Story Poster
Cal Football

Cal Makes Changes To Coaching Staff

November 13, 2022

BERKELEY – Travers Family Head Football Coach Justin Wilcox announced Sunday that offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave and offensive line coach Angus McClure have been relieved of their duties, effective immediately. Both were in their third season on the Golden Bears' coaching staff.

"I felt these changes to our coaching staff were needed and made them with the best interest of our football program in mind," Wilcox said. "We thank Bill and Angus for their contributions and the investments they made in Cal football, and we wish them all of the best in their future endeavors."

The duties Musgrave and McClure were previously responsible for will be handled by current members of the coaching staff for the remainder of the 2022 season.

Discussion from...

Cal Makes Changes To Coaching Staff

21,858 Views | 125 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TheBird
southseasbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So let me get this straight: We have no designated Offensive Coordinator, Special Teams Coordinator, or Offensive Line coach, right?
Fire Knowlton!
Fire Fox!
Put Wilcox in a hot seat!
Bobodeluxe
southseasbear said:

So let me get this straight: We have no designated Offensive Coordinator, Special Teams Coordinator, or Offensive Line coach, right?
Did we before?
southseasbear
Bobodeluxe said:

southseasbear said:

Did we before?
Good point!
Fire Knowlton!
Fire Fox!
southseasbear
I have an idea: Knowlton and his search firm can call the plays. What could go wrong?
Fire Knowlton!
Fire Fox!
Alkiadt
southseasbear said:

Greatwood and Chryst will handle O Line and OC.

calumnus
So Chryst is officially the play caller? With maybe an "advisor" in the press box?
calumnus
Alkiadt said:

southseasbear said:

Doesn't Greatwood need to be on staff to work with the players?
Alkiadt
calumnus said:

Alkiadt said:

southseasbear said:

Well there's an interim spot open on the staff now for that position.
bearsandgiants
This is great news. Gives us a ton of time to find replacements. Lets the team know we're committed to improving in these two slots. There is no hope of a bowl any longer. Now comes the harder part in finding the new ones.
Trumpanzee
southseasbear said:

Technically, there would be no difference if we did or didn't......
KoreAmBear
calumnus said:

So Chryst is officially the play caller? With maybe an "advisor" in the press box?

His dad?
BearGoggles
KoreAmBear said:

calumnus said:

His dad?
you mean brother?
calumnus
Alkiadt said:

calumnus said:

Alkiadt said:

southseasbear said:

Well there's an interim spot open on the staff now for that position.

Yes, but the announcement said "Their duties would be handled by coaches currently on the staff for the remainder of the season."
Alkiadt
KoreAmBear said:

calumnus said:

His dad?

You mean his brother, Paul? No.

Greatwood has been the only consultant. I'd assume he's the acting OLine coach for the next two games.
Gobears49
Alkiadt said:

southseasbear said:

I have suggested for weeks that AT (Aristotle Thompson), our RB coach, would best know the full offense. Chyst would know the OL blocking, maybe, with an assist from Saffell if he i allowed to coach. Greatwood, who I think would be promoted to a full coach, could call the plays from the press box, but does he know our play lingo yet. I don't know. I'm just guessing what makes sense to me. I have zero experience on this subject..
calumnus
Gobears49 said:

Alkiadt said:

southseasbear said:

I have suggested for weeks that AT (Aristotle Thompson), our RB coach, would best know the full offense. Chyst would know the OL blocking, maybe, with an assist from Saffell if he i allowed to coach. Greatwood, who I think would be promoted to a full coach, could call the plays from the press box, but does he know our play lingo yet. I don't know. I'm just guessing what makes sense to me. I have zero experience on this subject..

It certainly ups my interest in the rest of the season.

I've said this before, but Pawlawski knows this team intimately and knows offense. It would be fun to give him a shot these next two weeks.
Alkiadt
Gobears49 said:

Alkiadt said:

southseasbear said:

Chryst has been an NFL OC for one season, so I'd assume he might call the plays. And Saffel is helping with the oline.
KoreAmBear
Alkiadt said:

KoreAmBear said:

calumnus said:

His dad?

Greatwood has been the only consultant. I'd assume he's the acting OLine coach for the next two games.

Lol I thought that was dad.

In any case I want us to make an all in run at Troy Taylor for OC. Being that it's Cal I think he'd do it.
calumnus
KoreAmBear said:

Alkiadt said:

KoreAmBear said:

calumnus said:

His dad?

In any case I want us to make an all in run at Troy Taylor for OC. Being that it's Cal I think he'd do it.

I want a thorough search in the off season, with Taylor at least consulted and considered as almost a Co-HC.

However, he has an undefeated team on his is hands.

As long as we have an interim position I'd like to see what Paws could do. He knows the team and the playbook intimately. Chryst is safe, another failed NFL OC, but Paws would be a a high upside chance. If we beat Stanford and then UCLA, maybe he wins the job? He would be a great recruiter for Cal, that is for sure.
KoreAmBear
calumnus said:

KoreAmBear said:

Alkiadt said:

KoreAmBear said:

calumnus said:

His dad?

I want a thorough search in the off season, with Taylor at least consulted and considered as almost a Co-HC.

As long as we have an interim position I'd like to see what Paws could do. He knows the team and the playbook intimately. Chryst is safe, another failed NFL OC, but Paws would be a a high upside chance. If we beat Stanford and then UCLA, maybe he wins the job? He would be a great recruiter for Cal, that is for sure.
Interim maybe. But Wilcox has to hit a home run now. He can't afford to fail so miserably as this is his last chance at OC before we are in buyout territory. And Paws would be too much of a risk.
gem1111
I can't wait until 2024 when we kick some Division 2 G-MAC ass!
calumnus
KoreAmBear said:

calumnus said:

KoreAmBear said:

Alkiadt said:

KoreAmBear said:

calumnus said:

His dad?

