Story Poster
Cal Football

Cal Makes Changes To Coaching Staff

November 13, 2022

BERKELEY – Travers Family Head Football Coach Justin Wilcox announced Sunday that offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave and offensive line coach Angus McClure have been relieved of their duties, effective immediately. Both were in their third season on the Golden Bears' coaching staff.

"I felt these changes to our coaching staff were needed and made them with the best interest of our football program in mind," Wilcox said. "We thank Bill and Angus for their contributions and the investments they made in Cal football, and we wish them all of the best in their future endeavors."

The duties Musgrave and McClure were previously responsible for will be handled by current members of the coaching staff for the remainder of the 2022 season.

Discussion from...

Cal Makes Changes To Coaching Staff

22,006 Views | 125 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TheBird
Cal Strong!
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Why do we still have a stanfurd dad on the payroll?
harebear
Andrew Browning isn't white?
Bobodeluxe
Mike Williams was black, a very successful Wall Street type.
calumnus
oski003 said:

calumnus said:

BearGoggles said:

oskidunker said:

BearGoggles said:

calumnus said:

killa22 said:

BulaBear3cubs said:

Rolovich has been helping for awhile, I brought his name up way before it was mentioned on the pay side. Look it up Mods.. And I was right. Made too much sense, he's been back in Novato, easy commute, pac-12 experience, set up WSU pretty good.. Only reason it hasn't been mentioned is probably bc of his Covid stance.

This truly intrigues me. I'd be down to see this redemption arc. Rolo is a great coach.

A great offensive mind. I just don't see how he will be able to recruit African American student athletes to Cal after his actions:

https://nypost.com/2020/08/03/washington-states-nick-rolovich-caught-on-tape-punishing-player-for-unity-plans/amp/

https://apnews.com/article/college-football-sports-health-coronavirus-pandemic-race-and-ethnicity-209b332dce6a3358148faa16141ffb7a

Kicked the guy off the team, because he had an issue with "this racial Justice stuff"? This was national news. It would be too easy to recruit against him. If he was a bad fit for Eastern Washington, discriminating against a kid from Texas, how does he work in Berkeley? I want smart play calling, but that is just half of the equation, we need players too, and that is just being practical and ignoring how wrong what he did was. There has to be better candidates.

I read the article and it appears to say the exact opposite, though its not 100% clear:

"If you say, 'I'm opting out 'cause of COVID and health and safety,' I'm good," Rolovich said, per the transcript. "But this group is going to change, uh, I guess, how things go in the future for everybody, at least at our school. Um, so just think about that is, if it's about getting paid and not (inaudible) about racial justice and that stuff. Then it's probably, it's there's two sides, there's two sides here. I'm good with the Sickle Cell and the COVID, but this, this group is going to be at a different level as far as how we're kind of going to move forward in the future."

https://nypost.com/2020/08/03/washington-states-nick-rolovich-caught-on-tape-punishing-player-for-unity-plans/amp/

He was referring to the player group that made a bunch of demands, some of which related to Covid/health safety, some of which related to racial justice, and some of which related to getting paid/benefits.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29592558/washington-state-ad-says-kassidy-woods-removal-team-activities-not-linked-pac-12-unity-group

I understood Rolo's comments to be directed at the compensation aspects ("getting paid") which could be pretty disastrous to a school like WSU (and Cal for that matter).

And the player in question wanted to opt out but felt he should be entitled to remain in the locker room and participate in some team activities - which makes little sense if your opting out due to COVID . I can see why a coach would not want that distraction. And per the ESPN link above, the WSU AD (the guy who fired Rolovich) explained all of that.

Not saying Rolo is a fit at Cal, but I think he deserves to be presented fairly.
I dont want Rolovich at Cal. Denying that the vaccine works and embracing conspiracy theories does not qualify him here period. I would rather lose every game and willstop donating if he comes here.

And that, in a nutshell, explains why Cal can't field a winning football or men's basketball team. Rolovich is hardly the only person who has/had vaccine hesitancy or religious exemptions. I suspect there are lots of views among Cal athletes/coaches (or for that matter other faculty and students) that are not mainstream and border on conspiracy theories. I guess we kick them out of Cal?

