seasons.

There is no excuse for this kind of bias and in-balance at this level.

It is even worse in the pros. The 49ers have massive roster imbalance because the GM loves DLs. So the 49ers have a great defense but no offensive line and are marginal at QB. Sound familiar? At least the 49ers knew that it is better to load up on DLs than LBs. And that is why they have more success, because they can generate a pass rush.
BadNewsBear1
BearoutEast67 said:

Oh brother. Winning record???? Three wins against dog**** teams.

This team's destiny is 5-7……at best.
maxer
Cal Strong! said:

Cal Strong wishes that one of the BI or other reporters would ask Wilcox:

"Coach, you have been here for six years. You have recruited every single player on the roster. And you haven't had a winning conference record, and overall you have a sub-.500 record. We all love you. But at this point, what is the plan to get us to the Rose Bowl? Are you the man to do this? And realistically, do you think you can do this in the next five years?"
Wouldn't matter.

"We have a lot of talent on the team, a lot of great coaches, we just have to execute and as coaches we have to put the players in a position to succeed, and if we do that I think that we can accomplish all our goals for this program"
Big C
maxer said:

Cal Strong! said:

"Coach, you have been here for six years. You have recruited every single player on the roster. And you haven't had a winning conference record, and overall you have a sub-.500 record. We all love you. But at this point, what is the plan to get us to the Rose Bowl? Are you the man to do this? And realistically, do you think you can do this in the next five years?"
Wouldn't matter.

"We have a lot of talent on the team, a lot of great coaches, we just have to execute and as coaches we have to put the players in a position to succeed, and if we do that I think that we can accomplish all our goals for this program"
Exactly.

Somebody asks him that, what the heck is he gonna say, who the heck cares and isn't what we care about what he does, not what he says to the media?
Cal Strong!
Big C said:

maxer said:

Cal Strong! said:

Wouldn't matter.

Exactly.

Somebody asks him that, what the heck is he gonna say, who the heck cares and isn't what we care about what he does, not what he says to the media?
Cal Strong would like to know if he understands the problem, and if he understands the standard of success here at Cal. We want a Rose Bowl. 5-8 wins is not good enough.

Reporters ask real questions in several of other fields. Why not Cal football?
72CalBear
PaulCali said:

Pure coach speak. Nothing of real interest in the entire interview.
Kind of reminds me of typical BI speak - criticize the coach. and in turn, explain how much more we know than he does!
DiabloWags
72CalBear said:

PaulCali said:

Pure coach speak. Nothing of real interest in the entire interview.
Kind of reminds me of typical BI speak - criticize the coach. and in turn, explain how much more we know than he does!

I dont think he knows much about offense.
That should be pretty clear after watching him for 6 seasons.
"Cults don't end well. They really don't."
southseasbear
HearstMining said:

Wilcox saying, "This is a results business. We have to produce", is a little disingenuous. He has a contract until 2027 or whenever and knows that Cal can't afford to fire him. I'm not at the point where I think he should be fired, but I now I REALLY regret the last extension he was given.
We can't afford not to fire him. Otherwise we will be left behind as Oregon, Washington, Stanford, and possibly ND join the B1G, and the 4 corner schools go to the Big 12. Knowlton will announce how honored Cal is to join the MWC where we will continue to lose to the likes of WSU, Oregon States, and Nevada (when was the last time we beat them?), struggle against SD St, Fresno, and Boise, and celebrate wins over the likes of San Jose St. and Utah State.

The window is closing.
Fire Knowlton!
Fire Fox!
Put Wilcox in a hot seat!
pasadenaorbust
CaliforniaEternal said:

Translation: Me and my coaching staff have no clue what we're doing. We just got pummeled by a team with a new coach and we have no chance to finish this season with a winning conference record. Luckily, I work for the most inept administration in FBS so all I have to do is talk about what a great experience the student athletes are having and they're happy. What a great life I have!
Where Wilcox really lost me this season was when a reporter asked him about Notre Dame about a week and half after the game. His response was something like... "You mean that game two weeks ago...that game?" Yes...that game Justin, that's the one. The one that some Cal fans had circled for almost a year and spent thousands of dollars to travel to Indiana to watch your team perform. That's the one. The one where your administration and staff did nothing special for, while watching Notre Dame green out for...that game.
oski003
pasadenaorbust said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

Translation: Me and my coaching staff have no clue what we're doing. We just got pummeled by a team with a new coach and we have no chance to finish this season with a winning conference record. Luckily, I work for the most inept administration in FBS so all I have to do is talk about what a great experience the student athletes are having and they're happy. What a great life I have!
Where Wilcox really lost me this season was when a reporter asked him about Notre Dame about a week and half after the game. His response was something like... "You mean that game two weeks ago...that game?" Yes...that game Justin, that's the one. The one that some Cal fans had circled for almost a year and spent thousands of dollars to travel to Indiana to watch your team perform. That's the one. The one where your administration and staff did nothing special for, while watching Notre Dame green out for...that game.

