Ott and Sturdivant

4,827 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by 4thGenCal
Boot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So will they transfer and who else might leave?
oski003
Boot said:

If we step up, they will stay. I think we can do it. We just need to make sure to also get help on both lines.
BearoutEast67
How many Stanfurd trolls are there on this board?
Donate to Cal's NIL at https://calegends.com/donation/
Boot
Seriously Dude?
IHouseBear
Ott is at Cal because he wants to get into the Haas Business School in his third year. I don't think he is leaving.
72CalBear
They were both showcased here in spite of the season. Will their exposure suffer if they stay? Maybe with winning programs?
Econ141
IHouseBear said:

Ott is at Cal because he wants to get into the Haas Business School in his third year. I don't think he is leaving.

I wish this were true but you can't tell me his #1 priority isn't NFL. Good business schools, even if not the best, exist at schools not needing to cross their fingers for a revamped o-line and OC hire.
Big Dog
IHouseBear said:

There are plenty of great b-schools that he could transfer into, immediately, and not have to wait until he's a Junior. (Hint, a couple of them might just be in the Four announced next Sunday.)
oski003
Big Dog said:

IHouseBear said:

There are plenty of great b-schools that he could transfer into, immediately, and not have to wait until he's a Junior. (Hint, a couple of them might just be in the Four announced next Sunday.)

Cal grads generally have a higher definition of great than you do. I will accept, however, that other schools do have undergraduate business schools that are easier to get into.
tc3590
I think Mavin Anderson showed a lot of promise this year too. Hopefully he stays as well.
Big Dog
oski003 said:

Big Dog said:

IHouseBear said:

Cal grads generally have a higher definition of great than you do. I will accept, however, that other schools do have undergraduate business schools that are easier to get into.
Haas is ranked #3 this year by USNews. Ross is #4, McCombs is #7, USC is tied for #8.

In quants & poets undergrads', Marshall is #3, McIntyre is #5, Ross is #6, Mendoza is #8. (Haas is unranked as they don't participate in the survey material.)

If Cal grads find a significant difference between 3 and 4, or even 8, then they flunked Pisani's Stat class.

The big advantage that Haas has is access to local VC & SV. And the downside is that west coast is not a large feeder to Wall Street, likely because of personal & geographic preference. (Working in NYC can be a drag.) I used to know a recruiter for GS and she said that she'd make plenty of offers to Cal grads, but the acceptance rate was lower relative to top northeast colleges.
oski003
Haas is #2, not 3. Looks like he can go from 2 to 4 if he wants to transfer to the cold. If USC makes it in, he can go to #8.

Football-wise, Cal came in 9th in the conference and had a great season, like Utah, who came in second.
Big C

Let's get real: What with the portal and NIL, it has probably crossed the mind of almost every single player in the land that the grass might be greener on the other side of the fence. This off-season is going to be the Wild Freaking West.
Bobodeluxe
Big C said:

Let's get real: What with the portal and NIL, it has probably crossed the mind of almost every single player in the land that the grass might be greener on the other side of the fence. This off-season is going to be the Wild Freaking West.
We have an advantage in that our newest laundry has stripes on the shoulders.
IHouseBear
Haas is tied with MIT at number 2. Penn is number 1. I guess if he wanted to play in the Ivy League, he could transfer to Penn.
Grrrrah76
J.Michael ended the season as the top freshman receiver in the country, while playing for Cal. Why would he leave again? I think the players are waiting to see who the next Offensive Coordinator is and what direction the offense will take, but I am guessing/hoping most of these guys stay. It seems like a lot of portal transfers are talented players buried in their present team's depth charts, which isn't the case with Cal. IF we can fix our OL, our offense should be explosive in 2023.
bencgilmore
tc3590 said:

I think Mavin Anderson showed a lot of promise this year too. Hopefully he stays as well.
I also hope so, but in my mind Hunter and Sturdivant clearly established themselves as options 1a & 1b. More consistent, better size / speed / hops, more big plays, and you simply saw them involved more often.

Clearly there's plenty of snaps for as many as 4-5 receivers to get meaningful snaps, and Mavin is the most obvious fit as the slot / possession receiver alongside the above two if he can become more consistent. Young was pretty good too though.

My gut feeling is Hunter, Sturdivant and Ott results in the most overall non-QB skill talent since the Tedford days.
Big C
Grrrrah76 said:

J.Michael ended the season as the top freshman receiver in the country, while playing for Cal. Why would he leave again? I think the players are waiting to see who the next Offensive Coordinator is and what direction the offense will take, but I am guessing/hoping most of these guys stay. It seems like a lot of portal transfers are talented players buried in their present team's depth charts, which isn't the case with Cal. IF we can fix our OL, our offense should be explosive in 2023.

If he's "the top freshman receiver in the country"*, don't you think several other schools are going to offer to pay him? Possibly (probably) more than we can?

It's a whole new world: They are all weighing their offers/opportunities.