I didn't realize the school that used to be a bastion of free speech (and was the birthplace of the free speech movement) had adopted a litmus test. And in that regard, the current Cal COVID policy (requiring that students take ALL eligible boosters) is out of step with many other authorities/universities, not to mention much of Europe.

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/news-events/ecdc-and-ema-update-recommendations-additional-booster-doses-covid-19-vaccines

Perhaps you should re-evaluate who is being anti-science (and intolerant) here?

Why do you think Rolovich dismissed the players from the team? Rolovich on tape said he had no issue with staying out for health reasons. He had an issue with the "racial Justice stuff." Chun was/is trying to protect WSU from the damage.

Rolovich is being sued by a player for racial discrimination and for violating his 1st admenment rights while suing WSU for violating HIS rights. Cal is being investigated and will likely be sued by swimmers for racial discrimination in the McKeever case. We don't need to take on his baggage, we have enoug of our own.

You are afraid Cal is "woke"? Lead by a lifelong registered Republican hockey player retired Army officer? At a school where, soon after Knowlton and then Fox was hired, every single top athletics administration position and every single head coach job, even every coordinator job on the football team was held by white people? Something like the 40 or 50 top jobs in athletics at Cal. 100% Despite the student body being 80% non-white and being the taxpayer supported flagship of a state that is majority non-white? I do not think a "woke" administration would continue to hire employees from the Midwest and ignore Cal's own well qualified athletics graduates who have to go elsewhere to get jobs in athletics administration. It became a public embarrassment when Knowlton put out a photo of himself and his top assistants with all the coaches. That is one of the reasons Knowlton was pressured to hire Charmin Smith. And I defy you to argue Knowlton or Fox or his other hires were the most qualified candidates. I would argue that is MORE the reason Cal sucks in the revenue sports. We have unqualified administrators and coaches. We hire from narrow pools and not our strengths, especially our own graduates. Cal needs to wake up.

I understand Rolovich is a cause for the right-wing. This is not just about vaccinations. That is not the subject of the lawsuit, though the right wants to focus on that. If he doesn't fly in the Palouse how does he fly in Berkeley?

It is not Cal's job to exonerate him or clear his record. You may think he is innocent. I do not care about your opinion, I care about the opinion of players and recruits. We need to hire the best OC for Cal. He is a brilliant offensive mind. We need that. However I think he is going to have a lot of trouble recruiting African American players, especially smart, well-informed players, ie Cal players, no matter what Bear Goggles thinks is "fair."

If we hire him it will be a big story that will be very negative for Cal football. If he is helping our offense now, why else would they keep it top secret? They KNOW it would be bad if it is public. So go ahead and do it anyway?

We need to improve our play calling AND retain our best skill players and recruit more. We need an OC that can do both.

Vic So'oto isn't white
Andrew Browning isn't white
Aristotle Thompson isn't white
Burl Toler isn't white
Tre Watson isn't white
Brian Johnson isn't white
Andrew Francis isn't white
Marty Wilson isn't white
Charmin Smith isn't white

Your feelings are off base here.

Only Charmin Smith is a "head coach, coordinator in football or a top athletics administrator" and she was hired later in 2019, again after the photo I referenced was taken and the AD received flak.

So not relevant, but
?width=540&height=304&mode=crop

Again, this is all a digression. My point was to refute what I thought was Bear Goggles' assertion that Cal can't win because our athletic department is too PC. He says he didn't say that, so we don't need to clutter the thread with any more of this.

Believe what you want to about Knowlton and Cal athletics, but I do not see them as progressive, imaginative, creative or smart. They have an antiquated view of athletics. That is why we are in the mess we are in.

We can return to speculation about who Wilcox will/should hire for the OC position.

DiabloWags
Bobodeluxe said:

Mike Williams was black, a very successful Wall Street type.

Thaf's Funny.

"Cults don't end well. They really don't."
oski003
calumnus said:

oski003 said:

calumnus said:

BearGoggles said:

oskidunker said:

BearGoggles said:

calumnus said:

killa22 said:

BulaBear3cubs said:

Rolovich has been helping for awhile, I brought his name up way before it was mentioned on the pay side. Look it up Mods.. And I was right. Made too much sense, he's been back in Novato, easy commute, pac-12 experience, set up WSU pretty good.. Only reason it hasn't been mentioned is probably bc of his Covid stance.

