Story Poster
Photo by calbears.com
Cal Football

Cal Brings Aboard Former BSU and UCD Coordinator Tim Plough as New TE Coach

December 11, 2022

BERKELEY – Travers Family Head Football Coach Justin Wilcox announced Monday that Mike Bloesch (offensive line coach/run game coordinator) and Tim Plough (tight ends coach) have agreed to join the Cal staff.

"We are excited to add a pair of excellent coaches and recruiters to our staff," Wilcox said. "Both have strong credentials and skill sets that are going to be tremendous assets to our program and help us win football games.”

Plough has coached previously at Boise State (2021-22), his alma mater UC Davis (2008-12, 2017-20) and Northern Arizona (2013-16) with his experience including 11 campaigns as an offensive coordinator.

During his second stint at UC Davis, Plough mentored two of the top players in school history in wide receiver Keelan Doss and quarterback Jake Maier with the duo picking up back-to-back Big Sky Offensive Player of the Year honors in 2017 (Doss) and 2018 (Maier). Doss was also a finalist for the 2017 Walter Payton Award given annually to the best FCS player in the nation, while Maier led the 2018 Aggies to a Division I era record for victories with a 10-3 record, as well as a share of the Big Sky title and the school's first FCS playoff appearance.

"I am thrilled to add a coach with Tim's credentials and experience coordinating an offense to our staff," Wilcox said. "He is an innovative and versatile coach who has produced strong offenses and is well-respected in the coaching profession."

"It's exciting to join this staff and the football program at Cal," Plough said. "We have great potential to be a championship program, and I'm looking forward to doing everything I can to help us maximize our potential and take advantage of the opportunities in front of us. There are excellent players on our roster, and I can't wait to get to work with them and bring more talent in to join them."

Boise State – Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks (2021-22)
– Part of the coaching staff that recruited the Mountain West’s second-ranked recruiting class and the highest-ranked group in school history in 2021
– Offense led MWC and ranked seventh nationally in red zone offense in 2021 by scoring on 92.5% of their trips to the red zone while also checking in among the top three teams in the Mountain West and upper half of the NCAA in fumbles lost (5, No. 2T MWC, No. 20T NCAA), fewest penalties (60, No. 3 MWC, No. 17 NCAA), fewest penalties per game (5.00, No. 3 MWC, No. 22 NCAA), turnover margin (0.58, No. 3 MWC, No. 22 NCAA), third down conversions (44.2%, No. 3 MWC, No. 28 NCAA) and completion percentage (62.1%, No. 3 MWC, No. 57 NCAA)
– First-team All-MWC wide receiver Khalil Shakir registered career highs of 77 receptions, 1117 yards receiving (No. 3 MWC, No. 24 NCAA) and seven touchdowns in 2021 with his per-game marks in receiving yards (93.1, No. 4 MWC, No. 22 NCAA) and receptions (6.4, No. 5 MWC, No. 22 NCAA) also among conference and national bests
– Coached three offensive linemen who earned All-MWC honors in 2021 with John Ojukwu a first-teamer while Ben Dooley and Jake Stetz picked up second-team recognition, while mentoring quarterback Hank Bachmeier to career-high numbers in completions (252), passing yards (3079, No. 4 MWC, No. 24 NCAA), touchdowns (20) and passing yards per game (256.6, No. 4 MWC, No. 24 NCAA), while his 62.8% completion percentage was also third in the MWC and 23rd nationally

