Offensive Coordinator

8,449 Views | 68 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by calumnus
DavisBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Any idea when they will make the announcement?
JimSox
Better hurry up before half the team leaves
KoreAmBear
I'm not too worried about timing. I am worried about the actual OC that Wilcox selects. He's been 0 for 2 and needs a home run hire at this point.
Dduster
You need to worry about Wilcox putting together a functional OLine. One where the athletic level is above PWO level that characterizes the Bears versus the rest of the Pac 12. Neither Baldwin or Musgrave had a decent OLine while being OC here. Greatwood was in retirement and McClure couldn't recruit or develop.
golden sloth
Dduster said:

You need to worry about Wilcox putting together a functional OLine. One where the athletic level is above PWO level that characterizes the Bears versus the rest of the Pac 12. Neither Baldwin or Musgrave had a decent OLine while being OC here. Greatwood was in retirement and McClure couldn't recruit or develop.
or find an OC that can mitigate a subpar oline.
Pittstop
There is heavy speculation elsewhere that it's Gunderson from fUCLA.
KoreAmBear
Pittstop said:

Hmm. He's certainly young lol. Can he recruit?
6956bear
KoreAmBear said:

Pittstop said:

Hmm. He's certainly young lol.
And yet he is older than the LA Rams HC. Either you can coach or you can't.
KoreAmBear
6956bear said:

KoreAmBear said:

Pittstop said:

And new ASU HC Kenny Dillingham is 4 years younger. Let's go with a twenty-something!
golden sloth
KoreAmBear said:

6956bear said:

KoreAmBear said:

Pittstop said:

And new ASU HC Kenny Dillingham is 4 years younger. Let's go with a twenty-something!
Think bigger! I know a high schooler that won the Madden 2022 challenge on Xbox, let's grab him!
calumnus
Pittstop said:

Another Oregon (born in Portland, played for OSU) guy, so fits Wilcox's comfort zone.

If he is as good as Jonathan Smith then maybe? Any thoughts on his San Jose offenses? Tough to evaluate him at UCLA.

We were sure Holmoe finally got it right stealing Al Borge's from UCLA. This reminds me of that.
tequila4kapp
calumnus said:

Pittstop said:

Another Oregon (born in Portland, played for OSU) guy, so fits Wilcox's comfort zone.

If he is as good as Jonathan Smith then maybe? Any thoughts on his San Jose offenses? Tough to evaluate him at UCLA.

We were sure Holmoe finally got it right stealing Al Borge's from UCLA. This reminds me of that.

That's just a geographic coincidence. Gunderson is Oregon State and has no obvious connection to the Wilcox 'Oregon-UW-Boise St-Wisconsin' coaching tree.
Pittstop
His San Jose offenses were top 10 in that nation in Yards per game, passing efficiency, rushing ypc, and a bunch of other stuff that was posted about him yesterday. Was voted Assistant of the Year, a Broyles Award winner. Considered a good recruiter (Justyn Martin and others. Is credited for the explosive improvement of DTR over the last two seasons since arriving at fUCLA in '21 as QB coach.
calumnus
Pittstop said:

His San Jose offenses were top 10 in that nation in Yards per game, passing efficiency, rushing ypc, and a bunch of other stuff that was posted about him yesterday. Was voted Assistant of the Year, a Broyles Award winner. Considered a good recruiter (Justyn Martin and others. Is credited for the explosive improvement of DTR over the last two seasons since arriving at fUCLA in '21 as QB coach.

If he can pull Justyn Martin back to Cal I'm all in.
calumnus
tequila4kapp said:

calumnus said:

Pittstop said:

That's just a geographic coincidence. Gunderson is Oregon State and has no obvious connection to the Wilcox 'Oregon-UW-Boise St-Wisconsin' coaching tree.

We have other Oregon State guys on the staff, it is improbable that the geographical thing is just a "coincidence" but if he is good, he is good. Jonathan Smith is clearly good. I'd take him. If Gunderson can bring Justyn Martin with him I'd be very happy.
CAL4LIFE
CAL4LIFE
https://uclabruins.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/ryan-gunderson/3678
eastcoastcal

Take it as you will. Someone else on BI said same thing. Again, read with grain of salt. Just posting here to get a read.
Econ141
eastcoastcal said:

Take it as you will. Someone else on BI said same thing. Again, read with grain of salt. Just posting here to get a read.

Everything we do is a clown show.
Nasal Mucus Goldenbear
eastcoastcal said:

This better not be another Dave Aranda-like disastrous interference.
Arcadiabear
jimmy lake part 2?

the coaching staff has to be the worst sales people of all time. they cant sell recruits and cant even sell an OC who will likely get a big raise
DavisBear
Now that tweet is showing as deleted???

Anyone know what the latest is?
Big C
Pittstop said:

Perhaps important to note about "his" offenses at SJS: According to his bio, he wasn't OC there, but rather QB coach and "passing game coordinator".
GivemTheAxe
golden sloth said:

Dduster said:

or find an OC that can mitigate a subpar oline.

BINGO!!!
I don't see anyone developing or recruiting a decent/good OLine in 1 or 2 years.
But we should be able to develop a game plan that makes up for some of the deficiencies of a poor Line

In my years watching Cal football I have seen many situations where a team with a not-so-good OLine out schemes the other team. Unfortunately Cal is often the team getting out schemed.).

So I know that it can be done .
Pittstop
Kind of like Shanahan and Mike McDaniel. Miami was able to extrapolate. Same with Kellly and Gunderson at fUCLA. Kelly's offense, that suddenly became super explosive again when Gunderson became the QB coach in '21. DTR suddenly became super efficient and explosive.
AmadorBear
Has Gunderson even called plays? He sure is heck didn't at UCLA as Chip handles that role…..as we all know.
killa22
I'm crazy but I'd take Tony Franklin back over a lot of these dudes
WalterSobchak
killa22 said:

TFS is fine for the most part but his situational awareness and ability/wilingness to throttle down when needed was a huge problem at Cal.
Big C
WalterSobchak said:

killa22 said:

TFS is fine for the most part but his situational awareness and ability/wilingness to throttle down when needed was a huge problem at Cal.

Yeah, I got so sick of that "drop 50 on 'em" s***.
Big C
killa22 said:

killa22: Spav is getting talked about again. How do you like him, vis-a-vis Franklin and some of the other candidates getting mentioned here this week?
calumnus
killa22 said:

I liked Franklin. I'm not getting a great feeling on this. Wilcox needs a home run, scheme and recruiting.
KoreAmBear
calumnus said:

killa22 said:

I liked Franklin. I'm not getting a great feeling on this. Wilcox needs a home run, scheme and recruiting.
Sounds like Plan C or D coming up. But heck wasn't Tedford Plan B as I recall?
wifeisafurd
DavisBear said:

Any idea when they will make the announcement?
2022 maybe
killa22
Big C said:

WalterSobchak said:

killa22 said:

Yeah, I got so sick of that "drop 50 on 'em" s***.

The drop 50 was more Treggs lol, and probably Likens tbh.
killa22
Big C said:

killa22 said:

killa22: Spav is getting talked about again. How do you like him, vis-a-vis Franklin and some of the other candidates getting mentioned here this week?

I dig Spav, he's a solid dude. Knows his stuff, but not as experienced as TF. TFS seen stuff.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.