This truly intrigues me. I'd be down to see this redemption arc. Rolo is a great coach.

A great offensive mind. I just don't see how he will be able to recruit African American student athletes to Cal after his actions:

https://apnews.com/article/college-football-sports-health-coronavirus-pandemic-race-and-ethnicity-209b332dce6a3358148faa16141ffb7a

Kicked the guy off the team, because he had an issue with "this racial Justice stuff"? This was national news. It would be too easy to recruit against him. If he was a bad fit for Eastern Washington, discriminating against a kid from Texas, how does he work in Berkeley? I want smart play calling, but that is just half of the equation, we need players too, and that is just being practical and ignoring how wrong what he did was. There has to be better candidates.

I read the article and it appears to say the exact opposite, though its not 100% clear:

"If you say, 'I'm opting out 'cause of COVID and health and safety,' I'm good," Rolovich said, per the transcript. "But this group is going to change, uh, I guess, how things go in the future for everybody, at least at our school. Um, so just think about that is, if it's about getting paid and not (inaudible) about racial justice and that stuff. Then it's probably, it's there's two sides, there's two sides here. I'm good with the Sickle Cell and the COVID, but this, this group is going to be at a different level as far as how we're kind of going to move forward in the future."

He was referring to the player group that made a bunch of demands, some of which related to Covid/health safety, some of which related to racial justice, and some of which related to getting paid/benefits.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29592558/washington-state-ad-says-kassidy-woods-removal-team-activities-not-linked-pac-12-unity-group

I understood Rolo's comments to be directed at the compensation aspects ("getting paid") which could be pretty disastrous to a school like WSU (and Cal for that matter).

And the player in question wanted to opt out but felt he should be entitled to remain in the locker room and participate in some team activities - which makes little sense if your opting out due to COVID . I can see why a coach would not want that distraction. And per the ESPN link above, the WSU AD (the guy who fired Rolovich) explained all of that.

Not saying Rolo is a fit at Cal, but I think he deserves to be presented fairly.
I dont want Rolovich at Cal. Denying that the vaccine works and embracing conspiracy theories does not qualify him here period. I would rather lose every game and willstop donating if he comes here.

And that, in a nutshell, explains why Cal can't field a winning football or men's basketball team. Rolovich is hardly the only person who has/had vaccine hesitancy or religious exemptions. I suspect there are lots of views among Cal athletes/coaches (or for that matter other faculty and students) that are not mainstream and border on conspiracy theories. I guess we kick them out of Cal?

I didn't realize the school that used to be a bastion of free speech (and was the birthplace of the free speech movement) had adopted a litmus test. And in that regard, the current Cal COVID policy (requiring that students take ALL eligible boosters) is out of step with many other authorities/universities, not to mention much of Europe.

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/news-events/ecdc-and-ema-update-recommendations-additional-booster-doses-covid-19-vaccines

Why do you think Rolovich dismissed the players from the team? Rolovich on tape said he had no issue with staying out for health reasons. He had an issue with the "racial Justice stuff." Chun was/is trying to protect WSU from the damage.

Rolovich is being sued by a player for racial discrimination and for violating his 1st admenment rights while suing WSU for violating HIS rights. Cal is being investigated and will likely be sued by swimmers for racial discrimination in the McKeever case. We don't need to take on his baggage, we have enoug of our own.

You are afraid Cal is "woke"? Lead by a lifelong registered Republican hockey player retired Army officer? At a school where, soon after Knowlton and then Fox was hired, every single top athletics administration position and every single head coach job, even every coordinator job on the football team was held by white people? Something like the 40 or 50 top jobs in athletics at Cal. 100% Despite the student body being 80% non-white and being the taxpayer supported flagship of a state that is majority non-white? I do not think a "woke" administration would continue to hire employees from the Midwest and ignore Cal's own well qualified athletics graduates who have to go elsewhere to get jobs in athletics administration. It became a public embarrassment when Knowlton put out a photo of himself and his top assistants with all the coaches. That is one of the reasons Knowlton was pressured to hire Charmin Smith. And I defy you to argue Knowlton or Fox or his other hires were the most qualified candidates. I would argue that is MORE the reason Cal sucks in the revenue sports. We have unqualified administrators and coaches. We hire from narrow pools and not our strengths, especially our own graduates. Cal needs to wake up.