UC Davis – Associate Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks (2019-2020); Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks (2017-18, 2010-12); Quarterbacks (2009); Student Assistant (2008)
– Ranked third in the Big Sky and sixth nationally in 2019 in passing offense (309.2), as well as among conference and/or national FCS leaders in sacks allowed (1.17, No. 2 Big Sky, No. 15 FCS), completion percentage (64.9%, No. 2 Big Sky, No. 9 NCAA), tackles for loss allowed (5.25, No. 4 Big Sky, No. 25 FCS) and total offense (No. 22 NCAA, 433.0)
– Helped squad to Division I era records for overall (10) and conference (7) victories as well as a share of the Big Sky title, a 10-3 record and the school’s first FCS playoff appearance in 2018, where the Aggies won in the Round of 16 to reach the quarterfinals, by ranking among national FCS leaders in passing offense (322.8, No. 3), total offense (488.9, No. 7) and scoring offense (39.7, No. 8)
– Coached a pair of dynamic offensive players in back-to-back Big Sky Offensive Players of the Year wide receiver Keelan Doss (2017) and quarterback Jake Maier (2018) with both on the Walter Payton Award Watch List in 2018 to mark the first time in school history multiple Aggies were on the list with Doss a finalist in 2017 and Maier in 2018
– Offense produced more total yards (16884) than any other team in FBS or FCS during three-year period from 2017-19
– Mentored Doss in his final two campaigns of a four-year career in which he finished with 321 receptions for 4069 yards and 28 touchdowns
– Coached Maier during all three of his campaigns in which he completed 992-of-1495 passes for 11163 yards (No. 8 in Big Sky history) with 88 touchdowns throws to become the school’s career record holder for completions, passing attempts and passing yards, while ranking second in touchdown passes
– Became the youngest offensive coordinator in the nation (FBS and FCS) at the time at the age of 25 in 2010
– Received a 35 Under 35 award from the American Football Coaches Association in 2019
– Team did not play in the fall of 2020 due to COVID

Northern Arizona – Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks (2015-16); Wide Receivers (2013-14)
– A finalist for AFCA Assistant Coach of the Year honors when the Lumberjacks finished among the top 10 nationally in the FCS in fewest sacks allowed (0.73, No. 5), passing offense (318.8, No. 7) and total offense (475.5, No. 9)
– Promoted to offensive coordinator in 2015 and directed an offense for a 7-4 squad that led the FCS in passing efficiency (180.18) while ranking among national FCS leaders in scoring offense (39.3, No. 7) and passing offense (303.2, No. 8)
– Coached a pair of 2015 FCS All-Americans and first-team All-Big Sky selections in quarterback Case Cookus and wide receiver Emmanuel Butler with Cookus adding STATS FCS Freshman of the Year honors with both (Cookus, 2015, Butler, 2016) also finalists for the Walter Payton Award and Cookus ending his career ranked fourth all-time in the Big Sky in passing yards (12082)
– Other first-team All-Big Sky players coached included running back Casey Jahn (2015), fullback Nick Butler (2014), tight end RJ Rickert (2013) and running back Zach Bauman (2013)
– Team posted a 28-17 record during his four-year tenure including a 9-3 mark in 2013

PLAYING CAREER
UC Davis, Quarterback (2003-07)
– Took over the team’s starting quarterback role as a 2007 senior and was a four-year letterwinner after redshirting as a true freshman in 2003
– On team for historic 2005 upset at Stanford

Ramona High School, Ramona, CA, Quarterback (2000-03)
– Two-sport standout who earned All-Valley League honors in both his senior 2002 football and 2003 baseball campaigns who also earned second-team All-San Diego State distinction in football and first-team All-State honors in baseball as a senior
– Earned second-team All-San Diego Section distinction in football as a 2002 senior while setting school career records for completions (312) and passing yards (5005)
– Elected into the Hall of Fame for the San Diego Chapter of the National Football Foundation Hall of Fame in 2003 for his distinguished high school football and academic career

OTHER
– Wife, Christine, is a Bay Area native
– Wife’s brother, Scott; grandfather, Dan; and great grandfather, Rollin, are all Cal graduates

YEAR-BY-YEAR COACHING POSITIONS
Season: Team – Position (Postseason, Notes)
2023: California – Tight Ends
2022: Boise State – Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks
2021: Boise State – Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks
2020: UC Davis – Associate Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks (No Fall 2020 Season Due To COVID)
2019: UC Davis – Associate Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks
2018: UC Davis – Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks (FCS Quarterfinals)
2017: UC Davis – Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks
2016: Northern Arizona – Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks
2015: Northern Arizona – Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks
2014: Northern Arizona – Wide Receivers
2013: Northern Arizona – Wide Receivers (FCS Playoffs First Round)
2012: UC Davis – Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks
2011: UC Davis – Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks
2010: UC Davis – Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks
2009: UC Davis – Quarterbacks
2008: UC Davis – Student Assistant

FILE
Pronunciation: PLOW
Birthdate: June 24, 1985
Hometown: San Diego, CA
High School: Ramona HS
College: UC Davis, 2008, Bachelor’s, History; Ohio, 2012, Master’s, Coaching Education
Family: Wife – Christine; Sons – Jackson, Camden, Bodie

Other stories:

Bears Add Mike Bloesch For OL/Run Game Coordinator

Jake Spavital Hired As Offensive Coordinator At Cal

Discussion from...