Interim maybe. But Wilcox has to hit a home run now. He can't afford to fail so miserably as this is his last chance at OC before we are in buyout territory. And Paws would be too much of a risk.

I am only talking about Paws as interim, for two games, then back to the booth.

Unless he absolutely kills it.

The search in the off-season needs to be thorough.
KoreAmBear
calumnus said:

KoreAmBear said:

calumnus said:

KoreAmBear said:

Alkiadt said:

KoreAmBear said:

calumnus said:

His dad?

He has no time to learn or show in 2 games to kill it. Unfortunately it's not a great setup for Paws. This reminds me of the only time I saw something like this happen. Pat Riley was the commentator for Chick Hearn when Paul Westhead was fired by Magic midseason lol. Then Pat Riley suddenly became head coach. How did that happen?
Alkiadt
calumnus said:

KoreAmBear said:

calumnus said:

KoreAmBear said:

Alkiadt said:

KoreAmBear said:

calumnus said:

His dad?

Don't you think he'd need to know the complete playbook and all the terminology just to even be able to communicate to the sidelines in a timely fashion? No they'll use Geep most likely, as he's called plays before.

I would not be surprised if Justin has already had multiple inquires to interview for the job now that it's public. This will be done very quickly to be in place for the portal transfer dates.

dmh65
I'm not sure why these two coaches are leaving, was there a problem? Full disclosure: i've just come out of a coma and the last game I watched was when we beat Arizona which was acceptable; have things not been well since then? I hope the changes do not affect us during our bowl game.
oskidunker
They were hired by Ohio State.
Go Bears!
calumnus
KoreAmBear said:

calumnus said:

KoreAmBear said:

calumnus said:

KoreAmBear said:

Alkiadt said:

KoreAmBear said:

calumnus said:

His dad?

He has no time to learn or show in 2 games to kill it. Unfortunately it's not a great setup for Paws. This reminds me of the only time I saw something like this happen. Pat Riley was the commentator for Chick Hearn when Paul Westhead was fired by Magic midseason lol. Then Pat Riley suddenly became head coach. How did that happen?

And Pat Riley went on to win 5 NBA Championships.
calumnus
Alkiadt said:

calumnus said:

KoreAmBear said:

calumnus said:

KoreAmBear said:

Alkiadt said:

KoreAmBear said:

calumnus said:

His dad?

Don't you think he'd need to know the complete playbook and all the terminology just to even be able to communicate to the sidelines in a timely fashion? No they'll use Geep most likely, as he's called plays before.

I would not be surprised if Justin has already had multiple inquires to interview for the job now that it's public. This will be done very quickly to be in place for the portal transfer dates.

Paws has been with the team every week all year. He references the playbook and the terminology in the broadcasts, so I am pretty sure he has a copy.

However, agree that Geep is the more likely choice. I had thought his only experience as OC was 1999 with the Chargers, but I now see he was also the Niner OC in 2015 under Tomsula, when the Niners had one of the "worst offenses in team history."

Niner fans can fill us in.

I'd almost rather see if one of the young guys, Toler or Thompson, is up to it.

Also, there is a lot of Musgrave's playbook that can be discarded.
oskidunker
calumnus said:

Alkiadt said:

calumnus said:

KoreAmBear said:

calumnus said:

KoreAmBear said:

Alkiadt said:

KoreAmBear said:

calumnus said:

His dad?

Paws has been with the team every week all year. He references the playbook and the terminology in the broadcasts, so I am pretty sure he has a copy.

However, agree that Geep is the more likely choice. I had thought his only experience as OC was 1999 with the Chargers, but I now see he was also the Niner OC in 2015 under Tomsula, when the Niners had one of the "worst offenses in team history."

Lets have some pitch outs and passes over the middle to the tight end.
Go Bears!
Trumpanzee
Does it really matter who's running the offense? Stick a fork in us, we're done....
Golden One
oskidunker said:

calumnus said:

Alkiadt said:

calumnus said:

KoreAmBear said:

calumnus said:

KoreAmBear said:

Alkiadt said:

KoreAmBear said:

calumnus said:

His dad?

Wilcox loves runs between the tackles. Don't expect that to change.
calumnus
oskidunker said:

calumnus said:

Alkiadt said:

calumnus said:

KoreAmBear said:

calumnus said:

KoreAmBear said:

Alkiadt said:

KoreAmBear said:

calumnus said:

His dad?

Stanford has the very worst rushing defense in the entire country. #131. They give up 6.0 YPC.

We need to get the ball to our RBs outside in space, with cutback options. And throw off of play action, as you say to the TE over the middle or the WRs deep over the middle. Or quick slants. But mostly use our speed against them, running 35+ times but always looking like we are going to run.
BulaBear3cubs
Rolovich has been helping for awhile, I brought his name up way before it was mentioned on the pay side. Look it up Mods.. And I was right. Made too much sense, he's been back in Novato, easy commute, pac-12 experience, set up WSU pretty good.. Only reason it hasn't been mentioned is probably bc of his Covid stance.
BulaBear3cubs
What I don't understand is why now that you decide to fire these coaches? Bc we are not Bowl eligible? Do it earlier and maybe things change enough for the positive that we possibly make a bowl. Bizarre
Shocky1
Alkiadt said:

KoreAmBear said:

calumnus said:

His dad?

alky, ur wrong again, greatwood has not been the only offensive consultant
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.