I understand Rolovich is a cause for the right-wing. This is not just about vaccinations. That is not the subject of the lawsuit, though the right wants to focus on that. If he doesn't fly in the Palouse how does he fly in Berkeley?

It is not Cal's job to exonerate him or clear his record. You may think he is innocent. I do not care about your opinion, I care about the opinion of players and recruits. We need to hire the best OC for Cal. He is a brilliant offensive mind. We need that. However I think he is going to have a lot of trouble recruiting African American players, especially smart, well-informed players, ie Cal players, no matter what Bear Goggles thinks is "fair."

If we hire him it will be a big story that will be very negative for Cal football. If he is helping our offense now, why else would they keep it top secret? They KNOW it would be bad if it is public. So go ahead and do it anyway?

We need to improve our play calling AND retain our best skill players and recruit more. We need an OC that can do both.

Vic So'oto isn't white
Burl Toler isn't white
Tre Watson isn't white
Marty Wilson isn't white

Only Charmin Smith is a "head coach, coordinator in football or a top athletics administrator" and she was hired later in 2019, again after the photo I referenced was taken and the AD received flak.

So not relevant, but

Again, this is all a digression. My point was to refute what I thought was Bear Goggles' assertion that Cal can't win because our athletic department is too PC. He says he didn't say that, so we don't need to clutter the thread with any more of this.

Believe what you want to about Knowlton and Cal athletics, but I do not see them as progressive, imaginative, creative or smart. They have an antiquated view of athletics. That is why we are in the mess we are in.

We can return to speculation about who Wilcox will/should hire for the OC position.

I will always call out exaggerated criticism, especially when it makes something factually incorrect. Just stick to the facts, and you will be alright.
Nasal Mucus Goldenbear

calumnus
oski003 said:

calumnus said:

oski003 said:

calumnus said:

BearGoggles said:

oskidunker said:

BearGoggles said:

calumnus said:

killa22 said:

BulaBear3cubs said:

Vic So'oto isn't white
Burl Toler isn't white
Tre Watson isn't white
Marty Wilson isn't white

So not relevant, but

I will always call out exaggerated criticism, especially when it makes something factually incorrect. Just stick to the facts, and you will be alright.

What was factually incorrect with "soon after Fox was hired…." The examples you gave did not refute my statement about Knowlton other than Sandoval technically still being on payroll even though he was already into his retirement.

Though, not relevant to my statement, I am still curious what race/ethnicity you are counting Andrew Browning as?

oski003
calumnus said:

oski003 said:

calumnus said:

oski003 said:

calumnus said:

BearGoggles said:

oskidunker said:

BearGoggles said:

calumnus said:

killa22 said:

BulaBear3cubs said:

Vic So'oto isn't white
Burl Toler isn't white
Tre Watson isn't white
Marty Wilson isn't white

So not relevant, but

What was factually incorrect with "soon after Fox was hired…." The examples you gave did not refute my statement about Knowlton other than Sandoval technically still being on payroll even though he was already into his retirement.

Though, not relevant to my statement, I am still curious what race/ethnicity you are counting Andrew Browning as?

I meant to type Terrence Brown, not Andrew Browning. What was factually incorrect is you said top 40 or 50 in the athletic department when you likely should have said top 10 to 15, along with the Cal track coach not being white. You would have just been better off referencing your data point, which was a picture you saw.
calumnus
oski003 said:

calumnus said:

oski003 said:

calumnus said:

oski003 said:

calumnus said:

BearGoggles said:

oskidunker said:

BearGoggles said:

calumnus said:

killa22 said:

BulaBear3cubs said:

Vic So'oto isn't white
Burl Toler isn't white
Tre Watson isn't white
Marty Wilson isn't white

So not relevant, but

I meant to type Terrence Brown, not Andrew Browning. What was factually incorrect is you said top 40 or 50 in the athletic department when you likely should have said top 10 to 15, along with the Cal track coach not being white. You would have just been better off referencing your data point, which was a picture you saw.

