Story Poster
Cal Football

Bears Fall in Brutal Overtime Loss to Previously Winless Colorado

October 15, 2022

BOULDER, COLORADO -50,471 Colorado fans saw their team put together their best game of the season Saturday at Folsom Field, pulling off an upset over the Bears with a dramatic 20-13 overtime win over Cal.

It’s unusual for a midseason game against a winless opponent to be considered a must-win game but with a tough stretch against Washington, Oregon and USC (a combined 15-3 headed into this weekend) coming up, a loss to Colorado would almost certainly throw the season into disarray.

Consider it in disarray.

Head coach Justin Wilcox was as angry and frustrated as he’s ever been, justifiably so after today’s poor performance by both players and coaches.

“You can’t win scoring one touchdown,” said Wilcox. “You’ve got to put the ball in the end zone. Credit to them. They did it more than we did.

“Every week is hard to win, regardless of who you’re playing at this level and what their record may or may not be. Our guys didn’t have a lackadaisical week of practice. We didn’t take the week off the week prior. We knew we would come in and they would have renewed energy. We’d get their best game and everybody at this level can play.

“We have to execute better. We have to block, run, throw, catch, move the ball down the field, put it in the end zone. On defense, we need to tackle on the perimeter, you have to bat the ball down on the deep ball. When you have the opportunity to kick a field goal, you make the field goal. If you don’t, you’re gonna get beat. I don’t care who you’re playing. That’s what happened...You give them credit but boy, looking at ourselves, you just don’t win football games playing like we did today.”

The Bears’ offense was dreadful in the first half. Seven first-half possessions resulted just two missed Dario Longhetto field goals, a Jack Plummer interception, a turnover on downs at the Buffs’ 19 and two punts.

The lone points in the half came on a 31-yard Cole Becker field goal with 4:11 left in the half to give Colorado their 3-0 halftime lead.

Plummer was out of sync all half, completing just 11-of-22 passes for 80 yards along with the interception. The line was also unable to open holes in the running game, giving up 5 TFLs and gaining only 23 net yards on the ground.

The Bears were finally able to get things going in the third quarter, putting together a 7-play, 47-yard drive culminating on a beautiful diving 14-yard TD grab by receiver J.Michael Sturdivant to go up 7-3 with 5:49 left in the third quarter.

The Bears took the 7-3 lead into the fourth quarter but it didn’t last long as the Buffs took advantage of a short field for a 58-yard TD drive. Trying to shake things up, the Buffs replaced McCown with backup JT Shrout but most of the damage on the drive was done on a tailback pass from Jordyn Tyson to receiver Montana Lemonius-Craig for 37 yards to the Cal 5. Two plays later, tailback Anthony Hankins and the Colorado OL powered it in from 1 to take back the lead at 10-7 with 14:25 left in the game.

With Colorado driving at midfield on their next possession, receiver Deion Smith took in a Shrout pass and was stopped on a thundering hit by cornerback Collin Gamble, forcing a fumble recovered by OLB Xavier Carlton at the Colorado 45. A 15-yard illegal hands-to-the-face call on Colorado moved the ball to the Buffs’ 30. A big catch and run by TE Jermaine Terry moved the ball to the Colorado 15. The drive stalled there, however as the Bears had to settle for a 27-yard Longhetto field goal to tie the game with 10:20 remaining. 

Colorado got the ball moving the next possession with a pair of 12 and 19-yard completions to Lemonius-Craig and 17 yards to Arias to move into scoring territory. A Hankerson run pushed the ball to the Buffs’ 4 but the Bears’ defense stood strong, forcing a short Colorado field goal to give the Buffs a 13-10 lead with 4:30 left.

The Bears went on the move on the next possession, using 6, 10 and 5 yard completions to receiver Mason Starling, who received his first playing time of the year after being held out by a fall camp injury and a pair of completions to receiver Mavin Anderson for 15 and 20 yards but the Bears’ drive stalled at the CU 16. Longhetto converted on the 34-yard field goal as time expired with the game knotted at 13. 

The Bears won the coin toss, opting to go on defense first. They appeared to hold Colorado to a field goal opportunity when Buff receiver Lemonius-Craig was ruled out of bounds on an acrobatic catching the corner of the end zone but the call was overturned to put the Buffs up 20-13 after the PAT.