* I really hesitate to call a player a "freshman" when they were on the team all of last season and actually played in some games (2 or 3, IIRC). More accurately, he started this season with all 4 years of his eligibility remaining.
graguna
If these guys are good enough, they'll be drafted regardless of CAL's W-L record. Look at Goff. And if they get injured or aren't good enough a CAL degree will help. If I were their parent I'd advise them to stay.
golden sloth
Big C said:

Yea, this off-season I suspect we will see the full impact of the transfer portal and NIL money as the big schools will offer gobs of money to the best players at the non-bluebloods to plug roster lineups.
Meanwhile the passed over players at the blue bloods will seek playing time at lesser schools.

It would not surprise me if it is common for 20% of a roster to consist of transfer players.
oski003
golden sloth said:

Big C said:

Yea, this off-season I suspect we will see the full impact of the transfer portal and NIL money as the big schools will offer gobs of money to the best players at the non-bluebloods to plug roster lineups.
Meanwhile the passed over players at the blue bloods will seek playing time at lesser schools.

It would not surprise me if it is common for 20% of a roster to consist of transfer players.

USC acquired 33 free agents just this past off-season.
Bobodeluxe
Acquired or hired. It's business. A laundry business.
oursdor
Bobodeluxe said:

I feel terrible for the coaches, administrators and broadcast networks doing it for the love of the game plus room and board.
dimitrig
Boot said:

They are big-time players and we need to make sure we do everything we can to make playing Cal football attractive to them.

dimitrig
graguna said:

If these guys are good enough, they'll be drafted regardless of CAL's W-L record. Look at Goff. And if they get injured or aren't good enough a CAL degree will help. If I were their parent I'd advise them to stay.

True, but with NIL they can make big money right now as a hedge and still have the same shot at making it to the NFL and/or obtaining a degree.

Bobodeluxe
oursdor said:

Bobodeluxe said:

I feel terrible for the coaches, administrators and broadcast networks doing it for the love of the game plus room and board.

Like I said. It's a business. A laundry business. If you don't have the startup money, the competition will crush you. The UC Berkeley Bears will be crushed because few monied alums have any interest in buying in.
StrawberryCanyon
Big C said:

Grrrrah76 said:

If he's "the top freshman receiver in the country"*, don't you think several other schools are going to offer to pay him? Possibly (probably) more than we can?

* I really hesitate to call a player a "freshman" when they were on the team all of last season and actually played in some games (2 or 3, IIRC). More accurately, he started this season with all 4 years of his eligibility remaining.
Two words: Demetris Robertson. How'd that work out?
Big C
StrawberryCanyon said:

Big C said:

Grrrrah76 said:

Well, he left. And the point is, that was when the $$$ was under the table.

Not saying it is their best interests to leave... and many won't. But they are ALL looking at their options. Some might leave the top programs to seek out more playing time. Lots of variables. For the guys from families who have struggled financially, it's gonna be tough to resist the temptation to get the most they can, while they can.

Mass confusion, going into fall 2023.
01Bear
StrawberryCanyon said:

Big C said:

Grrrrah76 said:

To be fair, (IRC from what other posters in the forum mentioned) he left because a family member was actually ailing and he really wanted to be closer to help that family member. Absent that sudden illness, he wasn't looking to transfer.
Cal Strong!
For a freshman, Ott performed far above and beyond our wildest dreams. But it must be said -- he had 170 carries and he didn't get particularly close to 1,000 yards.

Often times in sports, so-so players look a lot better than they are because they are playing on a terrible team. You see this in the NBA all the time, where a guy on a bad team gets a bunch of points because no one else is good enough to shoot.

This is no put-down of Ott. The young man worked his tail off and had a great first season. But I am not sure if he performed so unbelievably well that there will be a ton of schools knocking down his door.
Oski87
Ott finished in the top 5 for True freshman rushing and reviving stats this year, nationally. He is a star and will be sought after. But he is getting and will continue to get NIL from Cal's collective. If you want to help, sign up. It is it the big boosters who fund the collectives - Tennessee has over 20,000 participants. You have to spread the word. Send a text to all your friends.
Sebastabear
Oski87 said:

Ott finished in the top 5 for True freshman rushing and reviving stats this year, nationally. He is a star and will be sought after. But he is getting and will continue to get NIL from Cal's collective. If you want to help, sign up. It is it the big boosters who fund the collectives - Tennessee has over 20,000 participants. You have to spread the word. Send a text to all your friends.
Word.

CAlegends.com
calumnus
Oski87 said:

Imagine if Musgrave hadn't repeatedly slammed him into a stacked box on first down and got him the ball outside in space instead?
GivemTheAxe
StrawberryCanyon said:

Big C said:

Grrrrah76 said:

Good argument

Being a 4* player at Cal will almost guarantee you making First Team and plenty of playing time to show what you've got.
Cal Strong!
calumnus said:

Oski87 said:

Imagine if Musgrave hadn't repeatedly slammed him into a stacked box on first down and got him the ball outside in space instead?
Cal Strong think Ott's game best inside and narrow outside -- not necessarily in wide open space. This allows Otto to use his patience and strong instincts as blocks develop. This why he so good at shovel passes.

But a more spread out attack could still allow Ott to do this better -- with 5 lineman and either a TE or a single FB or a single wingback. Actually, Spavital's inside screen game would be strong for Ott.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.