I can no longer find that photo in the Cal Athletic Department's archives, so yeah that could be faulty memory/exaggeration. I do remember it as a very large group photo however.

Sandoval, who I remember well from when I was a student in the 80s, was definitely not in the photo. It appears he had retired and his replacement had not yet been hired.
oski003
calumnus said:

oski003 said:

calumnus said:

oski003 said:

calumnus said:

oski003 said:

calumnus said:

BearGoggles said:

oskidunker said:

BearGoggles said:

calumnus said:

killa22 said:

BulaBear3cubs said:

Vic So'oto isn't white
Burl Toler isn't white
Tre Watson isn't white
Marty Wilson isn't white

So not relevant, but

I can no longer find that photo in the Cal Athletic Department's archives. Again, Sandoval had retired and his replacement had not yet been hired.

DiabloWags

calumnus said:

I can no longer find that photo in the Cal Athletic Department's archives. Again, Sandoval had retired and his replacement had not yet been hired.

Correct.

Sandoval's retirement was announced in March.
Johnson was hired in June 2019 immediately after the season ended.

Robyne had been a Cal assistant coach from
1995 - 2003.
oski003
DiabloWags said:

calumnus said:

Correct.

Sandoval's retirement was announced in March.
Johnson was hired in June 2019 immediately after the season ended.

Robyne had been a Cal assistant coach from
1995 - 2003.

Sandoval coached until the end of the 2019 season (May/June).

https://calbears.com/news/2019/3/18/track-field-sandoval-to-retire-after-37-years-at-cal.aspx

Robyne Johnson was hired in June 2019.

https://calbears.com/news/2019/6/12/robyne-johnson-named-director-of-track-field-cross-country.aspx

It must be very confusing for you to always come in and address my posts without ever actually reading them.
DiabloWags
calumnus said:

I can no longer find that photo in the Cal Athletic Department's archives, so yeah that could be faulty memory/exaggeration. I do remember it as a very large group photo however.

Sandoval, who I remember well from when I was a student in the 80s, was definitely not in the photo. It appears he had retired and his replacement had not yet been hired.

I covered the Cal T&F team as a contributing reporter for Bearinsider under Chris Avery.
More importantly, I was a volunteer for the program from 2003 - 2010.
Tony Sandoval wasnt in that photo.

I traveled with the team, hung out with the coaching staff after meets, and got to know the Cal administrators who oversaw and managed Cal track and field ( Foti Mellis and Teresa Kuehn Gould ). Havent been associated at all with the program since I worked the Pac-10's that Cal hosted in 2010. That was my last meet. Sadly, the Cal bureaucracy has had a well-documented track record of being as tone-deaf and incompetent in T&F as it appears that they are with the revenue sports like Football and Basketball.

Sandoval was initially hired as an interim coach after Cal forced out Olympian Chris Huffins. Associate AD Teresa Kuhn Gould spent an entire summer interviewing several national championship coaches (distance guru Jerry Schumacher of Wisco who now heads University of Oregon AND the Bowerman Track Club, Greg Kraft of ASU, etc) who would never come to Cal in the first place for the money being offered. As a result, Gould came up empty handed. Cal assistant coach Tony Sandoval was their default hire from within. Even though the program consistently finished near the bottom of the Conference, Sandoval was given an extension by Mike Williams. Sound familiar?

Unfortunately, we have an athletic administration that doesnt care about winning.
Moreover, they lack the ability to have any kind of "vision" or long-term strategic plan for winning.
They are typical government workers who lack creativity, brains, and accountability.
I suspect that they wouldnt last more than 3 months at a job in Silicon Valley.

As long as you run a "clean" program, dont go over budget, and dont nag the AD for a fully-funded program, better pay for your assistants, and money towards new equipment, you can be left alone as a coach to literally run a program "forever" that never wins.

concernedparent
wifeisafurd said:

concernedparent said:

wifeisafurd said:

oskidunker said:

BearGoggles said:

calumnus said:

killa22 said:

BulaBear3cubs said:

The Cal football team is not 100% vaccinated because certain people assert exemptions. Something about glass houses and throwing stones here when it comes to Rolo? .