Should he be talking about Notre Dame this week too? After all, it is the infamous bye week. At what point is it okay to not talk about excuses for a previous loss, even if they are legitimate?
93Bear
Bobodeluxe said:

But just about every game they look like they know less than the opposing coaching staff. By a significant margin.
6956bear
southseasbear said:

HearstMining said:

Wilcox saying, "This is a results business. We have to produce", is a little disingenuous. He has a contract until 2027 or whenever and knows that Cal can't afford to fire him. I'm not at the point where I think he should be fired, but I now I REALLY regret the last extension he was given.
We can't afford not to fire him. Otherwise we will be left behind as Oregon, Washington, Stanford, and possibly ND join the B1G, and the 4 corner schools go to the Big 12. Knowlton will announce how honored Cal is to join the MWC where we will continue to lose to the likes of WSU, Oregon States, and Nevada (when was the last time we beat them?), struggle against SD St, Fresno, and Boise, and celebrate wins over the likes of San Jose St. and Utah State.

The window is closing.
The buyout is $3.6M. Goes up each year til the end of his contract. Essentially whatever his annual salary is. So it will never be less expensive than now if that is the direction they choose. But the losses in donor support, season tickets etc will make it more expensive to retain than remove.

Cal's on field results this season likely do not matter in regards to conference realignment. That cake has been baked over the past several seasons. But as long as Cal is in a P5 conference and paying a very nice salary to the HC he owes the fans whatever it takes to improve the on field product.
Econ141
southseasbear said:

HearstMining said:

The window is closing.

Oh man - I can't wait for the hype video and message he will creat when we join MWC because doing so "is what is best for ALL of our student athletes."

#RevenueSportsMatter.
Bobodeluxe
93Bear said:

Bobodeluxe said:

But just about every game they look like they know less than the opposing coaching staff. By a significant margin.
That may be true.
Cal Strong!

WHAT IS THE DOWNSIDE OF ASKING THIS?
Big C
Cal Strong! said:

Having to hear more "coach speak". Tell me how he could answer those questions that would please you?
okaydo
Cal Strong! said:

Woah.

I got to sit next to Wilcox on the BART ride from Powell to Downtown Berkeley this morning.

After discussing Season 2 of Starz's "P-Valley" and Harry Styles' new album "Harry's House," I posed your question to him word for word.

Here's his response:

"We need to play 60 minutes of good football. There are no easy games in this league. We're not where we need to be yet, but we're getting closer. We need to play more consistently if we want to win this one. Offensively, we need more explosive plays. We need to be more efficient with the ball. We have to play how we're capable of playing. We have to control the tempo. Our guys gave it everything they had. The game was really a lot closer than the final score would indicate. Both teams were playing at a high level. This team has showed a lot of pride , poise, character and heart."
KenBurnski
KenBurnski said:

Lol. the most specific he's ever been in an interview was shooting down the horrifying idea of bringing in an outside voice to help out the O. He could have just done his typical "evaluating everything" but nah.

I listened again because I'm a weirdo and I think he says "not replacing EIGHT coaches." So . . .
Cal Strong!
Big C said:

Cal Strong! said:

Having to hear more "coach speak". Tell me how he could answer those questions that would please you?
It not about pleasing Cal Strong. It about communicating with him the expectations and seeing if he understands them. Then seeing if he has a plan or even a goal to get us there.

Reporters ask him all sorts of silly questions. Why not mix it up and ask one important one?
Golden One
Big C said:

Cal Strong! said:

He should say: "I regret that I have failed to deliver winning football at Cal. The players and fans of Cal football deserve a more competitive program than I have been able to provide. Therefore, I resign my position of Head Football Coach, effective immediately."
okaydo
Wilcox should say: "It's tough to win an environment filled with woke students, cancel culture and Jewish-free zones. To quote Joe Rogan, 'To me, comedy is a great occupation because I don't really worry that much about what other people think of me.'"
Big C
Cal Strong! said:

Big C said:

Cal Strong! said:

It not about pleasing Cal Strong. It about communicating with him the expectations and seeing if he understands them. Then seeing if he has a plan or even a goal to get us there.

Reporters ask him all sorts of silly questions. Why not mix it up and ask one important one?

"Are you the man to do this?" Classic example of what I'm talking about: How's he going to answer that?
maxer
Big C said:

Cal Strong! said:

Big C said:

Cal Strong! said:

"Are you the man to do this?" Classic example of what I'm talking about: How's he going to answer that?

"I'm blessed to coach these student athletes at this great institution and I'm going to do my absolute best to achieve the high goals that I, the student-athletes, and the fans have for the program".

I can do this all day.
72CalBear
okaydo said:

Cal Strong! said:

Woah.

I got to sit next to Wilcox on the BART ride from Powell to Downtown Berkeley this morning.

After discussing Season 2 of Starz's "P-Valley" and Harry Styles' new album "Harry's House," I posed your question to him word for word.