The Bears had a chance to tie it and force a second overtime but a pair of catchable balls to Starling and tight end Keleki Latu fell harmlessly to the end zone turf as the joyous Colorado fans rushed the field to celebrate their first win of the season.

As poorly as the Bears executed, Colorado on their end played inspired football from start to finish, clearly responding well to interim head coach Mike Sanford’s challenge to up their game as they prepared for the chance to get on the board with a win. Colorado players talked in the postgame after about the renewed energy they were feeling and several pregame traditions the new coach brought back for the game today. The Colorado fans deserve an assist, as well, as the 50k crowd sensed the upset possibility from the opening snap and nothing about the Bears’ play throughout most of the day gave them reason to think otherwise.

Plummer, possibly playing tentatively after still being substantially sore from the beating his took at WSU, never found a rhythm, finishing 29-52 (56%) for 262 yards and 1 TD and 1 INT. He was sacked twice on the day, with the biggest one coming on 3rd-and-goal at the CU 9 as the Bears were attempting to win at the end of regulation, forcing the final field goal.

How do the 3-3/1-2 Bears move forward after today?

“You show up ready to work on Monday, you eat the loss and you internalize it,” said Wilcox. “It should feel terrible. You should be outraged about how you played. if you don’t perform to your best, then you’ve got to come back and work. You can’t put your hood on and hide from everybody. You stick your chest out and go to work and you own it. Everybody- coaches, players, everybody. The entire program owns it. It started with me. I take responsibility for the performance and the team. That was not good enough.”

“I was never not confident in the guys or our team’s ability,” said Sirmon. “There’s no sense of give-up or not caring. I think people are upset and rightfully so. I would be concerned if people weren’t upset. Being upset at something like this shows you care. People are upset and we’ll try to use that to our advantage.”

“There’s no trust lost. No love lost,” said Sturdivant. “We’re still close. This is a tough one. We’ve got to take this one on the chin. It’s not the last game of the season. We’re just going to keep pushing forward. We’ve got a whole season ahead of us. We’ve just got to keep going. We trust each other. We love each other. We’ve got a lot of football to play with each other.”

Receiver Mavin Anderson had his best game of the season with 6 catches for 61 yards, including a late game 20-yarder. Sturdivant also had 6 catches for 45 yards including his TD grab. Running back Jaydn Ott saw little daylight much of the day, totalling 47 yards on 16 carries in the loss.

On defense, the Bears were led by MLB Jackson Sirmon with 8 tackles, 1 TFL, 1 interception and 1 pass breakup. Cornerback Collin Gamble also had his best game of the season with 7 tackles, 3 TFL, a pass breakup and a forced fumble. Overall, the Bears were outgained 328 to 297 yards.

The Bears will be back to Memorial Stadium for the first time in three weeks in next Saturday’s 7:30 pm kickoff vs. Washington.

Related:

Bear Insider Ultimate Insider Podcast E41: Cal-Colorado Preview - Audio & Video

Discussion from...

Bears Fall in Brutal Overtime Loss to Previously Winless Colorado

8,239 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by OdontoBear66
Dgoldnbaer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We lost - quite possibly - to a 1- win team for the 2nd consecutive year. If such occurs, I think it will be the 1st time in Cal football history.

Bleeping program -- is lowest it's been Since the Marv Levy days, maybe lower. And no existing vision for positive change.
Golden One
Dgoldnbaer said:

We lost - quite possibly - to a 1- win team for the 2nd consecutive year. If such occurs, I think it will be the 1st time in Cal football history.

Bleeping program -- is lowest it's been Since the Marv Levy days, maybe lower. And no existing vision for positive change.

I was a student during the Marv Levy days. This is worse than Marv Levy
DiabloWags
Wilcox sounds pretty pissed off (for him) in this presser.
Gotta think that Angus McClure wont be around for much longer because "Everything starts up front"

"Cults don't end well. They really don't."
ducky23
I was a student during holmoe. At least we had the band and deltha.

And then we could look forward to basketball season

This is the lowest I've seen cal sports in my lifetime
DiabloWags
It's sad that the beat writers ask such non-specific, yet "touchy feely" questions like:

"How tough is it to have a terribly successful year and then come in here and have a game like this?"

"Coach, how big was that sack after regulation, after the team was moving down the field and ripping off big chunks?"

Are you freaking KIDDING ME???

