Question about east side seating at Memorial

1,236 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by heartofthebear
heartofthebear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I bought tickets in section U, which is on the east side because the deals were far better over there. I also don't have a problem sitting on the east side at night when there is no chance of baking in the sun.
I've either sat on the north or west side for the last 15 years.
I can't remember the last time I sat on the east side, but it might have been the 1982 big game (yes I was there).

I am used to the convenience of going into the concourse for food and restroom.
Can anyone give me the lowdown on the east side?
What is the food like? Are lines long?
Are there porto potties?
Do you have to go up to the top for everything or are you allowed to cross over to the west side concourse?
bearsandgiants
It's been a year since I've been able to attend a home game, but East Side is not the ideal experience. You have to go up top for food and restrooms (yes they're all porta potties), and the lines are long (when it's a crowded game, which shouldn't be a problem this year, or maybe ever ). You are free to go up top and then walk all the way around the stadium for other food, drink and real bathrooms, but it's a trek. The actual game experience is better on the East side, in my opinion, though, as the fans are a bit more boisterous and the students are on that side. Harder to hear the band, though. Lastly, if the Big One hits, you may be saved while the alumni on the west side may all sink into the core of the earth, despite our billion-dollar attempt to not let that happen. Go Bears!
Bobodeluxe
No fences, so you can go wherever. Portopotties are clean, and inviting. Really nothing on the top above U but fast food and beer, so you can walk down the long stairway on north, or the long way along the rim to the southeast.
heartofthebear
Thanks folks.
I think the plan is to migrate to the west end, if possible.
chalcidbear
"bearsandgiants" nailed it, but I wanted to emphasize one of those points: it's very difficult to hear the band when they're playing from their seats. Also, you can't see the halftime card stunts, since those are no longer shown on the video boards.
TomBear
The fact that the stunts are no longer on the screens is further evidence, to me, that the marketing people/AD do not understand the Cal football experience. And while it's not the worst thing about this season, it's just another example of the AD dropping the ball and trying to make Cal football Saturdays as generic ("me too") as possible.

The Band should also be shown on the screens.
HearstMining
All the above is accurate about the East Side, but I'll mention two additional things:
1. There are (or at least used to be) some different food options there.
2. While you're standing in line for food or walking to the porta's, that view of the Bay Area from the top is something special.
fight4california
I sort of figured they weren't consistently showing the card stunts on the screens because they've been.... uh... not great... this year. I think they have had them up a few times, and I'm not sure I've been able to make out even a single one.
Oski87
fight4california said:

I sort of figured they weren't consistently showing the card stunts on the screens because they've been.... uh... not great... this year. I think they have had them up a few times, and I'm not sure I've been able to make out even a single one.
That's right - they have been so bad since no-one was sitting in those seats.
KoreAmBear
I only go to 1-2 games a year now. Only west side for me.

maxer
TomBear said:

The fact that the stunts are no longer on the screens is further evidence, to me, that the marketing people/AD do not understand the Cal football experience. And while it's not the worst thing about this season, it's just another example of the AD dropping the ball and trying to make Cal football Saturdays as generic ("me too") as possible.

Considering almost all of the marketing dept quit this summer, I think it's likely that they do not understand the Cal football experience, and likely many other things as well.
KoreAmBear
Lot of low priced seats everywhere for the UW game on TM and Stub Hub. I guess the CU game didn't really do it for us.
oskidunker
Looking for a parking pass for Oregon game , maybe underhill. If you gots one, let me know.
Go Bears!
Golden One
chalcidbear said:

"bearsandgiants" nailed it, but I wanted to emphasize one of those points: it's very difficult to hear the band when they're playing from their seats. Also, you can't see the halftime card stunts, since those are no longer shown on the video boards.
You won't miss anything by not being able to see the "card stunts". No longer are there really card stunts. There is just an unorganized array of colors as some students (not all) hold up cards. That's just another tradition that has gone down the toilet. Today's students just don't seem to be interested in them.
heartofthebear
KoreAmBear said:

Lot of low priced seats everywhere for the UW game on TM and Stub Hub. I guess the CU game didn't really do it for us.

Stub hub's been great all year but it was hard to get price below $40 on west side for this game. So I got section U for $28 a piece, fees included. I believe that deal was through tickpick- AKA razorgator.
KoreAmBear
heartofthebear said:

KoreAmBear said:

Stub hub's been great all year but it was hard to get price below $40 on west side for this game. So I got section U for $28 a piece, fees included. I believe that deal was through tickpick- AKA razorgator.
There are like west side seats in lower rows on the 50 for like less than $80, way below face.
calumnus
maxer said:

TomBear said:

Considering almost all of the marketing dept quit this summer, I think it's likely that they do not understand the Cal football experience, and likely many other things as well.

Story behind that?

Can't say I've been impressed with Cal marketing over the past few years, but I guess it can always get worse.
heartofthebear
Sorry
I don't do lower rows.
KoreAmBear
heartofthebear said:

Sorry
I don't do lower rows.
Then they will be cheaper.

Btw since we raised the seats during the remodel I believe even the first few rows are viewable over the sideline players. But I get that you like a more birdseye view. I like being maybe around rows 10-20.
heartofthebear
KoreAmBear said:

heartofthebear said:

Sorry
I don't do lower rows.
Then they will be cheaper.

Btw since we raised the seats during the remodel I believe even the first few rows are viewable over the sideline players. But I get that you like a more birdseye view. I like being maybe around rows 10-20.

I think we're row 24. I'm willing to go to around 16 or 17 but not much lower than that.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.