Here's his response:

"We need to play 60 minutes of good football. There are no easy games in this league. We're not where we need to be yet, but we're getting closer. We need to play more consistently if we want to win this one. Offensively, we need more explosive plays. We need to be more efficient with the ball. We have to play how we're capable of playing. We have to control the tempo. Our guys gave it everything they had. The game was really a lot closer than the final score would indicate. Both teams were playing at a high level. This team has showed a lot of pride , poise, character and heart."
He'll be looking for a different seat next time. I've run into Tedford several times while coaching and even stayed in contact with Holmoe when he left for BYU. Having a casual conversation when someone isn't working and on duty always makes me want to ask more basic and general questions, like "How's the family? etc. I don't pity a high paid coach like Wilcox when he's off duty, but shy away from business questions. Being a teacher and owning my own business, I don't like that myself. Yet, I never was responsible for such a huge enterprise as being a HC for a major college team. I like Wilcox and simply hope he spends more time and money on recruiting big mean linemen!
calumnus
Arcadiabear said:

Why is bringing a consulting in such a bad thing? Why did Wilcox dismiss it so quickly when there are PLENTY of coaches who just got fired and would love to be a consultant (Frost, Chryst, etc). Look at what TCU did, they brought in sonny, then sonny went out and proved himself at SMU and they brought him right back

He is saying if there are quick fixes like how to tackle better and how to block better, throw better.

those are not quick fixes, u work all offseason for those. Those are SKILLS that takes years to master. But you know what are quick fixes? playcalling.

Agree 100%. Playcalling is the immediate fix. It might not make us a Rose Bowl team, but with better playcalling we would have beaten Notre Dame and WSU, we'd be undefeated with UW coming to Memorial. We'd be ranked. We'd likely be hosting Game Day. There would be buzz around the program heading into the matchups against the conference powers.

Didn't Peterson bring Tedford in as a consultant at UW?
okaydo
72CalBear said:

okaydo said:

Cal Strong! said:

Woah.

Here's his response:

He'll be looking for a different seat next time. I've run into Tedford several times while coaching and even stayed in contact with Holmoe when he left for BYU. Having a casual conversation when someone isn't working and on duty always makes me want to ask more basic and general questions, like "How's the family? etc. I don't pity a high paid coach like Wilcox when he's off duty, but shy away from business questions. Being a teacher and owning my own business, I don't like that myself. Yet, I never was responsible for such a huge enterprise as being a HC for a major college team. I like Wilcox and simply hope he spends more time and money on recruiting big mean linemen!

It's a joke. I had hoped it'd be obvious since I googled "coachspeak.".
calumnus
KenBurnski said:

KenBurnski said:

Lol. the most specific he's ever been in an interview was shooting down the horrifying idea of bringing in an outside voice to help out the O. He could have just done his typical "evaluating everything" but nah.

I listened again because I'm a weirdo and I think he says "not replacing EIGHT coaches." So . . .

Yeah, I caught that too. It was a deflection. A paper tiger. He doesn't want to make a small change (bring in a consultant) so he answers a different absurd question, as if the reporter suggested firing the entire staff.
calumnus
72CalBear said:

okaydo said:

Cal Strong! said:

Woah.

Here's his response:

So if he recruits big mean linemen to be freshmen next year in year 7, maybe we have a good line by 2025 in year 9? Problem is they would be blocking for a bunch of 2 stars at that point. And with Musgrave's playcalling, his supporters complaining about our slow WRs not getting open.

"Getting a better OL" is not a solution, It takes time to build one. He has already been given 6 years are we really going to sit through 8 years of losing to get there? It is a great longer term goal, but if you don't come up with a short term solution you cannot implement your long term goals.

The solution has to be to do better with what you have first. We need better playcalling. Immediately.
Arcadiabear
calumnus said:

72CalBear said:

okaydo said:

Cal Strong! said:

Woah.

Here's his response:

So if he recruits big mean linemen to be freshmen next year in year 7, maybe we have a good line by 2025 in year 9? Problem is they would be blocking for a bunch of 2 stars at that point. And with Musgrave's playcalling, his supporters complaining about our slow WRs not getting open.

"Getting a better OL" is not a solution, It takes time to build one. He has already been given 6 years are we really going to sit through 8 years of losing to get there? It is a great longer term goal, but if you don't come up with a short term solution you cannot implement your long term goals.

The solution has to be to do better with what you have first. We need better playcalling. Immediately.

Yup, and in addition to that, keep blaming execution is blaming it on the players.

How about blame it on yourself, if you know that we can't block for an extended period of time, but you call long pass plays that take a long time to develop, WHO is really not executing here? The players? or the coaches are failing them?

Love the analogy by the other poster for cooking. If u got something that doens't taste right with the dish but u INSIST on putting it in the dish, do u then blame the ingredients?

Sometimes i feel that they say "we do better at practice" is such a naive take on the talent we have. I think these coaches doesn't recognize the talent differential between us and some of the other programs. They think that since our OL blocked our DL in practice that they can then now "execute" any given Saturday. And then we get smacked around when we get on the field and now they blame our players for not executing. Being real with ourselves, our talent level on the team, and MAXIMIZE the talent we have is what they should be doing instead..
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.