How about specifically asking why a game plan was drawn up in which they didnt have Jaydn Ott running out in SPACE with his speed and talent, and instead running straight between the tackles every single time he touched the ball?

Faraudo was the only reporter who asked about why Cal wasnt able to run the ball well.

The kind of GAME PLAN that produced 19 yards of rushing after 3 quarters!

But it didnt seem like Coach Wilcox wanted to call out the play-calling or Musgrave.

Ugh.
KoreAmBear
DiabloWags said:

Gotta think that Angus McClure wont be around for much longer because "Everything starts up front"

Or he could be thinking the players are just not executing and will be loyal to Angus and Musgrave forever.
KoreAmBear
ducky23 said:

I was a student during holmoe. At least we had the band and deltha.

And then we could look forward to basketball season

This is the lowest I've seen cal sports in my lifetime

We don't have cheerleaders or dance crew either. You're welcome.
calfanz
Go Padres!
DiabloWags
KoreAmBear said:

DiabloWags said:

Or he could be thinking the players are just not executing and will be loyal to Angus and Musgrave forever.

He certainly appears to throw an awful lot of shade to the play-calling.
Jeff Faraudo asked him specifically about why they werent able to run the ball.
Almost sounded like he had an issue with the players not able to "execute".

Robocheme
DiabloWags said:

It's sad that the beat writers ask such non-specific, yet "touchy feely" questions like:

"How tough is it to have a terribly successful year and then come in here and have a game like this?"

"Coach, how big was that sack after regulation, after the team was moving down the field and ripping off big chunks?"

How about specifically asking why a game plan was drawn up in which they didnt have Jaydn Ott running out in SPACE with his speed and talent, and instead running straight between the tackles every single time he touched the ball?

Ferrado was the only reporter who asked about why Cal wasnt able to run the ball well.

But it didnt seem like Coach Wilcox wanted to call out the play-calling or Musgrave.

Ugh.

Or how about "will you consider removing your Offensive Coordinator?"
BearoutEast67
Can we recruit a place kicker with a range over 40 yards please?
Donate to Cal's NIL at https://calegends.com/donation/
calumnus
BearoutEast67 said:

To get a good one might have to offer a scholarship and have only 23 linebackers.
DiabloWags
calumnus said:

BearoutEast67 said:

To get a good one might have to offer a scholarship and have only 23 linebackers.
lol
CaliforniaEternal
This is the worst Cal loss in decades. I can't even remember a loss to a worse team since 2002. The game last year at Arizona had some extenuating circumstances but this one is just a flat out embarrassment.
ducky23
DiabloWags said:

KoreAmBear said:

DiabloWags said:

How do you have a player as good as Ott and have a 1.6 ypc against arguably one of the worst run defenses in the entire country?

If angus had any pride at all, he would resign
heartofthebear
DiabloWags said:

Faraudo was the only reporter who asked about why Cal wasnt able to run the ball well.

Ugh.

Years from now we will look back on the Christ/Knowlton era and wonder why it was allowed to go on so long.
DiabloWags

heartofthebear
CaliforniaEternal said:

This is the worst Cal loss in decades. I can't even remember a loss to a worse team since 2002. The game last year at Arizona had some extenuating circumstances but this one is just a flat out embarrassment.
I believe Holmoe lost to Rutgers, which was pretty bad at the time.
But as bad as Rutgers was, this Colorado team was rated worse.
Furthermore it was a bad matchup for Colorado based on their poor rushing D.
Cal had Ott and I was expecting big things.
KoreAmBear
heartofthebear said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

No we beat Rutgers in 2001 that was our one win.
calumnus
KoreAmBear said:

heartofthebear said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

And we knew change was coming. Moreover, with Gladstone in charge we knew he would recognize and hire a fellow great coach. And he did. With Knowlton in charge it feels like we are doomed.
calumnus
ducky23 said:

DiabloWags said:

KoreAmBear said:

DiabloWags said:

How do you have a player as good as Ott and have a 1.6 ypc against arguably one of the worst run defenses in the entire country?