If have to believe that if Wilcox wants Rolo, there would have to be an understanding that Rolo has to keep his opinions to himself.
Are those people University figureheads and are they known to have cited conspiracy theories and made up religious convictions?
I guess we can debate all that on the O/T board. But there are players (and maybe coaches) on the team with strong religious convictions and who have views you obviously disagree with. It's a big tent. I might add football tend to attract the more socially and politically conservative, and from everything I see, Cal football players tend to be more conservative than the average Cal student.

My experience with the type of litigation Rolo is involved with there will be a lot of dispute as to who said what when. I might add I suspect I probably don't agree with Rolo's views on certain topics, but that is irrelevant.

Assuming Wilcox is even going to with Rolo (which is a big assumption), Wilcox has to make an assessment if Rolo fits with the team (players and staff) and the universtiy. I don't know how any of this goes without a discussion with the administration, and an understanding that on non-football topics, the team's view come from one person, the head coach.

The other issue I have with Rolo (and with Troy Taylor) is that it seems like he is a short timer. Once he rehabs his reputation, he is off to a HC position. I like Frost or some others that seem like they would make a longer commitment to Cal. before they pursue HC positions.

I'm not bothered by players or coaches applying for exemptions for sincerely held religious beliefs. That's a bit different from being the University's most highly paid and visible employee and being into wacko conspiracies.
Bobodeluxe
concernedparent said:

wifeisafurd said:

concernedparent said:

wifeisafurd said:

oskidunker said:

BearGoggles said:

calumnus said:

killa22 said:

BulaBear3cubs said:

The Cal football team is not 100% vaccinated because certain people assert exemptions. Something about glass houses and throwing stones here when it comes to Rolo? .

If have to believe that if Wilcox wants Rolo, there would have to be an understanding that Rolo has to keep his opinions to himself.
Are those people University figureheads and are they known to have cited conspiracy theories and made up religious convictions?
I guess we can debate all that on the O/T board. But there are players (and maybe coaches) on the team with strong religious convictions and who have views you obviously disagree with. It's a big tent. I might add football tend to attract the more socially and politically conservative, and from everything I see, Cal football players tend to be more conservative than the average Cal student.

My experience with the type of litigation Rolo is involved with there will be a lot of dispute as to who said what when. I might add I suspect I probably don't agree with Rolo's views on certain topics, but that is irrelevant.

Assuming Wilcox is even going to with Rolo (which is a big assumption), Wilcox has to make an assessment if Rolo fits with the team (players and staff) and the universtiy. I don't know how any of this goes without a discussion with the administration, and an understanding that on non-football topics, the team's view come from one person, the head coach.

The other issue I have with Rolo (and with Troy Taylor) is that it seems like he is a short timer. Once he rehabs his reputation, he is off to a HC position. I like Frost or some others that seem like they would make a longer commitment to Cal. before they pursue HC positions.

I'm not bothered by players or coaches applying for exemptions for sincerely held religious beliefs. That's a bit different from being the University's most highly paid and visible employee and being into wacko conspiracies.
No need to denigrate most of the posters here.
Rushinbear
concernedparent said:

wifeisafurd said:

concernedparent said:

wifeisafurd said:

oskidunker said:

BearGoggles said:

calumnus said:

killa22 said:

BulaBear3cubs said:

How is it different and who gets to define wacko conspiracies?
concernedparent
Rushinbear said:

concernedparent said:

wifeisafurd said:

concernedparent said:

wifeisafurd said:

oskidunker said:

BearGoggles said:

calumnus said:

killa22 said:

BulaBear3cubs said:

I do. Next question.
Rushinbear
concernedparent said:

Rushinbear said:

concernedparent said:

wifeisafurd said:

concernedparent said:

wifeisafurd said:

oskidunker said:

BearGoggles said:

calumnus said:

killa22 said:

BulaBear3cubs said:

I do. Next question.
well, when you fire off firey accusations, don't you think that there ought to be something more behind it than, "It's my right?"
TheBird
What kind of rock have you been living under to think the vaccine works??! What happened to 98 percent efficacy?! Holy smokes man. Holy smokes.
-TheBird

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.