Cal Brings Aboard Former BSU and UCD Coordinator Tim Plough as New TE Coach

6,130 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Goobear
Valleyblue
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Did I miss something? Is Geep Chryst still here?
calumnus
Valleyblue said:

Sounds like he's been replaced.

Interesting that we will still have a TE coach.
calBlitz
calumnus said:

Valleyblue said:

Sounds like he's been replaced.

Interesting that we will still have a TE coach.
Aren't TEs in Spav's offense (Air Raid) essentially just another WR?
CamHand
Yahoo sports went out of their way to point out that Geep's profile is still on Calbears. I still see him on the coaching list...
ducky23
You would have had answers to all of these questions days ago if you were regular subscribers to the monster Oline thread
heartofthebear
These hires are encouraging and I'm not too worried about the portal departures...yet. Because, with these hires, we should pull in some apt replacements.
GivemTheAxe
heartofthebear said:

These hires are encouraging and I'm not too worried about the portal departures...yet. Because, with these hires, we should pull in some apt replacements.

Agree. I like the fact that one skill mentioned for all three new hires is an ability to help in recruiting
heartofthebear
GivemTheAxe said:

heartofthebear said:

Agree. I like the fact that one skill mentioned for all three new hires is an ability to help in recruiting
Plus, other than Coleman, we really haven't lost anyone at positions of need. I think we have mostly lost LBs and RBs lower down in the depth chart. Although Brooks was going to see playing time and Oledejo was a pac-12 leader, it's not like we don't have a lot of able bodied players to replace those guys. And I think/hope that our new OL, OC and TE coach can bring in some OLs. That would be huge, literally.
HearstMining
Ott has surprising power for his size, but it did seem like Brooks was our guy when we needed a tough couple of yards up the middle. I hope the staff can find a replacement for that.

Where have you gone, Chris Manderino? Cal Nation turns its lonely eyes to you - hoo, hoo, hoo.
calumnus
HearstMining said:

Ott has surprising power for his size, but it did seem like Brooks was our guy when we needed a tough couple of yards up the middle. I hope the staff can find a replacement for that.

Where have you gone, Chris Manderino? Cal Nation turns its lonely eyes to you - hoo, hoo, hoo.

Ott did not get outside runs until Musgrave's departure, and Mus usually predictably ran him into a stacked box on first and ten with predictable results.

New offense, wider splits, Muhammad had a lot of runs up the middle through gapping holes in 2015. Though Spavital used Enwere a lot in 2016.

Marty
Hopefully, he's an effective recruiter and position coach. To be clear, he was fired from his OC position as Boise State was floundering and former Cal commit Hank Bachmeier was flaming out. Starting with his departure, BSU's offense was completely revived, and what was looking like a lost season turned around and the Broncos made the MW championship game, losing to that Tedford guy, Nikko Remigio, and Fresno State. Hopefully a case of "good coach" and "not so good coordinator" who is in the right spot now and can produce for Cal.
MoragaBear
Staff
Marty said:

Hopefully, he's an effective recruiter and position coach. To be clear, he was fired from his OC position as Boise State was floundering and former Cal commit Hank Bachmeier was flaming out. Starting with his departure, BSU's offense was completely revived, and what was looking like a lost season turned around and the Broncos made the MW championship game, losing to that Tedford guy, Nikko Remigio, and Fresno State. Hopefully a case of "good coach" and "not so good coordinator" who is in the right spot now and can produce for Cal.
It's been suggested by more than a few Boise State connected people that he wasn't allowed to run his innovative style of offense and was made the fall guy for their bad start.
calumnus
MoragaBear said:

Marty said:

It's been suggested by more than a few Boise State connected people that he wasn't allowed to run his innovative style of offense and was made the fall guy for their bad start.

Will his role be larger than TE coach then?

Does this mean Geep Chryst is moving on or will have have another role?
Goobear
Looks like Geep is listed as Assistant
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.