When OTt was in the game Colorado stuffed the box and sold out to stop the run up the middle. So what did we do? We ran Ott up the middle. Our OL would have to be superhuman to make that work. Worse, we know they are not superhuman. Firing Angus will not improve the team immediately, but firing Musgrave will.
Golden One
ducky23 said:

DiabloWags said:

KoreAmBear said:

DiabloWags said:

So would Wilcox.
Doc-From-74
So bring back Gladstone and let the housecleaning begin. At least he's proven to have a brain that's able to separate his ears.
heartofthebear
KoreAmBear said:

heartofthebear said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

Oh that's right.
Well that makes it even worse.
gardenstatebear
calumnus said:

KoreAmBear said:

heartofthebear said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

And we knew change was coming. Moreover, with Gladstone in charge we knew he would recognize and hire a fellow great coach. And he did. With Knowlton in charge it feels like we are doomed.
I was at the Cal-Rutgers game. A Rutgers fan turned to me and said, "Is Kyle Boller a senior?" "No," I said. "He's got another year of eligibility." "Wow," the fan replied,"He's got a good arm." And Jeff Tedford was able to take advantage of that.
Big C
calumnus said:

ducky23 said:

DiabloWags said:

KoreAmBear said:

DiabloWags said:

When OTt was in the game Colorado stuffed the box and sold out to stop the run up the middle. So what did we do? We ran Ott up the middle. Our OL would have to be superhuman to make that work. Worse, we know they are not superhuman. Firing Angus will not improve the team immediately, but firing Musgrave will.

After we ran Ott up the gut time and time again on 1st down, on 2nd and 9, we'd go empty set, and have Plummer loft the ball out there somewhere! It was unbelievable.
calumnus
gardenstatebear said:

calumnus said:

KoreAmBear said:

heartofthebear said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

I was at the Cal-Rutgers game. A Rutgers fan turned to me and said, "Is Kyle Boller a senior?" "No," I said. "He's got another year of eligibility." "Wow," the fan replied,"He's got a good arm." And Jeff Tedford was able to take advantage of that.

Boller was the #1 QB recruit. Even his backup, Reggie Robertson, would prove to be a good college QB with a good OC. Igber set the Hawaii state rushing record at nerdy Iolani. Geoff MArthur lead the nation in receiving yardage on high school. We had talent all over the place, which many of us argued while Holmoe's insider defenders criticized the players (especially the offensive line) and blamed our facilities and Cal admissions.
ducky23
Big C said:

calumnus said:

ducky23 said:

DiabloWags said:

KoreAmBear said:

DiabloWags said:

After we ran Ott up the gut time and time again on 1st down, on 2nd and 9, we'd go empty set, and have Plummer loft the ball out there somewhere! It was unbelievable.

This is what pisssses me off the most. They had the bye week to self evaluate and make significant changes with the offense.

But based on today's performance, it's clear that they believed that their offensive philosophy was sound and that they players just needed to execute better.

Big C
ducky23 said:

Big C said:

calumnus said:

ducky23 said:

DiabloWags said:

KoreAmBear said:

DiabloWags said:

This is what pisssses me off the most. They had the bye week to self evaluate and make significant changes with the offense.

But based on today's performance, it's clear that they believed that their offensive philosophy was sound and that they players just needed to execute better.

The bye week... and then they come out against freaking Colorado and barely even move the ball in the first half (no less score). I was ready to throw my glass of chardonnay through the TV set!
kal kommie
He put the blame for the loss on the offense generally and the OL specifically, but no reporter asked if he was considering replacing McClure or Musgrave. No reporter asked why the offense has always been the problem during his tenure at Cal. No one asked what he intended to do to fix the offense problem.
m2bear
kal kommie said:

He put the blame for the loss on the offense generally and the OL specifically, but no reporter asked if he was considering replacing McClure or Musgrave. No reporter asked why the offense has always been the problem during his tenure at Cal. No one asked what he intended to do to fix the offense problem.
I laughed. Wilcox is the problem.
Bobodeluxe
Chardonnay for all!

The rebellion has begun!
concordtom
Based upon the postgame scenery, I think it's pretty cool that the Colorado fans were nearly as excited to beat us as Tennessee was to beat 'Bama!

We've arrived!
OdontoBear66
ducky23 said:

DiabloWags said:

KoreAmBear said:

DiabloWags said:

And if JW had any b*lls he would fire him. Hell with letting him resign. His performance deserves a firing on his resume'
TheFiatLux
Reporter:
"How do you prepare your team for a game like this."

Coach:
"Do what we do every week."

Ah, I think I see the problem.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.